or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Book recomendations.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Book recomendations.

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
I'm presently finishing up a book on superstring theory and I'd like to keep up the momentum by going right to some piece of reading. I'm in the mood for some recent SciFi but something with substance and quality. Looks like the next Dark Tower book by Stephen King won't be out for several more decades (what's up with that? I read all the previous books and now I'm left hanging for what goes on 3 years? Finish the next book already!). I would also consider more books on physics (quantum, astro, GUT, etc) after. I usually ingest a book with-in a week. Thanks in advance! A short review would also be appreciated but not necessary (since i can look up the user reviews on amazon)
post #2 of 33
Q is for Quantum
post #3 of 33
Snow Crash
Neil Stephenson
post #4 of 33
The New York City Trilogy
Paul Auster
post #5 of 33
just about anything by greg bear--thats real sci fi. not space opera, so dont expect it.
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
post #6 of 33
Something by Anne Mcaffrey.
post #7 of 33
The Blue Nowhere by Jeffrey Deaver

From <a href="http://www.stephenking.com/future.html" target="_blank">Stephen King.com</a>:
2003: Wolves of the Call (Volume V of The Dark Tower series)
and
Song of Susannah (Volume VI of the series)

While I agree that the span of time in between each book is long, this last time is excusable..he was hit by a van remember?
<a href="http://www.toolband.com" target="_blank">www.toolband.com</a>
Reply
<a href="http://www.toolband.com" target="_blank">www.toolband.com</a>
Reply
post #8 of 33
The Quest for the Quantum Computer,discusses Fredkin and David Deutch,among others.
post #9 of 33
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by TOOL:
<strong>The Blue Nowhere by Jeffrey Deaver

From <a href="http://www.stephenking.com/future.html" target="_blank">Stephen King.com</a>:
2003: Wolves of the Call (Volume V of The Dark Tower series)
and
Song of Susannah (Volume VI of the series)

While I agree that the span of time in between each book is long, this last time is excusable..he was hit by a van remember?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks! This is great news. And about the getting hit by a van... come on! Since then he released like 4 books and compilations! He was probably just trying to top the last book
post #10 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:
<strong>just about anything by greg bear--thats real sci fi. not space opera, so dont expect it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. All his books are worth reading. His more recent books are not real cheery.
post #11 of 33
Its hard to recommend just one book...or author.


I'm very fond of Isaac Asimov....though he must be taken in doses(if you read only asimov for a while you'll grow tired of his writing style...but I find this true for all authors
in particular the robot series(which I have only read two books of)
and the Foundation series(which I read all but the prelude)

a friend of mine swears by snowcrash...I haven't read it yet though
and another friend of mine swear by a book called
Vurt- by jeff noon(or james noon..can't recall)
she says its very much like Snowcrash.

I'm digging Orson scott card, James joyce and Douglas adams right now
The salmon of doubt(last of the hitchhikers guide series) was just released.
I'm attempting to read finnigan's wake...but its...a task
and orson scott card is very much like Asimov.

another one of my favorites is Tom robbins
he's funny.
when it comes to non-fiction...the only author I can think of is Carl sagan....good stuff there.

I'm more into listening to music than reading
orange you just glad?
Reply
orange you just glad?
Reply
post #12 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:
<strong>Its hard to recommend just one book...or author.


I'm very fond of Isaac Asimov....though he must be taken in doses(if you read only asimov for a while you'll grow tired of his writing style...but I find this true for all authors
i </strong><hr></blockquote>

You are wrong robot , Asimov have a fun writing style when he is translated in french
post #13 of 33
Thread Starter 
I just ordered Snow Crash and found that the next Terry Brooks book came out so I ordered that too. But keep the suggestions coming; these 2 books will only last me about 3 weeks!
post #14 of 33
How about C.J. Cherryh? David Brin? Larry Niven (for fun, before he got too loopy, that is)

And, not sci-fi, but darned interesting: the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake.

If you have a scientific mind, the neurology books by J. Allan Hobson (focus on sleep and conscious/unconscious states) are a real pleasure to read.
post #15 of 33
A classic.. Neuromancer (by William Gibson)

.. some e-books (most in italian or spanish) here <a href="http://it.geocities.com/fruttamartorana/book/" target="_blank">http://it.geocities.com/fruttamartorana/book/</a>

iused to read a lot nut recently i feel there are too many useless books...
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
post #16 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider:
<strong>I'm presently finishing up a book on superstring theory and I'd like to keep up the momentum by going right to some piece of reading. I'm in the mood for some recent SciFi but something with substance and quality. Looks like the next Dark Tower book by Stephen King won't be out for several more decades (what's up with that? I read all the previous books and now I'm left hanging for what goes on 3 years? Finish the next book already!). I would also consider more books on physics (quantum, astro, GUT, etc) after. I usually ingest a book with-in a week. Thanks in advance! A short review would also be appreciated but not necessary (since i can look up the user reviews on amazon) </strong><hr></blockquote>

I highly recommend the 'Dune' series by Frank Herbert. There are 5 or 6 in the series and it is some great science fiction that has aged gracefully. It does not seem dated at all and is a compelling story that stretches over many volumes. The terminology is a little daunting at first since herbert essentially creates his own universe but its worth it. I am now just reading the follow-up books his son did including House Harkonnen and House Atreideds. His son is also a good story teller with a similar style to his father but a little choppier.

