or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Media Event For iPad 2 Announced Soon?

Media Event For iPad 2 Announced Soon?

post #1 of 8
I have a feeling that Apple will announce the date for a media event to kick off the iPad 2 in the next week or two.

No inside information, just a guess based on prior events. With Apple on the verge of breaking the 10 million download mark for the App Store, they will surely want to highlight this with the press and what better way to do it then at an event dedicated to a platform that supports the App Store. It wouldn't make sense for them to have a media event a couple months after the 10 millionth download as it will be relatively old news.

Also with iOS 4.3 with so many iPad 2 references, why would they put them in an update that would not be used with the iPad 2?

Then you have the BestBuy SKU slip. Does anyone know the time between last years slip and when they had the media event to announce the original iPad or was the iPad not sold at BestBuy for a few months after? My memory isn't doing me well right now lol
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

No inside information, just a guess based on prior events. With Apple on the verge of breaking the 10 million download mark for the App Store, they will surely want to highlight this with the press and what better way to do it then at an event dedicated to a platform that supports the App Store. It wouldn't make sense for them to have a media event a couple months after the 10 millionth download as it will be relatively old news.

The download itself makes its own news. It doesn't need the iPad, and the iPad doesn't need to be clouded by it.

Quote:
Also with iOS 4.3 with so many iPad 2 references, why would they put them in an update that would not be used with the iPad 2?

Because they've always done that with unreleased iDevices that have firmwares.

Quote:
Then you have the BestBuy SKU slip. Does anyone know the time between last years slip and when they had the media event to announce the original iPad or was the iPad not sold at BestBuy for a few months after? My memory isn't doing me well right now lol

It was sold on launch day, but there was no "slip".

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

This may be announced during Apple's quarterly report.
post #4 of 8
I usually just visit this site when an announcement is coming or has just been made, and I've been visiting this site a couple of times a day the past couple of weeks hoping to see that a press invitation has been released.

It somehow stuck in my mind that the event last year took place on January 27th (I double checked on Google, and I was right), so I would guess that it will happen either this week or next. I thought that these first events of the year pretty much always took place in late January but, sadly, Jobs' suddenly taking leave may have slightly thrown off or shaken up that schedule.

Getting to sit and watch a new Apple press event the day of an announcement is so much fun it's a little bit sick considering I hardly follow the industry in much of any other way. I'm just ready to get the latest one out of my system.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post

It somehow stuck in my mind that the event last year took place on January 27th (I double checked on Google, and I was right), so I would guess that it will happen either this week or next.

Nope. Aprilish. They're not going to kill off months of sales just to get an early announcement. The 1st gen was JUST launched in some countries.

post #6 of 8
I'm guessing March announcement with April deliveries.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Aprilish. They're not going to kill off months of sales just to get an early announcement. The 1st gen was JUST launched in some countries.

For whatever reason, as baffling as it is, I hadn't considered the idea that an equally-early announcement for the second iPad probably wouldn't happen since it would kill sales for the current one. It seems so obvious that I'm a little miffed that it didn't come to mind without it being pointed out for me. It sounds like I can calm down the anticipation a bit and just let the announcement come when it will.
post #8 of 8
I think the next media event maybe for new MacBook Pros. That is* if there is anything major there to announce. Otherwise, the iPad update slash media event may well wait until April just before its release date.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Media Event For iPad 2 Announced Soon?