or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: 1M BlackBerry PlayBooks, Wikipedia founder calls App Store "dangerous," more evidence for iPad 2 cameras

Briefly: 1M BlackBerry PlayBooks, Wikipedia founder calls App Store "dangerous," more evidence...

post #1 of 127
A report out of the Far East claims volume production of Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will reach 1 million shipments in the first quarter of 2011, while Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales criticized Apple's App Store as "very dangerous" and a threat to Internet freedom. Finally, more evidence that cameras are coming to Apple's second-generation iPad has been discovered in the iOS 4.3 beta.

PlayBook

According to a report from Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes Friday, manufacturer Quanta Computer has already begun production of the PlayBook, which sources say will reach 1 million units by the end of the quarter. By comparison, Apple sold its first million iPads in just 28 days.

The Wi-Fi only version of the BlackBerry PlayBook will reportedly be released in March, followed by a 3G version with "Push Mail functions." A 4G-enabled version of the tablet is due out this summer on the Sprint network.

The report also notes that Motorola is expected to produce 700,000-800,000 units of the Android-based Xoom tablet. Motorola has outsourced the Xoom to Compal Electronics, with Wi-Fi and 3G-enabled versions coming in the first quarter and an LTE version on Verizon in the second quarter, claimed the report.

Wikipedia

Speaking in a "purely personal capacity" at an event in Bristol, England, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales said app stores like Apple's iOS App Store can act as a "chokepoint that is very dangerous."

It is time to ask if the model was "a threat to a diverse and open ecosystem," Wales continued. "We own [a] device, and we should control it."

Wales went on to downplay worry over net neutrality, arguing that many concerns are hypothetical and don't pose an immediate danger. The campaign for net neutrality has elements that are "highly overblown," centering more on fears about what might happen than what is happening.

During the speech, Wales also highlighted a lack of diversity among contributors to Wikipedia, which will celebrate its 10th anniversary on Saturday. 87 percent of contributors are male, with an average age of 26, and twice as likely to have PhDs as the general population. Wales hopes to improve the site's diversity by simplifying Wikipedia's editing system.

Last month, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission ruled in favor of network neutrality, but gave mobile networks an exemption, citing Google's Android mobile OS as a reason to take "measured steps" for wireless carriers.

iPad 2 camera

Engadget reports that evidence of "shutter screens and camera / video icons" has been discovered in the developer build of iOS 4.3, possibly suggesting that the next-generation iPad will indeed feature a camera. According to the report, the icons are optimized for a 1024 x 768 resolution display, the same as the first-generation iPad.

Apple issued the beta on Wednesday, with several new features, including new multitouch gestures and a "Find My Friends" feature tied to MobileMe. The update will also reportedly add the ability to choose between setting the iPad hardware switch as a mute button or an orientation lock.

Code in the iOS 4.3 beta also referred to two new iPhone and three new iPad models. The unannounced iPhones are known as "iPhone4,1" and "iPhone4,2," while the next-generation iPads are referred to as "iPad2,1," "iPad2,2," and "iPad2,3."

Reports of a camera on the second-generation iPad have been strengthened by various sources. In September, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple planned to bring FaceTime to the iPad, possibly ahead of the usual 12-month product cycle. More recently, leaked cases allegedly for the iPad 2 have a spot for a rear camera and enlarged speaker grille.
post #2 of 127
Perhaps there will be a cheaper, non-camera enabled version of the iPad, hence the three versions?
post #3 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Perhaps there will be a cheaper, non-camera enabled version of the iPad, hence the three versions?

Probably not. Wifi, GSM, and CDMA.
post #4 of 127
So Wales says that the App Store is a dangerous choke point. As though the App Store is the only way to distribute apps.

Then says that net neutrality are overblown? When every mobile carrier has shown some interest in it.
post #5 of 127
What is this freedom and how is it compromised? I don't get it... The AppStore isn't the Internet... Apparently removing the video codec that everyone uses to view the majority of non-Flash internet video from one of the main web browsers so that this web browser company can try to force everyone to use their codec is increasing internet freedom though...

