or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO - Page 6

post #201 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

"OMG Applew is doomed" comments may start now.

"Just don't get cancer that way."
post #202 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Good post. The more I understand business the more Apple seems really amazing, although of course they are not perfect. Yes with the momentum and talent they have Apple can still go strong another 5 years were Steve not to return. But the "magic", for lack of a better term, may slowly ebb as Apple gradually becomes more mainstream in philosophy, angle, approach, whatever. Not to say that they won't be successful, just more mainstream.

Unfortunately the premise is wrong. Steve was kicked out of Apple in 1985 because he was unfocused, undisciplined, and distructive. It's questionable whether Apple could have survived two more years of Steve. The remarkable thing is how much he'd learned during his absence. I think Apple can have many good years post-Steve, but this artificial suspsense they are creating is distracting and distructive to the company's reputation. I posted the opinion of the NYT on this issue because I think it's wise and correct.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #203 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Unfortunately the premise is wrong. Steve was kicked out of Apple in 1985 because he was unfocused, undisciplined, and distructive. It's questionable whether Apple could have survived two more years of Steve. The remarkable thing is how much he'd learned during his absence. I think Apple can have many good years post-Steve, but this artificial suspsense they are creating is distracting and distructive to the company's reputation. I posted the opinion of the NYT on this issue because I think it's wise and correct.

You're trying to compare Steve now with Steve 25 years ago? If we look at what Steve has done in the past 10 years clearly he has done much better this time round and indeed he appears to have changed and learned much.

As for the artifical suspense, what more is expected? Either he can continue, or he can't. In any case whatever time he is not proactively involved at Apple is, shall we say, a not-fully-inspired time at Apple.

Personally he may indeed be rude, overbearing, etc. as some people say but he can't be all that horrible in comparison to the rest of the business world if he's led the company to its best product portfolio, highest market cap, earnings, etc.
post #204 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Wouldn't we like to believe that? But since when have his health issues been less serious than what was disclosed? Fundamentally this is the problem with Apple's approach to this issue. Investors will have to assume the worst because Apple and Steve refuse to say anything more. No oil on the water whatsoever.

I was concerned with how Steve's cancer was hidden and the late-to-announce liver transplant.

At this stage however, it's well known he had cancer and a liver transplant. Common sense dictates all we need to know from here on in. Best case, he's back in a few months. Worst case, Tim Cook takes over. Pretty simple, actually.
post #205 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez

For all that Steve has accomplished bringing the product line this far, we may see a new Golden Era in 2011-2012 as whomever takes over the reigns capitalizes on those products most fully with healthier relationships throughout the industries Apple has a role in.

Oh, I doubt it. Whatever "Golden Era" we see in 2011-2013 will be because of what Steve has led throughout this time (and the team under him, of course). From then on, I doubt things will be the same, or even, better. Just my feeling.
post #206 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You're trying to compare Steve now with Steve 25 years ago? If we look at what Steve has done in the past 10 years clearly he has done much better this time round and indeed he appears to have changed and learned much.

As for the artifical suspense, what more is expected? Either he can continue, or he can't. In any case whatever time he is not proactively involved at Apple is, shall we say, a not-fully-inspired time at Apple.

Personally he may indeed be rude, overbearing, etc. as some people say but he can't be all that horrible in comparison to the rest of the business world if he's led the company to its best product portfolio, highest market cap, earnings, etc.

No, I wasn't. I was responding to the theory that Steve was kicked out of Apple during the '80s by the "bean counters." He was dismissed because he was screwing up the company.

I refer back to the NYT piece posted above. That's what I expect.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #207 of 253
post #208 of 253
Quote:

Well, I pretty much agree with the article. It's rather spot on. And I agree with Munster.

No one expects Apple to suffer in the short term, as the company has a long product cycle. But some raise questions as to what will happen over the long term if Mr. Jobs does not return.

The problem here isnt the operations of Apple and their ability to execute and keep doing what theyve been doing, Mr. Munster said. As far as what theyve got in place, no doubt they can deliver, but as far as inspiring products you havent thought up yet, thats what youre going to lose.

The problem, really at the core, he said, is that Steve Jobss inspiration is irreplaceable.
post #209 of 253
post #210 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

No, I wasn't. I was responding to the theory that Steve was kicked out of Apple during the '80s by the "bean counters." He was dismissed because he was screwing up the company.

