or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO

Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO - Page 5

post #161 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

We don't know what "attend to executive duties on a day-to-day basis" means either. For some CEOs it means playing golf with some other CEO. Steve never did stuff like that anyway. He has a phone and people who he trusts and depends on. He can delegate tasks. What do you want? Does he have to punch a time clock?

Exactly.

If reports are to be believed, Jobs has been one of the most hands-on CEOs of a major corporation ever. He is said to have everything running through him from button placement on every gadget to what music plays on the commercials. Heck, he even reads and responds to his email from the public!
It is possible that he is simply stepping back his involvement to a more normal executive oversight level.
It is hard to believe he could do that, but it is possible...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #162 of 253
From "Apple Says Steve Jobs Will Take a New Medical Leave" @ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/te...y/18apple.html

Quote:
In recent months, he has looked increasingly frail, according to people who have seen him.

Dr. Lewis W. Teperman, the director of transplant surgery and vice chairman of surgery at the Langone Medical Center of New York University, said a variety of problems could affect someone with a liver transplant. Dr. Teperman has not been involved in Mr. Jobss care and said he had no knowledge of the case.

Its very common for transplant patients to have issues that are not life-threatening, Dr. Teperman said. We give them very strong, high-powered medications, immunosuppressants, to prevent rejection. Its a delicate balance, more art than science.

Side effects from the drugs can make patients ill, and sometimes the regimen has to be changed, a process that can take days and weeks. The side-effects include high blood sugar and diabetes, kidney damage, diarrhea, high blood pressure, high blood fats and cholesterol, rashes and low counts of white blood cells. The drugs leave patients prone to infection.

Rejection of the transplanted liver is also a possibility, but Dr. Teperman said it was extremely rare for a liver transplant to be totally rejected.

The original reason for Mr. Jobss transplant was never publicly disclosed. At the time, doctors not involved in his case said the most likely reason was that his pancreatic cancer had spread to his liver. If that was the case, it is possible that cancer has recurred; the anti-rejection drugs can increase the odds of cancer recurrence. A recurrence may be treatable. But so little information has been disclosed that it is impossible to tell, Dr. Teperman said.

It is high time that Steve Jobs retires for medical reasons. The New York Times article quoted above highlights 2 obvious reasons for concern:

1- A recurrence of cancer which is favored by anti-rejection drugs;

2- Infections brought about by anti-rejection drugs and/or the need to adjust their selection, combination or dosage.

We should all be thankful for the immense contribution Steve Jobs has made at Apple, but now is the time to retire so that a real succession plan can take place.

No, Steve Jobs is not eternal. Investors should take notice and cash in their profits while they exist. Hedge funds are sure to leave the Apple ship and leave it in a worst shape than before they invested in it for the unmatched "double digit returns".

From now on, shareholders, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the NASDQ authorities will decide whether Steve Jobs can stay on, pretend that he is still the Apple CEO, and refuse to discuss the health problems that force him to take an indefinite medical leave of absence.

Really, only fools would fail to understand what is happening.

post #163 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Exactly.

If reports are to be believed, Jobs has been one of the most hands-on CEOs of a major corporation ever. He is said to have everything running through him from button placement on every gadget to what music plays on the commercials. Heck, he even reads and responds to his email from the public!
It is possible that he is simply stepping back his involvement to a more normal executive oversight level.
It is hard to believe he could do that, but it is possible...

I somehow imagine that he would relinquish the 'normal executive' duties before giving up the hands on product and design decisions. He has people who can do most of the executive stuff but nixing a button? Jonny Ive is his sparring partner I am sure, but in the end, having a say in developing cool new products and features, and nixing buttons is what its all about.
post #164 of 253
I suggest everyone goes hug her/his MacBook, iPhone or iPod so he can feel the love. I wish you all the best SJ, after all you are one of my heroes...
post #165 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

No it isn't. Look at a market where it is still trading (e.g. Germany). Roughly -8.5%

Not a big panic yet, but given Apple's fundamentals, it is bound to be a temporary dip.

I suspect this has been planned in combination with the financials tomorrow. Those might soften the blow.

