or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple could remove home button in next-gen iPad, iPhone - rumor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple could remove home button in next-gen iPad, iPhone - rumor

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
An unverified report claims that Apple is planning to remove the home button on the iPad and iPhone as early as later this year, relying instead on multitouch gestures to return to the home screen.

Boy Genius Report is reporting that, according to one of its sources, Apple is already testing iPads and iPhones without home buttons on its Cupertino, Calif., campus. However, since the report itself admits the information is "pretty wild," readers should take it with a grain of salt.

"We are told that Apple, at some point in time, will remove the home button from the iPads design. Instead of button taps, you will use new multitouch gestures to navigate to the home screen and also to launch the app switcher," the report predicted.

"It's possible we will see this new change materialize with the next-generation iPad and iPhone devices set to launch this year," wrote author Jonathan S. Geller.

The report also cites new multitouch gestures from a beta version of iOS 4.3 released Wednesday that enable a 5-finger pinch gesture for accessing the home screen. Other gestures new to the beta include a swipe up to reveal the multitasking tray and a swipe left or right to switch between open applications.

Apple's iLife and photo-taking application Photo Booth could also make their way onto the next iPad, the report speculated.

Though BGR has had a respectable track record with AT&T and iPhone announcements, its Apple-related predictions have been less accurate. In 2009, the site incorrectly claimed that Blu-Ray support was coming to iTunes 9.

More recently, the site reported that a cloud version of iTunes with wireless syncing was "definitely happening soon." Last January, BGR reported "Apple tablet-related news" involving a "solid Apple / Verizon connection."
post #2 of 107
Not a credible rumor source. It would be more believable it if came from other sources.

From BGR, it is pure conjecture. And because it is from BGR, I am more inclined to believe that it is shameless pageview poppycock.
post #3 of 107
i could see it on the ipad where the home button is seemingly out of place. it is so small in comparision the the screen and if you have ever played fruit ninja you would know that the home button is accidentaly hit at times. also with such a big screen, a five figer gesture is much more natural than on the iphone. however apple values consistency, so i find it hard to believe that the home button will be scrapped since a finger gesture consisting of more than 2 fingers is awkward on a <4 inch screen.
post #4 of 107
I think the unit would have to be consuming power if it had to react to a touch of the screen. No idea how much but a unit should need no power consumption to react to the home button.
post #5 of 107
Bullshit. What happens when an application locks up? Press the power button and lock\\unlock? Reboot? That would be a fantastic UX...

Not to mention what would happen if an application implements the same gestures so that every time I went to reload the manor on my grade 6 elven dragon sword the system jumped back to the home screen.

Gestures for application switching would be great... but they can only work well from the home screen.
post #6 of 107
I never did like that home button on the iPad. It's a pain in the ass or finger. Okay ass and finger in the same sentence didn't sound right. Anyways either they replace it with a soft button or get rid of it.
post #7 of 107
Frankly, this sounds like they're pulling a page out of the webOS playbook, except you're using multi-touch gestures to return to the home screen.

Edit: Oh, and you're not exactly quitting apps when doing so. Not sure if you can really say webOS has a home screen. :/ Just a main screen, a dock, and an app launcher, that's about it. Just a thought here from someone using a webOS device (and kinda feeling some iWithdrawals in the process) and hearing about this.
post #8 of 107
That button has uses other than just going to the home screen. The reboot already mentioned is one. Screen captures is another. Probably at least another that I can't think of.

Now I could see them moving the button from the bezel area, allowing that to be reduced, and putting it on the side.
post #9 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Bullshit. What happens when an application locks up? Press the power button and lock\\unlock? Reboot? That would be a fantastic UX...

Not to mention what would happen if an application implements the same gestures so that every time I went to reload the manor on my grade 6 elven dragon sword the system jumped back to the home screen.

Gestures for application switching would be great... but they can only work well from the home screen.

I doubt developers will have access to multi-touch gestures. I think it'll strictly be for multitasking purposes and avoid exactly that kind of a mess and confusion.
post #10 of 107
So if they remove the home button what would they do with the extra space, bigger screen on the iPhone maybe?
post #11 of 107
NO.

You don't remove it. If sensors fail on the interface, the Power Button will take you to the default set up and could be extended to default into a power down/safe mode if the interface is failing.
post #12 of 107
l dont buy it. The new gestures are pretty cool, but that button is still useful! For everything from toggling Search to enabling assistive features to triggering voice commands to taking screenshots... and yes, bringing up the home screen.
post #13 of 107
Man I hope that is not true, I am sick and tired of Apple just taking things away that seem to work just fine,

Probably some sort of cost cutting measure. They just cant leave well enough alone, can you apple.

Probably some 20 something x gen developed this feature and thought, hey mon this is cool no button!

DOn;t crao around with out buttons Jobs, or someone will get pissed and star a campaign to have it put back on!
post #14 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

l dont buy it. The new gestures are pretty cool, but that button is still useful! For everything from toggling Search to enabling assistive features to triggering voice commands to taking screenshots... and yes, bringing up the home screen.

