or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Goo guns and other non lethal weapons.

Goo guns and other non lethal weapons.

post #1 of 36
I wonder if regular guns were illegal to use outside of sports and recreation, but other guns, non damaging ones, were perfectly legal everywhere, we could still protect ourselves and reduce the gun killings.

Guns have been developed that fire sticky goo. A shooter starts firing and you goo gun him. Preventing him from moving etc.

Other non lethal weapons could also be made that would be amazing at stopping people in their tracks.

The government could invest heavily into more designs and to make them effective and safe, even subsidize the purchase price.

A more palatable plan might have to include the legal possession in ones home, but not elsewhere.

Your thoughts?
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I wonder if regular guns were illegal to use outside of sports and recreation, but other guns, non damaging ones, were perfectly legal everywhere, we could still protect ourselves and reduce the gun killings.

Guns have been developed that fire sticky goo. A shooter starts firing and you goo gun him. Preventing him from moving etc.

Other non lethal weapons could also be made that would be amazing at stopping people in their tracks.

The government could invest heavily into more designs and to make them effective and safe, even subsidize the purchase price.

A more palatable plan might have to include the legal possession in ones home, but not elsewhere.

Your thoughts?

I see people feeling freer to shoot each other with these "non-lethal" guns as they are supposed to be safer and there being loss of life anyway leading to a restriction of the "non-lethal" weapons as well. The guns are not the problem, it is the irresponsibility of the people. That will not change with "safer" weapons.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I see people feeling freer to shoot each other with these "non-lethal" guns as they are supposed to be safer...

Hey...whaddya know...that appears to be what's happening with the police and tazers.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #4 of 36
Quote:

I see people feeling freer to shoot each other with these "non-lethal" guns as they are supposed to be safer and there being loss of life anyway leading to a restriction of the "non-lethal" weapons as well. The guns are not the problem, it is the irresponsibility of the people. That will not change with "safer" weapons.

Guns in "human hands" will always be the problem.

Non lethal weapons can be dangerous, sure but there are safer alternatives than tasers that need to be available.

These weapons wouldn't prevent all gun crimes, just like guns don't, but it's far more likely you'd goo a criminal if you didn't have to hurt him to do it. Sometimes people don't know who's at fault in a brawl say. Just goo them all, till the cops arrive.

I can see these weapons getting very sophisticated, way better than any conventional gun.

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hands sandon View Post

i wonder if regular guns were illegal to use outside of sports and recreation, but other guns, non damaging ones, were perfectly legal everywhere, we could still protect ourselves and reduce the gun killings.

Your thoughts?

sheer nonsense
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

sheer nonsense

I don't think so and I bet that how America gets rid of it's regular guns in the coming decades.

post #7 of 36
Quote:

Guns in "human hands" will always be the problem.

Non lethal weapons can be dangerous, sure but there are safer alternatives than tasers that need to be available.

These weapons wouldn't prevent all gun crimes, just like guns don't, but it's far more likely you'd goo a criminal if you didn't have to hurt him to do it. Sometimes people don't know who's at fault in a brawl say. Just goo them all, till the cops arrive.

I can see these weapons getting very sophisticated, way better than any conventional gun.

Sure, until a group of them suffocates when they get "goo'd" a bit too generously. Then it's on to the next "safe" weapon.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Hey...whaddya know...that appears to be what's happening with the police and tazers.

The "don't taz me bro" factor. I see it where I live. Cops show up in a high emotion situation where there is NO crime. Fail to calm people down. Taz and cuff regular citizen and charge them with resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer ...
post #9 of 36
Quote:

Sure, until a group of them suffocates when they get "goo'd" a bit too generously. Then it's on to the next "safe" weapon.

I'm not joking when I say a non-suffocating goo is sure to come about.

I guess you guys feel like it's like driving an electric car instead of a V12. I can see great things for this tech.

