or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199 - Page 2

post #41 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

To everyone who said it wouldn't happen...
To everyone who said it couldn't happen
To everyone who said it shouldn't happen...

I have one word for you...

HA!

About damn time Apple.

What are you? 5 years old?
post #42 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Does that mean we are now going to be inundated daily with stories about iPhone coming soon to Sprint or T-mobile? Of course it shouldn't be to hard for Sprint to provide iPhones to all 10 of their remaining customers.

OMFG. YES. A whole new round of stuff I couldn't care less about.
post #43 of 255
I consider the 5 device Mobile Hotspot to be the best news... apparently, AppleInsider thinks otherwise.
post #44 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

What is the announced feature that you would are waiting for in the iPhone 5?

Why would you want to pay full price on soon to be out of electronics?
post #45 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

IPhone 5 will come out when it is ready just like any other Product. As far as people getting angry well let them, I'd rather see solid updates than to have Apple avoid moving forward because a customer got angry over a new phone.

No LTE... I know you're shocked. I'm not.
It's ok, just try to be so patronizing next time someone disagrees with you.

xoxo
post #46 of 255
and i thought the white iPhone 4 would be announced together. seems to me the white model is forgotten
post #47 of 255
Mobile hotspot is the tradeoff for not having concurrent voice and data..
post #48 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

I suppose this means it has a sim card slot for traveling abroad to use GSM....this is great news!

Nope. If it was GSM it would say: You can use it in over 120 countries...
Europe alone has more than 30 countries in it.
post #49 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless Apple plans on changing release cycles, Verizon gets the iPhone 4 for four months by the standard reasoning. Waste of time for anyone who wants one; iPhone 5 would come out in the summer.

Ah, we just got a "We don't comment on [the refresh cycle]" from Tim Cook, so what I said above is probably what's going to happen.

So what? Your reasoning is ludicrous. It implies that everyone who buys an iphone must always update when a newer version is released, lest they be wasting their time. Do you always buy the very latest and greatest of everything? Geez, you must trade cars every year or two, replace your TV every year or so, and you must go through computers at a rate of two or three each year. You must spend a lot of time trying to always make certain that you have the latest and greatest of everything. Some people would say that is a waste of time. Some people would also say that it is a waste of my time responding to the idiotic notions that people on this forum are perpetually expounding. You have no idea in what ways the next iPhone will improve on the iPhone 4, and you cannot say anything about the extent to which Verizon subscribers who have been waiting a long while to update their phones will care about those newer features, if in fact there are any that amount to much at all.
post #50 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

No, I don't think people buying an iPhone4 now are stupid, hell they've been waiting for years and years. They'll see the refined antenna design, etc. it would be a good time to take the plunge for many. I'm on my iPhone4 at least until end of this year and even then I'll be seein' what the iPhone5 brings.

As for iPhone4 on Verizon or ATT... Those are really "teh stupids" if they get the WRONG BLOODY PHONE for their network!


Jun 2007 iPhone
Jul 2008 iPhone 3G
Jun 2009 iPhone 3G S
Jun 2010 iPhone 4
Feb 2011 iPhone 4 on Verizon
Jun 2011 iPhone 4 S
Jun 2012 iPhone 5
post #51 of 255
Is the phone pure CDMA? With regards to roaming, if I head up to Canada for the week end or to Europe, will I be without network coverage?
post #52 of 255
does facetime work over the CDMA link directly without WiFi? That's a big win for Verizon if it is (I apologize... I was on the road during the live cast). If not, then the voice/data limitation is a big whiff (not that I'm switching... I'm a 3 iPhone AT&T family plan with 1.5 years to wait).

But Facetime over CDMA plus a hotspot would be nice. (if anything, I could get a verizon iPhone 4 and use it to hotspot my AT&T iPhone and facetime from that;-)
post #53 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

How does the mobile hot spot work if I have another device tethered to my phone and I get a voice call? Does my data connection drop?

Yes. Ridiculous, isn't it?
post #54 of 255
Not sure which is more groundbreaking - hell freezing over or Verizon & Apple finally in bed together...
post #55 of 255
I am SO excited!!! Yay!!!

Today has been a glorious day... Britney Spears breaking radio records and iPhone on VZW!!!
post #56 of 255
I am perfectly fine with AT&T.

Why should anyone change, when you can't use the phone and data at the same time? So if one gets a call, and want to find a location on Google map, one has to hang up first. That sucks the fun out of iPhone. Not worth it!

