or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199 - Page 3

post #81 of 255
I think this only applies to being on the Verizon Network......for example, you could be on your Wi-Fi at home and be downloading data while talking at the same time.....the limitation is Verizon's Network, not the iPhone.....
post #82 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon has once again crippled a device.

Why would I pay more (given good coverage where I am at) for:

No Concurrent Data/Voice (Verizon users....trust me...this is like power windows in a car...once you have it, you wonder how you lived without it)

No Free Wifi

No international coverage (this also results in less demand for selling your used iPhone)

No Rollover Minutes

Visual Voicemail will not update while you are on another call

Unless Verizon has monthly plans at half the price, forget it.


Apparantly the Verizon phone is not for you. It is for other people.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #83 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a bit confusing though, or potentially so.

All the stupids will buy the new Verizon iPhone without thinking of the relatively imminent release of iPhone 5. Perhaps Verizon has already worked out a deal with Apple where they will offer a great deal on an upgrade when that happens.

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't name it something else, like "iPhone 4v" or something. It seems odd to have two products with the same name that aren't actually the same thing and don't even operate if you buy the wrong one for your network.

What they were not clear on is if it is a distinct model or if it will be a unified model. It sounds like it would be distinctly a CDMA model. But, even with that said, it would seem somehow un-Apple to have a carrier specific naming convention.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #84 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Grand Central Dispatch is for OS X, not iOS...

right....
You know what iOS is?
post #85 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

" iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless will also include new Personal Hotspot capabilities allowing customers to use iPhone 4 to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices."

Now, that's something to think about... and drool...

Sucks when you get a call though, cause the data will cut out....
post #86 of 255
Pictarz?
post #87 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a bit confusing though, or potentially so.

All the stupids will buy the new Verizon iPhone without thinking of the relatively imminent release of iPhone 5. Perhaps Verizon has already worked out a deal with Apple where they will offer a great deal on an upgrade when that happens.

How is this different from people buying Iphone4 from any other carriers knowing another version will come out Soon* ?

* Soon: Copyright 0-2011 Life Cycle, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Apple and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Apple does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Apple will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
post #88 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

To everyone who said it wouldn't happen...
To everyone who said it couldn't happen
To everyone who said it shouldn't happen...

I have one word for you...

HA!

About damn time Apple.


AND...

To everyone who said Apple wouldn't build a CDMA iPhone...

To everyone who said Apple wouldn't release a non full featured iPhone (Talk and Data same time)...

To everyone who thought they knew Apple...

As Clint Eastwood once said in one of his many shoot 'em up movies...

"A man's got to know his limitations!"
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #89 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by dli11 View Post

No, it just means that Verizon has roaming agreements with CDMA networks which are compatible with the Verizon iPhone 4 in 40 countries.

True....but check out that list of countries....not a real good list for vacations (IE Western Europe, AP)
post #90 of 255
My interest is now that Verizon has the iPhone, will their network have the same issues as AT&T? Before anyone answer with some positive NO, lets see what happens for rest of this year.
I for one believe Verizon should not throw stones(comment on AT&T coverage), since they maybe living in a glass house themselves.
post #91 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

"iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless will also include new Personal Hotspot capabilities allowing customers to use iPhone 4 to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices."

Did I miss the part where it says this is at no extra charge?

Pricing plans are still not available. So, no information about:
  • Visual Voicemail fees, if any
  • Tethering fees, if any
  • Hotspot fees, if any
  • Data plans
  • Voice plans
  • Texting plans
While I doubt there'll be significant changes in the Voice/Texting plans, there may be different data plans - i.e. an iPhone data plan that includes Visual Voicemail, Tethering and Hotspot.

13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D, 21.5" Alu iMac 3.06GHz C2D, 24" Alu iMac 2.8GHz C2D, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 (work)
AppleTV: 320GB, 2; TC 500GB; iPad 32GB; iPhone: 3G 8GB, 4 32GB; iPod: 30GB 5G, 80GB Classic, 2GB...

Reply

13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D, 21.5" Alu iMac 3.06GHz C2D, 24" Alu iMac 2.8GHz C2D, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 (work)
AppleTV: 320GB, 2; TC 500GB; iPad 32GB; iPhone: 3G 8GB, 4 32GB; iPod: 30GB 5G, 80GB Classic, 2GB...

Reply
post #92 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

You should not even mention Roughly Drafted Magazine, the way you were thoroughly humiliated yesterday, your total loss of cool, anger out of control, and finally being just ignored by every member there, is still on-line for the whole www to read. Still you brag about it! Should the whole world come to read your humiliation?

Wasn't humiliated at all. DED still hasn't admitted he is wrong and pretends he isn't.

Of course for you and everyone else, ignorance is bliss, and CES is a failure because apple announced an app store during it.