Here's one already designed. I bet the techs moved on at quite pace too-

"Some are simply weird. Consider two nonlethal weapons developed at Sandia National Laboratories, a top-secret government research facility in Albuquerque, N.M . These NLWs, which could have helped a lot in Haiti or Somalia, were originally designed to protect U.S. nuclear warheads in army and air force storage bunkers. Sandia experts were asked to consider the possibility that terrorists might one day invade such a bunker and hold the warheads themselves hostage. “One false move, the terrorists could say, “and we contaminate the continent.
This is a particularly tricky problem, since no one wants use guns or explosives around a nuclear warhead. The Sandia solution, now being peddled to U.S. law-enforcement agencies, for use against criminals and rioters was to come up with two very strange types of foam. One foam is supersticky: intruders would be drenched in a substance that, exposed to the air turns into taffylike glue. The other creates an avalanche of very dense soap bubbles that would leave the terrorists unable to hear, see or move, although they would still be able to breathe. Either way, the bad guys would be immobilized until the foams were dissolved and no one would fire a shot."
~ http://www.bombshock.com/weapons_com...l-weapons.html

post #10 of 36
Quote:

I'm not joking when I say a non-suffocating goo is sure to come about.

I guess you guys feel like it's like driving an electric car instead of a V12. I can see great things for this tech.

Here's one already designed. I bet the techs moved on at quite pace too-

"Some are simply weird. Consider two nonlethal weapons developed at Sandia National Laboratories, a top-secret government research facility in Albuquerque, N.M . These NLWs, which could have helped a lot in Haiti or Somalia, were originally designed to protect U.S. nuclear warheads in army and air force storage bunkers. Sandia experts were asked to consider the possibility that terrorists might one day invade such a bunker and hold the warheads themselves hostage. One false move, the terrorists could say, and we contaminate the continent.
This is a particularly tricky problem, since no one wants use guns or explosives around a nuclear warhead. The Sandia solution, now being peddled to U.S. law-enforcement agencies, for use against criminals and rioters was to come up with two very strange types of foam. One foam is supersticky: intruders would be drenched in a substance that, exposed to the air turns into taffylike glue. The other creates an avalanche of very dense soap bubbles that would leave the terrorists unable to hear, see or move, although they would still be able to breathe. Either way, the bad guys would be immobilized until the foams were dissolved and no one would fire a shot."
~ http://www.bombshock.com/weapons_com...l-weapons.html

Who is you guys? I would drive an electric car in a hot second. I have no use for a V12. Project much?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #11 of 36
In another decade or so weapons could be made publicly available that don't kill that are the same size as current weapons or smaller that are actually better at defending you from an attack than a conventional gun in many circumstances.

Take this weapon, it over the years to come could protect you from several crooks with guns in just a split second and you wont have to have killed anyone. I can see weapons that can knock someone down and immobilize them instantly coming before too long. At that point society even in the US might be prepared to substantially change their gun laws to only being allowed to carry "non-lethal"- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_Ring_Gun

EDIT- They've already developed this weapon to carry an incapacitating agent (as it says in the wiki article posted above)-

"The vortex ring gun is currently being developed. It fires a blank cartridge into a barrel which widens towards its muzzle. The pressure accelerates the air or gas in the barrel at high speed and it becomes a high-speed travelling vortex ring.

The weapon has been proven to knock down a 75 kilogram (165 lb) human dummy from 10 meters away with a single shot; military use will need a range of more than 20 meters.

This system will be designed to be handheld for single shots and mounted for multiple shot systems. It is planned to mount the vortex ring gun on a GL-6 repeating revolver 40 mm grenade launcher, or on the MK19-3 automatic 40-mm grenade launcher.

Firing at 10 shots per second resonates with body parts and causes a stronger effect.

An incapacitating agent can be injected so it mixes into and is carried by the vortex ring."

