or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon website downtime reminiscent of AT&T iPhone preorder troubles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon website downtime reminiscent of AT&T iPhone preorder troubles - Page 2

post #41 of 70
I'd like to address the "dead horse" issue of the Verizon iPhone not being able to do simultaneous voice & data, and the fear some users are bringing up that phone calls will interrupt data connections.

First, almost any modern smartphone does have the ability to simultaneous voice and data, by getting your data from a WiFi connection, or via 4G (at least on Sprint/WiMax). Some might consider these methods a kludge, but they do accomplish the task.

Having said that, I've used this ability maybe 3 times in over 3 years, and have found that it is not a deal breaker for me. For some, it may be. If that's the case, then the Verizon iPhone isn't for you. In the words of Steve Jobs, "No big deal."

Also, at least for Windows Mobile smartphones (I haven't tried with other smartphones), there is an option, buried in the phone settings, called "DDTM Mode", with the choice of being on or off. It defaults to off. If it's set to on, all incoming calls will go directly to voicemail if the EVDO/3G connection is active, and not disturb the data connection. Also, if you set the phone to only use the 1X data network (CDMA's equivalent of EDGE, aka 2G), it has the same effect.

Also, if you have a Google Voice number, and have Gmail open in a browser tab, and you are signed into Google chat (even if you are Invisible in your status), you can place and receive calls from Gmail. (Incoming calls will show up in Gmail, complete with a ringtone and caller ID.) This might be a good solution for some to still keep phone functionality while the iPhone is providing a PC's Internet connection.
post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

They will sell all they have available regardless of when they start taking orders.

Correct.

Also, China will shut down in early February for the lunar new year. No iPhones rolling off the manufacturing lines for a couple of weeks.

My guess is that there will be a supply outage for a while, shortly after the launch.
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

What this doesn't discuss is that on Verizon, the iPhone cannot use both the phone and data at the same time. So if you and 4 friends are using wifi and a call comes in, everybody gets dropped.

Epic fail, IMO.

Are you simply going to post this same whiny statement on every Verizon iPhone related story? This is not news. This was known years ago when you were probably one of those fools claiming that Verizon would never get an iPhone. Give your one-trick pony a rest already. Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Well, that doesn't give you a warm fuzzy when we are already seeing issues at preorder. I thought VZ had all of this time to make sure there would be no hickups?

Completely different situations. Preparing their cellular network for the continuous onslaught of high usage should be built out for. But why spend a ton of money to address what was a one-day (actually only a couple of hours) of spike in usage? That would just be a waste of money. Rather then spend money to beef up their web-site for a one-time event, I'd rather they put their money in their cell network where it will do some good on a continual basis.
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What people still do not realise is how much massive demand is for the iPhone4 and iPad on their carriers of choice in their countries. iPhone and iPad could have easily sold four times as much globally if they could make and service that number.

The Verizon situation is (a) Verizon's taste of overwhelming demand and first introduction to failures in meeting that demand and (b) a replica of the situation faced by all major carriers around the world. Expect whatever preorder stock to be maxxed out fully, ie new walk-in Verizon customers will only really start to get their iPhone4s in March onwards, even then supply will be tight.

You're sooo right! I would love to get it, but Apple can't keep enough in stock for it's current suppliers, even giving preference to 'our' USA Apple stores. If I get placed on a waiting list, I'll cancel it and wait for iPhone 5.
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) No, AT&T was not onsite with their MicroCell at Verizon’s event so the two iPhone types could be fairly compared.

2) I wasn’t even aware that AT&T’s in-store demo units had wireless capabilities set up. If so, it would be smart of them to do so in areas where the service in the store is poor, but these devices are limited in the number of units they support. Usually 4 or 5 max, so that would mean a lot of these devices to support all the phones in a single store.

3) Again, this was a Verizon event with a handful of iPhone demo units that people would then compare to the regular AT&T network. It’s probably not a real world comparison.