If that isn't RDF, what is?

Of course, you iStud are weakest member here. You only come and post when you want to troll back. I dare you to try and get DED out of this one. No matter what, he was wrong, and you cannot deny that one bit.
post #93 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Grand Central Dispatch is for OS X, not iOS...

well since iOS basically is OS X it will be easy to port it, if it isn't already.
post #94 of 255
Don't see any signs of Verizon's CRAPWARE pre-installed like all their phones do. I guess the iPhone continues to be the only phone unbastardized by the carriers..
post #95 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But why? Are they really going to pit them against each other like this with a staggered release?

What staggered release? Apple released a minimally altered version of the iPhone 4 with a CDMA radio. There are two reasons I suspect for the timing.

1) the iPhone 4 will be around for at least a year or two. When the 5 comes out, this will become the low end phone.
2) Contracts are routinely written for the new year.
post #96 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Grand Central Dispatch is for OS X, not iOS...

It is in iOS as well.
post #97 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I consider the 5 device Mobile Hotspot to be the best news... apparently, AppleInsider thinks otherwise.

What good is that? "Hold on everyone. I got to shut the hot spot off while I make a call."

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #98 of 255
maybe now that Verizon offers HotSpot, AT&T will too.

I have a tethering plan, but it requires a cable or BT to a single device......
post #99 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

AND...

To everyone who said Apple wouldn't build a CDMA iPhone...

To everyone who said Apple wouldn't release a non full featured iPhone (Talk and Data same time)...

To everyone who thought they knew Apple...

As Clint Eastwood once said in one of his many shoot 'em up movies...

"A man's got to know his limitations!"
/
/
/

Film is 'Magnum Force ' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070355/quotes
post #100 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

What they were not clear on is if it is a distinct model or if it will be a unified model. It sounds like it would be distinctly a CDMA model. But, even with that said, it would seem somehow un-Apple to have a carrier specific naming convention.

Which is probably why Apple will just go back to calling it iPhone or if it's so damned important to have a qualifier at this stage in the game, just denote it by year... iPhone '11. That way, no matter when it happens to be released on ATT, Verizon, whenever on Sprint or TMo, if there were four different release dates within the year, naming it by year will cover all models released that year.

Problem Solved!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #101 of 255
You're right; lots of info missing. Were they avoiding those issues because they're not good news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshort View Post

Pricing plans are still not available. So, no information about:
  • Visual Voicemail fees, if any
  • Tethering fees, if any
  • Hotspot fees, if any
  • Data plans
  • Voice plans
  • Texting plans
While I doubt there'll be significant changes in the Voice/Texting plans, there may be different data plans - i.e. an iPhone data plan that includes Visual Voicemail, Tethering and Hotspot.
post #102 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

My interest is now that Verizon has the iPhone, will their network have the same issues as AT&T? Before anyone answer with some positive NO, lets se what happensf or rest of this year.
I for one believe Verison should not throw stones(comment on AT&T coverage), since they maybe living in a glass house themselves.

Verizon has been a lot more vigilant with network upgrades than AT&T. Interesting to see how it plays out though.
post #103 of 255
I can't wait for my 3GS contract to end in July, just in time to get the Verizon version of the iPhone 5.

Nice that they'll have a tethering function, even with the CDMA limitations. It's a damned sight better than what AT&T offered out of the gate.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #104 of 255
Might Apple create a dual mode CDMA/GSM for the iPhone 5 based on the Qualcomm chipset? And release in June/July this year? What's to prevent them from doing this and having a single phone for world use?

Rumors have been talking about this since late last year and as we have seen, if rumors persist enough, they can come true.

Another interesting tidbit, APPLE stock has dropped slightly after the announcement today. (-0.80)
post #105 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

well since iOS basically is OS X it will be easy to port it, if it isn't already.

GCD is in iOS 4
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #106 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Which is probably why Apple will just go back to calling it iPhone or if it's so damned important to have a qualifier at this stage in the game, just denote it by year... iPhone '11. That way, no matter when it happens to be released on ATT, Verizon, whenever on Sprint or TMo, if there were four different release dates within the year, naming it by year will cover all models released that year.

Or for the iPhone 5, they just use a combo CDMA/GSM radio like the droid 2 global does.
post #107 of 255
A rumor has died today, blogs will never be the same... it really was a nice rumor, a rumor that we`ll have to let go
post #108 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by briavael View Post

++

Even though I see everyone claim iPhone 5 in Summer 2011, your timeline appears much more likely. A speed bumped iPhone 4 will keep up with this year's latest Androids while giving Apple the development time needed to do a significant upgrade next year.

While I too agree with the listed timeline, the 'anteneagate' incident might push Apple to release a new form factor earlier. My suspicion is that there aren't significant aesthetic changes to be made. Like the iPod, this means Apple will pull out one of it's favorite tricks to drive sales and upgrades: colors.
post #109 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Verizon has been a lot more vigilant with network upgrades than AT&T. Interesting to see how it plays out though.