Here's an interesting report:

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/App....html?x=0&.v=8
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #166 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So all those former Apple employees were lying.

Guess the original Macintosh team and later hardware engineers don't know about their own working environment.

Links please -- or are you just spouting?

post #167 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Speak for yourself, mate. Your view will always be biased due to your declared dislike and mistrust of the man, but really, until I actually know anything more than that everybody is speculating I guess I'll remain a fool.
post #168 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I somehow imagine that he would relinquish the 'normal executive' duties before giving up the hands on product and design decisions. He has people who can do most of the executive stuff but nixing a button? Jonny Ive is his sparring partner I am sure, but in the end, having a say in developing cool new products and features, and nixing buttons is what its all about.

I agree 100% I listed a range from the important (button sparring with Ive) to the less important (commercial music and emailing the public). One would hope that he would continue to be involved in the important (if he is to remain CEO) while giving up on the rest.
Nevertheless, I suppose Jobs has thought that all of his duties are "what it is all about" because he does seem to relish his work!
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #169 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

We don't know what "attend to executive duties on a day-to-day basis" means either. For some CEOs it means playing golf with some other CEO. Steve never did stuff like that anyway. He has a phone and people who he trusts and depends on. He can delegate tasks. What do you want? Does he have to punch a time clock?

I think we actually have a pretty good idea, from his past history. Steve was never a "hands off" type of manager. He gets himself deeply into the details. Very little happens at Apple that doesn't have Steve's personal green light. That's what we've heard for years now, so I think we do know in general what attending to his duties means. I don't see how he manages this by remote control, especially if he's spending a lot of time with doctors.

Please, let's not try to ignore the fact that the board is very unlikely to tell Steve to step down in favor of Cook, even if perhaps they should. I think it may well be time to make the transition official, but I don't see Steve letting go until he simply can't hang on any longer. So who thinks this is good for Apple? Not many, I'll bet.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #170 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Speak for yourself, mate. Your view will always be biased due to your declared dislike and mistrust of the man, but really, until I actually know anything more than that everybody is speculating I guess I'll remain a fool.

I am surprised that he didn't mention that Jobs is a college dropout as he has in so many other posts.
post #171 of 253
I have read the announcement several times. One thing strikes me. Sadness.

There is a definite tone of sadness that I find disturbing. To me this note is saying goodbye.
post #172 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Already done. Follow posted links. You could also read some of the multiple stories appearing today on this subject. Many of them include comments from corporate governance experts, and refer back to the previous history of disclosures. I have yet to hear from any of them that Apple has handled disclosure issues well in the past or that they're doing it any better now.

One posted link to a news article?

Not my cup of tea, non of my scientific publications I peruse in would accept such, but since you have, consider the following.

In your single citation:
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed, Mr. Jobs's minimal disclosure is again is stirring controversy. His vague statement to Apple employees "leaves a lot to the imagination and that was the problem the last time,'' said Charles Elson, head of the Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware's business school. "It does leave a lot for investors to worry about.''

Mr. Elson, a corporate-governance expert and member of HealthSouth Corp.'s board, suggested that Apple directors divulge greater details about their ailing leader's medical condition. "They need to be as specific with investors as he [Mr. Jobs] has been with them about the nature of his health difficulties and when he may come back,'' Mr. Elson said.

Mr. Elson argued shareholders' right to know overrides a public company chief executive's preference for privacy. "When you become a CEO, your privacy becomes muted a bit,'' he added.

But a year and a half earlier, the same man:
Quote:
Some corporate governance experts said that because Jobs is on a temporary medical leave, Apple does not have material disclosure obligations until he returns.

"There doesn't need to be any disclosure until they bring him back," said Charles Elson, chair of the Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware. "Then they have to disclose it when he returns."

In addition, i don't see any succession planning in any of the boards that Elson is on. And at what point, and who makes it, that dictates that a CEO is ailing enough to disclose his/her health status? However, I do see that Mr. Elson has addressed that in part.
post #173 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

@bigpics

Ok wtf should he disclose then anyway? Do you want daily announcements by his physicians? Weekly? Bi-weekly? Do you want blood exams, urine exams, mris? Do you want them mailed to you or posted online?

