or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues iOS 4.3 beta with Personal Hotspot, new multitouch gestures

Apple issues iOS 4.3 beta with Personal Hotspot, new multitouch gestures - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Really, what would be the point of ever buying a iPad 3G if you could create a hotspot on your iPhone. I'm assuming most iPad users would have an iPhone.
post #42 of 78
The multitasking gestures are awesome!!!!!
post #43 of 78
I wonder if the iPad Wifi+3G will be able to create a Personal Hotspot? If so I'm kicking myself for dropping the unlimited plan...
post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

The new Hotspot tethering will work great if released on AT&Ts network. On Verizon, anyone sharing a Hotspot will find themselves disconnected if/when an actual phone call comes in for the iPhone owner. Can you hear me now?

That's a unconfirmed supposition on your part that an un-answered call would result an automatic disconnect.

Your mother should have told you.... "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt".
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I heard a rumour from someone, who has never been on this website, that iOS 3.2 now has ProRes. What would this unconfirmed rumour mean to developers and users if it turns out to be correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n42 View Post

if that were to happen I think that streaming HD quality video might be more efficient, right? via AirPlay or a media application streaming from your desktop..

Quote:

I don’t really know, but from what I can tell an “intermediate codec” would benefit apps, like iMovie, that are used for editing. This could allow Apple to offer higher-bit video that can edited and converted faster and smoother than the competition.

Ahh... the Lateral Arabesque

AFAICT ProRes allows high quality camera codecs to be processed quickly and efficiently (low memory and compute requirements) for a variety of ultimate uses:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...le-prores.html

I can see a use for something like this on the iPhone... or better the iPad 2 with a larger screen.

If prores video could be processed in a timely fashion on a more powerful iDevice like the rumored iPad 2 with dual-core CPU, more RAM, better GPU -- it would be a boon to on-the-spot, quick-turnaround video preparation... say news or sports events highlights.

While the iPad 2 is rumored to have 2 cameras, similar to the iP4 -- I don't know that they would be adequate for this use, because of the lack of optical zoom, etc.

Rather, maybe you could use the Camera Connection Kit to connect a high-quality videoCam -- then capture and manipulate the video with, say, iPad 2 iMovie. Then, instantly upload the quick-turnaround video to the news channel (whatever) for almost instantaneous use -- while using the iPad storage for later high-res processing (News at Eleven).

I used sports as an example -- but this could be used for all sorts of activities: training, capturing speeches; lectures...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

The new Hotspot tethering will work great if released on AT&Ts network. On Verizon, anyone sharing a Hotspot will find themselves disconnected if/when an actual phone call comes in for the iPhone owner. Can you hear me now?

Personal Hotspot is nothing more than renaming Internet Tethering and adding the ability to connect to an AP in the same screen. Still works just fine on ATT.
post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post

I wonder if the iPad Wifi+3G will be able to create a Personal Hotspot? If so I'm kicking myself for dropping the unlimited plan...

Well, I hear you M. I didn't drop my iPhone for that one reason alone. The unlimited plan. And I've struggled through this recession to keep paying the $120/mo bill to ATT. Hopefully, it will prove to be a good move!

Best
post #48 of 78
Looks like we'll see it released with iPad 2..
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Makes me wonder if these gestures could also be incorporated for a new notification system???

I really hope a new notification system comes to iOS 4.0.
post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well, I hear you M. I didn't drop my iPhone for that one reason alone. The unlimited plan. And I've struggled through this recession to keep paying the $120/mo bill to ATT. Hopefully, it will prove to be a good move!

Best

I'm holding onto the unlimited plan to, though I don't need it now either. Just in case. However, I'm not convinced AT&T won't simply eliminate it about when I have need for it. Do you know if they have promised that it will remain grandfathered in for those with contnuous service or is it just a hope?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Engadget has a video of the new gestures in action. They look awesome.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/i...-support-to-a/

Who needs a home button?

Good question. I think we can see the home button disappearing in the future. One less thing to fail.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #52 of 78
Too bad you need a plan for the personal hotspot.
post #53 of 78
It still amazes me that the end user still can't set a custom SMS tone and we still can't quickly reply to a text message without leaving the currently running application. Neither of which are hard to implement, neither of which would be difficult for the end user to understand quickly and easily. Why oh why is Apple leaving this out? Notification popups are such a productivity killer and bring the whole phone to a frustratingly grinding halt, it's amazing they are still stubbornly using this system. Hopefully it will come with iOS 5, but I doubt it. All I want is to be able to type a short reply without having to stop what I'm doing, swap apps, and go back to what I was attempting to do or play. I'd also like to immediately know if my phone has received and email or a text without multiple people around me getting that puzzled look on their face and seeing who jumps first to check their phone. The hilariously bad 'tones' that came with 4.2.1 aren't a solution, they're lame and stupid. Only Apple would think a six second tone is good for texts.
post #54 of 78
One wish I have is tabs in safari (I know there are other browsers on tha app store that have this feature) or the ability to switch open pages using a 4 or 5 finger gesture swipe instead of having to tap the pages icon, wait for the animation to zoom out to all open pages and then to select another to view on the screen. It would makes browsing the web even faster.
post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The way it's written either of you could be right. But since the ATV has little storage of its own, it's hard to see how third party apps could be loaded on unless they were very small. I can see ATV as a medium to make the TV your screen and your iPhone, iTouch or iPad your game controller. But thinking of playing Angry Birds this way, I am having trouble seeing how I would control the birds without some visual feedback on the TV screen of where my finger is in the field of play--without that I'd keep looking down at my iPhone. Maybe Angry Birds will offer an update to add this option--a little circle to show where your fingertip is on the big screen.