Sounds like RIM is building enough to fill a worldwide distribution channel... just like the Windows Phone 7...
post #6 of 127
Ooops! Looks like Steve won't be making a donation this year!
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #7 of 127
I feel like pointing out that Apple was one of Wikipedia's first main proponents, ungrateful wretch...... lol
post #8 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to a report from Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes Friday, manufacturer Quanta Computer has already begun production of the PlayBook, which sources say will reach 1 million units by the end of the quarter. By comparison, Apple sold its first million iPads in just 28 days.

After the Samsung Galaxy Tabs sales using Android 2.2 I think 1M PlayBooks is conservative.

Quote:
[Code in the iOS 4.3 beta also referred to two new iPhone and three new iPad models. The unannounced iPhones are known as "iPhone4,1" and "iPhone4,2," while the next-generation iPads are referred to as "iPad2,1," "iPad2,2," and "iPad2,3."

What about the mysterious iPhone3,3 listing. In other words, a 3rd iPhone 4. The CDMA model with a Sim/UIM tray for Asian CDMA networks? The GSM/TD-SCDMA model for China Mobile? I doubt it would be a whole new model now for the AWS band for T-Mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I dont think so. The cost of the camera is too small to warranty a different device for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Thats what Im thinking, but Im also thinking the higher capacity WiFi-only model could be withdrawn, as well as the lowest capacity in the cellular models. That would keep it at 6 total models like they have now. My reasoning is based intermittent checks at Amazon seeing the 64Gb WiFi model and 16Gb WiFi+3G model being the weakest sellers. (too tired to check Amazon before posting )
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 127
I appreciate the App Store because I like the idea of apps being filtered and moderated to a certain extent. Just look at the mess that the "open Internet" has created for desktop operating systems in the last 30 years... it's a mess. The App Store is a clean, vetted source of apps, quality or otherwise. At least I know I won't have to wade through crap masquerading as legitimate products, like all of those "camera and printer driver" websites out there.
post #10 of 127
Well.. there goes Wikipedia garbage off my iPhone!
post #11 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

After the Samsung Galaxy Tabs sales using Android 2.2 I think 1M PlayBooks is conservative.

Sounds like there is (would be) quite a demand for 7 inch iPads to me.
post #12 of 127
Quote:

... founder Jimmy Wales said app stores like Apple's iOS App Store can act as a "chokepoint that is very dangerous."

It is time to ask if the model was "a threat to a diverse and open ecosystem," Wales continued. "We own [a] device, and we should control it."

Ultimate control is in the hand of the consumer. You dont like it, dont buy it. What is so complicated about that.

Contributions to Wikipedia... yeah, need more diversity... less PHDs posting on there and more ignorant idiots to put up misinformation.
post #13 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Sounds like there is (would be) quite a demand for 7 inch iPads to me.

Have you seen or tried a 7 inch pad. I was amazed at how small it is when I saw it. I would never want one.
post #14 of 127
App store a tiny tiny tiny part of the Internet experience is dangerous

While having less net neutrality (basically the whole freaking Internet) is not a problem.

Is this guy high?
post #15 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

Ultimate control is in the hand of the consumer. You dont like it, dont buy it. What is so complicated about that.

Contributions to Wikipedia... yeah, need more diversity... less PHDs posting on there and more ignorant idiots to put up misinformation.

Is Steve Jobs spooning you right now? Here is an idea, Freedom of Choice! Allow third party OTA installations without asking for Papa's permission, warn the user of the danger but let the user choose! Its a mobile computing platform just like a Apple Macintosh not a toaster.

So I dont buy it? I'll go to google where I have more installation freedom but they will mine all my personal data to exploit me in the future. Maybe I'll check out WP7, ohh wait they are doing both.

God your the customer, pretend for once like your in the drivers seat, looking after your own self interest and demanding progress instead of running PR for Apple.