And do you maybe want to have your doctors examine him too? Which doctors opinion on SJ's would you consider reliable?

This whole discussion is ridiculous and nonsensical. A medical leave of absence is just that. End of story. We know about Steve's cancer in the past, an his liver transplant, the rest is for his family, close friends and doctors to know.

I know I'm not gonna get anywhere with you, but 1) it's not for HIM to disclose, it's for Apple, Inc., again, a publicly held corporation with millions of people having more or less of their prosperity depending on how Apple does, to keep us apprised of what THEY as an organization know about the overall state of their leadership team.

Again, as Dr. Milmoss points out you and others are simply making up what the real issue is here which is not second-by-second access to every medical detail of the man's life. In debate terms, you're dragging a "red herring" across the stage to distract from the real issue or building a "straw man" which you can knock down and look like you've made a point.

2) That the rest of the team is intact and doing fine is good news, but everyone in the world knows who's responsible for bringing Apple Computer from the brink of irrelevance to the hottest business organization in the world. Thus no one expects a press release that a junior engineer in the iPad division is out on maternity leave or that another employee at that level has been fired or hired.

But no other major company in the world is so currently tied to the actions and ideas of a single person as Apple is to Steve Jobs.

3) And if Apple actually knows nothing more that what it released, which seems absurd on its face, but if that's the case, then people who are a) owners, b) suppliers/dealers/partners and c) customers need to know that as well so we can make our own decisions about our a) Apple stock, b) contracts and c) product-buying plans accordingly.

4) This of course doesn't imply breathless daily press releases of every detail of his condition - which is confidential unless released by the patient or those personally acting on a patient's behalf when they cannot do so, but it does include Apple's (not Steve's) understanding of what the statement that Jobs "will be involved in "major strategic decisions" means (and how capable he is of fulfilling that role) and some estimate of when their CEO might be back and their confidence level that he will.

5) And this is not just my opinion in any way. As noted elsewhere there are SEC regulations and likely other legal or policy matters which apply here. I'm certain there's a whole body of developing precedent.

6) There will be a post Steve Jobs period to Apple's life as an organization. His successor will not be his clone (and e.g., just for one fact, will not be largest shareholder and a board member at Walt Disney, which has guaranteed strong Hollywood support for the company). The post SPJ exec. will constantly be facing new challenges as they arise from competitors, co-opetitioners, suppliers and within - and will be changing or seeking to change the team and strategic directions - in an atmosphere where that new exec. will be far more closely scrutinized than nearly any other, given the shoes he or she will be filling.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #174 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

One posted link to a news article?

More, with actual links to the articles cited.

Quote:
The company has a responsibility to let public shareholders know that the organizational structure will be sound if Steve Jobs has to leave for any reason, said Apple investor Ryan Jacob, head of the Jacob Internet Fund. Apple is the funds third-largest holding, accounting for 5.9 percent of its investments as of Dec. 31. The amount of disclosure about whats going on has been poor at best, he said.

In the investors mind, Steve Jobs is the linchpin to this companys future and there are unanswered questions, said Charles Elson, director of the University of Delawares John Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance. His health is not an isolated issue. Unfortunately, it directly relates to investors confidence in this business and there has not been enough transparency from the board.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...fer=technology

Quote:
"From a legal standpoint, Apple doesn't have to disclose a thing. But from a transparency standpoint, they should disclose," said Delaware's Elson, from the University of Delaware. Even though Jobs' health may be his personal business, he represents so much of the Apple brand that investors deserve to be updated, Elson said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...shealth23.html

Quote:
We dont know much, said Charles Elson, director of the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware. We know he is back at work and that he had a transplant. Given how important he seems to be to the value of this business, we ought to have the facts in front us that the board had in bringing him back. During his absence, Apple said little about Mr. Jobs other than repeating that he would be back at the end of June. Jeffrey A. Sonnenfeld, a senior associate dean at the Yale School of Management, said Apples insistence on secrecy damaged the companys credibility.