I refer back to the NYT piece posted above. That's what I expect.

The way the story was discussed/reported in Silicon Valley, at the time:

Technically, Steve was relieved of management responsibility and told he would hold no future management position at Apple.

He was not fired.

Some time later Steve quit to form NeXT -- taking some key Apple employees with him.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #211 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Unfortunately the premise is wrong. Steve was kicked out of Apple in 1985 because he was unfocused, undisciplined, and distructive. It's questionable whether Apple could have survived two more years of Steve. The remarkable thing is how much he'd learned during his absence. I think Apple can have many good years post-Steve, but this artificial suspsense they are creating is distracting and distructive to the company's reputation. I posted the opinion of the NYT on this issue because I think it's wise and correct.

I can't help but see similarities. Back then apple went from a garage operation to a company worth a couple billion dollars. You and apparently the experts on the board at the time think he was destructive at a time when he should be responsible. And the same opinion seems to hold true again. If experts or people in general think apple and Steve are being destructive to their reputation I say let them think that. Cause then the iphone5 and ipad2 will come out. If the stock price takes a hit in the short term they can buy back some stock to award to engineers that work the long hours needed to keep apple ahead in a fast paced industry. Beyond that from what I've read the experts don't seem to doubt that apple is set for their direction and have a very capable team to execute. What would be nice is if apple had a replacement visionary ready. On that, everyone including the experts are silent.
Expert opinions would hold more sway with with me if they would have used their skills to examine the companies whose CEOs and top "earners" made incredible amounts of money bankrupting their companies and dragging the entire country into a recession worse than anything since the great depression.
post #212 of 253
Look, like others I also wish SJ a speedy recovery.
I am also well aware that USA is a religious country, however can we stop using words like pray.
I for one hate religion, so don't like reading anything to do with it, why should it show up on a tech blog site, perplexes me.
So please STOP USING RELIGIOUS WORDS/PHRASES.
post #213 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Look, like others I also wish SJ a speedy recovery.
I am also well aware that USA is a religious country, however can we stop using words like pray.
I for one hate religion, so don't like reading anything to do with it, why should it show up on a tech blog site, perplexes me.
So please STOP USING RELIGIOUS WORDS/PHRASES.

Or STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO THEM.

Pretty simple.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #214 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I would hate to see him pass away so young.
I did read though that he is a bastard to the nth degree. Apple makes cool stuff but I heard Apple is a nightmare company to work for.

Reply

Although some of what you say (May and only may) be true. But Mr Jobs has always struck me as someone who demands the highest standards from all those who work for him (Apple). It starts with himself. He does not ask of others what he is not willing to do himself.
post #215 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Look, like others I also wish SJ a speedy recovery.
I am also well aware that USA is a religious country, however can we stop using words like pray.
I for one hate religion, so don't like reading anything to do with it, why should it show up on a tech blog site, perplexes me.
So please STOP USING RELIGIOUS WORDS/PHRASES.

Isn't it our basic human right to free speech to use religious or non-religious words as we please? What's next, ban saying "Merry Christmas"?

Extremes are not very helpful, I think. On one hand for example Christian schools that ban Harry Potter, etc. On the other hand not being allowed to use the word "pray". These extremes do not move us forward as humankind.

Pray and God can be used in a spiritual context, not necessarily a religious one. And one's personal spirituality, I believe, is a basic human right too.
post #216 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Isn't it our basic human right to free speech to use religious or non-religious words as we please? What's next, ban saying "Merry Christmas"?

Extremes are not very helpful, I think. On one hand for example Christian schools that ban Harry Potter, etc. On the other hand not being allowed to use the word "pray". These extremes do not move us forward as humankind.

Pray and God can be used in a spiritual context, not necessarily a religious one. And one's personal spirituality, I believe, is a basic human right too.

Right on, well said.

(I would however, ban Harry Potter at the drop of a hat, not that anyone would notice! )
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #217 of 253
deleted
post #218 of 253
I would love to be positive here. But I can't. I think Steve is dying, either from his cancer coming back, or other complications. This is not good news at all. I won't start the Apple is Doomed talk, but the company will be different in the case that he's not involved.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #219 of 253
deleted
post #220 of 253
It's in the law.

