or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › From one medical leave to another: Steve Jobs steers Apple's most successful era ever

From one medical leave to another: Steve Jobs steers Apple's most successful era ever - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No, I don't think so -- requesting a medical leave is proactive.

I think the iTroll was saying that the AI piece looked like one of those bio articles that is written and ready to go in case of the death of a person of interest.
In this case, not a death, but a health related story triggered its publication. He is probably right...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Blah, blah blah blah blah? WTF? blah -blah-blah?
Blah blaaaah, look at meee! blah blah blah.

Good point!
post #43 of 62
Quote:

Exploiting? Say what?
So you got sucked into something - too bad but judgeing by your accusation I would believe it to be quite understandable.

They're is nothing exploitive by stating that Apple is Steve Jobs and Steve Jobs is Apple.
Cook was simply pushing the corporate wheels in Jobs' absence. Name me one thing he created/evnvisioneded that was implemented. (and hint another generation of iPhone with video hardly counts as visionary). Dropping priced on MacBooks is hardly revolutionary either.

Tim Cook put together the vehicle that contains those "corporate wheels" -- the supply chain, the cost/price negations, the forecasting, the manufacturing, the marketing, the sales and the distribution.

Here's some perspectives:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/App....html?x=0&.v=1

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/ass...9-4286855B6929
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by procapital View Post

When Ford, Disney, Hilton and many other business visionaries retired or died, many "Einsteins" predicted apocalypses.

Why? people LIKE you saw those guys as the brand, the creators and the heart of the business, but what people did not understand is that the heart and the vision of an individual DOES NOT die when many seeds have been planted, what Apple is today is the base of what apple will be tomorrow!

Obviously you are not a business person, and if you are, your success may be very limited, if you have any. As I posted before, I am a business individual, I am a student of business, trends and history, and I suggest to you to read history before you make those "smart" statements, you don't look very good,

George

George- You misinterpret what I wrote number one. I never predicted "an apocalypse" of any sorts.
But you seem to know all and everything as the master student you portend to be so no use arguing what I wrote.
post #45 of 62
Quote:

Tim Cook put together the vehicle that contains those "corporate wheels" -- the supply chain, the cost/price negations, the forecasting, the manufacturing, the marketing, the sales and the distribution.

Here's some perspectives:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/App....html?x=0&.v=1

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/ass...9-4286855B6929

Then I rest my case as nothing you stated points to any vision of any product whatsoever but merely how to bring Steve's visions in on the dime.
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Good point!

Intelligent.
post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I think the iTroll was saying that the AI piece looked like one of those bio articles that is written and ready to go in case of the death of a person of interest.
In this case, not a death, but a health related story triggered its publication. He is probably right...

Thank you for interpeting my trolly thoughts.
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Since iLiver is determined to exploit even this topic with his negative crap, what say we just ignore him after this. At least not quote him. I already got sucked in by one other ghoul today.

I am sure he is feeling very smug right now based on his very crass username.
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Take my word for it, he's just TeckStud dressed up in another vile username with no where to go. What a twat.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #50 of 62
I'd like to thank AppleInsider for the great summary on Apple and Steve Jobs. I'd like to see Jobs' health improve for his own sake and also for the tech industry. Someone like Job's only comes around once in a generation, if we're lucky. Apple's products are great and considering how long it takes to go from concept to completion, I'm sure they've got alot of fantastic stuff in the pipeline. As great as it has been, I'm sure we haven't seen anything yet!!
post #51 of 62
Quote:

They're is nothing exploitive by stating that Apple is Steve Jobs and Steve Jobs is Apple.
Cook was simply pushing the corporate wheels in Jobs' absence. Name me one thing he created/evnvisioneded that was implemented. (and hint another generation of iPhone with video hardly counts as visionary). Dropping priced on MacBooks is hardly revolutionary either.

Hopefully SJ's vision and leadership will inform the 'creative' decisions of future generations of Apple top brass. It is hard to imagine Apple without his leadership, and it certainly will be different but not necessarily all bad. The combination of Jonathan Ive and Cook is pretty formidable.
post #52 of 62
[QUOTE=iLiver;1788066]Then I rest my case as nothing you stated points to any vision of any product whatsoever but merely how to bring Steve's visions in on the dime.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever envisioned something?

Have you ever envisioned something -- and done nothing?

Have you ever envisioned something -- and put together the infrastructure and organization to make it happen?

There are several kinds of vision in the technology arena:

1) the vision to see products that will change the world

2) the vision to see what kind of people are needed to plan, design and implement the products

3) the vision to see the organization that is needed to bring the visionary products to market.

4) the execution to make it happen

Over his business life, Steve Jobs has demonstrated all 3 kinds of vision and the execution -- with a few failures but mainly successes*.

Over his business life, Tim Cook has demonstrated visions 2 and 3 and the execution.

Apple is a very successful company, structured differently than any company in the world -- to bring visionary products to market at the best time, at the best price/cost/profit.

That organization structure is Tim Cook's vision in action.

AFAICT, there is none better!

