or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Happy MLK Day!

Happy MLK Day!

post #1 of 11
I hope everybody takes time today to reflect on those things in their own person that keeps them from true freedom.

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

- MLK

... not celebrated enough in this country.\
post #2 of 11
How about...

"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death". MLK, 1967

"Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love". MLK, 1964

and this... on yet another war of aggression, sold on lies and paranoia, to benefit well-connected corporations....

"Somehow this madness must cease. We must stop now. I speak as a child of God and brother to the suffering poor of Vietnam. I speak for those whose land is being laid waste, whose homes are being destroyed, whose culture is being subverted. I speak for the poor in America who are paying the double price of smashed hopes at home and death and corruption in Vietnam. I
speak as a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path we have taken. I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
MLK, 1967

and this:

"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death." MLK, 1967.

Amen.

And whats going to happen today? Accolades from cowardly, unprincipled, mealy-mouthed, hypocritical, lying chickenhawk politicians, on both sides of the aisle, who have voted consistently in recent years for everything that MLK stood against, and gave his life for. And these assholes have the gall to eulogize him.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #3 of 11
Always such a downer. Enjoy the day. Celebrate and reflect.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
I have a dream... etc, etc.,

Not a fat lot panned out quite like you hoped, did it, Dr. King

So what happened? Support and financing of brutal dictators on the US taxpayer, the takedowns of democracies by the CIA et al, neoliberalism, neoconservatism, globalism, IMF/World Bank financial terrorism against many 3rd world and Latin American nations, galloping environmental pollution, corporate ownership of life, soaring cancer rates, AIDS, Monsanto, avian flu, the weaponization of space, massive incarceration rates, big brother/big sister, more government doublespeak, the destruction of the US media by deregulation, wholesale government paranoia, surveillance and spying on citizens, $multi-trillion bankster bailouts, the Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act, no fly lists, $trillion wars for profit, habeas corpus - gone, posse comitatus - gone, the 4th Amendment - gone, the First Amendment - gutted, Waco, Oklahoma City, government complicity in the destruction of a major US city, and 9 fucking 11....

Enough said.

"I have a nightmare"....
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I hope everybody takes time today to reflect on those things in their own person that keeps them from true freedom.

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!" A great and patriotic person who will always be remembered in the annals of history today and in the coming generations to come.

- MLK

... not celebrated enough in this country.\

Look at what I responded above thanks
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Always such a downer. Enjoy the day. Celebrate and reflect.

Yeah...Baez is such a bitch....doesn't she know killing children and Muzzlims is FUNNY????? Lighten up ffs....

Someone should do something about wankers like this...ruining MLK day....pity he's still not around..... a couple of blasts from him with an AK47 is what we need right now...
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #7 of 11

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #8 of 11
Out of context alert! Out of context alert! Reading comprehension failure imminent! Abort thread! Abort thread!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Out of context alert! Out of context alert! Reading comprehension failure imminent! Abort thread! Abort thread!

Hi BR. It's so good to hear from you. I assume you have valuable things to add to the discussion and I hope you will. One thing that would be helpful it to elaborate on what you've said above. Tell us your concerns. Tell us what you're referring to. Thanks!

post #10 of 11
No time. But you know what you did. It's what you always do.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

No time. But you know what you did. It's what you always do.

No. I really don't. Please explain to me what I know and what I did. I provided a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and included a link to the context from which it came (and anti-Vietnam war speech).

You seem to think I have done something other than this. You seem to know my intentions better than I know them. Given this accusation, I'd say you have an obligation to explain the accusation and the basis for it.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Happy MLK Day!