or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: 1M BlackBerry PlayBooks, Wikipedia founder calls App Store "dangerous," more evidence for iPad 2 cameras
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: 1M BlackBerry PlayBooks, Wikipedia founder calls App Store "dangerous," more evidence... - Page 3

post #81 of 127
And apparently the co-founder of wikipedia (the philosopher not the one selling porn via their website, that's Jimbo Wales) agrees on the sad state of affairs at wikipedia:

Quote:
Two weeks after the launch of Citizendium, Sanger criticized Wikipedia, stating the latter was "broken beyond repair," and had a range of problems "from serious management problems, to an often dysfunctional community, to frequently unreliable content, and to a whole series of scandals."[88] Sanger stated in part:

The work of the Wikipedians has astounded the world, but the amateur nature of Wikipedia's contributions, whose authors remain anonymous, is not for everyone. Some experts are hostile toward the idea of Wikipedia and many avoid Wikipedia altogether. We may take Wikipedia as an early prototype of the application of open source hacker principles to content rather than code. I want to argue that it is just that, an early prototype, rather than a mature model of how such principles should be applied to reference, scholarly and educational content. Where Wikipedia shares the culture of anonymity found in the broader Internet, the Citizendium will have a culture of real-world, personal responsibility.[89]

Citizendium has a form of peer-review, in which the site's content is subject to "gentle expert oversight."[90][91][92] In reference to creating a new encyclopedia project Sanger stated: "I think there is a need for a more reliable and free [online] encyclopedia. If we can create a more reliable and free encyclopedia, particularly if we adopt a different system than Wikipedia's, then we should."[22] As Citizendium's editor-in-chief, Sanger commented in late October 2007 about its first anniversary, from its initial private launch date of October 30, 2006.[42][93] Citizendium's readers, he said, have only just begun to see the power of the project's model:[94]

Quote:
I think we absolutely need another wiki—first of all, simply because Wikipedia lacks credibility, unfortunately. It's a good starting place, as people say—on some subjects anyway—but it isn't really what we want out of a reliable reference resource. And frankly, I don't think that the Wikipedia community is prepared to make the changes that I think need to be made in order to transform Wikipedia into something that's really reliable.[98]

Citizendium is wiki-based, and several aspects set it apart from Wikipedia.[99][100][101] Prospective contributors on Citizendium are required to sign in using real names.[102][103] Users of Wikipedia may contribute anonymously, or create a username. This username does not necessarily have a connection with their real name.[104][105] Experts in their field of expertise have a role in the Citizendium community to approve articles on the basis of accuracy.[87] The Good Article and the Featured Article systems on Wikipedia employs a review by editors.[106] Wikipedia is perceived to promote consensus and not truth[107] and verifiability is the inclusion criteria – reporting on what other sources have to say.[108] Citizendium experts have the final say for article content[81][109] and it is not necessary to cite a source for a content decision on Citizendium.[110] Citizendium attempts to prevent future wiki-vandalism in the tradition of Stephen Colbert.[92]
post #82 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The Mac platform prior to the launch of the App Store was a "garbage user experience". But now that the steps toward curation of the platform have begun, Apple fans will get exactly the type of experience they've been celebrating with iOS.

That will never happen with Macs.

Yes, I agree that Apple may begin to make computers that are more similar and restrictive as iOS devices, but that's not a negative for most people... it would enable more people to be less afraid of their computers.

What I disagree with is that this will be only types of computers Apple is going to produce. They will have to keep an open platform for development purposes. You couldn't have 300,000+ apps in the AppStore without a system for developing those apps. And you can't have a true development environment without an open system to develop on.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #83 of 127
You cannot compare 1 million Playbooks PRODUCED with 1 million iPads SOLD. Those are unrelated statistics. Just because you can build it doesn't mean you can sell it.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #84 of 127
The App Store is necessary for the sake of choice and freedom. I like my freedom!

