or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Consumer Reports offers scathing critique on Verizon iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Consumer Reports offers scathing critique on Verizon iPhone 4 - Page 2

post #41 of 166
CR should confine their opinions to actual tests from their labs. Leave the BS to others. Unless of course you are now a subsidiary of Google, then let us know and have at it.
jgb
Reply
jgb
Reply
post #42 of 166
I don't see this as scathing. All they said is that the phone is half way through it's life-cycle. I think Apple really should discount the phone for early adopters of the CDMA Iphone....since a new Iphone is right around the corner.
post #43 of 166
CR trolling apple is getting old. CR released their video against iPhone 4 without scientific evidence, probably because they knew they would get a lot of eyeballs from poor sods who didn't know any better.

Now with this report, their intentions are quite clear. They only want eyeballs, and controversy is the best way to drum those eyeballs up.

Too bad, I really used to like CR, but this kind of reporting really strains my perseption of them as a quality resource for product opinions.
post #44 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

Do people really care what Consumer Report says about phones anymore?

I haven't seen anyone read a CR in a long, long time.
post #45 of 166
Consumer Reports = clueless bafooons.
post #46 of 166
Has Consumer Reports hired high school kids to write reviews now? Because their whole review is about a product that isn't even released yet and Apple hasn't officially announced a release date for the iPhone 5.
post #47 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Something strange is going on over at CR. They seem to have a bug up their a** over the iPhone. Someone earlier suggested that they didn't get the "donation" they hoped for from Apple. It sure seems like their could be something to that.

Either that or they just bought stock in ATT.
post #48 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Jun 2007: iPhone
Jul 2008: iPhone 3G
Jun 2009: iPhone 3GS (speed bump, same form factor)
Jun 2010: iPhone 4
Jun 2011: iPhone 4S (speed bump, same form factor)
Jun 2012: iPhone 5

The original iPhone and 3G share hardware, the 3GS is completely different hardware although it shares a form factor with the 3G. I would not speculate to what apple does model wise until they actually do it.
post #49 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I haven't seen anyone read a CR in a long, long time.

I have a copy on the back of my toilet...I've use pages 1 thru 14 so far this month.
post #50 of 166
the sad reality is that it appears Consumer Reports has become like a lot of television talk shows: a lot more helping friends and attacking enemies, rather than reporting on reality. very strange, and they have lost total credibility with this one, from my point of view. some big ego individuals have a beef with Apple and they are out to try to slow down the incredible momentum Apple has going into February... of course, they will fail again, but from a business point of view, Consumer Reports is making a big mistake in terms of their own relationship with their users... i guess all dinosaurs die hard...
post #51 of 166
I'm with Vz currently, my contract is up and I'm fed up with my BB Storm. I currently own a 1rst gen Itouch, and absolutely love it. I plan on buying an Iphone for VZ, it's really just a matter of when.

I just read the CR report, and it reflects my thoughts fairly closely. I also read this http://gizmodo.com/5729273/dont-buy-...rizon-iphone-4 It's not just CR weighing in on this decision for VZ customers.

It amazes me that people, even here, deny the antenna issue. CR didn't design or build the Iphone. All they did is confirm reported design issues. Btw, interesting article on how that might be fixed with the VZ device http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=15

The real problem I see here is lack of information from Apple. If the consumer knew when Apple thinks the 4g version will be available, or if VZ will get an updated version in June, we would be able to make a more informed decision. Not telling us, to ramp up sales in the next month or two, is far worse than CR's review. Apple and VZ are both suspect to me right now.

I understand there are competitive concerns here, I also understand that any release schedule would be conjecture. Right now, CR (and others) are providing information to help my decision, Apple and VZ are not.

As to dropping CR subs, because they dare to criticize an Apple product, that's your loss. I use the information from CR on almost any purchase I make over $100. It's not the only reference, but it certainly helps. It easily saves me the yearly sub fee. Heck, it was part of the reason I bought an Imac for my wife and a Mac mini for my son.
post #52 of 166
You're right in many ways, Daniel, but your aggressive tone cuts straight to the chase and misses out much of the exposition. Don't you think you should give yourself a little exposition time before you go for balls-to-the-wall rant?
post #53 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

I have a copy on the back of my toilet...I've use pages 1 thru 14 so far this month.

totally agree... what losers...
post #54 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

Do people really care what Consumer Report says about phones anymore?