At every stage, the rumor mill was more informative and accurate than the companys external communications, Mr. Sonnenfeld said. The fact that theyve gotten away with it sets a very low bar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/te...s/30apple.html
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #175 of 253
This is probably the transition where Jobs will be leaving permanently. Good health to him and may he return as soon as possible if this is not a transition move.
post #176 of 253
My heart dropped when I heard this. I think this may very well be Steve's last act. He gave it all he could, and he gave the world remarkable technologies to make our lives more enjoyable and fulfilling. I just can't help but come to terms that Steve's last days may be upon us. This leave may be his final pilgrimage to fulfill life's last desires. I hope that he finds peace in this frightening time and know that he is loved more than feared. Since 1992 I have been a die hard Apple nut, and Steve saved my favorite company. I hope he leaves behind a blueprint for Apple to follow for the next 50 years. Find peace, Steve!
post #177 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

My heart dropped when I heard this. I think this may very well be Steve's last act. He gave it all he could, and he gave the world remarkable technologies to make our lives more enjoyable and fulfilling. I just can't help but come to terms that Steve's last days may be upon us. This leave may be his final pilgrimage to fulfill life's last desires. I hope that he finds peace in this frightening time and know that he is loved more than feared. Since 1992 I have been a die hard Apple nut, and Steve saved my favorite company. I hope he leaves behind a blueprint for Apple to follow for the next 50 years. Find peace, Steve!

This may happen as you say, but more likely, we will see steves in and out of his company in the next couple of years. As much as I would like steve to continue at full power as soon as possible, as much I wish for him to have a long life ahead. Both ideas are in his situation incompatible. But he pulled the wagon out of the deep swamp and that almost single handedly back at the end of the ninties. Now he has gathered a extraordinary capable crew around himself, so that I beliefe he can really relax during his leave. This situation actually may really help him, since being able to let go releaves from stress, and reduced stress improves the overall prognosis of almost any kind of desease but particularly from cancer, if he truly is still suffering from his pancreatic cancer.
Get well soon steve!
post #178 of 253
Metaphorically, and with all the goodwill I can muster, I hope there's an app for that....
post #179 of 253
Quote:
Needed at Apple

Apple needs to delegate Steve Jobss power more formally to someone else. Mr. Jobs, Apples chief executive, is handing day-to-day control to the companys chief operating officer, Tim Cook, because of health issues. Yet he retains his chief executive title. This is the third such move, and this time the handover is indefinite. However painful, a more formal transfer to an acting chief executive would have been better.

Both Apple and its shareholders can take comfort in the fact that the last two transfers, also to Mr. Cook, took place smoothly. Apples operations showed no signs whatsoever of impairment under caretaker management.

Mr. Cook has worked at Apple for more than a decade and has been chief operating officer for several years. Hes clearly a safe pair of hands and more in total, he was paid $59 million last year. Moreover, Mr. Jobs has promised to retain control over big strategic choices.

But Mr. Jobss fitness is, sadly, an increasing concern. The company hasnt said exactly what the current matter is, but this latest setback follows previous treatment for pancreatic cancer and an organ transplant. Furthermore, the open-ended nature of Mr. Jobss current respite will add to the worry for employees and investors alike.

In these circumstances, Apple would have been better served by explicitly naming Mr. Cook acting chief. That would leave Mr. Jobs as chairman, where he could retain say over the Apples strategic direction without the grueling daily chores of running the company.

That is where he is most valuable anyhow. Such a division would provide clarity and give Mr. Cook a proper mandate, given the responsibility of overseeing a company with a $300 billion market capitalization.

Mr. Jobs plays an outsize role at Apple. He is arguably the best executive in technology. But his reputation also depends on keeping the company on the soundest footing possible, even if that means formally loosening his grip.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/business/18views.html
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #180 of 253
Quote:
In these circumstances, Apple would have been better served by explicitly naming Mr. Cook acting chief. That would leave Mr. Jobs as chairman, where he could retain say over the Apples strategic direction without the grueling daily chores of running the company.

