or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Even Republicans are scared of Tea Party Violent Threats

Even Republicans are scared of Tea Party Violent Threats

post #1 of 21
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/f...licans-resign/

Quote:
Fearing violence from tea party activists, Arizona Legislative District 20 Republican Chairman Anthony Miller and several others tendered their resignation this week following mass shootings that left six dead and Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition.

Miller, a 43-year-old former campaign worker for Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), said that verbal attacks and blog posts from members of the tea party had him fearing for the safety of his family, according to a report in The Arizona Republic.

Even not-so-moderate Republicans think you Tea Party nutcases need to tone your shit down.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 21
I can't wait not to bother reading Trumptman's whacky response to this.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #3 of 21
“All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you. The only thing blame does is to keep the focus off you when you are looking for external reasons to explain your unhappiness or frustration. You may succeed in making another feel guilty about something by blaming him, but you won't succeed in changing whatever it is about you that is making you unhappy.”

--Wayne Dyer
post #4 of 21
Looks like there too scared to post in this thread too.

post #5 of 21
So what "Tea Party violence" are they worried about? Are there some examples of this "Tea Party violence" that have happened already? Is there some widespread pattern of violence being perpetrated by people who are known to be Tea Party supporters or "members?" Or is this possibly an irrational, knee-jerk reaction to violence perpetrated by someone else that these folks are projecting onto the Tea Party folks?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #6 of 21
Atheist violence, however, is now a proven threat to civilized society.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Atheist violence, however, is now a proven threat to civilized society.

Violence by people who act on their violent thoughts or intents is a proven threat to society. If they do not act And have no intention to act they are not a threat.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicesFromTheDust View Post

All blame is a waste of time.

No it isn't. This is patently false.

If a serial killer is on the loose the Police should BLAME him and then APPREHEND him.

Then he should be taken to Court and BLAMED some more.

Before taking the consequences of the BLAME.

No waste of time there - very useful. Dyer's statement is moronic. This is just New Age crap.

Quote:
No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you.

More crap...this is unbelievable...who is this Dyer idiot?

If you are - say - someone who does not think and spouts New Age platitudes for example then perhaps you do not realize it. It can happen...Dyer is such a case imo.

Imagine then that - unaware of the lameness of your state - you blame others who do the same thing.

We know from psychology - real psychology, not the ersatz moronicism that is Dyer's stock-in-trade - that one often blames others for what one is oneself....

So it follows that if I am like Dyer and I blame Dyer for being a moron then it is possible that through this process I can change (although Dyer will not) it is therefore VERY USEFUL and it WILL change you.

My God, this Dyer does not even know the basics.....

Quote:
The only thing blame does is to keep the focus off you when you are looking for external reasons to explain your unhappiness or frustration.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

Why is it always about happiness with these idiots???

I'm not happy, I want to be happy, whine, whinge, moan.....

NEWS FLASH: NO-ONE ELSE THINKS IN THESE TERMS.....IT IS ONLY YOU SELF-OBSESSED NEW AGE FLAKES

Quote:
You may succeed in making another feel guilty about something by blaming him, but you won't succeed in changing whatever it is about you that is making you unhappy.

NOTHING IS MAKING ME UNHAPPY......

Except you Dyer...now Bugger off and stop telling me what to do when all you can do is plagiarize the spiritual classics and gibber on inanely about nothing at all.........

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

So what "Tea Party violence" are they worried about? Are there some examples of this "Tea Party violence" that have happened already? Is there some widespread pattern of violence being perpetrated by people who are known to be Tea Party supporters or "members?" Or is this possibly an irrational, knee-jerk reaction to violence perpetrated by someone else that these folks are projecting onto the Tea Party folks?

My guess is that they are calling themselves Tea Partiers.

Here's a list of some of the terror during the last two and a half years-

"Moreover, what's equally undeniable is that it comes amid a gradually mounting litany of violence directed against "liberal" and government targets, effectively suggesting a fresh onset of domestic terrorism from the extremist American Right.

Just in the past two and a half years, here's the record of "isolated incidents" amassed so far:

-- July 2008: A gunman named Jim David Adkisson, agitated at how "liberals" are "destroying America," walks into a Unitarian Church and opens fire, killing two churchgoers and wounding four others.

-- October 2008: Two neo-Nazis are arrested in Tennessee in a plot to murder dozens of African-Americans, culminating in the assassination of President Obama.