I can tell you with 100% certainty that AT&T in store iphone demos DO NOT use a MicroCell, Femtocell, etc.. They are activated and also connect to a wireless AP in the store.
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Are you simply going to post this same whiny statement on every Verizon iPhone related story? This is not news. This was known years ago when you were probably one of those fools claiming that Verizon would never get an iPhone. Give your one-trick pony a rest already. Please!



Completely different situations. Preparing their cellular network for the continuous onslaught of high usage should be built out for. But why spend a ton of money to address what was a one-day (actually only a couple of hours) of spike in usage? That would just be a waste of money. Rather then spend money to beef up their web-site for a one-time event, I'd rather they put their money in their cell network where it will do some good on a continual basis.

So then there is absolutely no basis for complaining about any activation day issues on AT&Ts website then. Sounds like we are just already making excuses. It's okay is we don't have voice and data at the same time. It's okay if VZ's website is already showing issues on announcement day. Mind you, I could care less, but these are topics they you guys went on and on and on about when it was AT&T.
post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I cant verify it but the demoed iPhones were probably all connected to a Verizon femotocell which not only assured connectivity with so many Verizon users in one small area and a possibility that the service in that building wasnt great, but also allowed the initial demo to make it seem worlds ahead of AT&T with a close range device that connects directly to broadband for accessing data. Its certainly good planning on their part.
http://www.mobiletechnews.com/info/2...23/112312.html

Great posts! I like reading educated information.

So you mean they planned so they wouldn't get... "Every one please turn off your WiFi. I won't be able to show you the demo, if you don't turn off your WiFi..."

I think Apple, and the entire Tech world learned something from that presentation....
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Wrong.

Hawaii has no snow.

But thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Umm...

http://www.govisithawaii.com/2010/12...now-in-hawaii/

It's called Google, dumbass. You should try it sometime.
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Trust me, one day this comment will bite you in the ass. You will definitely miss the feature on the iPhone. Same way people will one day be pissed they only bought the wifi iPad and can't access something when they need it most. The time will come.

I have the 64Gig WiFi only and have never had a problem. Everywhere I go has WiFi... Then again, I live in New England. We're pretty densely packed around here. Oh, and I use it probably at least 12 hours a day. I also agree with the people that it has some lag. Especially with PDF files, but that's just me.
post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

Also, China will shut down in early February for the lunar new year. No iPhones rolling off the manufacturing lines for a couple of weeks.

My guess is that there will be a supply outage for a while, shortly after the launch.

So what you're saying is that there's no supply shortage now????
post #51 of 70
Wow, Verizons host / web server has problems with a high volume of traffic and that means their completely unrelated wireless network can't handle iPhone traffic? I thought this was Appleinsider not AT&Tinsider, seems to be a lot of smug posting over nothing.


Did AT&T get good service somewhere I'm not aware of? I just spent 2 hours with 3 bars and .05kbs web access at the FD and can't find a reason to give them any credit.

The highlight of my night was a fellow brother loading YouTube videos on his droid x a few feet away. Fail
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

So then there is absolutely no basis for complaining about any activation day issues on AT&Ts website then. Sounds like we are just already making excuses. It's okay is we don't have voice and data at the same time. It's okay if VZ's website is already showing issues on announcement day. Mind you, I could care less, but these are topics they you guys went on and on and on about when it was AT&T.

Fair enough, although I never personally made any remarks about ATT's activation issues...until now... If I recall correctly, those problems lasted days and had a serious impact on users because their old phones were deactivated and they were left without phone service until their iPhone activations were processed. That's HUGE!

And you are comparing that to having to come back to a web page 10 minutes later and clicking refresh to view a page of information that you can't act on for two weeks anyway? Pretty small potatoes if you ask me.

In either case, Verizon's web site outages today or ATT's activation issues, it's pretty stupid to take either event as any sort of indicator of how their phone networks will perform. Any company can be caught off guard by transient events (recall Apple's MobileMe fiasco). Sh*t happens. It's how they perform on a day-to-day basis that matters more.
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

n either case, Verizon's web site outages today or ATT's activation issues, it's pretty stupid to take either event as any sort of indicator of how their phone networks will perform. Any company can be caught off guard by transient events (recall Apple's MobileMe fiasco). Sh*t happens. It's how they perform on a day-to-day basis that matters more.