Its up to us to mold the construct of how the corporation behaves in our society, its the dog and has its purpose but we are supposed to be the handler!
post #16 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

Is Steve Jobs spooning you right now? Here is an idea, Freedom of Choice!

Do you even know what "freedom of choice" means?

Apple has the freedom to control their own app store.
And you have the freedom to not buy anything made by apple.
post #17 of 127
I also dont get Jimmy Wales point either, at least as far as is quoted in this article.

but, what it might be equivalent to is this:

a private app store is equivalent to a new shopping mall in the suburbs in the early 70's, drawing shoppers away from the city.

shopping malls drew people away from a more spread out, and therefore more equalized economy.
shopping malls centralised people away from a more broad based shopping pattern and concentrated the purchasing power into the hands of the mall tenants.

it is a interesting comparison that could be made with the apple app store. iTunes store accounts for how much of all music purchased in the USA? same could happen to apps as well. fewer traffic to smaller independent software houses.
post #18 of 127
i don't think net neutrality is that much of an issue in Europe as it is in the US. I may be wrong though.

I also think Wales criticism for the App Store stem from Apple's power to yank out any offending apps from your iPhone, which so far Apple has never exercised that right so far.

I do find it contradictory that Wales would have two differring opinions of the two though. As they both concern private companies flexing their corporate muscle squashing end users over the net.
post #19 of 127
Quote:

During the speech, Wales also highlighted a lack of diversity among contributors to Wikipedia, which will celebrate its 10th anniversary on Saturday. 87 percent of contributors are male, with an average age of 26, and twice as likely to have PhDs as the general population. Wales hopes to improve the site's diversity by simplifying Wikipedia's editing system.[/url][/c]

Yes I think it's ridiculous how many PhDs are contributing. Wales must make it possible for illiterate people, people in comas and children under the age of five to contribute as well.
post #20 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Do you even know what "freedom of choice" means?

Apple has the freedom to control their own app store.
And you have the freedom to not buy anything made by apple.

Why dont you start and read Milton Friedman's book "Free to Choose", or better yet watch the movie. God knows you wont read a book.

We are dealing with collusion being created through a co-op of corporate and government interest, limiting the consumers freedom. For example in Canada it has just been established that breaking digital locks on a Iphone, Android or WP7 is illegal. So too bad you dont have a open device, you cant open it.

We have nowhere to go. Its not just Apple.
post #21 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't. They are probably saying 1 million, because the cost is going to be higher than that of the iPad or the Android competition.
Everything I have read sounds like they are going to target executive customers and this just adds another nail into that coffin.
post #22 of 127
I agree with wikipedia founder 100%, the App Store is dangerous because it's the only place one can legitimately download a program on their "pocket" computer. We would be outraged if the PC at home would have the same practice, so why doesn't that apply to our small "pocket" computer from Apple?

I'm not against Apple's App Store, I just think it shouldn't be the only place where we can install a program in the iPhone.

I would go as far as say that it's unlawful what Apple is practicing and should be respectively punished just like Microsoft was punished in the EU for their practices with the internet browser.
post #23 of 127
Quote:

Is Steve Jobs spooning you right now? Here is an idea, Freedom of Choice! Allow third party OTA installations without asking for Papa's permission, warn the user of the danger but let the user choose! Its a mobile computing platform just like a Apple Macintosh not a toaster.

So I dont buy it? I'll go to google where I have more installation freedom but they will mine all my personal data to exploit me in the future. Maybe I'll check out WP7, ohh wait they are doing both.

God your the customer, pretend for once like your in the drivers seat, looking after your own self interest and demanding progress instead of running PR for Apple.

Its up to us to mold the construct of how the corporation behaves in our society, its the dog and has its purpose but we are supposed to be the handler!

Yes, bitching on an internet forum is a much more effective way of changing a consumer electronics company's behavior than declining to buy their products.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #24 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

I agree with wikipedia founder 100%, the App Store is dangerous because it's the only place one can legitimately download a program on their "pocket" computer. We would be outraged if the PC at home would have the same practice, so why doesn't that apply to our small "pocket" computer from Apple?