Many people talk as though curated content has only downsides, no benefits, and that’s dishonest. It has different benefits. And frankly, ones that are useful to a LOT more people a LOT more of the time than the benefits of the wild west approach.

BOTH kinds of platforms should exist:

1. Wild west at-your-own-risk hobbyist platforms where people do crazy cool things that crash and steal your personal details and bury you in a sea of ads and bad interfaces, while being “good enough” to stimulate competition and innovation from everyone. (This would be Android... except Android is more open to the carrier’s whim, not as much to the average user’s needs. Still, Android’s a great start!)

2. Well-managed platforms that work better and offer a higher quality experience, while still allowing 99% of the same crazy cool innovative stuff... and sometimes, the tools to do even more. And which are the R&D departments for the other platforms that copy them! (Don’t like the existence of iOS? If it didn’t exist, neither would Android as we know it, and the other iPhone clones.)

Proponents of the “freedom” and “open” buzzwords seem bent on taking away option #2. But #2 is a flat-out GREAT option that many people (even me) love using.

Please don’t take that option away in the name of “freedom.”

The “danger” of the App Store (and its imitators) would be if that prevented people from a) buying some other platform they prefer or b) making iOS web apps without limits. But a) and b) are not threatened at all. They may turn out to be the less common common choices people make, but that’s because people’s goals aren’t all the same.

More people want manual transmission than want to mod/fix their own engines. It doesn’t mean either option is going away entirely. It means the most-useful option to the most people will be the most used... which seems pretty obvious and good to me
post #85 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

We have nowhere to go. Its not just Apple.

Four years ago, before the iPhone.... did you have more choices or less?
post #86 of 127
Microsoft, quite in line with their tendency to follow the innovator(s), also hinted at the possibility of a Windows app store similar to Apple's model.

So then what?

As for the Mac experience being whatever it was before the Mac App Store, it was perfectly fine. Not having an app store and having users hunt down what they wanted around the net was just fine, if not inconvenient. With the Mac App Store, Apple is simply extending a wildly successful distribution system to the Mac. Perfectly natural.

Don't like it? Then don't open your walle . . . oh wait, you just did.

The verdict is in. Consumers want more Apple gear and the ecosystem that goes with it. End of story. Time to live with it or get a Dell (only to live with a similar Windows app store in due course!)

Cheers.
post #87 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s been stated as such. The PlayBook looks to be much more appealing in many ways so I expect it to fly past the Tab. It also shows that conumers now want tablets and 7” tablets at that… even if they are pretty shitty.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...d_at_600k.html

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...es_hit_1M_mark PS: I have a feeling many of these Tab owners have buyer’s remorse, much like netbook owners.

Of course I've seen the same reports.

I don't know what they mean, that's all. Indeed, I don't buy it (no pun intented) - I find it odd that there's no mention of it on Samsung's website.
post #88 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by niji View Post

I also dont get Jimmy Wales point either, at least as far as is quoted in this article.

but, what it might be equivalent to is this:

a private app store is equivalent to a new shopping mall in the suburbs in the early 70's, drawing shoppers away from the city.

shopping malls drew people away from a more spread out, and therefore more equalized economy.
shopping malls centralised people away from a more broad based shopping pattern and concentrated the purchasing power into the hands of the mall tenants.

it is a interesting comparison that could be made with the apple app store. iTunes store accounts for how much of all music purchased in the USA? same could happen to apps as well. fewer traffic to smaller independent software houses.

I don't buy the analogy. Most independent (and for that matter, even the chain) software physical retailers have gone out of business. Even when they were in business, most didn't feature very much Mac software. From a distribution standpoint for physical product, Ingram Micro-D is the largest distributor of software in the U.S. and there really aren't any other major players.