I expect this to announced about 6 months after his return from this LOA. When you add in the rumors that Apple is searching for a CFO (even though Oppenheimer says he is happy at Apple), I think you can see that there is an effort to adjust the management team. It appears that Oppenheimer will be slotted into the COO spot upon Cook's elevation to CEO. I have some concerns about moving a finance guy into running operations but I am sure they feel he will be the best "cultural" fit. Steve will assume the role of a very active board chairman - working out the big strategic moves and keeping careful watch that the "Apple DNA" continues to inform future product decisions.

From my perspective, Apple has been laying the groundwork for this transition for the past two years. Steve has included more presenters at Apple events not only to help them improve their presentation abilities but also for the media and others to get used to announcements coming from someone other than Jobs. Press releases that once quoted only Jobs now frequently include quotes from Cook or other senior staff.
post #181 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I expect this to announced about 6 months after his return from this LOA. When you add in the rumors that Apple is searching for a CFO (even though Oppenheimer says he is happy at Apple), I think you can see that there is an effort to adjust the management team. It appears that Oppenheimer will be slotted into the COO spot upon Cook's elevation to CEO. I have some concerns about moving a finance guy into running operations but I am sure they feel he will be the best "cultural" fit. Steve will assume the role of a very active board chairman - working out the big strategic moves and keeping careful watch that the "Apple DNA" continues to inform future product decisions.

From my perspective, Apple has been laying the groundwork for this transition for the past two years. Steve has included more presenters at Apple events not only to help them improve their presentation abilities but also for the media and others to get used to announcements coming from someone other than Jobs. Press releases that once quoted only Jobs now frequently include quotes from Cook or other senior staff.

Maybe, I wonder. Apple has been astonishingly silent about any succession plans, which doesn't fit well with your theory.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #182 of 253
The guy has had two major surgical procedures...one the ghastly "Whipple procedure" and the other a liver transplant. It's amazing he has survived these to stand up in front of people at keynotes since then.
post #183 of 253
Quote:

Maybe, I wonder. Apple has been astonishingly silent about any succession plans, which doesn't fit well with your theory.

Are you suggesting that you think they have no succession plan in place? I find that view very naive. They don't need to publicly announce their plan just to prove they have one.
post #184 of 253
Best of health, Steve -- one our great innovative minds of our time!
post #185 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Are you suggesting that you think they have no succession plan in place? I find that view very naive. They don't need to publicly announce their plan just to prove they have one.

We simply don't know, and all questions on this subject are rebuffed. Considering the importance of Steve to Apple, and his health history, it makes sense for the company to be more clear about their post-Steve plans. The uncertainty doesn't serve any good purpose that I can see. I'm hardly the first one to comment on the mystery that Apple has deliberately created around this issue.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #186 of 253
deleted
post #187 of 253
Quote:

We simply don't know, and all questions on this subject are rebuffed. Considering the importance of Steve to Apple, and his health history, it makes sense for the company to be more clear about their post-Steve plans. The uncertainty doesn't serve any good purpose that I can see. I'm hardly the first one to comment on the mystery that Apple has deliberately created around this issue.

I think Apple's succession plans are obvious, even if unspoken: Cook succeeds Jobs as CEO.

The question then is who fills the COO position. Do you fill the position from within or do you find an outsider who is exceptionally strong in operations (much like when they hired Cook away from Compaq). I doubt they would bring in an outsider at this point since I think they would want their COO to be inculcated to the "Apple Way".

In terms of product vision, I think this is sometimes overplayed. Products don't spring from Steve's mind fully-formed. In fact, they often start as someone else's vision. We know that Tony Faddell was responsible for the iPod. We know that some engineer dreamt up the new iMovie while on vacation. Apple is loaded with talent at many levels.

Steve's real ability is as a marketer, a presenter and the fact that he could keep people on the same page. There is no doubt in my mind that Cook can keep people focused (he's already done so). Schiller seems a capable marketer. What would be missing is that public face that introduces new products which is a serious issue.
post #188 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I'm confident they have a plan, but as an investor it would be good to know what it is. That said, unless it can be demonstrated that concealing such information from investors is a violation of FTC regs, I'm okay with whatever the Board decides.