Quote:
Apple May Not Need to Reveal Details of Steve Jobs Medical Leave

Dolmetsch and Burrows report, "'They don’t have to say any more than the fact that he’s taking a leave, it’s indefinite, if that’s what it is,' James Cox, a Duke University law professor, said yesterday. 'Then they can express lots of generalized optimism which is not going to get them into trouble because that’s the kind of expected puffery for which there’s no actionable claims to speak of.' ... '

The SEC hasn’t provided any guidance on this,' said Peter Henning, a law professor at Wayne State University in Detroit and a former federal prosecutor. 'The last time this happened they did announce that they were going to investigate the disclosure and then we heard nothing else from them.' ... '

It’s in a company’s interest as well to limit its disclosure so that it does not create for itself a duty to update,' said Jacob Frenkel, a former SEC enforcement lawyer and now a partner at Shulman Rogers Gandal Pordy & Ecker in Potomac, Maryland.

'In this day and age, shareholders want to know everything,' Frenkel said in a phone interview. 'As a practical matter, in terms of Mr. Jobs’s personal health condition, they’re entitled to know very little.'

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...cal-leave.html
"
post #221 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The way the story was discussed/reported in Silicon Valley, at the time:

Technically, Steve was relieved of management responsibility and told he would hold no future management position at Apple.

He was not fired.

Some time later Steve quit to form NeXT -- taking some key Apple employees with him.

A distinction without a difference. He was striped of all power, which is the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I can't help but see similarities. Back then apple went from a garage operation to a company worth a couple billion dollars. You and apparently the experts on the board at the time think he was destructive at a time when he should be responsible. And the same opinion seems to hold true again. If experts or people in general think apple and Steve are being destructive to their reputation I say let them think that. Cause then the iphone5 and ipad2 will come out. If the stock price takes a hit in the short term they can buy back some stock to award to engineers that work the long hours needed to keep apple ahead in a fast paced industry. Beyond that from what I've read the experts don't seem to doubt that apple is set for their direction and have a very capable team to execute. What would be nice is if apple had a replacement visionary ready. On that, everyone including the experts are silent.
Expert opinions would hold more sway with with me if they would have used their skills to examine the companies whose CEOs and top "earners" made incredible amounts of money bankrupting their companies and dragging the entire country into a recession worse than anything since the great depression.

You might want to read up on the history of Apple, particularly at this juncture. The company was a mess. They had dead-end projects running all over the place, with nobody in charge. Steve literally broke the Mac project away from the rest of the company and kept it secret. It was total disfunction. Steve was convinced that the Mac should have no external connections, including networking. The engineers snuck in AppleTalk -- which it turned out, saved the Mac from would have been an almost instant demise. The period is full of Steve stories, and few of them are very pretty.

So I don't follow the similarities. Today, I think Apple does have a good team in place. It's time for Steve to step aside, and to let them run the company.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #222 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You might want to read up on the history of Apple, particularly at this juncture. The company was a mess. They had dead-end projects running all over the place, with nobody in charge. Steve literally broke the Mac project away from the rest of the company and kept it secret. It was total disfunction. Steve was convinced that the Mac should have no external connections, including networking. The engineers snuck in AppleTalk -- which it turned out, saved the Mac from would have been an almost instant demise. The period is full of Steve stories, and few of them are very pretty.

So I don't follow the similarities. Today, I think Apple does have a good team in place. It's time for Steve to step aside, and to let them run the company.

You keep saying Steve now is different from Steve then. But then you keep bringing up Steve's "troubled days" 25 years ago. Why would you want Steve to step aside *now* (assuming he was healthy)? What is he hindering by being CEO? Do you think without Steve in the past 5 years the iPhone4 and iPad could have become what it is? The rest of Apple without Steve would slowly slip into the mainstream. In 5 years another Samsung, or Dell or Sony. Do you disagree?

It's been a great success but a bitter, bitter fight for Apple this past 10 years. They had to fly in the face of everything everyone new. iMac, iPod, iPhone, OS X, Intel, non-user-replaceable batteries, iOS, a tablet nobody thought would be worthwhile because it's just "a big iPod touch". Digital downloads not BluRay. Mobile applications that weren't written in Java and which weren't rubbish, which people were willing to spend hundreds of bucks on.