I take today's outages as reflecting great interest in the Verizon iPhone - nothing more or less. Makes me happy as an Apple shareholder.
post #54 of 70
The Wizard of Verizon knows all, is impot...err Omnipotent! Wait, pay no attention to that tech rep behind the curtain...
post #55 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

What this doesn't discuss is that on Verizon, the iPhone cannot use both the phone and data at the same time. So if you and 4 friends are using wifi and a call comes in, everybody gets dropped.

Epic fail, IMO.

What the hell does WiFi have to do with CDMA or cell service? Do you actually read what you write before posting it? You can WiFi and call somebody all you want.

Please just stop.
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Fair enough, although I never personally made any remarks about ATT's activation issues...until now... If I recall correctly, those problems lasted days and had a serious impact on users because their old phones were deactivated and they were left without phone service until their iPhone activations were processed. That's HUGE!

And you are comparing that to having to come back to a web page 10 minutes later and clicking refresh to view a page of information that you can't act on for two weeks anyway? Pretty small potatoes if you ask me.

In either case, Verizon's web site outages today or ATT's activation issues, it's pretty stupid to take either event as any sort of indicator of how their phone networks will perform. Any company can be caught off guard by transient events (recall Apple's MobileMe fiasco). Sh*t happens. It's how they perform on a day-to-day basis that matters more.

You guys are aware that the issues were primarily an inability to get a response from Apples servers right?

In the first paragraph you spoke of activation issues. I have to point out the obvious that AT&T does not activate iPhones. Apple does. I believe that at the time it was required to activate the device in store. All that meant was iTunes was opened in activation mode and the device activated much like a customer COULD HAVE DONE at home as long as Apples servers were responding. Even today AT&T prefers to have devices activated before the customer leaves so they can make sure they are working. However, worst case the customer can just go home open iTunes, attach the device and activate it. I would prefer customers activate at home because that cuts the BS of blaming AT&T for issues that have nothing to do with AT&T's environment. What's funny is if the customer does go home to activate and cannot via iTunes it is still AT&T fault that the Apple server was inaccessible.

Thanks for taking the 'stupid' out, that did not come across well.

It is just hilarious that if this were AT&T everyone would jump on the bus and would be all over AT&T talking sh*t. But no, this is Verizon they are different. Pfft.

In the end we will see as time will tell. But.. if Verizon has issues I will be voicing my opinion.
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Doesn't look as though Verizon is as prepared as they talk.

Is Verizons network ready for all the additional traffic????????????DOUBTFULL

I think it's wonderful how stuck we are in our little worlds. I'm not sure what we perceive to be epic usage on iPhone side really is true. Verizon has been sustaining Android users for a while now. I'm sure they're used to it.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...double.iphone/
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran00 View Post

I think it's wonderful how stuck we are in our little worlds. I'm not sure what we perceive to be epic usage on iPhone side really is true. Verizon has been sustaining Android users for a while now. I'm sure they're used to it.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...double.iphone/

Just like the world that Verizon is better and Apple can do no wrong

Don't see the point, AT&T has been supporting Android, iPhone and other data users.
Verizon simple supporting Android data users doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

So you think people are willing to put up with AT&T but not Verizon?

Thought they didn't have to put up with anything on "V"! They are the ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

And you think the many Androids out there haven't already taxed Verizon's network,

Yeah! That's what he was thinking! But we will see how things pan out when Big V has ten times as many iPhone users to Android users on their network. On a side note, I wonder now that exclusivity is gone from ATT and they are courting more phones Android, MS... Will those brands ever have 10:1 ratio over the iPhone. That wasn't a question!

"There are far more iPhone users on AT&T than there are Android users on Verizon, perhaps 10 times as many."