In the online world, you can buy product from online sites from the manufacturers themselves, from sites like MacMall and from the big ecommerce vendors like Amazon, et al. So Apple becomes one more place where software publishers can elect to distribute their software or not. The presence of Apple's store might take a little business away from the other major outlets, but that's what competition is about. I don't see Apple in the role of Wal-Mart and other sellers as the poor business owner on Main Street.

So I don't see the Apple store as dangerous at all (except perhaps to other major online stores). If however, Apple said that in order to distribute in the App store, it needed to be exclusive, then I would have a big problem. Or if Apple decided that all Mac apps had to be sold through the store. Either of those two things would be "dangerous". But I can't see Apple being dumb enough to even attempt to go there.

I think the App store is going to benefit small developers and publishers the most. These are the businesses who can't get their products sold via other distribution channels. I really don't need the App store to buy an Adobe or Microsoft product.

Another poster stated that they thought Apple shouldn't limit anything and any app should be able to be sold in the app store. I think just the opposite: I think that both in the App store and in the iPad/iPhone store, there is far too much garbage. Good retailers (think of a good classic bookstore) don't carry everything. They pick and choose and curate the best products for their customers. People will bitch and moan and claim discrimination, etc., but that's what I think Apple should be doing. Having 100,000 apps in the store does me no good if I can't easily find the best app for my given purpose. If I'm looking for a non-linear video editor, I don't want to see every video editor from companies I've never heard of (unless there's a review from someone I trust), I want to see the five best video editors. And I don't want to see the equivalent of 50 different iFart applications.

And by the way, for all the people who complain that Apple's 30% cut is too much, when you sell to a major physical retail distributor, you sell for 48% to 60% off of list.
post #89 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s been stated as such. The PlayBook looks to be much more appealing in many ways so I expect it to fly past the Tab. It also shows that conumers now want tablets and 7” tablets at that… even if they are pretty shitty. ...

Seven-inch tablet owners will end up with buyers remorse and iPad envy. Let's review the applications suited to 7 and 10 inch tablets

* UI Interaction
- 7" either elements, like buttons, are so small they are difficult to manipulate, or they take up a large percentage of screen space in service of usability.
- 10" adequate room for properly sized UI elements that leave plenty of room for content and are easily manipulated.

* eReading
- 7" excellent, especially when holding the tablet in one hand, unsupported, for hours on end.
- 10" excellent, except perhaps when holding the tablet in one hand, unsupported, for hours on end.

* Web browsing
- 7" really not much better than a smartphone, text too small to read without a lot of zooming, and the necessary panning as a result of zooming.
- 10" works great

* Document editing
- 7" cramped, barely enough room for (tiny) keyboard and viewing content. Spreadsheets even worse.
- 10" room for full size keyboard and still room to view document. Spreadsheets not as good as large desktop monitor, but useable.

* Media viewing
7" slightly better than a smartphone
10" close to as good as a laptop.

* Portability
7" doesn't fit comfortably into normal pockets, so some sort of bag required to carry
10" doesn't fit comfortably into normal pockets, so some sort of bag required to carry

* Gaming
7" slightly better than a smartphone, but not much. a little more screen real estate, but loses the ability for users to comfortably interact with in the manner of a smartphone.
10" large enough to allow for a unique gaming experience.


The list of comparisons could go on and on, and the 7" tablet is always on the short end of the stick. It's a bastard child of a smartphone that gains few if any of the advantages of the 10" form factor. These tiny "tablets" will be nice for some as eReaders, but a Kindle would be cheaper, and just as useful.
post #90 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

Well I'm pretty sure it's illegal what Apple practices, but because the governments are so damn corporate-friendly they led this slide.

When you buy Apple's product then it's your product, you give money in exchange for an iPhone, that makes it your device which you can do whatever you want with it. Having it locked from Apple so you can't install 3rd party programs from 3rd party venues is illegal because Apple is restricting you from using your device however you want.

That's like buying a PC from HP and you would only be able to install programs from an HP virtual store. Apple goes even further, it won't allow a program unless it's been approved by them.. hellooo? Doesn't anyone see how illegal this is???