Whomever steps into those shoes, I suspect they'll walk more softly. It's hard to imagine anyone else feeling as free to use labels like "evil", "lazy" etc. to describe people who might actually be useful to the company if appropriately managed.

For all that Steve has accomplished bringing the product line this far, we may see a new Golden Era in 2011-2012 as whomever takes over the reigns capitalizes on those products most fully with healthier relationships throughout the industries Apple has a role in.

I agree with you.

A company's founder can say and do things that are antithetical to how "hired help" would behave.
post #189 of 253
The bean counters dictated Jobs removal in the '80s because no single person is a corporation and that decision nearly ruined the company. Now the bean counters want to dictate terms because apparently one man is the corporation. When large amounts of money are involved there will be no shortage of experts insisting that their opinions are representing the "adults in the room" view. Apple has been run pretty uniquely in the corporate world to unbelievable results. There are plenty of quotes from Steve about marching to the beat of a different drum and that is certainly seen as a major factor to apples success. Real artists ship. Money managers want assurances and it's tough to blame them, but not impossible. I hope Steve and the other executives at apple hold the dogs at bay and handle this transition in their own way. He announced he had cancer in '04 (?), needed a new liver in '09 and now announced a medical leave. Change is coming. If you are an apple stock holder and are concerned then you should sell and be grateful for the money you made in the worst economy in generations. Buy stock in toothpaste or underwear, but I say let Apple be Apple.
post #190 of 253
Apple is in good hands:

I was with Tim Cook last week in New York and I walked away from that thinking, This guy is more in charge and more in control of Apple than I think people understand, said Tim Bajarin, an analyst with Creative Strategies who has followed Apple for nearly three decades. He clearly is the guy that if Apple needed additional leadership at the top, could actually carry it.

Despite Anxiety Over Leave at Apple, a Deep Bench of Leadership
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/te...r=yahoofinance

I truly believe the leave is not as serious as others think. I would think Jobs would relinquish CEO duties like he did in 2009.
post #191 of 253
deleted
post #192 of 253
Quote:

From "Apple Says Steve Jobs Will Take a New Medical Leave" @ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/te...y/18apple.html

It is high time that Steve Jobs retires for medical reasons. The New York Times article quoted above highlights 2 obvious reasons for concern:

1- A recurrence of cancer which is favored by anti-rejection drugs;

2- Infections brought about by anti-rejection drugs and/or the need to adjust their selection, combination or dosage.

We should all be thankful for the immense contribution Steve Jobs has made at Apple, but now is the time to retire so that a real succession plan can take place.

No, Steve Jobs is not eternal. Investors should take notice and cash in their profits while they exist. Hedge funds are sure to leave the Apple ship and leave it in a worst shape than before they invested in it for the unmatched "double digit returns".

From now on, shareholders, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the NASDQ authorities will decide whether Steve Jobs can stay on, pretend that he is still the Apple CEO, and refuse to discuss the health problems that force him to take an indefinite medical leave of absence.

You haven't given up.
Quote:

08-11-2007, 12:20 AM

As for Steve Jobs' 10 year tenure as Apple CEO, he has given Apple everything that he could give it (and more so, because he has only a high school education and a blue collar family background). Staying on will only stall the company and induce talented administrators to leave.

post #193 of 253
Quote:

More, with actual links to the articles cited.

Did you bother to read them?
post #194 of 253
deleted
post #195 of 253
Whatever the outcome, I'm glad he got to live long enough to see his dreams come true. I know the iPad was a big deal for him.
post #196 of 253
Goddess, may you bless Steve Jobs on his path, whatever is best for him. I understand most reality we perceive is but a shadow of true Creation. We and Apple will miss him but we all have our journeys in life, although it is definitely made smoother and more meaningful by Apple, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Jesus Christ ....

We were all led to believe Steve'd had really turned the corner on this ....