Nice!

I still don't think they can make that work in 3rd party applications though. The home button is here to stay.
post #15 of 107
A 4-inch screen iPhone anyone?
post #16 of 107
I would rather they made the home button more rectangular to take less space on iPhone and iPod touch.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #17 of 107
I think most people can't be ars*d learning the silly 4 and 5 finger gestures. Even 3 fingers is a bit much. I think the Home button should be a general purpose Back button instead. Since these buttons were popularized by browsers, people expect them everywhere. I get frustrated if I'm in an app and there's no way to go back.
post #18 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An unverified report claims that Apple is planning to remove the home button

Best thing that could ever happen to iPhone. It simply takes too much of valuable space that could be used by a larger/wider screen. If you still want a hardware button there are plenty of vacant spaces on the edges.
post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by latency View Post

i could see it on the ipad where the home button is seemingly out of place. it is so small in comparision the the screen and if you have ever played fruit ninja you would know that the home button is accidentaly hit at times. also with such a big screen, a five figer gesture is much more natural than on the iphone. however apple values consistency, so i find it hard to believe that the home button will be scrapped since a finger gesture consisting of more than 2 fingers is awkward on a <4 inch screen.

Fruit ninja is an excellent example of where the home button is REQUIRED to swiftly quit the app. The game supporst up to five finger fruit slashing. So multi touch gestures are already taken and thus unavailable. Practically this would mean that developers aren't allowed to use more than 3 fingers, in order to secure system functionality with 4 and 5 fingers. That's just stupid if you ask me. Please, let this just be a crazy speculation. I like the supposed new multi touch gestures, but there mus be a button too in case of the apps already using multi touch.. Like crazy visuals apps or piano apps, guitar apps etc.
post #20 of 107
Bad idea. Apple is the king of simplicity. Millions expect to find that home button. Particularly those with physical ailments that would make multi-touch difficult.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #21 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Man I hope that is not true, I am sick and tired of Apple just taking things away that seem to work just fine,

Probably some sort of cost cutting measure. They just cant leave well enough alone, can you apple.

Probably some 20 something x gen developed this feature and thought, hey mon this is cool no button!

DOn;t crao around with out buttons Jobs, or someone will get pissed and star a campaign to have it put back on!

Hate to say it, but there aren't really any 20-something gen x folks around, since gen x is generally regarded as ending in 80-81. We're all in our 30s and 40s now.

Also, I can't see it saving any money. It would primarily make the display area larger. Or the whole phone smaller, but I suspect that's not the way they'd go. Too hard to work with something really small.
post #22 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Nice!

I still don't think they can make that work in 3rd party applications though. The home button is here to stay.

lol... you do realize that Apple controls the OS, the core of the phone? The developers are the ones who need to fall in line, not Apple.

Apple will simply make 4 finger gestures unavailable to developers. Developers today can't use the Home button in their apps. It'll be the same with 4 finger gestures.

This is being consistent with Apple's simplicity and the double press for multitasking was making things unnecessarily complex. Going full multitouch makes sense.

Now that this is implemented in iOS4.3, even if they keep the Home button, I won't be using it much myself. Gestures do make things easier if you understand them.

With regards to other functions, the power button in conjunction with the volume button(s) can perform the same tasks. Hold Power+Volume=reset. Hold and release Power+Volume=screenshot. 3 presses Power = Accessibility. Problem solved.
post #23 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Bad idea. Apple is the king of simplicity. Millions expect to find that home button...

I have to agree with you here, I also think the button makes the iOS devices what they are. It makes the "image" Aaple created, complete.
post #24 of 107
I would like them to disable the slide-to-unlock thing on the iPad. It makes sense on the iPhone, but my iPad just sits on the coffee table when not being used. Having to slide across every time I pick it up is annoying, I want to press the wake button and immediately get started.
post #25 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

With regards to other functions, the power button in conjunction with the volume button(s) can perform the same tasks. Hold Power+Volume=reset. Hold and release Power+Volume=screenshot. 3 presses Power = Accessibility. Problem solved.

That will make for some nice steady shots.
post #26 of 107
I don't think they will remove the home button on iPhone. It's not because it serves other purposes besides going to the home screen like other people said. There are 4 more physical buttons/switch in addition to the home button, so if there is a need to remove the home button, they can just move the functions to other buttons/switch or combination of them.

The real reason that they will not remove the home button on iPhone and go with multi-touch gesture is that it will always require more than one finger to operate the phone. Requiring more than one finger practically means requiring more than one hand. This is absolutely unacceptable for a phone. On iPad, multi-touch gesture may be a great idea, but definitely not on iPhone.
post #27 of 107
What if it's a combination of both?

Say by default, the new gestures are on and there is also a "home" button but now it's just a "generic" button...Gestures can be used to access the home screen and multitasking tray as noted...

But the button is there also which could be a user defined function? A user can set it to launch the photo app, the phone, contacts, etc...

If someone has accessibility issues, it can also be set to function as it always has...
post #28 of 107
Home Button; Good. Fire; Bad.

