or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Why high resolution screens matter for Apple's iPad 2

Why high resolution screens matter for Apple's iPad 2 - Page 3

post #81 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Second is iPhoto which should be vastly improved on such a screen. Mainly because most cameras still outstrip the abilities of the screen to display the images generated. IPhoto and this screen would go together like peanut butter and jelly. In fact such a screen would justify an Aperture like program for iPad 2 if it comes with enough RAM.

Third for movie editing again we have a win. 1080p can be displayed while maintaining area for controls and editing tools.

So, if we assume: dual-core (or more) CPU, Dual-core (or more) GPU, 2048x1536 display, 1GB RAM (or more)...

We have a pretty powerful little device.

What if Apple were to port the ProRes codecs to the iPod -- and maybe some iPad versions of Pro apps or ProSumer apps;

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...le-prores.html

what would that mean to video production?

Drool!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #82 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Let's put it this way I'm very hopeful that all the rumors come true. If so iPad 2 would be one impressive machine. More so it might remain useful to the user for much longer than iPad 1. I suspect that many titles will become iPad 2 very quickly. In large part that will be due to the expected extra RAM, with CPU performance a quick second.

I believe that Apple is determined to upend the competition in this round. I think they are willing to take a hit on margins to do so. As I guessed a while back, Apple's margins on some of their other products are improving giving them more latitude to trade margin for marketshare on the iPad.
post #83 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Personally, I don't care what you can/cannot 'take'.

Have A Nice Day.

Hmmmm, what's that line below in your signature about "childish" - you are the true personification...
post #84 of 196
Quote:

Because there's so much more that the iPad's additional screen real-estate could used for... Oh Well, there's always Honeycomb, which is designed from the ground up for tablet/slate use.

ROFLOL - now see there, your true troll colors are showing...
post #85 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

So, if we assume: dual-core (or more) CPU, Dual-core (or more) GPU, 2048x1536 display, 1GB RAM (or more)...

We have a pretty powerful little device.

What if Apple were to port the ProRes codecs to the iPod -- and maybe some iPad versions of Pro apps or ProSumer apps;

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...le-prores.html

what would that mean to video production?

Drool!

Slightly off topic: They still haven’t iMovie for iOS a universal app. Of course, there is no camera on the iPad to take video. Can you even sync videos from iPhoto onto the device and then edit it?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #86 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I believe that Apple is determined to upend the competition in this round. I think they are willing to take a hit on margins to do so. As I guessed a while back, Apple's margins on some of their other products are improving giving them more latitude to trade margin for marketshare on the iPad.

We should get an idea of margin projections at today's earnings call!
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #87 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We should get an idea of margin projections at today's earnings call!

Yes. And they will still be low-balled. I'm not even convinced that Apple is deliberately guiding margins lower than should be - I'm beginning to think that they just are mis-factoring the economies of scale spread out across a number of different products.
post #88 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Slightly off topic: They still havent iMovie for iOS a universal app. Of course, there is no camera on the iPad to take video. Can you even sync videos from iPhoto onto the device and then edit it?

You can get videos on an iPad via sync or the CCK -- It is easy to get get videos and pictures from the iPhone.

I think there a few iPad apps that do some basic video editing -- but nothing like iMovie on the iPhone or Mac.
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #89 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Daniel, only you can make 3 pages of endless dribble from

"It will look better."

But then he wouldn't be able to go on about how much better the Mac was in 1984.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #90 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other graphical desktop operating systems, including the Amiga, Atari ST and Apple's IIGS, used non-square pixels, which enabled them to use cheaper TV-like displays but gave their desktop a stretch appearances and distorted the relationship between documents on screen and in print...

and Atari ST

"Other graphical desktop operating systems, including the Amiga, Atari ST and Apple's IIGS, used non-square pixels"

NOT TRUE.

Atari ST, beside TV output, have Atari SM 124 (12" black and white monitor with 640x400 resolution) which was even sharpen than Mac monitor.

btw I own them both even todat! take a look: http://milan.kovac.cc/sr/oldschool.php
post #91 of 196
It's sickening seeing that 3.0 Honeycomb video. The look of it just drips of Apple Genius. I can not believe how much they continue to copy apple's iOS. The email app looked almost the same, the video chatting, etc.