I use my data more than phone. I am reading my mails when phone comes in, and I can handle both on AT&T. I can use phone and text at the same time. Internet search and phone, etc.

I am staying with AT&T. No, I am not going to switch, even if Verizon is giving iPhone for free!
post #57 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

well, in that case it's either means that iPhone 5 will be released in the summer for both AT&T and Verizon and will anger the new Verizon iPhone 4 customers or
the iPhone 5 will be released for both AT&T and Verizon next Feb (2012) and will anger(?) or disappoint everyone else who's waiting for the next model.

Doesn't make sense...

Yes, it does make sense, to any existing Verizon subscriber who likes the iPhone 4 and who has been waiting to get it and who has no reason to think that the next iPhone will have newer features that they will want and that will cause them to wish that they had waited.
post #58 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

To everyone who said it wouldn't happen...
To everyone who said it couldn't happen
To everyone who said it shouldn't happen...

I have one word for you...

HA!

About damn time Apple.

About damn time Apple? So they should have just broken their contract with AT&T and damn the consequences?
post #59 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by reklss41 View Post

AT&T will get iphone 5 first just like xbox 360 gets map packs first for every call of duty game.

I guess this will be the new mantra now that iPhone on Verizon has happened...

"Will AT&T get iP5 first?"

or, another mantra...

"Will iP5 come out in June... what will happen to all of the iP4 Verizon customers?"
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #60 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But why? Are they really going to pit them against each other like this with a staggered release?

How many times must you ask this and how many times must you ignore the data.

1) You ignore the sheer number of sales the iPhone has that makes even meeting the GSM demand difficult.

2) You ignore that Verizon customers want the iPhone.

3) You ignore that people buy stuff year round without concern of when it will be updated.

4) You ignore the potential for AT&Ts contract to see be in effect for exclusivity for new iPhone releases for a set time.


PS: Werent you the one who swore up and down that Apple would never have a new product come out right after Xmas despite the long history of this happening?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #61 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by reklss41 View Post

AT&T will get iphone 5 first

I love that you think you know this.
post #62 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a bit confusing though, or potentially so.

All the stupids will buy the new Verizon iPhone without thinking of the relatively imminent release of iPhone 5. Perhaps Verizon has already worked out a deal with Apple where they will offer a great deal on an upgrade when that happens.

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't name it something else, like "iPhone 4v" or something. It seems odd to have two products with the same name that aren't actually the same thing and don't even operate if you buy the wrong one for your network.

that is as dumb as a silent thing. The phone is the same. The sim is different. If this was a non-American release ( iPhone 4 released on Chinese network) you wouldnt be the least surprised that it wasnt called anything except IP4.

And who cares if people buy now and dont get the IP5 until next year, or whenever.

I am a fanboy with a 3GS as I *had* to upgrade this time last year, my first gen was bust. I missed the IP4 but will now get the IP5. And not on release, but a month later. This is the way that phones and contracts work. With an 18 month contract you *cant* get the latest and greatest on release - because they are yearly. I learned to live with it.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #63 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Speaking of which, DED should have wrote that article

On his blog though he pretends he was still correct.

You should not even mention Roughly Drafted Magazine, the way you were thoroughly humiliated yesterday, your total loss of cool, anger out of control, and finally being just ignored by every member there, is still on-line for the whole www to read. Still you brag about it! Should the whole world come to read your humiliation?
post #64 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I guess this will be the new mantra now that iPhone on Verizon has happened...

"Will AT&T get iP5 first?"

or, another mantra...

"Will iP5 come out in June... what will happen to all of the iP4 Verizon customers?"

Yes the idiocy never stops.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #65 of 255
Could a person use Google Voice or Talkatone or some other VOIP app and abandon the voice connection all together?

- Jasen.
post #66 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Is the phone pure CDMA? With regards to roaming, if I head up to Canada for the week end or to Europe, will I be without network coverage?

When I had a CDMA phone (I'm from Canada) it worked in every province I've ever been in, ftr.
post #67 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless Apple plans on changing release cycles, Verizon gets the iPhone 4 for four months by the standard reasoning. Waste of time for anyone who wants one; iPhone 5 would come out in the summer.

Ah, we just got a "We don't comment on [the refresh cycle]" from Tim Cook, so what I said above is probably what's going to happen.


MAYBE they don't plan to change release cycles AND MAYBE Apple already has a CDMA iPhone 5 in development alongside the iPhone 5 for the ATT network.