Never did.
post #55 of 166
This article is a scathing critique of CR's scathing critique.
post #56 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't see this as scathing. All they said is that the phone is half way through it's life-cycle. I think Apple really should discount the phone for early adopters of the CDMA Iphone....since a new Iphone is right around the corner.

I wasn't. It was straight-forward and factual, which I think is the problem many around here seem to have with it.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #57 of 166
Why do articles like this start somewhat reasonable, but towards the middle and end get complete and utterly biased with no backbone other than subjective data?

EDIT:
Please fix your charts again:
Droid Incredible doesn't have 16-bit screen, or a physical keyboard
Droid 2 Global has a 1.2GHz TI OMAP processor, has 8GB flash, 8GB SD
Droid X has 8GB flash, 16GB SD. Total 24GB
post #58 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGator View Post

I'm with Vz currently, my contract is up and I'm fed up with my BB Storm. I currently own a 1rst gen Itouch, and absolutely love it. I plan on buying an Iphone for VZ, it's really just a matter of when.

I just read the CR report, and it reflects my thoughts fairly closely. I also read this http://gizmodo.com/5729273/dont-buy-...rizon-iphone-4 It's not just CR weighing in on this decision for VZ customers.

It amazes me that people, even here, deny the antenna issue. CR didn't design or build the Iphone. All they did is confirm reported design issues. Btw, interesting article on how that might be fixed with the VZ device http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=15

The real problem I see here is lack of information from Apple. If the consumer knew when Apple thinks the 4g version will be available, or if VZ will get an updated version in June, we would be able to make a more informed decision. Not telling us, to ramp up sales in the next month or two, is far worse than CR's review. Apple and VZ are both suspect to me right now.

I understand there are competitive concerns here, I also understand that any release schedule would be conjecture. Right now, CR (and others) are providing information to help my decision, Apple and VZ are not.

As to dropping CR subs, because they dare to criticize an Apple product, that's your loss. I use the information from CR on almost any purchase I make over $100. It's not the only reference, but it certainly helps. It easily saves me the yearly sub fee. Heck, it was part of the reason I bought an Imac for my wife and a Mac mini for my son.

What, seriously? Have you used an iPhone 4? I have one, and I have tried every single Kung-Fu, Death Grip, Vulcan Pinch that I could come up with, and nothing. I had an old iPhone 3G, and I managed to make it happen on that. I then decided to try it out on my boss's Droid, and low-and-behold, I got the same antenna issue.

I think that the whole Antenna issue may have been a first-run batch, or just slightly defective batch of iP4s out there. I am not saying that it isn't a problem with some, I just don't think it is as wide-spread as they like to say.

Also, if you like CR, that is fine. Their technology department is most of the time, just off base.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
post #59 of 166
Anybody who is basing their opinion of CR on Daniel's article without reading the actual CR blog entry is being SERIOUSLY misled by Daniel about what CR said.

First, it was a blog post, not an actual CR review or rating. Blogs are typically a little less formal and a bit more brash than other articles. Second, while yes I think the blog post was a bit more negative than I would have written it, it was no where near as vitriol filled as Daniel made it sound. I'm beginning to think that CR shot Daniel's dog or something. And finally, every fact in the CR blog post is true. Undisputably.

Do I disagree with CR's opinions and conclusions? Sure. But Daniel has apparently taken personal offense and has taken his lack of objectivity in his writting to a new low. He gives the worst of the anti-Apple, pro-MS PC journalists a run for their money.

post #60 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

I have a copy on the back of my toilet...I've use pages 1 thru 14 so far this month.

This just in: CR's latest issue critiques iPhone - some users experiencing nasty rash others report panties in a bunch.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #61 of 166
Why do people care what these or any reports/blogs say? Do you like your iPhone? Is it the best phone you've ever had? Then who cares what people say/write about it?
post #62 of 166
Some of the language used by CR sounds just like what comes out of the mouths of my fandroid friends. The same ole song & dance. The screen is only 3.5 inches, it's not AMOLED, blah blah. 3G only blah blah. Really? You'll believe that if you think a phone is nothing more than the sum of its specs, which is the case for most commodity smartphones from Samsung, Moto, LG, HTC. Objective? They were only looking at how empty the glass is.