Without Steve... Well, okay, maybe one will get BluRay, if that makes one happy. But you'd also have a tablet that runs OS X that is just as expensive as a Mac, with a stylus no less. The difference of Apple 2000-2015 with and without Steve is almost unfathomable.
post #223 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You keep saying Steve now is different from Steve then. But then why would you want Steve to step aside now (assuming he was healthy)? What is he hindering by being CEO? Do you think without Steve in the past 5 years the iPhone4 and iPad could have become what it is?

Because he isn't healthy, because he clearly can't keep up his CEO duties. The past is past -- the future is what's important now.

Stability at the top is important to any company, and especially to one as large as Apple. Steve has provided phenomenal leadership over the past dozen years. One of his tasks over that time was, or should have been, building a leadership cadre that can take the company beyond what he can accomplish himself. If that task is complete, then I think the time has come to let the bird fly. Show everyone that Apple is a great company, not just a cult of personality. Steve should step aside as CEO, remain as chair, and if Tim Cook is really the man, let him run the company. Officially. Otherwise it looks like he's letting his ego decide, or perhaps he's not convinced that Apple can run without him. Both are bad messages.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #224 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Because he isn't healthy, because he clearly can't keep up his CEO duties. The past is past -- the future is what's important now.

Stability at the top is important to any company, and especially to one as large as Apple. Steve has provided phenomenal leadership over the past dozen years. One of his tasks over that time was, or should have been, building a leadership cadre that can take the company beyond what he can accomplish himself. If that task is complete, then I think the time has come to let the bird fly. Show everyone that Apple is a great company, not just a cult of personality. Steve should step aside as CEO, remain as chair, and if Tim Cook is really the man, let him run the company. Officially. Otherwise it looks like he's letting his ego decide, or perhaps he's not convinced that Apple can run without him. Both are bad messages.

So Steve is deciding this process all on his own... the Board of Directors is not involved at all?
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #225 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A distinction without a difference. He was striped of all power, which is the same thing.



You might want to read up on the history of Apple, particularly at this juncture. The company was a mess. They had dead-end projects running all over the place, with nobody in charge. Steve literally broke the Mac project away from the rest of the company and kept it secret. It was total disfunction. Steve was convinced that the Mac should have no external connections, including networking. The engineers snuck in AppleTalk -- which it turned out, saved the Mac from would have been an almost instant demise. The period is full of Steve stories, and few of them are very pretty.

So I don't follow the similarities. Today, I think Apple does have a good team in place. It's time for Steve to step aside, and to let them run the company.

"Steve led the development of what was called AppleTalk and AppleLink. AppleTalk was the communications that enabled the Macintosh to communicate to the laser printer that enabled desktop publishing."
I'm no apple historian but that is from a recent interview with John Sculley.
I do see this as Steve handing over leadership roles, just not according to your timeline. Also leaving open a possibility of a Mark Twain moment( rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated).
post #226 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The way the story was discussed/reported in Silicon Valley, at the time:

Technically, Steve was relieved of management responsibility and told he would hold no future management position at Apple.

He was not fired.

Some time later Steve quit to form NeXT -- taking some key Apple employees with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A distinction without a difference. He was striped of all power, which is the same thing.

With all due respect, it is not the same thing from a legal perspective, alone. If you had ever run a business you would understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I can't help but see similarities. Back then apple went from a garage operation to a company worth a couple billion dollars. You and apparently the experts on the board at the time think he was destructive at a time when he should be responsible. And the same opinion seems to hold true again. If experts or people in general think apple and Steve are being destructive to their reputation I say let them think that. Cause then the iphone5 and ipad2 will come out. If the stock price takes a hit in the short term they can buy back some stock to award to engineers that work the long hours needed to keep apple ahead in a fast paced industry. Beyond that from what I've read the experts don't seem to doubt that apple is set for their direction and have a very capable team to execute. What would be nice is if apple had a replacement visionary ready. On that, everyone including the experts are silent.
Expert opinions would hold more sway with with me if they would have used their skills to examine the companies whose CEOs and top "earners" made incredible amounts of money bankrupting their companies and dragging the entire country into a recession worse than anything since the great depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You might want to read up on the history of Apple, particularly at this juncture. The company was a mess. They had dead-end projects running all over the place, with nobody in charge.