Incapacitating agent- The term incapacitating agent is defined by the U.S. Department of Defense as

"An agent that produces temporary physiological or mental effects, or both, which will render individuals incapable of concerted effort in the performance of their assigned duties."
Lethal agents are primarily intended to kill, but incapacitating agents can also kill if administered in a potent enough dose, or in certain scenarios."
~http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incapacitating_agent

post #12 of 36
Quote:

In another decade or so weapons could be made publicly available that don't kill that are the same size as current weapons or smaller that are actually better at defending you from an attack than a conventional gun in many circumstances.

Take this weapon, it over the years to come could protect you from several crooks with guns in just a split second and you wont have to have killed anyone. I can see weapons that can knock someone down and immobilize them instantly coming before too long. At that point society even in the US might be prepared to substantially change their gun laws to only being allowed to carry "non-lethal"- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_Ring_Gun

EDIT- They've already developed this weapon to carry an incapacitating agent (as it says in the wiki article posted above)-

"The vortex ring gun is currently being developed. It fires a blank cartridge into a barrel which widens towards its muzzle. The pressure accelerates the air or gas in the barrel at high speed and it becomes a high-speed travelling vortex ring.

The weapon has been proven to knock down a 75 kilogram (165 lb) human dummy from 10 meters away with a single shot; military use will need a range of more than 20 meters.

This system will be designed to be handheld for single shots and mounted for multiple shot systems. It is planned to mount the vortex ring gun on a GL-6 repeating revolver 40 mm grenade launcher, or on the MK19-3 automatic 40-mm grenade launcher.

Firing at 10 shots per second resonates with body parts and causes a stronger effect.

An incapacitating agent can be injected so it mixes into and is carried by the vortex ring."

Incapacitating agent- The term incapacitating agent is defined by the U.S. Department of Defense as

"An agent that produces temporary physiological or mental effects, or both, which will render individuals incapable of concerted effort in the performance of their assigned duties."
Lethal agents are primarily intended to kill, but incapacitating agents can also kill if administered in a potent enough dose, or in certain scenarios."
~http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incapacitating_agent

All wonderful ideas that could, if used wrong, kill. What happens when you fire this vortex gun at point blank range? Don't ignore reality, the gun is not the problem. And if you label the gun as safe, people will be more likely rather than less to pull the trigger, and in more circumstances where they otherwise would not.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #13 of 36
Quote:

All wonderful ideas that could, if used wrong, kill. What happens when you fire this vortex gun at point blank range? Don't ignore reality, the gun is not the problem. And if you label the gun as safe, people will be more likely rather than less to pull the trigger, and in more circumstances where they otherwise would not.

It's more complex than that. These NLW's (Non Lethal Weapons) if they were made with the possibility to even cause death could and should be made that it would take much more effort to do serious harm than a conventional gun, thereby limiting the risk of them being used to kill. If it took 3 minutes with this weapon held against someone chest say to kill them, then that's hardly as dangerous as a regular gun.

Keeping punishments in line with the harm caused by the crime is nothing new and I'm sure appropriate laws could be applied.

post #14 of 36
An unintended consequence of people thinking that these NLW's have no future is that governments could try to keep them out of their hands. As they further develop they could make a mockery of guns. Hitting numerous targets at once for instance even through walls etc.

post #15 of 36
Quote:

It's more complex than that. These NLW's (Non Lethal Weapons) if they were made with the possibility to even cause death could and should be made that it would take much more effort to do serious harm than a conventional gun, thereby limiting the risk of them being used to kill. If it took 3 minutes with this weapon held against someone chest say to kill them, then that's hardly as dangerous as a regular gun.

Keeping punishments in line with the harm caused by the crime is nothing new and I'm sure appropriate laws could be applied.