I'm not against Apple's App Store, I just think it shouldn't be the only place where we can install a program in the iPhone.

I would go as far as say that it's unlawful what Apple is practicing and should be respectively punished just like Microsoft was punished in the EU for their practices with the internet browser.

It's about to get even worse- Apple has told newspaper and magazine publishers that all subscriptions have to be sold through the App Store. No more downloading a free app to your iPad/Phone and then entering subscriber information (if you already subscribe to the paper version or have just a digital-only subscription) to activate your subscription. This means that you'll now have to buy 2 subscriptions to a paper/magazine if you want access to both the paper and digital versions, with Apple getting its cut for one of those 2. Otherwise, Apple has threatened to remove that publisher's app from the App Store.

This development gives Wales' fear weight. It's one thing to insist on an App Store-only model for app delivery based on the need to maintain a certain level of quality for the apps and how well they work with the OS, but it's a whole other apple (pun intended) to maintain that model in order to squeeze out extra revenue only. This move is so greedy on Apple's part. IT'S MY DAMN IPAD- the publishers giving me information & I shouldn't have to give Apple 30% for all the content that goes on there. Makes me feel even less sorry for jailbreaking my iPhone.

I too foresee the EU taking a seriously negative view to this...
post #25 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

Iphone can be easily jail broken and the rest internet has to offer is readily available for you. Apple simply says use your iPhone with these apps (over 300,000) and we will do are best to make sure you user experience is the best. Use it with some others from elsewhere and we can't guarantee the results. The majority of the iPhone users are very happy with this arrangement and prefer it this way. Majority of app store developers prefer it this way and enjoy the compensation it brings them. Just ask the angry birds guys what they think about the way Apple sells apps for the iPhone.
post #26 of 127
Quote:

Wikipedia

Speaking in a "purely personal capacity" at an event in Bristol, England, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales said app stores like Apple's iOS App Store can act as a "chokepoint that is very dangerous."

Wales went on to downplay worry over net neutrality, arguing that many concerns are hypothetical and don't pose an immediate danger. The campaign for net neutrality has elements that are "highly overblown," centering more on fears about what might happen than what is happening.

During the speech, Wales also highlighted a lack of diversity among contributors to Wikipedia, which will celebrate its 10th anniversary on Saturday. 87 percent of contributors are male, with an average age of 26, and twice as likely to have PhDs as the general population. Wales hopes to improve the site's diversity by simplifying Wikipedia's editing system.

Last month, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission ruled in favor of network neutrality, but gave mobile networks an exemption, citing Google's Android mobile OS as a reason to take "measured steps" for wireless carriers.

[/url][/c]

I disagree 100% with Wales. Apart from the iPhone being still one of the best smartphones, it's actually the AppStore which I really appreciate. I really don't want to bother about malware etc.. I simply don't want to spend any time on this. Therefore I am extremely thankful to Apple, that they are doing this tedious job. If anybody doesn't like this.... Well WTH is he buying an iOS product. Stay with android and be happy.
post #27 of 127
Jimmy Wales is on crack these days. How does increasing the diversity of contributors to Wikipedia make it more accurate, which is the only thing that should matter about it?
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #28 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Now that Verizon is in the mix you will see differentiation for network type in the model numbers as to some degree there will be differences in the firmware and modem base band for GSM and CDMA. For the iPad I could see a camera-less model being produced to fill a need for some business / enterprise customers that have secrecy requirements but since Apple doesn't produce a macbook without a camera I doubt they care to much for that market segment.
post #29 of 127
Forgive my ignorance, but what does Net Neutrality actually mean?
post #30 of 127
If you inverted his statements and applied whet he said about Net Neutrality to the Apple App store and what he said about the App Store to Net Neutrality it would be correct.
post #31 of 127
I contribute $$ to wikipedia every year and these comments irk me. Almost seems like some hidden agenda when he worries about the app store (a tiny and discrete part of the internet) becoming a choke point but net neutrality is not an issue right now, so why worry about what might happen? WTF?!