Some of this is true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Steve literally broke the Mac project away from the rest of the company and kept it secret. It was total disfunction.

This is an often-used construct employed by large corporations -- similar to the Skunk Works at Lockheed Aircraft.

If you are a student of Apple history you will realize that this approach was totally brilliant. It isolated the Mac project from the distractions in the rest of the company. One of the reasons that Apple survives to this day is because of the resuscitation provided by the success of the Mac project.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Steve was convinced that the Mac should have no external connections, including networking. The engineers snuck in AppleTalk -- which it turned out, saved the Mac from would have been an almost instant demise. The period is full of Steve stories, and few of them are very pretty.

Some citations on this, please!

AppleTalk was an integral part of the first Mac in order to support the LaserWriter (Introduced 1 year after the Mac). The LaserWriter was a Canon Laser Copier with a special motherboard supplied by Apple -- the motherboard was a specialized Mac (actually, more powerful than the Mac). The original white LaserWriter also had an RS-232 port but was too slow to be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The period is full of Steve stories, and few of them are very pretty.

The period is full of Steve stories, many are pretty inspiring, some are not -- guess which get the most publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So I don't follow the similarities. Today, I think Apple does have a good team in place. It's time for Steve to step aside, and to let them run the company.

I agree that Apple has a quality management team in place -- possibly the best there is in the free market.

Whether it is time for Steve to step aside is up to Steve and Apple.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #227 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So Steve is deciding this process all on his own... the Board of Directors is not involved at all?

And just how independent is the board? Not very, by all accounts. For one thing, Steve is the chair, and has had a hand in picking all of its members. They are very unlikely to overrule anything Steve wants, so I suspect any misgivings held by individual board members are kept to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

"Steve led the development of what was called AppleTalk and AppleLink. AppleTalk was the communications that enabled the Macintosh to communicate to the laser printer that enabled desktop publishing."
I'm no apple historian but that is from a recent interview with John Sculley.
I do see this as Steve handing over leadership roles, just not according to your timeline. Also leaving open a possibility of a Mark Twain moment( rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated).

Scully didn't come on until 1985. All of the basic developments of the Mac occurred years earlier.

I hope he doesn't wait until it's beyond obvious that he can't attend to his duties as CEO.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #228 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

And just how independent is the board? Not very, by all accounts. For one thing, Steve is the chair, and has had a hand in picking all of its members. They are very unlikely to overrule anything Steve wants, so I suspect any misgivings held by individual board members are kept to themselves.



Scully didn't come on until 1985. All of the basic developments of the Mac occurred years earlier.

I hope he doesn't wait until it's beyond obvious that he can't attend to his duties as CEO.

C'mon, Doc... at least try and get your facts straight.

Sculley was there for [on edit - "some of"] the development of the Mac in '83, and it was he who pushed for the higher introduction price of the Mac.

I don't put much credence in anything else you've said up to this time either...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #229 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

And just how independent is the board? Not very, by all accounts. For one thing, Steve is the chair, and has had a hand in picking all of its members. They are very unlikely to overrule anything Steve wants, so I suspect any misgivings held by individual board members are kept to themselves.



Scully didn't come on until 1985. All of the basic developments of the Mac occurred years earlier.

I hope he doesn't wait until it's beyond obvious that he can't attend to his duties as CEO.

As I said I'm no apple historian but I did take the time to try and find some history as you advised. Of course it was from John Sculley
Do you have any evidence that appletalk was "snuck" in?
post #230 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Because he isn't healthy, because he clearly can't keep up his CEO duties. The past is past -- the future is what's important now.

I don't think it's good for him to appear on stage in the condition he is in. If I was in that state, I'd put every effort into bulking up. His clothes hang very loose:



He looks a good bit older than 56 like that. If he aims to get to his 2003-2005 weight, that would at least look a bit more healthy:

post #231 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think it's good for him to appear on stage in the condition he is in. If I was in that state, I'd put every effort into bulking up. His clothes hang very loose:

He looks a good bit older than 56 like that. If he aims to get to his 2003-2005 weight, that would at least look a bit more healthy:

I do think that Steve looks wan.