'flinging' (or whatever it's called) 4:3 1024x768 iPad apps to display on an HDTV screen via AirPlay/AppleTV would be good, but not great. i suppose horizontal anamorphic compression could be used to expand its aspect to 16:9 (like some DVD's do). whereas a native AppleTV app would almost certainly be 16:9 1280x720, and displaying that on an iPad screen somehow would require downscaling the image to 1024x576. none of these options is top notch, and i just can't see Jobs doing this.

but ... if the iPad 2 display resolution is boosted to at least 1280x900 (165dpi, just a bit better than the Xoom's 162dpi), then it could run a new class of 16:9 1280x720 apps itself. and then fling their display to HDTV via AppleTV. very simple.

that would be really cool, so i think it is what's coming with iPad 2. i expect both iPad 2 and iOS 4.3 with an SDK for these new apps to be announced at some special Apple event in the next several weeks.
post #56 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Thx... I got confused and excited at the same time!

That happens to me all the time

Had to admire Soli's ballet technique there!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... the Lateral Arabesque

AFAICT ProRes allows high quality camera codecs to be processed quickly and efficiently (low memory and compute requirements) for a variety of ultimate uses:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...le-prores.html

I can see a use for something like this on the iPhone... or better the iPad 2 with a larger screen.

If prores video could be processed in a timely fashion on a more powerful iDevice like the rumored iPad 2 with dual-core CPU, more RAM, better GPU -- it would be a boon to on-the-spot, quick-turnaround video preparation... say news or sports events highlights.

While the iPad 2 is rumored to have 2 cameras, similar to the iP4 -- I don't know that they would be adequate for this use, because of the lack of optical zoom, etc.

Rather, maybe you could use the Camera Connection Kit to connect a high-quality videoCam -- then capture and manipulate the video with, say, iPad 2 iMovie. Then, instantly upload the quick-turnaround video to the news channel (whatever) for almost instantaneous use -- while using the iPad storage for later high-res processing (News at Eleven).

I used sports as an example -- but this could be used for all sorts of activities: training, capturing speeches; lectures...

Very exciting indeed!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #58 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That happens to me all the time

Had to admire Soli's ballet technique there!

Most impressive!

post #59 of 78
new iPad 2 isn't going to have a home button *points at new gestures*

well at least that means the border around the ipad is going to become a bit thinner.

My iPad 2 Prediction

New Dual Core A4 chip still 1Ghz
32GB 64GB 128GB storage options
Slightly higher resolution display still at 9.7"
FaceTime Camera w/ 5MP camera (HD recording)
Similar design cues from the new iPod touch 4th Gen
post #60 of 78
Here I sit...

Waiting for my iPad to install the update and restore...

I am watching the Warriors Lakers game -- Lakers fan since 1948 in Mpls.

...can't use the iPad... feel emasculated!

... just watch & enjoy game -- single tasking... sigh!

I want my Yum Yum!

post #61 of 78
Being that the HOT SPOT has to be enabled by ATT to work, I wonder if ATT will be charging for it.????\\
post #62 of 78
The multitouch gestures isn't showing up on my settings in the ipad 4.3 beta. Anyone else having this problem?
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Being that the HOT SPOT has to be enabled by ATT to work, I wonder if ATT will be charging for it.????\\

I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

The multitouch gestures isn't showing up on my settings in the ipad 4.3 beta. Anyone else having this problem?

http://www.macstories.net/ipad/how-t...-4-3-for-ipad/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Hopefully widgets or dynamic icons. Why does the calendar icon show me the date but everything else have to be static. A weather app icon that actually includes weather information might be helpful for instance.

How about a 'back-light" setting? Apparently I'm the only one who noticed that the device shuts off after about 30 seconds or so with 4.2.?....

I liked it very much when it stayed active while it was charging. Now it goes dim after 30 seconds. Why? It's charging and the 'power' since it's plugged in shouldn't be a problem. So at work if I'm playing songs it just goes dark on me.... Really? I like the album artwork and or lyrics.