FAIL.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #63 of 166
So they are recommending to someone who needs a phone now to wait 6+ months to buy a new model right when it comes out? I think that Apple will keep the CDMA release cycle consistent, but even if they don't worse case you are on a three year old phone when it is time to replace. That means that you would be replacing an iPhone 3G in a few months. I kinda doubt I'll use their magazine to help me decide on anything else to buy based on their horrible judgement here.
post #64 of 166
Yes CR is Evil. Everything Apple is flawless. Do you even think about what you are saying? I guess no one should expect anything negative at all to be said about Apple from Apple Insider. This is why I will never support Apple. If I wanted to join a cult I would read Dianetics instead of buying into Apple. You cult Apple folks will go the way of Heaven's Gate soon enough if you can't see the forest from the trees. Apple is crap, that is of course unless you need a product to hold your hand the whole time you use it.

PS: It's not just CR. Take a look at the news over the last few days. No one is raving about the iPhone. Androids and PC's win all day....the non-Apple-net has been screaming it for years.
post #65 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't see this as scathing. All they said is that the phone is half way through it's life-cycle. I think Apple really should discount the phone for early adopters of the CDMA Iphone....since a new Iphone is right around the corner.

You, nor consumer reports know that for certain. iPhone CDMA refreshes may happen every January...

For us to assume it is yearly in the summer is one thing, but for CR to make assumptions in what is supposed to be an objective, factual report is something else.

Sounds more like yellow journalism of a sort. Some people would pay to live in a world where iPhone never existed. There's a market for CR after all. \
post #66 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I wasn't. It was straight-forward and factual, which I think is the problem many around here seem to have with it.

Even if so, it would mean many current recommendations of Android handsets on verizon and sprint are lacking several of those factual, straight forward points.

Its the consistency that is the problem, not the actual words in that blog post.

In a complete vacuum, you are correct. But you have absolutely no perspective when you write that.

If you don't see that, your as biased as the author of this article on AI.
post #67 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahench View Post

Yes CR is Evil. Everything Apple is flawless. Do you even think about what you are saying? I guess no one should expect anything negative at all to be said about Apple from Apple Insider. This is why I will never support Apple. If I wanted to join a cult I would read Dianetics instead of buying into Apple. You cult Apple folks will go the way of Heaven's Gate soon enough if you can't see the forest from the trees. Apple is crap, that is of course unless you need a product to hold your hand the whole time you use it.

Your post had some merit. Until you said "Apple is crap." At that point you were no better than any hardcore Apple fan - only rooting for another team.
post #68 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahench View Post

Yes CR is Evil. Everything Apple is flawless. Do you even think about what you are saying? I guess no one should expect anything negative at all to be said about Apple from Apple Insider. This is why I will never support Apple. If I wanted to join a cult I would read Dianetics instead of buying into Apple. You cult Apple folks will go the way of Heaven's Gate soon enough if you can't see the forest from the trees. Apple is crap, that is of course unless you need a product to hold your hand the whole time you use it.

PS: It's not just CR. Take a look at the news over the last few days. No one is raving about the iPhone. Androids and PC's win all day....the non-Apple-net has been screaming it for years.

And people like you who troll on apple fanboy sites are much more well adjusted?

LOL.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees.
post #69 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhelo View Post

Why do people care what these or any reports/blogs say? Do you like your iPhone? Is it the best phone you've ever had? Then who cares what people say/write about it?

People care about the things they own.

Consumer reports seems to be overly opinionated lately. They are supposed to be rating quality not preferences. It is like consumer reports trashing a car because it is a sports car and they think everyone should drive minivans.
post #70 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Anybody who is basing their opinion of CR on Daniel's article without reading the actual CR blog entry is being SERIOUSLY misled by Daniel about what CR said.

First, it was a blog post, not an actual CR review or rating. Blogs are typically a little less formal and a bit more brash than other articles. Second, while yes I think the blog post was a bit more negative than I would have written it, it was no where near as vitriol filled as Daniel made it sound. I'm beginning to think that CR shot Daniel's dog or something. And finally, every fact in the CR blog post is true. Undisputably.

Do I disagree with CR's opinions and conclusions? Sure. But Daniel has apparently taken personal offense and has taken his lack of objectivity in his writting to a new low. He gives the worst of the anti-Apple, pro-MS PC journalists a run for their money.