Enjoy
i got a letter from the government the other day i opened and read it it said they were suckers they wanted me for their army or whatever picture me given' a damn I said never here is a land that...
Reply
i got a letter from the government the other day i opened and read it it said they were suckers they wanted me for their army or whatever picture me given' a damn I said never here is a land that...
Reply
post #17 of 33
Thread Starter 
I read all nine books (even the 3 by his son) already and some have read 2 or 3 times. But if all else fails I will read some of the other Dune books I have again
post #18 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider:
<strong>I read all nine books (even the 3 by his son) already and some have read 2 or 3 times. But if all else fails I will read some of the other Dune books I have again </strong><hr></blockquote>

I hear you... I have been through the original 6 three times already and Im ready for another anytime. I love herbert because it is soooo immersive I can actually believe Im in another universe (sorry no macs there).

Im plowing through 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand right now. Just over half way and I cant put it down. Amazing character development and surprisingly dynamic plot. Really stimulating the ol cerebral cortex. Not sci-fi though. I was about 100 pages into 'Return of the King' when I decided to put a hold on to tackle Fountainhead.

i got a letter from the government the other day i opened and read it it said they were suckers they wanted me for their army or whatever picture me given' a damn I said never here is a land that...
Reply
i got a letter from the government the other day i opened and read it it said they were suckers they wanted me for their army or whatever picture me given' a damn I said never here is a land that...
Reply
post #19 of 33
How about some Kilgore Trout?

post #20 of 33
well i've just finished 2 books recently so here u go:-

Mick Foley - Foley is Good
wow! a reeeeeally interesting book, picks up from where 'Have a Nice Day' left up and is a wicked read even if you are not a wrestling fan
*4 thumbs up*

Ben Elton - Dead Famous
erm, a comedy book always has looooads to live up to because its hard to transgress humour onto paper and have it understood - this book is superb in places but good on the whole, its based on the whole 'Big Brother' TV thing but dont let that put u off, its worth a read - the plot is fantastic and its one of the best who dunnits i've read - this will be a movie
*4 thumbs up*

yes i know they aint sci-fi books but theres a review of em anyway

<img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
<a href="http://pub21.ezboard.com/bthetavern77385" target="_blank">The Tavern</a>
Reply
<a href="http://pub21.ezboard.com/bthetavern77385" target="_blank">The Tavern</a>
Reply
post #21 of 33
Anything by Wilbur Smith
post #22 of 33
Microsurfs
www.pixelrevolution.com/webcam/
2.66 MacPro, 15" MacbookPro
"I think I once saw Steve Jobs at Seaworld"
www.vrhull.co.uk/(click an ad and earn me some cash)
Reply
www.pixelrevolution.com/webcam/
2.66 MacPro, 15" MacbookPro
"I think I once saw Steve Jobs at Seaworld"
www.vrhull.co.uk/(click an ad and earn me some cash)
Reply
post #23 of 33
Neuromancer by William Gibson..

I really enjoyed this book in first year English.. Very Matrix style theme, but way more intense, not to mention about 15 years ahead of the movie..
purple monkey dishwasher!
Reply
purple monkey dishwasher!
Reply
post #24 of 33
The 4 books I can't stop recommending (or reading):
\t1) _Finite & Infinite Games_ by James P. Carse
\t2) _100 Years of Solitude_ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
\t3) _On the Road_ by Jack Kerouac
\t4) _The Fountainhead_ by Ayn Rand

1 is about 100 some-odd pages and only a few hours of reading for an avid reader, but reaffirmed my life (and possibly changed it in the process.)

2 is just glorious, beautiful and the day you begin it will be a lucky day.

3 is, well.. 3.

4 changed my life but took about 12 times longer than 1.

-PEte

PS - not really a PS -- my best friend Tony is a HUGE sci-fi fan and he tells me that he often finds himself reading _Ender's Game_ every single night for 4 or 5 weeks in a row. Yes, Tony is a little nutty, but isn't that sentiment worth something? He's been wanting me to read it for years and it just hasn't ever been the right time.