The Vortex Gun uses a shockwave that is concussive even at a distance of multiple yards and is able to knock down a substantial target at that distance. Think of it as similar to an airbag going off at point blank. You could do serious damage with a single shot. To the head you could cause brain damage. To the torso or chest you could rupture organs or tear a hole in a person. Think about it, it is not rocket science...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #16 of 36
Quote:

The Vortex Gun uses a shockwave that is concussive even at a distance of multiple yards and is able to knock down a substantial target at that distance. Think of it as similar to an airbag going off at point blank. You could do serious damage with a single shot. To the head you could cause brain damage. To the torso or chest you could rupture organs or tear a hole in a person. Think about it, it is not rocket science...

There's that potential certainly, but there's also the potential that wouldn't be the case and especially not as quickly and easily. These developments could be being driven by a concerned public, moulded to their needs and wants, instead there's just dismisal of them so the money goes to develop them for other purposes, perhaps making the resulting actual products unsuitable for citizen use when they needn't have been. That said there will still be people who develop systems for police and prison officers etc that might better suit the publics need rather than those developed for military uses.

Whilst you obviously have a good point I don't think you should rule out their potential as there are so many possibilities and new designs to develop.

post #17 of 36
NoahJ, how would you argue against an "incapacitating agent" being added to a non harmful carrier, something say similar to a red dot site that the police and military use on their sites?

Such a weapon could cause confusion and immobility or whatever they've got. Say one blast lasts ten seconds, 5 mins or something, and repeated blasts just keep the person or people in the same state. That could be a very useful NLW, especially if it could go through walls etc.

Another plus of such a weapon is people would be less scared of harming an innocent bystander which is often critical.

post #18 of 36
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #19 of 36
Quote:

http://www.geneva-forum.org/Reports/20040311.pdf

Good info to be had here.

Thanks. I can see ADS (Active Denial System) being the most widely used NLW by the police in the future.

"The NIJ's portable microwave-based weapon is less developed. Currently a tabletop prototype with a range of less than a metre, a backpack-sized prototype with a range of 15 metres will be ready next year, a spokesperson says.

The truly portable mini-ADS could prove the more useful, as microwaves penetrate clothing better than the infra-red beam, which is most effective on exposed skin."
~ http://www.newscientist.com/article/...m-weapons.html

Intense light beams being used in Florida by the police- http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...er-guns-602983

post #20 of 36
Quote:

Thanks. I can see ADS (Active Denial System) being the most widely used NLW by the police in the future.

"The NIJ's portable microwave-based weapon is less developed. Currently a tabletop prototype with a range of less than a metre, a backpack-sized prototype with a range of 15 metres will be ready next year, a spokesperson says.

The truly portable mini-ADS could prove the more useful, as microwaves penetrate clothing better than the infra-red beam, which is most effective on exposed skin."
~ http://www.newscientist.com/article/...m-weapons.html

Intense light beams being used in Florida by the police- http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...er-guns-602983

Be sure you read the positives and negatives in there. Every system has the possibility of damage to the person it is used on. Up to and including for the most part death. Should they look into these systems, absolutely. However they will not ever replace guns, that is in the report as well. I keep saying it hoping that it will not get lost in the discussion. The gun is not evil in itself, it has to be used by a person to do any harm. Even a NLW can be fully lethal if not used responsibly. Tasers are a good example. And there are many others as well. The lure of a "safe" weapon is strong, but one must realize, there is no such thing as a safe weapon. It is intended to incapacitate the target, that process, though maybe less dangerous, is not "safe". And it can and will in some cases lead to death if used improperly, or in circumstances where the target is not an average person with average health. (Think heart issues, allergies, weak constitution, lung problems, and any other issues.) Have fun with your topic, I hope you have not taken my input as raining on your parade, just trying to keep reality in the subject.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #21 of 36
If everyone had NLW instead of guns, do you think that there would be the same number of deaths?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

If everyone had NLW instead of guns, do you think that there would be the same number of deaths?

I hate to play the if game because it is not going to happen. I am dealing with this thread from a real perspective, not what one wishes things were like.