The fact that they demand a premium price for the device isn't enough, they need to get a share of the revenues from applications which are programmed by third parties which Apple had no investment whatsoever. They are making money off of enslaved developers and the only ones profiting off of apps is mostly Apple. That's 21st century slavery!

If this doesn't smell like an international class-action lawsuit then i don't know what is.

You do know that you have to sign a license agreement that restricts what you can do with Windows, right? Also, when you buy an X-box, you can't use just any game. You can use games developed only for the X-box platform. Also, you can't just use any hard drive for the X-box. There's a particular kind of hard drive that you have to use.

Hypocrisy and double-standards make me very angry. What I'm finding here is that everybody cries foul when Apple engages in a perfectly legitimate behavior and if any other company were to engage in that same behavior, people just look the other way.

I don't see how anything that Apple is doing is illegal. It's called business. Businesses are supposed to make money. Apple is not forcing you to use their product. Vote with your wallets and don't buy an Apple product. Just as you have the right to spend your money however you want, Apple has the right to do what it wants with products that it spent hard cash on developing.
post #91 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

Is Steve Jobs spooning you right now? Here is an idea, Freedom of Choice! Allow third party OTA installations without asking for Papa's permission, warn the user of the danger but let the user choose! Its a mobile computing platform just like a Apple Macintosh not a toaster.

It always amazes me how paranoid, unhappy frustrated people think we are drinking apple kool-aid or "are being spoon fed by jobs" because we dont mind or agree with the business model or conditions tied to using the product we chose or prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

So I dont buy it? I'll go to google where I have more installation freedom but they will mine all my personal data to exploit me in the future. Maybe I'll check out WP7, ohh wait they are doing both.

exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

God your the customer, pretend for once like your in the drivers seat, looking after your own self interest and demanding progress instead of running PR for Apple.

I'm not only in the driver's seat, I even have the freedom to get out of the car and walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

Its up to us to mold the construct of how the corporation behaves in our society, its the dog and has its purpose but we are supposed to be the handler!

MORE POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

I dont buy something when I dont like the conditions, dont complain about the company exploiting me
I change the tv channel when I dont like the show, dont complain about content.
I change the radio channel on talk shows when people like you call up to cry about how exploited they are by the evil corporations
post #92 of 127
Maybe I should bitch that I can't play PS3 games on my 360? Or I can't play PC games on my PS3? Or put diseal fuel in my unleaded gas car? I mean really? where does all this crap come from? Maybe I should bitch I can't run android specific apps on my iOS? I mean really, this utter nonsense.
post #93 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

You do know that you have to sign a license agreement that restricts what you can do with Windows, right? Also, when you buy an X-box, you can't use just any game. You can use games developed only for the X-box platform. Also, you can't just use any hard drive for the X-box. There's a particular kind of hard drive that you have to use.

Hypocrisy and double-standards make me very angry. What I'm finding here is that everybody cries foul when Apple engages in a perfectly legitimate behavior and if any other company were to engage in that same behavior, people just look the other way.

I don't see how anything that Apple is doing is illegal. It's called business. Businesses are supposed to make money. Apple is not forcing you to use their product. Vote with your wallets and don't buy an Apple product. Just as you have the right to spend your money however you want, Apple has the right to do what it wants with products that it spent hard cash on developing.

I honestly believe that jealousy has so much to do with the reason people like to pick on Apple.
post #94 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

And apparently the co-founder of wikipedia (the philosopher not the one selling porn via their website, that's Jimbo Wales) agrees on the sad state of affairs at wikipedia:

His staements sound conradictory. What he is saying about Wikipedia's downfall is what he really wants with the iOS app store but he doesnt realize it. The iOS app store in its enclosed structure insures that apps are of decent quality and work and don't mislead people and don't rip people off. They he describes wikipedia today is that akin to androids market.
post #95 of 127
We are Mac users. We laugh at danger. We live without virus protection. We do not need no stinking protection from the App Store.

