or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Non-exclusive Apple-Verizon deal could allow iPhone on Sprint, T-Mobile

Non-exclusive Apple-Verizon deal could allow iPhone on Sprint, T-Mobile - Page 2

post #41 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post

You know after owning an iPhone 3GS for 1 year I dumped it and went to a Droid DX for play and a Droid 2 Global for work with Good for email. The iPhone is a cool phone but a cool brick due to a lousy network is no fun. Could not be happier with both of my Droids. The irony here is Verizon now has both and will the influx of new users and defectors from ATT ruin a good thing. We shall see. BTW both Droids are on 1 year contracts. Leverage is a beautiful thing.

Aren't there any Droid blogs you can go to?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I would like the iPhone to be sold on Metro PCS just so there will be commercials with Ranjit and Chad.

Agreed
post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm suspecting not too many will jump ship on seeing this. We will hopefully see a massive move to iPhone with Verizon though.

Agreed. Now the question is, do Verizon customers jump ship to Verizon for the iPhone? Or wait till june to see what the next iPhone brings to the table?
post #44 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Agreed. Now the question is, do Verizon customers jump ship to Verizon for the iPhone? Or wait till june to see what the next iPhone brings to the table?

I have a feeling many are not all that techy and will go for this one. Heck I am always hearing from proud new iPhone users they have "got the new iPhone 4G", ignorance is bliss
post #45 of 93
funny thing is that i wasn't eligible for a full subsidized upgrade to iphone 4 until next month. checked it just now and magically my iphone 4 price is now $299. not that i'll buy it this point in the product cycle
post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

funny thing is that i wasn't eligible for a full subsidized upgrade to iphone 4 until next month. checked it just now and magically my iphone 4 price is now $299. not that i'll buy it this point in the product cycle

I read something about AT&T becoming more flexible all of a sudden. Pretty smart move on their part you must admit.
post #47 of 93
Quote:

BTW both Droids are on 1 year contracts. Leverage is a beautiful thing.

Any news on Verizon waiving the contract for Droid users wanting to upgrade to VZ iPhone?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #48 of 93
Quote:

You know after owning an iPhone 3GS for 1 year I dumped it and went to a Droid DX for play and a Droid 2 Global for work with Good for email. The iPhone is a cool phone but a cool brick due to a lousy network is no fun. Could not be happier with both of my Droids. The irony here is Verizon now has both and will the influx of new users and defectors from ATT ruin a good thing. We shall see. BTW both Droids are on 1 year contracts. Leverage is a beautiful thing.

Message boards are best used for discussions of the topic at hand, not for preening and inflating your sense of self-worth.
post #49 of 93
Why does the Verizon iPhone only have 27.1GB capacity (AT&T iPhone has 29.1GB)?

(see pics on article)

2GB can store quite a few songs/movies/apps. And if you get a 16GB phone, 2GB less is a big difference.
post #50 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont think Sprint could offer that. I think theyd know the demand for the device and network use and charge more. I would.

Who in his/her right mind want to join Sprint?

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

Hey, at least they have a 4G LTE network! They have theirs up before AT&T and Verizon!

but If you want to make/receives calls at peak times you can't because their network is always jammed

post #52 of 93
I would love it if T-Mobile got it. They have the fastest network.
post #53 of 93
And why other than 1700 frequency is mandatory? European providers support 2100. That's enough. Also consider tri and quadband devices for compatibility. Any problem? I do not see it with GSM worldwide phones so why it would be a problem with 3G frequencies?

Media makes big fuss out of nothong.... just technological snag easy to resolve.

Do you seriously belive that T-Mobile would be non-compatible network while traveling to Germany when it comes from... or all those operators T-Mobile owns around the world? REally ATT and Verizon are little when you look at world mobile communication map and compare to T-Mobile and its partners with contracts existing for years.

I would think that there is some problem on T-Mobile not accepting Apple rather than Apple not wanting to go T-Mobile.... and I really do not appreciate this as Samsung developed phones and tablet.... welll once I waited for them and hoped.... but they simply suck as far as quality and period of proper support. I would say T-Mobile dump Samsun and implement Apple and then wewill see how much world will come to new terms.
post #54 of 93
Quote:

I'm happy with my TMo service...It's the cheapest and whenever I travel to Europe, I have no problems connecting to their network! You can't say that about AT&T or Verizon.

No problems here connecting to European networks with At&T
post #55 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

And why other than 1700 frequency is mandatory? European providers support 2100. That's enough. Also consider tri and quadband devices for compatibility. Any problem? I do not see it with GSM worldwide phones so why it would be a problem with 3G frequencies?

Media makes big fuss out of nothong.... just technological snag easy to resolve.

Do you seriously belive that T-Mobile would be non-compatible network while traveling to Germany when it comes from... or all those operators T-Mobile owns around the world? REally ATT and Verizon are little when you look at world mobile communication map and compare to T-Mobile and its partners with contracts existing for years.