Seriously, you've never had an iPad go stupid? A direct switch is comforting in times of no touch response.
post #29 of 107
Should be like on Macs, four finger swipe down and "exposé" (show all open apps). Four fingers left and you can switch app. Four fingers up and you see the desktop (homescreen).


What I would like to see, instead of PhotoBooth, is "Aperture Light (PLEASE DON'T CALL IT "LITE")" for iPad and/or iPhoto Light for iPhone/iPad. That would be great.

The list could go on and on... But I'll stop here. I can imagine an iPhone/iPad without button though. Just implement multitouch well...
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

The real reason that they will not remove the home button on iPhone and go with multi-touch gesture is that it will always require more than one finger to operate the phone. Requiring more than one finger practically means requiring more than one hand. This is absolutely unacceptable for a phone. On iPad, multi-touch gesture may be a great idea, but definitely not on iPhone.

That's a very compelling argument to keep the home button. People hold the phone with one hand and operate the touch screen and home button with their thumb.

I do see the reason to eliminate the home button on iPad though. It really is a device with no top, bottom or sides and pressing the home button is clumsy and foreign to the touch experience.

From what I can tell in developer leaks, the gestures are available on the iPad only. Besides, who can swipe 4 fingers on an iPhone let alone pinch 5? I call this as an iPad only thing. No home button on iPad 2.
post #31 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I doubt developers will have access to multi-touch gestures. I think it'll strictly be for multitasking purposes and avoid exactly that kind of a mess and confusion.

I can use at least 8 fingers on Fruit Ninja HD. My first thought on the multi touch gestures was "can this be disabled by developers?" and as far as I can see it, it needs to be able to be disabled for games. Which means they can't get rid of the home button on the iPad.

The home button is used for so much more than just returning to the home screen. I use it to wake the phone up when locked, double click when locked to access iPod functions, force reset, screen capture, returning to page one of apps when you're on another page. You can't recreate all of this functionality with gestures or you risk adding too many and that means people will find it frustrating to use. With regards to iPhone, someone else also mentioned that taking away the home button means to use gestures you would have to use two hands, this is pretty much unacceptable for a phone.

Bottom line, this is rubbish and the home button is here to stay.
post #32 of 107
Not everyone has all 5 fingers. How would they access the home screen? I'm sure Apple will think of some elegant solution in future updates.
post #33 of 107
5-finger multitouch gesture: Lose a finger, lose your iPad.

Any system without redundancy/fat is brittle.
post #34 of 107
Just my opinion, but if they remove the home button from the iPhone, I probably will not buy it. Buttons allow one hand control on the iPhone. If anything, I would like to see the home button expanded to have a four way rocker for precise cursor control while typing. Also, add buttons aside from it for any number of functions. I'm sorry, but I'm a Luddite when it comes to this aspect of the interface of iOS. Or maybe I have a button fetish.... . However, if these new swipe controls are just an alternative 'choice'(yea I know, 'choice': Go... Er Steve forbid), meh, that's fine. ipad with no button... Maybe, refer to Luddite statement.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #35 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

With regards to other functions, the power button in conjunction with the volume button(s) can perform the same tasks. Hold Power+Volume=reset. Hold and release Power+Volume=screenshot. 3 presses Power = Accessibility. Problem solved.

Not sure whether that is the Apple way though!

What Apple currently has is OK I think.
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I never did like that home button on the iPad. It's a pain in the ass or finger. Okay ass and finger in the same sentence didn't sound right. Anyways either they replace it with a soft button or get rid of it.

How about you just turn the device the other way round, so the home button is top center? The home button is perfectly placed for a quick tap for either thumb. Just small enough so you don't catch it accidentally and just large enough to be able to press with the side of yr thumb. Perfect.
post #37 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

With regards to other functions, the power button in conjunction with the volume button(s) can perform the same tasks. Hold Power+Volume=reset. Hold and release Power+Volume=screenshot. 3 presses Power = Accessibility. Problem solved.

Hideous - what's intuitive about that? Having to read an instruction manual to learn how to use the power button? No thanks... Just leave the home button where it is. Simples.
post #38 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Best thing that could ever happen to iPhone. It simply takes too much of valuable space that could be used by a larger/wider screen. If you still want a hardware button there are plenty of vacant spaces on the edges.

Understand your point of view, but IMO, the button has a tactile feel in a good ergonomic location for all(left or right hand) users. The Android soft buttons are an excellent example of a poor ergonomic interface, again IMO. Counter arguments?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #39 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

A 4-inch screen iPhone anyone?

Yes please. The iPhone is more pocket computer than smartphone so a bigger screen would be great for apps/games.
post #40 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Best thing that could ever happen to iPhone. It simply takes too much of valuable space that could be used by a larger/wider screen. If you still want a hardware button there are plenty of vacant spaces on the edges.

Totally agree.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple could remove home button in next-gen iPad, iPhone - rumor
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple could remove home button in next-gen iPad, iPhone - rumor