or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Holiday hat trick' of 16M iPhone, 6M iPad, 4.2M Mac sales expected from Apple

'Holiday hat trick' of 16M iPhone, 6M iPad, 4.2M Mac sales expected from Apple

post #1 of 28
With Apple's quarterly earnings report for the 2010 holidays less than a week away, one Wall Street analyst believes Apple will sell a record 16 million iPhones, 6 million iPads, and 4.2 million Macs.

Analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets said on Wednesday that he sees Apple's iPhone sales over the holidays increasing 84 percent year over year. At 16 million, that would well exceed the previous record of 14.1 million iPhones sold in the Sept. 2010 quarter, and put the company on its way toward a "holiday hat trick" of personal bests.

And Apple looks poised to have an even better fiscal year in the rest of 2011, with Monday's announcement that a CDMA variant of the iPhone is coming to Verizon on Feb. 10. He sees the iPhone accounting for 50 percent of all smartphone sales on Verizon in calendar year 2011, with a third of current Verizon smartphone owners upgrading to the iPhone.

In calendar year 2011, Abramsky expects Apple to sell a total of 70 million iPhones, which would account for 19 percent of the global smartphone market. That would help Apple achieve $90.8 billion in revenue in its fiscal year 2011, with $20 earnings per share, he said.

He has also called for Apple to sell 6 million iPads and 4.2 million Macs in the holiday quarter, which concluded in December. Apple notebook sales are projected to be bolstered by the popular new MacBook Air.

Both the projected Mac and iPad sales would be new records for those product categories, as Apple achieved sales of 3.89 million Macs and 4.19 million iPads last quarter. In particular, he referred to the iPad as a "monster holiday hit."

Finally, Abramsky also sees Apple selling a total of 18.7 million iPods in the quarter. RBC Capital Markets has increased its 12-month price target for AAPL stock to $395, up from a previous prediction of $365.
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, Abramsky also sees Apple selling a total of 18.7 million iPods in the quarter. RBC Capital Markets has increased its 12-month price target for AAPL stock to $395, up from a previous prediction of $365.

A projection of 18.7 million iPods is an afterthought.
post #3 of 28
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Wow...kinda puts Apple's growth in the last 3 years into perspective...
post #5 of 28
It's all just a rounding error...

And they're no good for business because they don't have a keyboard...

But please won't you let us use the name App Store too? Pleeease?

AAPL 450 by end '11.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

AAPL 450 by end '11.

I'll be happy with that ending number
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

That might not be the correct spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

AAPL 450 by end '11.

lol go Ballmer!
bb
bb
post #8 of 28
The sales of actual Macs must be going through the roof. I meet people everyday that are relatively new to the Mac and the story is invariably the same. Started with an iPod or iPhone ... tested the water with an iMac. Became hooked and bought several more Macs for the rest of the family.
post #9 of 28
What about the AppleTV?
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

What about the AppleTV?

@$99/ea there's not enough sales volume from hardware yet, but stay tuned for content rights and distribution to get sorted out.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

@$99/ea there's not enough sales volume from hardware yet, but stay tuned for content rights and distribution to get sorted out.

How about the iTunes revenue?
post #12 of 28
Apple does not consider the iTunes Store to be a PNL center.
post #13 of 28
Apple does not consider the App Store to be a PNL center.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The sales of actual Macs must be going through the roof. I meet people everyday that are relatively new to the Mac and the story is invariably the same. Started with an iPod or iPhone ... tested the water with an iMac. Became hooked and bought several more Macs for the rest of the family.

great points, i agree, there is much more traffic at best buy, my friend who used MS exclusively for her business has dumped ALL her pc's and replaced with macs, mba, mbp, and wants to roll out ipads for her staff. her comment "should have done this long ago"
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #15 of 28
As soon as they release the iPad 2, they can count on one more sale...
post #16 of 28
Thats somewhat conservative (iPad is where some analysts guessed it would be last Q).I am going for

18M iPhone
8M iPad
20M iPod (12 M iPod touch)
4.2M macs
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #17 of 28
So, where's our Andy Zaky earnings call?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

great points, i agree, there is much more traffic at best buy, my friend who used MS exclusively for her business has dumped ALL her pc's and replaced with macs, mba, mbp, and wants to roll out ipads for her staff. her comment "should have done this long ago"

In 2002, I dumped my dual-boot Linux/Wintel box for an iBook. In doing so, I eliminated 98% of my system administration load.