On another side note to Verizon and their "There's a map for that!" commercials... Can only say regarding server troubles, "There's a Mac for that!"

Oh wait, no there's not...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

So then there is absolutely no basis for complaining about any activation day issues on AT&Ts website then. Sounds like we are just already making excuses. It's okay is we don't have voice and data at the same time. It's okay if VZ's website is already showing issues on announcement day. Mind you, I could care less, but these are topics they you guys went on and on and on about when it was AT&T.

You sound just like another nagging spouse or a spoiled brat.

In what world do you, or anyone else, live in that entitlement is a God-given right?
post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I wonder why they don't take preorders sooner. If they started taking preorders this week, they would have a better indication of how many handsets they need at launch making it much less likely that there will be shortages.

There will be shortages no matter what.
post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Link to the independently certified speed tests please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMYd...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJref...eature=related at&t even with slight head start still gets waxed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBNwXhdJ7-E


Please don't try to come back and say that you need something more official. In all three test it's clear that Verizon's data is faster.
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

You guys are aware that the issues were primarily an inability to get a response from Apples servers right?

In the first paragraph you spoke of activation issues. I have to point out the obvious that AT&T does not activate iPhones. Apple does. I believe that at the time it was required to activate the device in store. All that meant was iTunes was opened in activation mode and the device activated much like a customer COULD HAVE DONE at home as long as Apples servers were responding. Even today AT&T prefers to have devices activated before the customer leaves so they can make sure they are working. However, worst case the customer can just go home open iTunes, attach the device and activate it. I would prefer customers activate at home because that cuts the BS of blaming AT&T for issues that have nothing to do with AT&T's environment. What's funny is if the customer does go home to activate and cannot via iTunes it is still AT&T fault that the Apple server was inaccessible.

Thanks for taking the 'stupid' out, that did not come across well.

It is just hilarious that if this were AT&T everyone would jump on the bus and would be all over AT&T talking sh*t. But no, this is Verizon they are different. Pfft.

In the end we will see as time will tell. But.. if Verizon has issues I will be voicing my opinion.

I'm sorry but I have to tell you that you couldn't be any more wrong. At&t does activate phones. The reason that I know is because I was working at the apple store at the time of the iPhone 4 launch. There was two separate events surrounding the iphone 4. the first event was when the iPhone became available for pre-order, Apple's servers went down because of all the traffic. That didn't have anything to do with at&t. If I remember correctly, pre-order started on the 15th of june. The second event was nine days later on the actual launch day of the iPhone. The activation problems were not with Apple or iTunes, they were with our EazyPay devices not being able to access AT&T's servers because they were bogged down. That was causing different types of activation problems with people's accounts. iTunes doesn't have anything to with the actual activation process because by the time you are connecting the phones to it, they have been already activated through the EazyPay. All iTunes does is turn the phone on so that you can use it, just like when you buy an iPod or and iPad it must be connected to iTunes once before you can use it. The Second instance wasn't Apple's Fault, or IMO at&t's fault either. All it was was a TON of traffic at one time.

I'll go ahead and say it now just to put it out there, I expect that the same thing may happen on the Verizon iPhone launch day, but so what! Launch day is only one day, What really matters is that overall EVERYDAY service on Verizon I believe will be better. That is the real issue, screw what everyone else is trying to make an issue.
post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Wrong.

Hawaii has no snow.

But thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Mauna Kea (also known as White Mountain) from its undersea base of -19,000 feet to the wind-swept peaks of 13,796 feet, is the world's highest mountain

It offers some of the world's highest skiing. The massive extinct volcano actually has some of finest snow in the world, opening almost 100 square miles of ski able terrain. At this latitude the conditions are spring like; the snow is sugar corn. Locals call it 'Pineapple Powder'.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran00 View Post

I think it's wonderful how stuck we are in our little worlds. I'm not sure what we perceive to be epic usage on iPhone side really is true. Verizon has been sustaining Android users for a while now. I'm sure they're used to it.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...double.iphone/

We have no indication what market and what carrier(s) Arieso used for their studies as they are used to measure user activity on request by carriers to identify and deal with user "hot-spots" for microcell deployment. Was this Verizon they were measuring? ATT? US markets or European markets? Do we know from the the article or the supporting white paper? I don't see where they derived their data from any of those sources, so how do we know that what they report is factually linked to any US market carrier? If you know additional information it would be helpful.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I wonder why they don't take preorders sooner. If they started taking preorders this week, they would have a better indication of how many handsets they need at launch making it much less likely that there will be shortages.