All the visionary products amount to nothing without the visionary organization of how to bring them to market.

*In the early days at Apple most of the "organizational" planning, staffing, marketing, implementation aspects were handled by: Mike Markkulla, Mike Scott, Gene Carter, Wil Houd, et al. The two Steves have the product vision -- the two Mikes had the organizational vision.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #53 of 62
Quote:

[QHave you ever envisioned something?

Have you ever envisioned something -- and done nothing?

Have you ever envisioned something -- and put together the infrastructure and organization to make it happen?

There are several kinds of vision in the technology arena:

1) the vision to see products that will change the world

2) the vision to see what kind of people are needed to plan, design and implement the products

3) the vision to see the organization that is needed to bring the visionary products to market.

4) the execution to make it happen

Over his business life, Steve Jobs has demonstrated all 3 kinds of vision and the execution -- with a few failures but mainly successes*.

Over his business life, Tim Cook has demonstrated visions 2 and 3 and the execution.

Apple is a very successful company, structured differently than any company in the world -- to bring visionary products to market at the best time, at the best price/cost/profit.

That organization structure is Tim Cook's vision in action.

AFAICT, there is none better!

All the visionary products amount to nothing without the visionary organization of how to bring them to market.

*In the early days at Apple most of the "organizational" planning, staffing, marketing, implementation aspects were handled by: Mike Markkulla, Mike Scott, Gene Carter, Wil Houd, et al. The two Steves have the product vision -- the two Mikes had the organizational vision.

I'm glad you posted this. Reading Andy Hertzfeld's Revolution in the Valley right now, and it's clear from this great collection of yarns that in the early years the personal computer "invention" attracted all sorts of visionaries who saw the potential in amplifying the human mind, and Apple is where many, many of them went to work. They left Xerox and HP and Stanford and Berkeley and joined the Master Visionaries to bring insanely great products into being.

What Jobs seems to have done, among other things, was collect like-minded visionaries and conduct the orchestra, using his massive commitment to aesthetics as a, if not the guiding principle in bringing out these mind amplifiers. Along with Woz, Andy Hertzfeld, Bill Atkinson and Burrell Smith are shining examples of others too numerous to mention here.

Apple has founded an industry of a fundamentally different kind from any other I can think of: mind amplification ruled by art. We are seeing it being tested against all manner of commodity purveyors right now who don't quite see the difference that the Apple aesthetic makes. But I think the company now has it in their DNA. Steve has made sure of that.
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hopefully SJ's vision and leadership will inform the 'creative' decisions of future generations of Apple top brass. It is hard to imagine Apple without his leadership, and it certainly will be different but not necessarily all bad. The combination of Jonathan Ive and Cook is pretty formidable.

More than that is the considerable talent in the engineering and product groups: Bob Mansfield, Bertrand Serlet, Scott Forstall. Then add in Schiller, Oppenheimer and Ron Johnson. Apple is deep in executive talent and you can bet that Jobs' influence has been formative to not only these individuals but the many others who report to them. Apple without Jobs will be different but that may prove to have benefits as well as downsides.
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenardhood@rcn.com View Post

Maybe you are fucking dickhead?

Well said!!!
post #56 of 62
Quote:

Then I rest my case as nothing you stated points to any vision of any product whatsoever but merely how to bring Steve's visions in on the dime.

You are so clueless about why and how a business becomes and stays successful.

... adds iLiver to ignore list ...

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Smug? You have no idea how I feel right now.
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well a joint CEO of those 2 sounds better than either one singularly. Sill missing though is the prick factor.
post #59 of 62
Quote:

Well a joint CEO of those 2 sounds better than either one singularly. Sill missing though is the prick factor.

If megalomania was really the key to making Apple the second largest company on the planet, I'm sure Ive will step up and become a jerk...

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #60 of 62
SJ is a perfectionist, that is why Apple is so successful.
The time he went to Japan to learn why Apple were not selling well there, it turned out that the only problem was packaging ! He learnt and fixed it up, name another tech company, any company for that fact that strives to be perfect.
The introduction of the iPod had a minor flaw when the earphone jack was connected, there was no "snap" sound. Others would have ignored it, but not SJ, back it goes to be fixed.
If it was not for SJ, where would we all be ? Even those Apple Haters will have to agree that we, as users, have greatly benefited from this one man.
SJ has my deepest respect, I do not give it freely.
May he rest, get healthy and come back refreshed to wow us yet again with his great visions.
If he doesn't come back, then that is fine, there is more to life than work, I hope that Steve Jobs recovers and does what is best for him and his family.
Thank you Steve for all the hours of fun you have provided to me and my family over these years.
post #61 of 62
Inarguably, vision and strategies from garage computing days still earn good money in the Age of Smartphone. We got everything right back then.

Get well soon, Steve.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Inarguably, vision and strategies from garage computing days still earn good money in the Age of Smartphone. We got everything right back then.

Get well soon, Steve.

Well said. Maybe the vision and strategies are now more right than ever.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › From one medical leave to another: Steve Jobs steers Apple's most successful era ever