Honestly, it might be less, and it might not. People are stupid, give them a "safe weapon" and they more are likely to use it in unsafe ways. (They said it could not kill, I didn't know...)
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #23 of 36
You seem to be focusing so much on the extra deaths potentially caused by overuse of NLW that you neglect the benefits of having NLW in the first place. If people actually could use NLW for self defense, as opposed to actual guns, I find it hard to believe that wouldn't result in a net decrease in deaths.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #24 of 36
Quote:

I don't think so and I bet that how America gets rid of it's regular guns in the coming decades.

I hope you are right.To many guns in the wrong hands today.
post #25 of 36
Quote:

Be sure you read the positives and negatives in there. Every system has the possibility of damage to the person it is used on. Up to and including for the most part death. Should they look into these systems, absolutely. However they will not ever replace guns, that is in the report as well. I keep saying it hoping that it will not get lost in the discussion. The gun is not evil in itself, it has to be used by a person to do any harm. Even a NLW can be fully lethal if not used responsibly. Tasers are a good example. And there are many others as well. The lure of a "safe" weapon is strong, but one must realize, there is no such thing as a safe weapon. It is intended to incapacitate the target, that process, though maybe less dangerous, is not "safe". And it can and will in some cases lead to death if used improperly, or in circumstances where the target is not an average person with average health. (Think heart issues, allergies, weak constitution, lung problems, and any other issues.) Have fun with your topic, I hope you have not taken my input as raining on your parade, just trying to keep reality in the subject.

What you say is true, but like BR goes on to argue they would reduce deaths too. Like I said earlier if it takes minutes to kill someone or you have to be right up close to them that in itself makes it much harder to kill than having a gun, indeed a knife what do even better.

I dont doubt that at the moment there aren't NLW's that will offer gun owners the defense they want. That's why I say we should pressure our reps to fund NLW research so that we can maybe make weapons that aren't just as effective at defense but even more effective.

post #26 of 36
Quote:

You seem to be focusing so much on the extra deaths potentially caused by overuse of NLW that you neglect the benefits of having NLW in the first place. If people actually could use NLW for self defense, as opposed to actual guns, I find it hard to believe that wouldn't result in a net decrease in deaths.

Especially as they become more sophisticated and tailored for civilian use.

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

I hope you are right.To many guns in the wrong hands today.

We need to push our reps to act on our behalf as citizens exposed to guns, not just on behalf of the military, police, prisons and themselves.

post #28 of 36
Quote:

Yes, and I believe you see it that way. I find it hard to believe that you can spray a person with goo so sticky they cannot move and not have the chance of drowning or suffocating them either. I have not denied the possibility of such an advancement, just cautioned that people who have such a thing will likely find that the safety is still not what they hope for.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #29 of 36
If I were a cop I would never use a goo gun on someone. How am I supposed to clean my squad car after I take the goo perp in for booking?
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

If I were a cop I would never use a goo gun on someone. How am I supposed to clean my squad car after I take the goo perp in for booking?

Just put him in a large plastic bag.

post #31 of 36
Google is so fast these days.
post #32 of 36
Quote:

Maybe they like Goo!

post #33 of 36
Quote:

That was practically on Google before you posted it!
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #34 of 36
Some more interesting developments-

- A policeman was today heard saying "Goo are under arrest"

- "FREEZE!" Said the policeman, then having realized his mistake quickly changed it to "GOO!"

- Google top execs today decided on a name change dropping an "o" so they won't be associated with getting covered in goo. "Goggle it now is", said the Goggle CEO, adding "We recommend all of our customers now wear goggles".

"You have the right to remain silent, however anything you do say may and will be covered in goo and used in a court against goo"

"Police today uncovered a truckload of illegally obtained goo. It is thought it was stolen from numerous McDonalds around the city"

If I can think of any more I'll post them ASAP!

post #35 of 36
Not very practical for home defense either.
post #36 of 36
Quote:

Not very practical for home defense either.

Neithers a regular gun, especially with obesity the way it is.

"I didn't fire because I was worried about my carpet my lud"!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Goo guns and other non lethal weapons.