And with the Dow's day off today plus a day's worth of newscycle build-up/panic, AAPL's gonna China Syndrome tomorrow ....

It's times like these where I really wish I weren't an athesist so I can say:
"My prayers are with Steve & his family."
But since that stupid superstion will net ZERO results, I can't.
But the sentiment's there, all the same.

Get well supersoon, Stev .
The world needs more Steven P. Jobs, for we shall not gaze upon His like again.
post #197 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

Whatever the outcome, I'm glad he got to live long enough to see his dreams come true. I know the iPad was a big deal for him.

He has achieved well beyond mere mortals. If it is his time to move on to a bigger and better Universe (note: doesn't mean he has to pass away he may have to simply step down from Apple and pursue something else which is less stressful, next phase of his ability, etc), I cannot hold him back for my own selfishness. In any case, I pray for what is best for him and his family as that will be what is most important right now.
post #198 of 253
Two things I would need to mention. Firstly, it will not be the same without him. iPhone4 and iPad is nothing short of the most amazing digital devices/gadgets/computers ever made in the history of the modern IT era (ie. 90s onwards). I am generally a technology enthusiast most of my 30 years of life, although in the past 10 years I definitely moved from time-wasting rubbish pointless gadgetry to Apple stuff - technology, simply done right, essential, meaningful, purposeful, elegant, *powerful*. I was looking at Linux distros today because I am bored of Windows on my gaming PC, and I was shaking my head at both how hideous they still look and at the fragmentation. How do you even pick a distro to start with? Yes Tim Cook is a very capable person in his own right. But there is only one Steve. Yes we will have to cope, but that fact remains - there is only one Steve in our universe right now.

Secondly, we have to admit that when he went for a liver transplant no matter how advanced medical technology is today, organ transplants have many risks associated with them, and once you do not have your own organ in you, the body's systems become very different particularly with the intense medication regime you are put on. That it has only been two years since his last leave of absence and the sudden announcement is concerning.
post #199 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The bean counters dictated Jobs removal in the '80s because no single person is a corporation and that decision nearly ruined the company. Now the bean counters want to dictate terms because apparently one man is the corporation. When large amounts of money are involved there will be no shortage of experts insisting that their opinions are representing the "adults in the room" view. Apple has been run pretty uniquely in the corporate world to unbelievable results. There are plenty of quotes from Steve about marching to the beat of a different drum and that is certainly seen as a major factor to apples success. Real artists ship. Money managers want assurances and it's tough to blame them, but not impossible. I hope Steve and the other executives at apple hold the dogs at bay and handle this transition in their own way. He announced he had cancer in '04 (?), needed a new liver in '09 and now announced a medical leave. Change is coming. If you are an apple stock holder and are concerned then you should sell and be grateful for the money you made in the worst economy in generations. Buy stock in toothpaste or underwear, but I say let Apple be Apple.

Good post. The more I understand business the more Apple seems really amazing, although of course they are not perfect. Yes with the momentum and talent they have Apple can still go strong another 5 years were Steve not to return. But the "magic", for lack of a better term, may slowly ebb as Apple gradually becomes more mainstream in philosophy, angle, approach, whatever. Not to say that they won't be successful, just more mainstream.
post #200 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I'm confident they have a plan, but as an investor it would be good to know what it is. That said, unless it can be demonstrated that concealing such information from investors is a violation of FTC regs, I'm okay with whatever the Board decides.

Whomever steps into those shoes, I suspect they'll walk more softly. It's hard to imagine anyone else feeling as free to use labels like "evil", "lazy" etc. to describe people who might actually be useful to the company if appropriately managed.

For all that Steve has accomplished bringing the product line this far, we may see a new Golden Era in 2011-2012 as whomever takes over the reigns capitalizes on those products most fully with healthier relationships throughout the industries Apple has a role in.

It's about providing a sense of stability. Apple is one of the world's largest corporations, and with that position comes responsibilities. The peculiar way Apple has handled these issues, I can't help help thinking that egos are involved somehow. What prevents them from doing the right thing? That's what I wonder about, and what gives me more discomfort than the thought of Steve retiring.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO