or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Mounted Time Machine Drive is Frowning at Me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mounted Time Machine Drive is Frowning at Me

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
This has to be the strangest thing I've ever seen with my Mac. My Time machine drive (LaCie 1TB external HDD) is connected via Firewire 800 on my 2010 15" MBP. Last night I came home from work and saw that the name of the mounted drive has been changed to the following symbols:

;|

It looks like it is winking and frowning at me. \

The first thing I thought was that maybe Snow Leopard was trying to tell me something so I ran Disk Repair on it and it found nothing. So I went into Get Info and renamed it back to "Mac Backup". (I honestly can't remember what it was named before).

But anyone know why or how a mounted drive's name could be changed to that? No one else has access to it and it is password protected.
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It looks like it is winking and frowning at me. \

If you backup porn, Apple makes it frown but the wink is because they know everyone does it.

Those characters are close together, so it looks like someone might have hit the keyboard when it was mounted. You don't have a cat or something that might have stepped on the keyboard when you were out?
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you backup porn, Apple makes it frown but the wink is because they know everyone does it.

Those characters are close together, so it looks like someone might have hit the keyboard when it was mounted. You don't have a cat or something that might have stepped on the keyboard when you were out?

Nope, no pets. But are you saying that as it is being mounted, if something (me?) hits the keyboard, the name could change? I thought the only way to change the drive name was in "Get Info".
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Nope, no pets. But are you saying that as it is being mounted, if something (me?) hits the keyboard, the name could change? I thought the only way to change the drive name was in "Get Info".

If you have the Finder open with a window on the computer view, hitting return or even clicking on it a certain way allows you to rename a drive - if you use tap to click on the trackpad, that might have started the selection. If you get a sleeve in the way or rest something on the keyboard, it can happen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Mounted Time Machine Drive is Frowning at Me