When Apple goofs up, I'll stop buying their products. You know like I did with PCs, years ago.
post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A1181 View Post

Maybe it was a child under five with a PhD who contributed the fact "that frank discussion of necrophilia in their hit "Wake Up, Little Susie," led them to receive the nickname "fraternal godfathers of heavy metal.""

There's nothing I like better than a frank discussion of necrophilia, so I appreciate the fact that Wikipedia called this to my attention in their article on the Everly Brothers.

I am a 50's gen person and I remember and enjoy the song "Wake Up, Little Susie".

I don't remember frank discussions of anything sexual by anyone in that era -- not to mention necrophilia.

Those were the days when a man and a woman couldn't kiss on TV.

So I checked your assertion about wiki -- you are correct.

Here are the lyrics -- that's a pretty esoteric discussion of necrophilia, IMO:

Quote:
Wake up little Suzie, wake up
Wake up little Suzie, wake up

We've both been sound asleep
Wake up little Suzie and weep
The movie's over, it's four o'clock
And we're in trouble deep
Wake up little Suzie, wake up little Suzie

Well, what are we gonna tell your mama
What are we gonna tell your pa
What are we gonna tell our friends when they say ooh-la-la
Wake up little Suzie, wake up little Suzie

Well, I told your mama that you'd be in by ten
Well, Suzie baby, looks like we goofed again
Wake up little Suzie, wake up little Suzie
We gotta go home

Wake up little Suzie, wake up!
Wake up little Suzie, wake up!

The movie wasn't so hot
It didn't have much of a plot
We fell asleep, our goose is cooked
Our reputation is shot
Wake up little Suzie, wake up little Suzie

Well, what are we gonna tell your mama
What are we gonna tell your pa
What are we gonna tell our friends when they say ooh-la-la
Wake up little Suzie, wake up little Suzie
Wake up little Suzie


BTW, it is about a couple who fell asleep in a drive-in movie (not too many of those, anymore).
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #97 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...Here are the lyrics -- that's a pretty esoteric cussion of necrophilia, IMO:

[...]


BTW, it is about a couple who fell asleep in a drive-in movie (not too many of those, anymore).

Well, yes, but it's about necrophilia if you play it backwards.
post #98 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

BlackBerry doesn't have as many cult members, thus won't sell as many tablets.

What on Earth are you talking about? BlackBerry was the *original* smartphone and has, or had, a huge cult following. The name CrackBerry came about for a reason!

If that's changed recently, that can only be blamed on RIM's neglect. (Their mobile browser has historically been abysmal, just as one example.)

The reality is that you can only ride your coattails so long before you go the way of Palm, etc. And I think that's where they are headed if they don't figure out a way to kickstart their platform, and soon.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #99 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

Well I'm pretty sure it's illegal what Apple practices, but because the governments are so damn corporate-friendly they led this slide.

When you buy Apple's product then it's your product, you give money in exchange for an iPhone, that makes it your device which you can do whatever you want with it. Having it locked from Apple so you can't install 3rd party programs from 3rd party venues is illegal because Apple is restricting you from using your device however you want.

That's like buying a PC from HP and you would only be able to install programs from an HP virtual store. Apple goes even further, it won't allow a program unless it's been approved by them.. hellooo? Doesn't anyone see how illegal this is???

The fact that they demand a premium price for the device isn't enough, they need to get a share of the revenues from applications which are programmed by third parties which Apple had no investment whatsoever. They are making money off of enslaved developers and the only ones profiting off of apps is mostly Apple. That's 21st century slavery!

If this doesn't smell like an international class-action lawsuit then i don't know what is.

You are right... you don't know!