Wish apple would just crush them out of existence already.
post #92 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I appreciate your explanation but if there were true resolution independence then there would only be a need to supply one set of assets for a project. The ui could take the higher resolution image and scale it for the lower resolution display. Clearly that is not the case here

This works in theory, but in reality it's better to have different versions of the file. If you look in an ICNS file on Mac OS X, for example, it could have five or six different images, from 16x16 pixels to 512x512. Because there's so much detail in the large versions, if you try scaling the 512x512 image to 16x16 then it turns into an absolute mess. The smaller versions may have

This is why in iOS and Mac OS icons, there are multiple versions of the image - it allows you to have different levels of detail that are optimum to the screen, instead of just having one. You can see this, for example, in the Phone, iPod and Messages icons on the iPhone for example - the iPhone 4 version has noticeably more texture than the older version.
post #93 of 196
Doesn't anyone remember that a few years back, Steve Jobs announced that Apple would soon have resolution-independent displays for it's desktop computers. I think this was before the iPhone.

The idea was that independent resolution would allow type to be drawn sharper by allowing more pixels without shrinking the typeface at the same time.

The announcement was made, and it was never mentioned again.
post #94 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And then we have sprockkets, another boorish toll trying to suck the air out of the room. Keep on sucking sprock...

I understand your annoyance, but don't respond in like manner please.
post #95 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

It's sickening seeing that 3.0 Honeycomb video. The look of it just drips of Apple Genius. I can not believe how much they continue to copy apple's iOS. The email app looked almost the same, the video chatting, etc.

It's like the saying that goes something like this: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

This only proves that the iOS team has done a tremendous job to achieve the best touchscreen UI, or one might say the way Steve Jobs wanted it to be.

Now if only they can think of a better way to improve the notification in iOS, this is one of the things I missed most from Android smartphone..
post #96 of 196
Quote:

I use both my iPad and my iPhone4 on a daily basis, and again... the APPS are what are optimized, the UI is essentially the same in both look/function, even down to the (rather wasteful) icon spacing utilized on the iPad.

DaHarder is a perfect example of the type of poster that's utterly pointless to argue with. He has absolutely zero interest in honest discussion and will change his claims as necessary (while arguing that he hasn't) to avoid admitting that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Best just to point out that everything he says is bullshit and move on.

If you feel it's necessary to respond to individual posts, just give them a rating on the bullshit meter. For example, the post above rates a 9 (out of 10) on the bullshit meter. A 9 because there are apps and they do have icons that appear in Springboard, which, apparently, according to DaHarder, is the only "UI" on the iPad and iPhone.
post #97 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacm View Post

and Atari ST

"Other graphical desktop operating systems, including the Amiga, Atari ST and Apple's IIGS, used non-square pixels"

NOT TRUE.

Atari ST, beside TV output, have Atari SM 124 (12" black and white monitor with 640x400 resolution) which was even sharpen than Mac monitor.

btw I own them both even todat! take a look: http://milan.kovac.cc/sr/oldschool.php

You must be new here; Daniel rarely does any fact checking.
post #98 of 196
Quote:

You must be new here; Daniel rarely does any fact checking.

For those who are new here sprockkets rarely feels the need to restrict himself to facts. Actually, almost never.
post #99 of 196
Quote:

Weak minded fool.

Is that your self-description in 3 words?
post #100 of 196
Man, at least 50-60% of the posts on here are so blatantly biased one way or the other,(along with 90% of the articles), I can almost understand the backlash from some android trolls, that is, if there was any reasonable point to them being on an apple forum at all, which there isn't.....

I'm crazy about apple devices, but seriously, sometimes the articles are difficult to read or take seriously at all because they are written in such a heavy slant (for instance, how any poster could defend the articles like this as anything other than fanboyish blog posts). My work is switching service providers, and I'm actually hoping to get an android phone so I can get some unbiased info on what owning one is really like compared to my iphone.

Moving on, Daharder, how is it that you manage to use an ipad and galaxy tab so much in a given day?

And was it the playbook that you ordered 3 each for your family? not enough time in the day nor useful applications for three devices like that, and while you don't deserve ALL the abuse you get here daily, you do come off as the quintessential forum troll.....
post #101 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Substantiated rumors of the next generation iPad using a vastly higher resolution 2048x1536 display are drawing some to question why the iPad would even need such a dense pixel count, which is much higher than even Apple's 17 inch MacBook Pro. The answer relates to resolution independence.

Basically, the gain here is clearer text at small sizes. Once you try it you can't go back - and all that. How much will this display affect any performance advantage iPad 2 has, though? That's the question.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #102 of 196
So at what point does having a largely or completely enclosed machine become less feasible?

I saw several suggest that perhaps the large speaker is actually a vent, however, phones and tablets rumored to have similar hardware to the proposed coming ipad 2 hardware do not appear to need cooling....

Just wondering where that comes to a head, or is the power consumption tech really moving that quickly...??