Best computing decision in my life.
post #19 of 28
The only thing I question is their ability to build enough iPads to meet the projected numbers.

I have to concur with others that buying a Mac has been one of my best moves ever. With app store for Mac things will be even better. I like wise concur with the idea that iPad2 will generate another sale. Well as long as Apple doesn't drag it's feet with iPad2 technology.

These great numbers are a reward for a lot of hard work put into hardware and software over the years. Mac OS/X is now pretty solid, iOS is getting there and the recent hardware releases are uniformly excellent.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

In 2002, I dumped my dual-boot Linux/Wintel box for an iBook. In doing so, I eliminated 98% of my system administration load.

I was 100% Linux before buying my MBP. While Linux is much better than Windows the constant updates and fixes eventually drove me away for my primary user machine. The Mac is just far more stable.
Quote:

Yep. By far.
post #21 of 28
There is a whole lot of other people that will eventually convert. But when they do, they will do it hard. But they will be happier.

Example: I know a friend (okay a relative) that had always used PCs. After suffering thru all the viruses and slow loads, she finally got an iPad.

Well only a couple months later, she had a tough decision to make. Make a payment on her car, or buy a protective cover for her iPad?

She is now looking for rides to get to work. BUT, she still Loves her iPad.

Decisions, Decisions
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Thats somewhat conservative (iPad is where some analysts guessed it would be last Q).I am going for

18M iPhone
8M iPad
20M iPod (12 M iPod touch)
4.2M macs

I think your numbers are closer; I might even go as high as 10, 12 million iPads. I like the prospect of a better China market.

With higher phones and pads sales in China market, and iPad 2, I think 450 is too low for year end.

I'm going with close to 475 - 500 by year end!
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Same experience for me. I have to admit, before I switched to Macs I found Apple users somewhat irritating, sanctimoniously banging on about how great they were, but I'm every bit as much an evangelist for them now.

It's hard to believe how much time I used to spend keeping my PC running smoothly, with constant updates to be downloaded, and endless registry problems.

With the Mac, I do basically nothing. Every now and then there is a couple of system updates and that's it. I really couldn't be happier with it, and have so far convinced my wife, father, brother and ex-boss to switch. Apple have a virtuous circle going on.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

With the Mac, I do basically nothing. Every now and then there is a couple of system updates and that's it. I really couldn't be happier with it, and have so far convinced my wife, father, brother and ex-boss to switch. Apple have a virtuous circle going on.

Requests for system administration help evaporated several years ago when other members of my family switched to Macs.

If I got a call from someone today, I'd tell them to go to a Genius Bar. But I don't get the calls. We do basically nothing. It has freed up a lot of time for everyone. I have other stuff I prefer to do over tinkering with computers.
post #25 of 28
M. Adamsky seems pretty upbeat on apple in this report. He must be reading all these comments slamming him.
post #26 of 28
Being a financial analyst isn't a popularity contest. The homecoming king doesn't win the prize.

Mike Abramsky is a four-star analyst according to Starmine. They rank analysts based on the accuracy of their predictions compared to those of their peers. The highest raking is five stars. You don't get to be a four-star analyst by being Mr. Popular.
post #27 of 28
To all those Apple haters out there (and there are many, but their numbers diminishing) I thumb my nose in your general direction.
Green with envy I bet.
I switched to Apple in 1999, and haven't looked back.
The hardware/software/customer support/innovation blows my mind, nothing comes close.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

What about the AppleTV?

50 maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Really? I'd put it around 10 million, sales had dropped heavily last year and I've yet to see anyone with one of the new versions (apart from the iPod Touch). I also hardly ever see anyone with an old one either, looks like the iPhone's killing off the iPod.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • 'Holiday hat trick' of 16M iPhone, 6M iPad, 4.2M Mac sales expected from Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Holiday hat trick' of 16M iPhone, 6M iPad, 4.2M Mac sales expected from Apple