How many businesses have you owned or run?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #100 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

Wiki has moderators that monitor the content that is posted onto Wikipedia. This is exactly the same thing that Apple does with the Apps. Both of them are moderating and filtering what the consumers see. Based on what Wikipedia does, not what he says, Wikipedia believes that the internet needs moderation from people who want to post inaccurate information and/or spam. I find what he says to be incredibly hypocritical based on the policies enforced at Wikipedia.

Excellent point! Best post on this thread subtopic!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #101 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Is this guy high?

No, he's brilliant. In the way that making any kind of statement that criticizes Apple will gain him HUGE press coverage and generate a significant spike in traffic to Wikipedia, where maybe a few will make contributions.

Whether he actually believes it or not is irrelevant, he's making the statement for traffic.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #102 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Excellent point! Best post on this thread subtopic!

Actually the situation is far worse for wikipedia, because there the moderators are self appointed, unpaid, and do not have to declare conflicting interests in their editing/moderating of content, while app store apple employees are constantly being evaluated on how well they do their job, they are paid employees (and thus professionals and not "hobbyists"), and have to have their interests clearly aligned towards, the quality, integrity and user experience of the app store.
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Yes I think it's ridiculous how many PhDs are contributing. Wales must make it possible for illiterate people, people in comas and children under the age of five to contribute as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Jimmy Wales is on crack these days. How does increasing the diversity of contributors to Wikipedia make it more accurate, which is the only thing that should matter about it?

I think his elephant in this room is not PhD's (tho' many are stuck in the rarified atmosphere of academia and lack of interaction with "the folks"), rather the relative lack of input by the 53% of the pop which is female.

However, that's NOT because there's any "pink ceiling" on WikiP, and even I, with my mere Masters' have found myself free to post. As is anyone. So get on it, gals if you want more "womyn's input in our digital herstory."

On the other hand, people on missions (like Wales) often get caught up in their own bubbles of righteousness. So there is some unintended hilarity in his sound-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I don't. They are probably saying 1 million, because the cost is going to be higher than that of the iPad or the Android competition.
Everything I have read sounds like they are going to target executive customers and this just adds another nail into that coffin.

A lot of what I've read said there's a surprising focus on social networking and media software - features generally targeted at consumers and sometimes loathed by employers who don't want to be paying folks to play Farmville and watch stupid pet (or Lindsay Lohan) tricks.

It's also totally a break with all RIM software to date - since their own attempts at touch smart phones have not been quite up to snuff - and was developed out of house by I think Qnx (sp?)(?) - so no guarantee there'll be mass migration by their own base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

I agree with wikipedia founder 100%, the App Store is dangerous because it's the only place one can legitimately download a program on their "pocket" computer. We would be outraged if the PC at home would have the same practice, so why doesn't that apply to our small "pocket" computer from Apple?

I'm not against Apple's App Store, I just think it shouldn't be the only place where we can install a program in the iPhone.

I would go as far as say that it's unlawful what Apple is practicing and should be respectively punished just like Microsoft was punished in the EU for their practices with the internet browser.

dunno about unlawful, but the EU does have a very socialist view of law, so could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

If desktop computers end up with locked down app stores then he would have a point but there is no sign of that happening. I happen to think the model suits devices like the iPhone and xbox/ps3 because they are dedicated devices not general purpose computers, and we don't want to end up running anti-virus/spyware software on them.

If you don't recognize that mobile devices are the next gen of "general purpose computers" for most people, you're not paying attention. I already know many folks for whom their phone IS their only computer, and that trend's only gonna increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I appreciate the App Store because I like the idea of apps being filtered and moderated to a certain extent. Just look at the mess that the "open Internet" has created for desktop operating systems in the last 30 years... it's a mess. The App Store is a clean, vetted source of apps, quality or otherwise. At least I know I won't have to wade through crap masquerading as legitimate products, like all of those "camera and printer driver" websites out there.

A little review reading leaves me with few problems in choosing quality apps from various download sites. If the Mac app store remains open, no prob. If they ever try to make it the only source, I'm decidedly not down.