PPS - could you let me know what you think if you read any of the above? I'd be curious --
post #25 of 33
If I were not just sticking with the sci fi you asked for, I'd have to say Moby Dick which is the perfect go- anywhere snack, but since we are huddling on sci fi, I'll say UBIK by PKD. Sarcastic, dark, REALLY funny and a good thinker to boot. Chock full of ironic meaty goodness.
I just want to rub against you and get fixed.
Reply
I just want to rub against you and get fixed.
Reply
post #26 of 33
aside form what's been mentioned already...

anything from philip k. dick
forget the hollywood movies, the novels/short stories are far better

Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars
by Kim Stanley Robinson
terraforming Mars

Chung Kuo series
by David Wingrove
A "What if" China was the dominating nation, set in the future.

for non-fiction science related books:

Hyperspace
by Michio Kaku
worm holes, the tenth dimension, faster than light travel

The Demon-Haunted World
by Carl Sagan
science used as reasoning. Forging forward past our "dark age" beliefs.

a good modern author that is not related to sci-fi:

Michael Ondaatje
I recommend all his books.

- trowa
.: trowa
.: "To see with eyes unclouded by hate"
Reply
.: trowa
.: "To see with eyes unclouded by hate"
Reply
post #27 of 33
Thread Starter 
Hyperspace
by Michio Kaku
worm holes, the tenth dimension, faster than light travel

The Demon-Haunted World
by Carl Sagan
science used as reasoning. Forging forward past our "dark age" beliefs.


Got them in my library.
post #28 of 33
post #29 of 33
100 years of solitude is great. I'm reading Love in the Time of Cholera right now, just to get a more thorough feel of GarcÃ*a Márquez' work. A little harder to read for some reason. I'll finish it and then move on back to 100 years.

A non-sci fi recommendation is any novel by Hemingway. All time favorite writer of mine. Powerful writing style. I love it. I would like to get into more recent authors, but it's hard to separate the fluff from the good stuff, you know?
post #30 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider:
<strong>I'm presently finishing up a book on superstring theory and I'd like to keep up the momentum by going right to some piece of reading. I'm in the mood for some recent SciFi but something with substance and quality. Looks like the next Dark Tower book by Stephen King won't be out for several more decades (what's up with that? I read all the previous books and now I'm left hanging for what goes on 3 years? Finish the next book already!). I would also consider more books on physics (quantum, astro, GUT, etc) after. I usually ingest a book with-in a week. Thanks in advance! A short review would also be appreciated but not necessary (since i can look up the user reviews on amazon) </strong><hr></blockquote>

On that note, can you recommend me some good intro books to (super) string theory? something that can be understood by a "stupid guy who hated his core quantum class in college?" (actually, the class just went too fast) If I have to learn Tensor (sp?) stuff, throw in a few of those books as well...dunno...i know enough calc/complex analysis/number theory/diff eq to get by college ^_^; (it's a good school too bad I didn't learn enough from it though...I blame the professor's lack of teaching abilities )
post #31 of 33
If you are looking for good Sci-fi, then I would reccommend "Valis" by Philip K Dick. No, I am not going to explain what it is about because that is near impossible.
King Felix
Reply
King Felix
Reply
post #32 of 33
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by evangellydonut:
<strong>

On that note, can you recommend me some good intro books to (super) string theory? something that can be understood by a "stupid guy who hated his core quantum class in college?" (actually, the class just went too fast) If I have to learn Tensor (sp?) stuff, throw in a few of those books as well...dunno...i know enough calc/complex analysis/number theory/diff eq to get by college ^_^; (it's a good school too bad I didn't learn enough from it though...I blame the professor's lack of teaching abilities )</strong><hr></blockquote>

Gladly!

Beyond Einstein by Michio Kaku
Superstrings and the Search for the Theory of Everything by F. David Peat
The whole Shebang by Timothy Ferris touches on Superstring theory (among others)

Those are the ones I have read that deal with it (in my library at home). I have many other books I can recommend and you should actually read up on some elementary books before trying to tackle and understand string theory. Stephen Hawkjings is a good author to start out with, as is Michio Kaku and Paul Davies. Good luck!
post #33 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider:
<strong>you should actually read up on some elementary books before trying to tackle and understand string theory. Stephen Hawkjings is a good author to start out with, as is Michio Kaku and Paul Davies. Good luck!</strong><hr></blockquote>

My thoughts exactly...i'm having enough trouble with 4 dimensions,let alone 19 or so used in super-string-theory ^_^; Hawking's Brief History of Time was a fast/fun read, haven't gotten around to his latest one yet...but I'd like something that goes quite a bit deeper...maybe involving some basic math concepts necessary...(I can pick up new stuff fast enough to get me into Caltech...though not doing all that well, but that's mostly my fault ^_^
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Book recomendations.