QFT. I read the actual article and wondered what the hell AI was talking about.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #71 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Even if so, it would mean many current recommendations of Android handsets on verizon and sprint are lacking several of those factual, straight forward points.

Its the consistency that is the problem, not the actual words in that blog post.

In a complete vacuum, you are correct. But you have absolutely no perspective when you write that.

If you don't see that, your as biased as the author of this article on AI.

So here we have post after post from AI readers who on the one hand claim to never look at CR, but the other seem to know precisely what CR puts in and leaves out of articles they've never seen. I believe I detect a miracle at work. Hallelujah!

I call BS. Because it is.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #72 of 166
God guys, I don't like the term apple fanboy, because I have two mac computers, but the comments from many of you here are akin to a bunch of blinded-by-religious-faith reborn christians talking about the rest of the world like some empire controlled by a satanic force or something.

Just for the record, didn't Consumer Reports NOT give iPhone4 the recommended sign because of the signal issue? So how could that possibly be "the highest ranking for a phone"?

That was a month AFTER I returned mine for the same reason and side-graded to SGS, which I love.

Mark.
post #73 of 166
Clearly, nobody important at Consumer Reports has either had to suffer with dropped calls or (like me) a patent inability to get a decent 3G signal via AT&T. But CR is like the Rock Kenwell of the consumer world, there always seem to be enough people who don't realize they should be wary and questioning of motive, and instead put their full faith in trust in whatever they read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Daniel, your argument would hold more water if your very disposition didn't sound biased to begin with. And I don't mean this story, but every story you write. It's like you have your agenda before you set out to write your "report".

Daniel is a really bright guy, but he certainly didn't take Journalism from the same profs I did! (If he took it at all.)

FWIW, here's his personal website, if you haven't seen it yet.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #74 of 166
Aside from a few niggly spelling errors in your article (it can happen to the best of us), there is some important information that's just plain wrong.


In your comparison tables "Iphone 4 vs. Android," - you report the Droid X, Droid 2 as coming with 512m/8GB when, in fact, these phones as well as the original Droid - come with 512/
16GB.


I think this is a rather important point when comparing phones.

Thanks for letting me post.
WR[/SIZE]
post #75 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So here we have post after post from AI readers who on the one hand claim to never look at CR, but the other seem to know precisely what CR puts in and leaves out of articles they've never seen. I believe I detect a miracle at work. Hallelujah!

I call BS. Because it is.

So here is a really funny perspective, you seem to be under the delusion that AI readers are one entity.

You do realize that when several other posters claim to not care about CR, or cancel thier subscriptions, that this does not aply to me, having not been one of them, right?

You call BS on what?

You ignored my point and spit out what literally is utter nonsense in your response.

I mean in all honesty your response makes absolutely no sense.

I mean what are you insinuating, that there is no way a person here actually reads reviews of smartphones other than iphones?
post #76 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So here we have post after post from AI readers who on the one hand claim to never look at CR, but the other seem to know precisely what CR puts in and leaves out of articles they've never seen. I believe I detect a miracle at work. Hallelujah!

I call BS. Because it is.

Yeah, right. I'm supposed to pay good money to that cr** outfit so I can see the full article?
I call BS on you! Post it here for all to see WITHOUT having to join CR first, or shut your pie-hole.
post #77 of 166
Am I reading correctly?? There are ZERO droid phones on verizon with front facing cameras??

That alone will lure thousands of customers.
post #78 of 166
Consumer Reports is like a pessimist: it knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
post #79 of 166
Unfortunately Consumer Reports *is* taken seriously by the mainstream press, who routinely refer to it as a judge of record on any number of products and services -- this despite the fact that, as Apple Insider just devastatingly revealed (not for the first time), CR doesn't seem to care at all about facts.

What I'd like to know is, what tech stock holdings do the CR editorial staff have?
post #80 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Yeah, right. I'm supposed to pay good money to that cr** outfit so I can see the full article?
I call BS on you! Post it here for all to see WITHOUT having to join CR first, or shut your pie-hole.

So if you don't know anything, you can claim whatever you like? Gaining knowledge might require effort, and will probably just get in the way of having an opinion, so best to avoid it. The perfect argument for the superiority of ignorance.

BTW, reading the "full article" is free. But you will have to click a link. Please try not to over-exert yourself.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Consumer Reports offers scathing critique on Verizon iPhone 4