-- December 2008: A pair of "Patriot" movement radicals -- the father-son team of Bruce and Joshua Turnidge, who wanted "to attack the political infrastructure" -- threaten a bank in Woodburn, Oregon, with a bomb in the hopes of extorting money that would end their financial difficulties, for which they blamed the government. Instead, the bomb goes off and kills two police officers. The men eventually are convicted and sentenced to death for the crime.

-- December 2008: In Belfast, Maine, police discover the makings of a nuclear "dirty bomb" in the basement of a white supremacist shot dead by his wife. The man, who was independently wealthy, reportedly was agitated about the election of President Obama and was crafting a plan to set off the bomb.

-- January 2009: A white supremacist named Keith Luke embarks on a killing rampage in Brockton, Mass., raping and wounding a black woman and killing her sister, then killing a homeless man before being captured by police as he is en route to a Jewish community center.

-- February 2009: A Marine named Kody Brittingham is arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate President Obama. Brittingham also collected white-supremacist material.

-- April 2009: A white supremacist named Richard Poplawski opens fire on three Pittsburgh police officers who come to his house on a domestic-violence call and kills all three, because he believed President Obama intended to take away the guns of white citizens like himself. Poplawski is currently awaiting trial.

-- April 2009: Another gunman in Okaloosa County, Florida, similarly fearful of Obama's purported gun-grabbing plans, kills two deputies when they come to arrest him in a domestic-violence matter, then is killed himself in a shootout with police.

-- May 2009: A "sovereign citizen" named Scott Roeder walks into a church in Wichita, Kansas, and assassinates abortion provider Dr. George Tiller.

-- June 2009: A Holocaust denier and right-wing tax protester named James Von Brunn opens fire at the Holocaust Museum, killing a security guard.

-- February 2010: An angry tax protester named Joseph Ray Stack flies an airplane into the building housing IRS offices in Austin, Texas. (Media are reluctant to label this one "domestic terrorism" too.)

-- March 2010: Seven militiamen from the Hutaree Militia in Michigan and Ohio are arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate local police officers with the intent of sparking a new civil war.

-- March 2010: An anti-government extremist named John Patrick Bedell walks into the Pentagon and opens fire, wounding two officers before he is himself shot dead.

-- May 2010: A "sovereign citizen" from Georgia is arrested in Tennessee and charged with plotting the violent takeover of a local county courthouse.

-- May 2010: A still-unidentified white man walks into a Jacksonville, Fla., mosque and sets it afire, simultaneously setting off a pipe bomb.

-- May 2010: Two "sovereign citizens" named Jerry and Joe Kane gun down two police officers who pull them over for a traffic violation, and then wound two more officers in a shootout in which both of them are eventually killed.

-- July 2010: An agitated right-winger and convict named Byron Williams loads up on weapons and drives to the Bay Area intent on attacking the offices of the Tides Foundation and the ACLU, but is intercepted by state patrolmen and engages them in a shootout and armed standoff in which two officers and Williams are wounded.

-- September 2010: A Concord, N.C., man is arrested and charged with plotting to blow up a North Carolina abortion clinic. The man, 26-year--old Justin Carl Moose, referred to himself as the "Christian counterpart to (Osama) bin Laden in a taped undercover meeting with a federal informant.

The Giffords shooting brings the tally to 19 total cases of domestic-terrorism inspired by right-wing extremism in the past couple of years. Oh, excuse me: I meant to say "isolated incidents". Because that is how each of these cases was treated -- and how they continue to be reported by the mainstream media, particularly at Fox, which generally does not report on them at all."
~ http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiw...other-isolated

post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

-- July 2008: A gunman named Jim David Adkisson, agitated at how "liberals" are "destroying America," walks into a Unitarian Church and opens fire, killing two churchgoers and wounding four others.

-- October 2008: Two neo-Nazis are arrested in Tennessee in a plot to murder dozens of African-Americans, culminating in the assassination of President Obama.

-- December 2008: A pair of "Patriot" movement radicals -- the father-son team of Bruce and Joshua Turnidge, who wanted "to attack the political infrastructure" -- threaten a bank in Woodburn, Oregon, with a bomb in the hopes of extorting money that would end their financial difficulties, for which they blamed the government. Instead, the bomb goes off and kills two police officers. The men eventually are convicted and sentenced to death for the crime.