I hope he was misquoted or this is out of context. Pending claificarion, I will have to reconsider where to send my hard-earned money this year. Perhaps one of the groups fighting for net neutrality. Because IMO, these two issues are not even in the same universe, net neutrality is the most important freedom of information issue we are facing right now and we are failing miserably. The Trojan Norse is already out of the barn.

http://techdailydose.nationaljournal...nvestigate.php

‎"According to the six-page letter, MetroPCS has introduced a tiered system under which customers are changed more for accessing high-usage sites such as Netflix and Skype."
post #32 of 127
How about having a massive share of knowledge on one web site that usually comes up first in almost any google search. Is that not a choke point? Eh Jimmy?

Jimmy Wales has disappointed me there. If desktop computers end up with locked down app stores then he would have a point but there is no sign of that happening. I happen to think the model suits devices like the iPhone and xbox/ps3 because they are dedicated devices not general purpose computers, and we don't want to end up running anti-virus/spyware software on them.
post #33 of 127
Quote:

That is just crazy. Apple owns the device until we finish paying off ATT. The price is subsidized. We are just renting it from Apple.
post #34 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

If you inverted his statements and applied whet he said about Net Neutrality to the Apple App store and what he said about the App Store to Net Neutrality it would be correct.

Nail on the head.
post #35 of 127
Quote:

Why dont you start and read Milton Friedman's book "Free to Choose", or better yet watch the movie. God knows you wont read a book.

We are dealing with collusion being created through a co-op of corporate and government interest, limiting the consumers freedom. For example in Canada it has just been established that breaking digital locks on a Iphone, Android or WP7 is illegal. So too bad you dont have a open device, you cant open it.

We have nowhere to go. Its not just Apple.

Help... the paranoids are after us!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #36 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tania View Post

... I do find it contradictory that Wales would have two differring opinions of the two though. As they both concern private companies flexing their corporate muscle squashing end users over the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

How about having a massive share of knowledge on one web site that usually comes up first in almost any google search. Is that not a choke point? Eh Jimmy?

Anytime anyone starts using phrases like "open ecosystems", you pretty much know that the rest of what they have to say is going to be bullshit and utterly divorced from reality. "Open" has become a purely political phrase that technology people use to sway "single issue voters", a demographic who will mindlessly support anything with the "open" label attached.

So, there doesn't have to be any logic to his statements. He's got to look out for his own interests and make certain people happy. Follow the money and it will all make a lot more sense.
post #37 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So Wales says that the App Store is a dangerous choke point. As though the App Store is the only way to distribute apps.

Then says that net neutrality are overblown? When every mobile carrier has shown some interest in it.

Indeed! Eye-opening and sad to see how clueless and deeply compromised Wales really is. I'd imagined better of him, until now.
post #38 of 127
The App store is dangerous only if you believe Apple is going to conquer the market entirely. In reality, if Apple gets too cute in its control and its censoring, Android will simply blossom to accommodate those users whom Apple cannot satisfy.

Recall, the iPad and iPod products are simply consumer devices, not major media outlets. As such, Apple should be free to sell applications however it wants. Do we critique Braun for using a different coffee filter from Mr. Coffee? Product differentiation is the life blood of consumer marketing.
post #39 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

That is just crazy. Apple owns the device until we finish paying off ATT. The price is subsidized. We are just renting it from Apple.

Wow, I'm surprised you lasted this long this time, serial troll. Let's start a pool on how many posts CEOstevie makes it to before he get's banned again.
post #40 of 127
Quote:

Why dont you start and read Milton Friedman's book "Free to Choose"...

Maybe you didn't get the memo but Milton Friedman's theories have been entirely contradicted by reality.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: 1M BlackBerry PlayBooks, Wikipedia founder calls App Store "dangerous," more evidence for iPad 2 cameras