I don't understan why Verizon and Apple do not implement an "Order via Email" process.

Publish the format of an email message that customers can send with all the details (except financial information) and reserve their iPhone. Once reserved they receive an email with a confirmation number that they can enter on a website and pay for the phone.

But I guess in the day of HTML there is probably no one left who can actually write a program to process a batch file. Sigh!

JDS
post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMYd...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJref...eature=related at&t even with slight head start still gets waxed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBNwXhdJ7-E


Please don't try to come back and say that you need something more official. In all three test it's clear that Verizon's data is faster.

At that location - on that tower with that user load at that time of day. Sheesh Mike.

How about using data from one of the actual sources of actual data speed analysis, measuring speeds across the networks at different times of the day, with different load populations and different geolocations to develop a decidedly more accurate data set for measuring mean data speeds for each carrier? That would be meaningful. More so than a couple of reporters doing ad hoc speed tests loading web pages.

So no, don't "need" something more official, but don't expect anyone with any desire for real data to respect anything about those videos representing a real speed analysis either.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #68 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

At that location - on that tower with that user load at that time of day. Sheesh Mike.

How about using data from one of the actual sources of actual data speed analysis, measuring speeds across the networks at different times of the day, with different load populations and different geolocations to develop a decidedly more accurate data set for measuring mean data speeds for each carrier? That would be meaningful. More so than a couple of reporters doing ad hoc speed tests loading web pages.

So no, don't "need" something more official, but don't expect anyone with any desire for real data to respect anything about those videos representing a real speed analysis either.

You sound like an excuse maker to me. When I buy a phone I don't wanna hear "you have to be on this tower, with this user load, on this certain day." As a customer that's not the type of shit that I care to be concerning myself with! I want to pick up my phone and have it work just about everywhere I need it to. I have experience from both perspectives, I've been a Verizon subscriber for the past two years, and I've worked for Apple dealing with iPhones all day. I know well the complaints that people have been having with their iphones so really I don't care what you say. You do not get the same problems on a whole that you get with at&t PERIOD.

Generally when you hear people complain about at&t, the complaints are about spotty service. Generally when you hear people complain about Verizon it's about spotty customer service. Of course that is not the case for every situation, but the majority of the time it is. for your $100's+ that you pay every month for cell service, which one is more important to you, cell service or customer service??? This should be a no brainer.
post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Well, that doesn't give you a warm fuzzy when we are already seeing issues at preorder. I thought VZ had all of this time to make sure there would be no hickups?

Exactly! Everyone is so gong ho about the iPhone coming to Verizon because it is supposed to be more "reliable" than AT&T's. I don't particularly care for either one, but I hope Verizon really is prepared for the influx of iPhone users that will suck up their bandwidth. I intent to stay with AT&T. Hopefully enough people will jump ship so that the ones that stay will have better reception...and faster connection.
post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Mauna Kea (also known as White Mountain) from its undersea base of -19,000 feet to the wind-swept peaks of 13,796 feet, is the world's highest mountain

It offers some of the world's highest skiing. The massive extinct volcano actually has some of finest snow in the world, opening almost 100 square miles of ski able terrain. At this latitude the conditions are spring like; the snow is sugar corn. Locals call it 'Pineapple Powder'.

I did not know that. Cool. Currently Google Maps satellite pics shows the observatories and you can see some snow. I wonder when those satellite shots were taken...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon website downtime reminiscent of AT&T iPhone preorder troubles