-- December 2008: In Belfast, Maine, police discover the makings of a nuclear "dirty bomb" in the basement of a white supremacist shot dead by his wife. The man, who was independently wealthy, reportedly was agitated about the election of President Obama and was crafting a plan to set off the bomb.

-- January 2009: A white supremacist named Keith Luke embarks on a killing rampage in Brockton, Mass., raping and wounding a black woman and killing her sister, then killing a homeless man before being captured by police as he is en route to a Jewish community center.

-- February 2009: A Marine named Kody Brittingham is arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate President Obama. Brittingham also collected white-supremacist material.

-- April 2009: A white supremacist named Richard Poplawski opens fire on three Pittsburgh police officers who come to his house on a domestic-violence call and kills all three, because he believed President Obama intended to take away the guns of white citizens like himself. Poplawski is currently awaiting trial.

-- April 2009: Another gunman in Okaloosa County, Florida, similarly fearful of Obama's purported gun-grabbing plans, kills two deputies when they come to arrest him in a domestic-violence matter, then is killed himself in a shootout with police.

-- May 2009: A "sovereign citizen" named Scott Roeder walks into a church in Wichita, Kansas, and assassinates abortion provider Dr. George Tiller.

-- June 2009: A Holocaust denier and right-wing tax protester named James Von Brunn opens fire at the Holocaust Museum, killing a security guard.

-- February 2010: An angry tax protester named Joseph Ray Stack flies an airplane into the building housing IRS offices in Austin, Texas. (Media are reluctant to label this one "domestic terrorism" too.)

-- March 2010: Seven militiamen from the Hutaree Militia in Michigan and Ohio are arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate local police officers with the intent of sparking a new civil war.

-- March 2010: An anti-government extremist named John Patrick Bedell walks into the Pentagon and opens fire, wounding two officers before he is himself shot dead.

-- May 2010: A "sovereign citizen" from Georgia is arrested in Tennessee and charged with plotting the violent takeover of a local county courthouse.

-- May 2010: A still-unidentified white man walks into a Jacksonville, Fla., mosque and sets it afire, simultaneously setting off a pipe bomb.

-- May 2010: Two "sovereign citizens" named Jerry and Joe Kane gun down two police officers who pull them over for a traffic violation, and then wound two more officers in a shootout in which both of them are eventually killed.

-- July 2010: An agitated right-winger and convict named Byron Williams loads up on weapons and drives to the Bay Area intent on attacking the offices of the Tides Foundation and the ACLU, but is intercepted by state patrolmen and engages them in a shootout and armed standoff in which two officers and Williams are wounded.

-- September 2010: A Concord, N.C., man is arrested and charged with plotting to blow up a North Carolina abortion clinic. The man, 26-year--old Justin Carl Moose, referred to himself as the "Christian counterpart to (Osama) bin Laden” in a taped undercover meeting with a federal informant.

The Giffords shooting brings the tally to 19 total cases of domestic-terrorism inspired by right-wing extremism in the past couple of years. Oh, excuse me: I meant to say "isolated incidents". Because that is how each of these cases was treated -- and how they continue to be reported by the mainstream media, particularly at Fox, which generally does not report on them at all."
~ http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiw...other-isolated

While I understand it is fashionable to assume anyone involved with the Tea Party movement is a racist...is there anything at all that ties all or any of these people to the Tea Party movement? Or is it just that some folks have such a broad characterization of the Tea Party that it includes anyone and everyone who even remotely objects to something the government is doing or objects to taxes...or just anyone that has the appearance of having a so-called "conservative" or "right-wing" leaning and perpetrates some kind of violence?

post #11 of 21
Quote:

While I understand it is fashionable to assume anyone involved with the Tea Party movement is a racist..

I wouldn't call it fashion....insight or recognition might be a better word.

Unless one IS one of the racists of course....the only people who defended the Nazis as being subject to a 'fashion' of naming them antisemites were the Nazis.

But shouldn't be too hard to clear up: simply post a link to an ANTI-RACIST, PRO-IMMIGRATION or MUSLIM SUPPORTER (or even an actual Muslim?) in the Tea Party Soul Crew.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

You're being far too generous.

Quote:

Unless one IS one of the racists of course....the only people who defended the Nazis as being subject to a 'fashion' of naming them antisemites were the Nazis.

Hmmm. Interesting comparison.