Especially since I read (not sure if it is true) Verizon will offer unlimited data plan!
post #110 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Is the phone pure CDMA? With regards to roaming, if I head up to Canada for the week end or to Europe, will I be without network coverage?

Canada's CDMA coverage is significantly greater than it's 3G coverage.
post #111 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Which is probably why Apple will just go back to calling it iPhone or if it's so damned important to have a qualifier at this stage in the game, just denote it by year... iPhone '11. That way, no matter when it happens to be released on ATT, Verizon, whenever on Sprint or TMo, if there were four different release dates within the year, naming it by year will cover all models released that year.

Problem Solved!

That's exactly what I think will be the case and is the reason for not qualifying the CDMA iPhone with a separate naming convention.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #112 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

Sucks when you get a call though, cause the data will cut out....

And then the question becomes how do you turn off calling and keep the tethering on.
post #113 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

What they were not clear on is if it is a distinct model or if it will be a unified model. It sounds like it would be distinctly a CDMA model. But, even with that said, it would seem somehow un-Apple to have a carrier specific naming convention.

Distinct model. No SIM tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Pictarz?

Why? It's identical to the pictures we already have minus the SIM card tray and plus a break for a CDMA antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

GCD is in iOS 4

? Where?
post #114 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The only time that matters is when the phone is actually announced, as we see from the sales figures. Otherwise people buy the only phone they know about.

The only people who know anything about updates (or care) are the people who read the blogs... and, from what I've seen and heard, that's a very small number of people.

As an example... friends of mine going to buy an iPad... "Me: Hey, why don't you wait a couple of months to see if Apple announces an iPad 2. Them: There's an iPad2? Me: Most likely... and fairly soon. Them: Oh... interesting, Thanks." ... Next Day.... "Me: Hello. ... oh, you want help activating your new iPad?! Sure, whatever."
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #115 of 255
What's funny they'll probably get a lot of people to get the Iphone 4 however they will be suckered because Apple will announce the Iphone 4G LTE at WWDC 2011. Also, the current Iphone 4 won't be compatible to LTE technology which means you'll have to fork even MORE money over.

Don't fanboys watch Apple's pattern? stupid..
post #116 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What good is that? "Hold on everyone. I got to shut the hot spot off while I make a call."

Interesting right?! AT&T, with simultaneous voice and data capabilities, doesn't offer this feature. But Verizon does!!

I just hope this feature makes it to GSM iPhones when Apple release iOS 4.2.5!
post #117 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Canada's CDMA coverage is significantly greater than it's 3G coverage.

So, theoretically, a Bell Canada customer could buy either the GSM 3G or the CDMA iPhones (if they are distinct) and use it on the Bell network. I guess that makes up for them dropping calls as soon as the lose 3G signal, since their iPhone 4 (current) can't fall back to CDMA.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #118 of 255
Ah, finally. Some choice in the United States. And with this, maybe people can start arguing a little more about which crappy mobile provider is better and a little less about whether the hardware/OS they chose to purchase (or were restricted in selecting) is better than another hardware/OS which they probably haven't used much at all, or haven't used in some time, in all probability so they can feel better about their purchase.

And we'll get to see how potentially interesting data plays out relative to AT&T over the next few years.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #119 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

You only come and post when you want to troll back. I dare you to try and get DED out of this one. No matter what, he was wrong, and you cannot deny that one bit.

Finally, some sense out of you. I am trolling back! Which means you are indeed a Troll.

As a matter of fact I am your very own personal Troll! Watch out for my shadow!

If you are not ashamed of your behaviour, then you have real problems! You were even likened to the Arizona killer in your behavioural patterns! Aren't you ashamed of being compared to him?
post #120 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post

A rumor has died today, blogs will never be the same... it really was a nice rumor, a rumor that we`ll have to let go

Bring on the iPhone nano!


Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

What's funny they'll probably get a lot of people to get the Iphone 4 however they will be suckered because Apple will announce the Iphone 4G LTE at WWDC 2011. Also, the current Iphone 4 won't be compatible to LTE technology which means you'll have to fork even MORE money over.

Don't fanboys watch Apple's pattern? stupid..

This isn't happening, so I'm confused why you'd even say it. No one has an LTE network. No one will even have half of an LTE network for a year or more. No CDMA/GSM/LTE chips exist that would give even passable battery life.

Also, tech changes. That's how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Interesting right?! AT&T, with simultaneous voice and data capabilities, doesn't offer this feature. But Verizon does!!

I just hope this feature makes it to GSM iPhones when Apple release iOS 4.2.5!

It has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the carrier. Whine to carriers to support it, not Apple.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199