I'm talking about the iPad by the way.
post #65 of 78
The new multitouch gestures are a godsend, no more double tapping the home button. This will make multitasking even easier on the iPad.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

'flinging' (or whatever it's called) 4:3 1024x768 iPad apps to display on an HDTV screen via AirPlay/AppleTV would be good, but not great. i suppose horizontal anamorphic compression could be used to expand its aspect to 16:9 (like some DVD's do). whereas a native AppleTV app would almost certainly be 16:9 1280x720, and displaying that on an iPad screen somehow would require downscaling the image to 1024x576. none of these options is top notch, and i just can't see Jobs doing this.

but ... if the iPad 2 display resolution is boosted to at least 1280x900 (165dpi, just a bit better than the Xoom's 162dpi), then it could run a new class of 16:9 1280x720 apps itself. and then fling their display to HDTV via AppleTV. very simple.

that would be really cool, so i think it is what's coming with iPad 2. i expect both iPad 2 and iOS 4.3 with an SDK for these new apps to be announced at some special Apple event in the next several weeks.

Look at the leaked cases. Take out a tape measure and do some math. The new iPad is HD.
post #67 of 78
Personal hotspot is a good idea. I would have expected it to be branded Airport-something though. But perhaps that would be too confusing since the phone already has an Airplane mode.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, the new update also reportedly adds the ability to change the functionality of the iPad hardware switch.

Yay! I emailed Steve about this idea. Glad to see he listened.
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Personal Hotspot is nothing more than renaming Internet Tethering and adding the ability to connect to an AP in the same screen. Still works just fine on ATT.

No, it adds the ability to create a WiFi network - not connect to a WiFi network.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #70 of 78
Anyone tell me how I can mail my feature request to Apple?

The two feature I really really want to have is photo management and customize lockscreen. I have over a thousand pictures all jumbled up in my camera roll, and the only way to organize it is through iPhoto. You should just be able to organize it on the iPhone and sync it to iPhoto, or vice versa. The customize lockscreen is obviously useful for business users.
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

The two feature I really really want to have is photo management and customize lockscreen. I have over a thousand pictures all jumbled up in my camera roll, and the only way to organize it is through iPhoto. You should just be able to organize it on the iPhone and sync it to iPhoto, or vice versa. The customize lockscreen is obviously useful for business users.

http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/

post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

You can use: http://www.apple.com/feedback/
post #73 of 78
Quote:

No update for 2nd generation iPhone and iPod Touch. Thats different.

Right..cause 4.2 worked so wonderfully for the 3g. Time marches on. Next year my 3gs will be finally put out to pasture, I'd be willing to bet.
post #74 of 78
Looking forward to the new B&W Zeppelin Airplay.
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

All The others at least got a few days on stage. Before Apple took all attention back. Verizon and now this.

Must be tough to be RIM, Samsung or any other from ... You know!!! That trade show. Almost forgot! CES something...

Oh yea, must be real tough to be Samsung, Apple releasing features you have already been providing for over a year.

File transfer via bluetooth - DLNA media over Wifi (airplay) - Wifi hotspot for five devices - all are features I have had for the last six months.
post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Airplay for 3rd party is how I see game and apps for apple tv working. They wont be hosted by the apple tv, but by your iPhone or iPad. The potential here is huge, especially if they can use a different screen configuration when purporting through apple tv.

If it can update the Game data at realtime in the Apple TV display then Xbox & PS3 will have real contender
post #77 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_t View Post

Right..cause 4.2 worked so wonderfully for the 3g. Time marches on. Next year my 3gs will be finally put out to pasture, I'd be willing to bet.

I didnt hear about any issues people were having with 4.2 on the 3G, just 4.0.

But this is unusual for Apple as its a point update with a lot of new features. Features that could be advertised an demoed at a special event.

It makes me wonder if you are correct about the 3GS not getting an update next year. If 3 years of rich updates is proving too much, especially when no other vendor seems to be even trying to match Apples immediate and much update cycle, they may just drop the 3rd year model update to save time and hassle for themselves and customers.
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

From my understanding, only if the call is ANSWERED. You have the choice to see who's calling and decide if you want to interrupt your data connection. No, it's not ideal. But you aren't automatically booted off your data connection like some people would have you believe.

When I have my phone tethered and I'm working on my laptop I'm not consciously aware of where my internet is coming from. If my phone rang I would answer it and then have that "Doh!" moment when I realized I dropped my internet connection. This would be very annoying for me as the times when I am using mobile interent also happen to be the same times I am most likely to making mobile calls.

This will also affect many of the cool iPhone apps that run in the background like Glimpse and other that send out location information and other updates. Persistant connection to skype and other IM clients will be a problem. You can also forget about using the Find My iPhone feature if the thief is using the phone. (though a CDMA phone would be harder to resell anyway since it is tied to Verizon with no swappable sim card)

I think this will become a big gripe among AT&T coverts to Verizon expecting better network service. Time will tell.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple issues iOS 4.3 beta with Personal Hotspot, new multitouch gestures
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues iOS 4.3 beta with Personal Hotspot, new multitouch gestures