Quote:

But shouldn't be too hard to clear up: simply post a link to an ANTI-RACIST, PRO-IMMIGRATION or MUSLIM SUPPORTER (or even an actual Muslim?) in the Tea Party Soul Crew.

Clever.

post #13 of 21
Quote:

You're being far too generous.

Well...if it walks like an elephant, looks like an elephant, makes a trumpeting noise, has tusks and a trunk and leaves a very large turd on your living room carpet - if it has those characteristics and your handle isn't Trumptman then it's very unlikely to be a duck.

Quote:
Hmmm. Interesting comparison.

I prefer the word 'frightening' which - unfortunately - is far more accurate.

Quote:
Clever.

Not really...see my comments about recognizing elephants above. All it takes is a good pair of eyes, lack of psychological disorder and a familiarity with basic animal groupings and types.

You're not going to find such a link are you? Elephants don't live in Antarctica.
post #14 of 21
Quote:

I woulda say that I identify with the political fiscal platform of the tea party and would fit your last description in all 3 portions. Anti racist, pro legal immigration, and do not hate Muslims in the slightest. (My sister converted over a year ago.) So what does that make me, besides a target on these forums for ridicule?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I woulda say that I identify with the political fiscal platform of the tea party and would fit your last description in all 3 portions. Anti racist, pro legal immigration, and do not hate Muslims in the slightest. (My sister converted over a year ago.) So what does that make me, besides a target on these forums for ridicule?

It makes you more interesting

Seriously though.....if you are those things - and I accept it, I don't think you would lie - then why would you identify with the Tea Party when a large portion of their position is actively against these things?

I can say the same about certain policies of the BNP (the UK Nazi party) which I also agree with (the opposition to the Iraq and Afghan wars for example) but I would not identify with them or join them.

Most groups have SOME ideas you might agree with - doesn't it depend how much the 'bad' ones goes against your own core 'good' ones?
post #16 of 21
Quote:

It makes you more interesting

Seriously though.....if you are those things - and I accept it, I don't think you would lie - then why would you identify with the Tea Party when a large portion of their position is actively against these things?

I can say the same about certain policies of the BNP (the UK Nazi party) which I also agree with (the opposition to the Iraq and Afghan wars for example) but I would not identify with them or join them.

Most groups have SOME ideas you might agree with - doesn't it depend how much the 'bad' ones goes against your own core 'good' ones?

I guess in this case I would say that I don't see the Tea Party as being a centrally ran group but more of a movement with figures that have tried to become the focus point for the purpose of claiming power. With any popular movement you will get this. I am not a "card-carrying" member in that sense. And as with any popular movement i agree with what you have said:

"Most groups have SOME ideas you might agree with - doesn't it depend how much the 'bad' ones goes against your own core 'good' ones?"

It does depend, and if I find that those around me in that movement are as you paint it, then I will cease to identify with it.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/f...licans-resign/

Even not-so-moderate Republicans think you Tea Party nutcases need to tone your shit down.

We are going to understand this to mean two Republicans per the MumboJumbo rule of unstated leftist quantifiers and not the majority of Republicans as a whole.

Quote:

Well...if it walks like an elephant, looks like an elephant, makes a trumpeting noise, has tusks and a trunk and leaves a very large turd on your living room carpet - if it has those characteristics and your handle isn't Trumptman then it's very unlikely to be a duck.

I prefer the word 'frightening' which - unfortunately - is far more accurate.

Not really...see my comments about recognizing elephants above. All it takes is a good pair of eyes, lack of psychological disorder and a familiarity with basic animal groupings and types.

You're not going to find such a link are you? Elephants don't live in Antarctica.

You seem to be getting quite irritated lately Sego. All that dogma weighing you down?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You seem to be getting quite irritated lately Sego. All that dogma weighing you down?

Something is weighing me down for sure.... it feels kind of dense and heavy, dull and lacking in consciousness....pedestrian even.

I haven't identified it fully yet but it's definitely becoming a burden.
post #19 of 21
This thread is bullshit. There is no "tea party violence."
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #20 of 21
Can you read? It says "violent threats."

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This thread is bullshit. There is no "tea party violence."

This could blow a fuse...maybe it has.

Republicans are scared of the Tea Party.... which way to go, what to do...does not compute.....BANG!!

Or maybe it's all ok..... just ignore it as usual and carry on regardless without processing any information at all. Why change a winning formula?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Even Republicans are scared of Tea Party Violent Threats