I would think that there is some problem on T-Mobile not accepting Apple rather than Apple not wanting to go T-Mobile.... and I really do not appreciate this as Samsung developed phones and tablet.... welll once I waited for them and hoped.... but they simply suck as far as quality and period of proper support. I would say T-Mobile dump Samsun and implement Apple and then wewill see how much world will come to new terms.

I think youve missed the point, though Im not 100% sure what you are saying.

T-Mobile USA requires the addition of the 1700MHz band for 3G to operate. This has no barring outside T-Mobile USA. This means T-Mobile in Germany will work fine as the the other UMTS bands in the iPhone are more than sufficient for their needs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just what we need, FOUR iPhone models...

A Sprint iPhone would not be different from a Verizon one if it were CDMA only. Chances of seeing a WiMax iPhone? Never. Now that really IS a dead technology since the only other wireless provider besides Clear using the technology for phones is Yota in Russia, and as of May 2010, they announced they are moving to LTE.

So if I had to guess, Sprint is going to be moving to LTE in the next 2-3 years if they want a modern iPhone.
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

A Sprint iPhone would not be different from a Verizon one if it were CDMA only. Chances of seeing a WiMax iPhone? Never. Now that really IS a dead technology since the only other wireless provider besides Clear using the technology for phones is Yota in Russia, and as of May 2010, they announced they are moving to LTE.

So if I had to guess, Sprint is going to be moving to LTE in the next 2-3 years if they want a modern iPhone.

What bands does Sprint use? The CDMA iPhone supports Rev. A 800 and 900 Mhz.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #58 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

You aren't going to see an iPhone plan for that price EVER.

In Switzerland, iPhone plans (including a phone subsidy) start at $25, including taxes.
In Germany, smartphone plans for unsubsidised phones start at $5/month (that only includes 100 MB/month and no minutes) but it shows that there are offers for those on a budget.
post #59 of 93
If the iPhone works with Sprint, I think eventually it will be a pretty big thing pricewise.
It probably would'nt be a big thing to add a Wimax chip to the iPhone.

Of all the Carriers. Sprint (Hesse) has shown more of a need to bring down the price package.
Especially now that everyone else is on the LTE path. Sprint has a lot of money at stake here on Wimax. It will be to hard and costly to let that go down, without bringing down the cost as much as possible.

Wimax will need more coverage of course, (more investment) but it will be a hard decision for them to make.

But if they go this route, they may be desperate to give in to a cheap all inclusive price plan that will be hard to match by the other guys.
post #60 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

I'm pretty sure that T-Mobile USA would love to have the iPhone. Why wouldn't they? Their sister companies around the world have done well with it.
post #61 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

If the iPhone works with Sprint, I think eventually it will be a pretty big thing pricewise.
It probably would'nt be a big thing to add a Wimax chip to the iPhone.

Of all the Carriers. Sprint (Hesse) has shown more of a need to bring down the price package.
Especially now that everyone else is on the LTE path. Sprint has a lot of money at stake here on Wimax. It will be to hard and costly to let that go down, without bringing down the cost as much as possible.

Wimax will need more coverage of course, (more investment) but it will be a hard decision for them to make.

But if they go this route, they may be desperate to give in to a cheap all inclusive price plan that will be hard to match by the other guys.

I agree with others - Sprint will move to LTE. In another thread, someone mentioned that they were already doing trials for a WiMax-to-LTE conversion.
post #62 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

if apple doesn't have a tmoble cdma phone
then cdma is defacto exclusive to VZ till they do

T-Mobile doesn't use CDMA, so according to you, it's exclusive to Verizon until the end of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Why does the Verizon iPhone only have 27.1GB capacity (AT&T iPhone has 29.1GB)?

(see pics on article)

2GB can store quite a few songs/movies/apps. And if you get a 16GB phone, 2GB less is a big difference.

It's preloaded with example stuff for the purpose of demoing, just like every Apple Store iPhone.

post #63 of 93
Boooo!
post #64 of 93
Hopefully that won't really happen. Part of the appeal of the iPhone was that it was exclusive, if every Jo shmo,ghetto dread head and hill Billy is able to get an iphone then you might as well just give them away. You shouldn't be able to get one if you cant even pass a credit check.
post #65 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

Boooo!

Edit posts; don't double-post.

Quote:

Hopefully that won't really happen. Part of the appeal of the iPhone was that it was exclusive, if every Jo shmo,ghetto dread head and hill Billy is able to get an iphone then you might as well just give them away. You shouldn't be able to get one if you cant even pass a credit check.

Get over yourself, elitist.

post #66 of 93
Quote:

Even Gucci, Tiffany and Cartier sells to anyone with the money. Stop trying to make Apple into an elite brand beyond their current premium status.
post #67 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just what we need, FOUR iPhone models...

Why exactly would there be four different models? Verizon, Sprint, PCS, U.S. cellular, etc all use the same equipment for 3G..
post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I'm pretty sure that T-Mobile USA would love to have the iPhone. Why wouldn't they? Their sister companies around the world have done well with it.