The truth is we don't know what's going to happen until the next announcement.
post #68 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

No international coverage (this also results in less demand for selling your used iPhone)

Verizon iphone4 FAQ:
Quote:
Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally.

So, there's *limited* access; it's not like Verizon's BlackBerry Storm, which supported both CDMA and GSM.

13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D, 21.5" Alu iMac 3.06GHz C2D, 24" Alu iMac 2.8GHz C2D, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 (work)
AppleTV: 320GB, 2; TC 500GB; iPad 32GB; iPhone: 3G 8GB, 4 32GB; iPod: 30GB 5G, 80GB Classic, 2GB...

Reply

13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D, 21.5" Alu iMac 3.06GHz C2D, 24" Alu iMac 2.8GHz C2D, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 (work)
AppleTV: 320GB, 2; TC 500GB; iPad 32GB; iPhone: 3G 8GB, 4 32GB; iPod: 30GB 5G, 80GB Classic, 2GB...

Reply
post #69 of 255
More than likely a newer A4, speed bump, more RAM etc. An iPhone 5 is too soon I reckon!

So same design for a while yet
post #70 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

Yes, it does make sense, to any existing Verizon subscriber who likes the iPhone 4 and who has been waiting to get it and who has no reason to think that the next iPhone will have newer features that they will want and that will cause them to wish that they had waited.

At this point I would wait. Shipping will take ages and I think there is a high probability that the iPhone 5 will be universal (CDMA+GSM) given the fact, that Apple always tries to unify their products. Also do you remember the newly designed metal bands (4 gaps instead of 3).

LTE would be nice for the iPhone 5, but i wouldn't count on it, especially after the remark that those first gen LTE Cell receivers are large...
post #71 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I consider the 5 device Mobile Hotspot to be the best news... apparently, AppleInsider thinks otherwise.

"iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless will also include new Personal Hotspot capabilities allowing customers to use iPhone 4 to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices."

Did I miss the part where it says this is at no extra charge?
post #72 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

MAYBE they don't plan to change release cycles AND MAYBE Apple already has a CDMA iPhone 5 in development alongside the iPhone 5 for the ATT network.

The truth is we don't know what's going to happen until the next announcement.

Why not make it one device? I'm just confused at giving CDMA users four months to buy a phone that will be outdated in July.
post #73 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Yes. Ridiculous, isn't it?

that's.....absurd!

Watching downloading new software on my computer through mobile hot spot when all of a sudden it just dies and I get a call... will the connection automatically resume at least?
post #74 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I consider the 5 device Mobile Hotspot to be the best news... apparently, AppleInsider thinks otherwise.

Just make sure you don't receive a voice call....your Hotspot will terminate.
post #75 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) You ignore that people buy stuff year round without concern of when it will be updated.

The only time that matters is when the phone is actually announced, as we see from the sales figures. Otherwise people buy the only phone they know about.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #76 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer01 View Post

More than likely a newer A4, speed bump, more RAM etc. An iPhone 5 is too soon I reckon!

So same design for a while yet

Don't forget dual core A4.

iOS is made for dual core (remember GCD, etc...)

edit: they will call it iPhone 5 though even if it looks the same from the outside
post #77 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

well, in that case it's either means that iPhone 5 will be released in the summer for both AT&T and Verizon and will anger the new Verizon iPhone 4 customers or
the iPhone 5 will be released for both AT&T and Verizon next Feb (2012) and will anger(?) or disappoint everyone else who's waiting for the next model.

Doesn't make sense...

They've done it with other international carrier that come on board midstream. V is a unique situation, but not that unique.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #78 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

I suppose this means it has a sim card slot for traveling abroad to use GSM....this is great news!

No, it just means that Verizon has roaming agreements with CDMA networks which are compatible with the Verizon iPhone 4 in 40 countries.
post #79 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Jun 2007 iPhone
Jul 2008 iPhone 3G
Jun 2009 iPhone 3G S
Jun 2010 iPhone 4
Feb 2011 iPhone 4 on Verizon
Jun 2011 iPhone 4 S
Jun 2012 iPhone 5

++

Even though I see everyone claim iPhone 5 in Summer 2011, your timeline appears much more likely. A speed bumped iPhone 4 will keep up with this year's latest Androids while giving Apple the development time needed to do a significant upgrade next year.
post #80 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

Don't forget dual core A4.

iOS is made for dual core (remember GCD, etc...)

Grand Central Dispatch is for OS X, not iOS...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199