And if Apple can be a little relaxed about not stomping on jailbreakers, guess I can live with the iOS version too. But in my opinion they'll suffer if they don't eventually cut the tether to wired access via iTunes, again because many pocket computer users aren't even going to own a PC to wire into.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #104 of 127
"Internet freedom"??? WTF does that even mean?
Does Jimmy think app stores like Xbox Live Marketplace and Amazon Kindle stores should not be curated?
Should Walmart.com and Buy.com not be curated?
And while we're at it, why can't I purchase a hydrogen bomb from Wal-Mart? I'm a tax paying American and I have the right to bear arms! Like Jimmy, I want my "Internet Freedom"!

What Jimmy fails to understand is that you do own the device, but you don't own the service. He objects to curated app store services on the grounds that "we own the device". Huh? That's like saying, I own my PC, therefore, Walmart.com has no right to curate what they offer for sale on their online store.

Jimmy should pull his head out of his ass once in a while.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #105 of 127
deleted
post #106 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

We are Mac users. We laugh at danger. We live without virus protection. We do not need no stinking protection from the App Store.

We have the strength of tens because our hearts are pure!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #107 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I think his elephant in this room is not PhD's (tho' many are stuck in the rarified atmosphere of academia and lack of interaction with "the folks"), rather the relative lack of input by the 53% of the pop which is female.

However, that's NOT because there's any "pink ceiling" on WikiP, and even I, with my mere Masters' have found myself free to post. As is anyone. So get on it, gals if you want more "womyn's input in our digital herstory."

Yeah, well women are a tad more emotionally mature than 26 year old geek males, to know better not to get involved in food fights, turf wars, and petty squabbling of wikipedia "editors" out to dominate their respective articles with their view points. It's not because women don't get it that they don't contribute to the mess that is wikipedia, it's because they do.
post #108 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

Well I'm pretty sure it's illegal what Apple practices, but because the governments are so damn corporate-friendly they led this slide.

When you buy Apple's product then it's your product, you give money in exchange for an iPhone, that makes it your device which you can do whatever you want with it. Having it locked from Apple so you can't install 3rd party programs from 3rd party venues is illegal because Apple is restricting you from using your device however you want.

That's like buying a PC from HP and you would only be able to install programs from an HP virtual store. Apple goes even further, it won't allow a program unless it's been approved by them.. hellooo? Doesn't anyone see how illegal this is???

The fact that they demand a premium price for the device isn't enough, they need to get a share of the revenues from applications which are programmed by third parties which Apple had no investment whatsoever. They are making money off of enslaved developers and the only ones profiting off of apps is mostly Apple. That's 21st century slavery!

If this doesn't smell like an international class-action lawsuit then i don't know what is.

You mean like buying a PS3 and only being allowed to install PS3 licensed software? Or Buying a PS2 and only allowed to install PS2 licensed software? Or buying an XBox and only being able to use XBox licensed software? Or buying a a Tivo and only being allowed to use the Tivo software? Or buying a Dreamcast and only being allowed to use Sega licensed software? In every case every one of those licenses are getting a 15-30% retail cut subtracted from the developers wholesale price!!! (Except Tivo where everyone else is just plain prohibited from playing.) But not contributing anything else other than the permission to run on the box. At least Apple is providing the whole distribution channel on only 30% from retail which is at least double the percentage return any of the above vendors could hope for.

Your example and logic are totally misguided. The concept is called a vertical market, and as long as the vertical market maker is not doing certain illegal tactics to prevent other vertical markets from operating in the same area it is all quite explicitly legal. The fact Android is successful and shipping about the same number of phones market-wide illustrates Apple hasn't illegally controlled the horizontal market via lockout with their vertical iOS market.

Go find a bit more sophisticated economic model to replace your purely ideological one.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #109 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, yes, but it's about necrophilia if you play it backwards.

.... Isn't that sodomy?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

.... Isn't that sodomy?