Unless Apple does like a mid-cycle update with HSPA+ support, T-Mobile could be the last to have it.
post #69 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Unless Apple does like a mid-cycle update with HSPA+ support, T-Mobile could be the last to have it.

I am thinking that HSPA+ support comes in iPhone 5.
post #70 of 93
T-Mo iPhone would be God-like. I enjoy t-mos coverage and prices, at least here in Chicago they are on par with ATT (which is much better here then NY or SF)
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #71 of 93
Quote:

I agree with others - Sprint will move to LTE. In another thread, someone mentioned that they were already doing trials for a WiMax-to-LTE conversion.

Yes. Sprint/Clearwire is not stupid. They could start laying out their 4g network infrastructure on WiMax far ahead of LTE and then transition over once LTE became standardized. It's actually a pretty smart move on their parts, especially Sprint; it probably saved them. Generating that buzz and putting out a 4G phone that on some levels could go toe to toe with the iPhone and not get KO'd in the 1st round was a big deal for them. Their cheap plans kept people hanging around, but what started stabilizing their image was 4G and the HTC Evo 4G.

And for anyone wanting proof of these LTE tests, here's some explanations on the testing including a video demonstrating some of the outstanding download and upload speed results.

http://www.clear.com/blog/size-matters/

Again, WiMax was nothing more than a head start on a 4g infrastructure. It will either completely transition to LTE or coexist with LTE. I've read that WiMax may stay around as apparently it's better tech for supporting people with single-location cellular hot spots, as in a cellular hot spot in a home instead of a cable line into a modem. Not sure if that's still entirely true or if it'll really stick, but the bottom line is Clear and Sprint know full well that they'll be an LTE company sooner rather than later. WiMax will hang around at least for a couple years to support early-adopters, but LTE will be launched likely by next year if I had to guess.

And to be clear, the transition absolutely will not be at all equivalent to building an entirely new network. LTE will run on the current infrastructure. Some slight modifications will take place, but from what I've read, it's in many ways more of a software change than hardware. They knew this was coming and they planned ahead. Again, I say smart move on their part.
post #72 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTB View Post

Yes!
I'm waiting patiently at T-Mobile.

Oh YES!!! I'm salivating right now for T-Mobile to strike a deal next for the iphone 5
post #73 of 93
More on Sprint modernizing their network and setting themselves up to deploy LTE. Note that this is in addition to their partnership with Clearwire which also will transition to LTE at some point.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ect/2010-12-06

I can't say it enough: Sprint will be an LTE company when it really matters, no doubt about it.
post #74 of 93
Keeping my fingers crossed for U.S. Cellular.
post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemeiser View Post

Keeping my fingers crossed for U.S. Cellular.

As long as you're not holding your breath!
post #76 of 93
Quote:

I think it will have quad-band support. Maybe have the hybrid radio (CDMA / UMTS / HSPA) for an all in one solution? Wasn't Qualcomm developing a chip of Apple for this purpose?

A chipset like that may see the light of day in iPad2 first...
post #77 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I think it will have quad-band support. Maybe have the hybrid radio (CDMA / UMTS / HSPA) for an all in one solution? Wasn't Qualcomm developing a chip of Apple for this purpose?

A chipset like that may see the light of day in iPad2 first...

I think if the iPad 2 has a Gobi chip then we can consider it for the iPhone 5, though I will likely think its unlikely. If the iPad doesnt have an Gobi option then I say its not even on the table.

edit: Interesting article on how Apple gets out of paying Qualcomm 5% for each iPhone. Note that the licensing for CDMA is worse, which is why Qualcomms patents werent used in the 3GPP creation whenever possible.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...g_license_fees

http://www.qualcomm.com/products_services/licensing/
post #78 of 93
Is a 3Mbps LTE network that covers a small portion of the country really anything to brag about?

Quote:

Hey, at least they have a 4G LTE network! They have theirs up before AT&T and Verizon!
post #79 of 93
The iPhone 4 does support the slower variant of HSPA+. There haven't been available the radios needed to support the fastest version of HSPA+. Its also not widely deployed nationwide

Quote:

post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think if the iPad 2 has a Gobi chip then we can consider it for the iPhone 5, though I will likely think its unlikely. If the iPad doesnt have an Gobi option then I say its not even on the table.

edit: Interesting article on how Apple gets out of paying Qualcomm 5% for each iPhone. Note that the licensing for CDMA is worse, which is why Qualcomms patents werent used in the 3GPP creation whenever possible.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...g_license_fees

http://www.qualcomm.com/products_services/licensing/

Well the Verizon CFO was alluding iPad would be coming to Verizon sans MiFi. I cant see Apple making 2 versions of iPad, but then again they made 2 versions of the iPhone...

Maybe the reason Apple doesn't pay is due to Qualcomm developing the hybrid chip and selling it to Apple ???

Article is from 2009 on the hybrid chip...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ne.candidates/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Non-exclusive Apple-Verizon deal could allow iPhone on Sprint, T-Mobile