How warm does the ipad 1 get for those that own them here? Can you see the massive jump in processing power creating an issue with heat?
post #103 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

They need to go ahead and tack on WebM support if it's possible at all.

If that isn't a joke, they can't do that. Requires a plug-in. Google can go shove it.

Did you know, now, it's no longer possible to sign up for a YouTube account? It's now called a Google Account. If you remain signed into YouTube now, you also remain signed into Goolge.com. I don't trust Google. I never asked them for a Google account, and because I don't want to remain signed into my unwanted Google Account I can't remain signed into a YouTube account.
post #104 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaker355 View Post

Personally, a retina display on the iPad will be the single biggest reason for me to upgrade from the original device.

It'll be great. But it's still left unanswered for me as to whether the RAM increase iPad 2 inevitably gets will be used up by this "amazing" display. Don't get me wrong, I want a great screen - but not if it means iPad two will act as if there has been no RAM increase.

Relative low RAM is my single biggest iPad gripe, as an iPad owner and user. I don't need any cameras, but won't say no.

I want better performance and a 'noticeable' RAM increase.
post #105 of 196
Quote:

Daniel, only you can make 3 pages of endless dribble from

"It will look better."

I do believe you meant to say 'drivel'.
post #106 of 196
Quote:

The only thing that's remotely 'straining' on the iPad (for the reader) is the excessive weight after holding it for extended periods- IMO.

As a book reader weight is of secondary concern for me. As a Kindle owner it's obvious books can't be LCD. In fact, I own a Kindle and an iPad and continue to read paper books.
post #107 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why dont you go back to Engadget to troll.

He likes to spread the love.
post #108 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by karteekmehta View Post

I bet the resolution would be 25% or 50% more ....

25% ... 1280x960 ... perfect for 720p video...

also possible

50% ... 1536x1152 ... though less likely due to the odd resolution size...

Gruber seems to think they have to double the pixel count for it to work. I presume he's researched this. Besides, I have noticed him saying these types of things before, but really he's had inside knowledge all along - even if he hasn't admitted as such on these occasions.
post #109 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

You might've missed this since the rumors are flying fast and furious around here, but a previous thread stated the cost of the ipad1 screen is about $60 and the cost for the ipad2 screen is about $200.

Not $200 to Apple, though. Besides, that is probably an inflated cost so the guy can rip people off early out the gate.
post #110 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I wasn't aware of that either!??!?!?!

I guess no one here knows that answer....
post #111 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

I think this affirms the idea that they'll raise the price by $100, but keep at least one model of the ipad1 around at a cheaper price just so they can move units.

Didn't those Best Buy SKU's have the starting price for these new place-holding iPads at $599. No mention of a $499 model placeholder. You might be right, sadly. I would rather they killed iPad 1 and kept the price $499 if possible.
post #112 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Hi Daniel,

You have used the phrase resolution independence wrong.

It should be resolution irrelevance.

Apple has devalued pixels as a marketing tool, a spec to wave about. Once you can't really see them it really doesn't matter how many more you have.

It doesn't matter, but they have to tell you so you can then say it doesn't matter. So really it does matter. It won't matter much in 10 years time.
post #113 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

+1

An iPad with the rumoured specs would be amazing and beautiful and I'd want one for about a minute. Then I'd walk away because it's still too big to take with me everywhere.

The best place for the iPad is the boardroom, the plane OR the home. Especially the home. It's not meant to be taken 'everywhere' like your phone.
post #114 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

daharder why are you so obnoxious. Did your mummy not breast-feed you ?

You're not helping your cause by resorting to childishness.
post #115 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The best place for the iPad is the boardroom, the plane of the home. It's not meant to be taken 'everywhere' like your phone.

What the heck is a boardroom?
post #116 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

What the heck is a boardroom?

A room to get bored in.
post #117 of 196
Quote:

A room to get bored in.

Clearly. My apologies.
post #118 of 196
Quote:

The best place for the iPad is the boardroom, the plane OR the home. Especially the home. It's not meant to be taken 'everywhere' like your phone.

Couldn't agree more..

But I keep seeing people are bringing in the iPad to the mall, it's like almost everybody now own an iPad and want to show it off to everyone by making any imaginable excuses to carry it everywhere.
post #119 of 196
The reason I didn't buy an iPad is the danged pixelation on the eBook fonts annoyed the hell out of me. If the resolution bump fixes that problem then I see an iPad in my future.
post #120 of 196
Quote:

A room to get bored in.

Not unless you bring an iPad with you, and play games with it..
(with mute turned on of course)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Why high resolution screens matter for Apple's iPad 2