That depends on the laws in your state.
post #111 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The Wikipedia page for that song says nothing of the sort:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Up_Little_Susie

If you're hellbent on FUDding Wikipedia there are far more plausible examples you could write.

Actually, you should check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Everly_Brothers


Quote:
Everly's treatment of dark themes, such as the frank discussion of necrophilia in their hit "Wake Up, Little Susie," led them to receive the nickname "fraternal godfathers of heavy metal."[15]
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #112 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That depends on the laws in your state.

I am in California...

We don't have [enforced] laws...

We have regulations...

Anything goes -- that is approved by the self-appointed moderators of the public good.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #113 of 127
OK bigmouth - which law is it that Apple is breaking? You're so confident it is illegal, then which statute number have they broken??

Referring to lav1daloca btw
post #114 of 127


Full article:

The Web Is Dead. Long Live the Internet

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/08/ff_webrip/all/1

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #115 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah, well women are a tad more emotionally mature than 26 year old geek males, to know better not to get involved in food fights, turf wars, and petty squabbling of wikipedia "editors" out to dominate their respective articles with their view points. It's not because women don't get it that they don't contribute to the mess that is wikipedia, it's because they do.

None of my edits have ever been contested and no food fights either.

This happens mostly when the subject is living famous people, politics or religion, not when it's on historical or technical topics. Wikipedia is vast and the last independent study I saw said it's on the whole as accurate or more accurate than any comparable source.

So not that I doubt there's plenty of web-office politics in an enterprise of this scope -based on high-sounding principles, but run by mere hairless apes, but I call "red herring" on your take that "women know better" than to contribute to the largest single repository of info on the planet because of process issues.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #116 of 127
This Jimmy Wales story is very bizarre. First the original iPhone didn't have any apps and Jobs tells developers to use open web standards to build apps on the web. He gets roundly attacked by the usual suspects. Bowing to pressure Apple develops an SDK and opens up to apps. But the whole thing is a new experience and Apple aren't sure what's going to happen so the decide to invigilate this app store in case things get out of hand and give the end-user a bad experience. Then Apple gets attacked for not letting in chaos, oops, because they're not open. Now Wales attacks Apple for putting an "app chokepoint" on the web which may well damage the open web. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Then Wales says that Net Neutrality isn't that big an issue because its mostly a theoretical worry and not it's not a current reality. Hang on, didn't he just criticise Apple because their App Store policy MIGHT cause problems for the future web? Isn't that the same argument as the "theoretical worry" about the effect of the change to Net Neutrality?
post #117 of 127
deleted
post #118 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Perhaps there will be a cheaper, non-camera enabled version of the iPad, hence the three versions?

I could see that. They could leave the 16gb wifi as is for kids, schools, businesses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeAppel View Post

It's about to get even worse- Apple has told newspaper and magazine publishers that all subscriptions have to be sold through the App Store.

ALLEGEDLY

No one has produced anything to document these claims.

As for the whole Playbook thing. It doesn't matter how many they produce. What matters is how many they sell. And we shall see if they see 1 million is year, much less quarter or month

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #119 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The Web Is Dead. Long Live the Internet

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Jimmy has invested his life in a website, so the rise of non-web based Internet platforms is a threat to him.
post #120 of 127
Wikipedia is often great for a first look to get an overview of the establishment point of view. Obviously there are conflicting viewpoints on many matters and how those are treated frames the picture. As usual anything that conflicts with the bankers point of view in a serious way gets removed or overwhelmed such as the global warming issue, opposing voices get erased. Not completely though, just enough remains to give the semblance of neutrality, independence and so it ends up as controlled opposition.

The only way to guarantee winning is to control both sides.

It is clear why Wales would attack Apple, think different, oops, can't have that!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: 1M BlackBerry PlayBooks, Wikipedia founder calls App Store "dangerous," more evidence for iPad 2 cameras