However, I, and many others, find his public appearances exhilarating and inspiring -- especially in light of his recent setbacks.

Go, Steve -- as long as you wish!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #232 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

C'mon, Doc... at least try and get your facts straight.

Sculley was there for [on edit - "some of"] the development of the Mac in '83, and it was he who pushed for the higher introduction price of the Mac.

I don't put much credence in anything else you've said up to this time either...

The Mac project was started in 1979, and was taken over by Steve in 1981. Scully joined the company in 1983.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #233 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

As I said I'm no apple historian but I did take the time to try and find some history as you advised. Of course it was from John Sculley
Do you have any evidence that appletalk was "snuck" in?

This article treats Steve's opposition to networking as a rumor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LocalTalk

I've read more definite tellings of this story in other places but I don't recall the source. I'll have another look for this when I have more time.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #234 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This article treats Steve's opposition to networking as a rumor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LocalTalk

I've read more definite tellings of this story in other places but I don't recall the source. I'll have another look for this when I have more time.

I think there is a slim chance we are both bogging down in minutiae.
post #235 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I think there is a slim chance we are both bogging down in minutiae.

I'd say a pretty significant one.

These boards are full of people who like nothing better than to find that someone has made a small mistake, which they will use to triumphantly "prove" that hereafter anything they say can be utterly ignored. It's far too easy to get lured into that swamp.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #236 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the man who had pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant is taking another leave of absence for undisclosed health reasons, and half of the comments here are about how to profit from it.

"stock buying opportunity"? really?

i wish Jobs a speedy recovery, not for my stock, but for himself, his family, and his inspiration to Apple, it's employees, and it's fans.

Take it easy. I'm sure "vultures" also wish him speedy recovery and another 50 years as Apple's CEO, but not buying some of the most desirable stocks in the industry just because CEO is having health problems is a bit silly from any business perspective.
post #237 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Well said, he is the visionary at Apple and actually had the power to implement his vision...

I wish him and his family well.....

While I've heard the same stories of him being difficult to work for (and suspect there's at least a grain of truth to that given his vision/perfectionism), I have to say he was very personable when I spoke to him (many - like 15!?) years ago about his days at Atari. This was in the hall at a NeXT roadmap meeting, mind you, and he didn't tell me to go pound sand for wasting his time, he instead talked one-on-one about games and shared some amusing work stories from those days. And yes, I thought that was very cool then and very nice of him to take the time out since I was (oh, and still am!) a nobody compared to him and his impact on the industry.

I certainly wish him and his family all the best, a speedy recovery, and the strength to get through whatever life is throwing at them. From a purely selfish side, I also hope to see him back at Apple soon since I love the products he's been behind.
post #238 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Because he isn't healthy, because he clearly can't keep up his CEO duties. The past is past -- the future is what's important now.

Stability at the top is important to any company, and especially to one as large as Apple. Steve has provided phenomenal leadership over the past dozen years. One of his tasks over that time was, or should have been, building a leadership cadre that can take the company beyond what he can accomplish himself. If that task is complete, then I think the time has come to let the bird fly. Show everyone that Apple is a great company, not just a cult of personality. Steve should step aside as CEO, remain as chair, and if Tim Cook is really the man, let him run the company. Officially. Otherwise it looks like he's letting his ego decide, or perhaps he's not convinced that Apple can run without him. Both are bad messages.

This is an idiotic sentiment. There is no indication that he will not be healthy enough to return and even if he is not there is no lack of stability at the top. There is probably not one person at Apple that would not prefer the current state of affairs over his simply resigning tomorrow.

Why is it that you keep advocating that Apple divest itself of its important assets (Steve and its massive warchest) for some short term benefits?

If he wishes to and can stay more years and die in the saddle that gives him more time to completing his lifelong ambitions which are very close, I think, to realization. The iPad is probably a few revisions away from really changing the face of computing in the way he expected the Mac to do all those years ago.
post #239 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

These boards are full of people who like nothing better than to find that someone has made a small mistake, which they will use to triumphantly "prove" that hereafter anything they say can be utterly ignored. It's far too easy to get lured into that swamp.

Well the best way to avoid that swamp is to gracefully admit that you may have been incorrect rather than backpedalling into even more absurd positions to avoid having to admit any error.
post #240 of 253
Get well soon Steve
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO