or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Evidence points toward potential Feb. 27 launch of Apple's white iPhone 4

Evidence points toward potential Feb. 27 launch of Apple's white iPhone 4

post #1 of 37
Apple's long-delayed white version of the iPhone 4 could finally debut on Feb. 27, according to information leaked from the retail inventory system of retailer Best Buy.

The photo of the alleged internal information, obtained by MacRumors, shows both the 16GB and 32GB white iPhone 4 models with an in-stock date of Feb. 27. The lower-capacity model has the SKU number 1049236 and model number BBM42LD, while the 32GB model is referred to with SKU 1049245 and model number BBM43LD.

If the white iPhone 4 does launch on Feb. 27, it would be 8 months after the iPhone 4 first went on sale in the U.S. But it would also be sooner than the most recent release date provided by Apple, when it delayed the white iPhone 4 yet again in October.

After the last delay, Apple said the white iPhone 4 wouldn't arrive until Spring of 2011. That season doesn't officially start until March 20, 2011.

The Feb. 27 date in Best Buy's system could also be a temporary placeholder used internally by the company, but not based on any actual information from Apple. The date falls on a Sunday, which would be an uncharacteristic launch date for an Apple product.

Apple has publicly delayed the white iPhone 4 numerous times. In late July, the company issued its last update on the hardware, stating that it would go on sale in late 2010. It has even removed references to the white iPhone 4 from its website, where it was previously listed as "coming soon."

In July, Apple said that manufacturing of the white hardware proved "more challenging to manufacture" than the company had originally anticipated. That reveal came just a week after Chief Executive Steve Jobs publicly said the white iPhone 4 was on track to launch by the end of July.
post #2 of 37
Who cares?! "Once you go black you'll never go back" anyways..
post #3 of 37
Nice, I thought we would have to wait for iPhone 4D to get our hands on white iPhone.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #4 of 37
The white iPhone 4 is like a unicorn. Myths, stories, dreams, reported sightings, etc. but it doesn't exist!
post #5 of 37
I must say that with only a short period between announcement and beginning sale date, I'm surprised Apple didn't identify earlier that complications would arise. All the handsets available for press at the event were white models. I want to know what the underlying reason is for the delay.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's long-delayed white version of the iPhone 4 could finally debut on Feb. 27, according to information leaked from the retail inventory system of retailer Best Buy....

I still really wish they made an iPhone without *any* paint on the back of the glass. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It would be so cool to be able to see inside and a more honest design in general.
post #7 of 37
Isn't this basically a Tim Cook fiasco?
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Or Mac either for that matter.
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I still really wish they made an iPhone without *any* paint on the back of the glass. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It would be so cool to be able to see inside and a more honest design in general.

What do you mean by "more honest design"? I'm not trying to be contrary...just curious about what you meant. I agree that it'd be cool to see the interior...though I suppose the view might just be the battery, and not quite as impressive as the gears of a watch.
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

The white iPhone 4 is like a unicorn. Myths, stories, dreams, reported sightings, etc. but it doesn't exist!

So what immediately enters my mind is the Tom Cruise movie, "Legend," where instead of darkness descending over the land due to inappropriate contact with a unicorn, someone simply holds the white iphone "wrong."
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Isn't this comment basically an iLiver fiasco.

It's so much fun to be on his ignore list.
post #12 of 37
The last two people holding out will be delighted.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post

What do you mean by "more honest design"? I'm not trying to be contrary...just curious about what you meant. I agree that it'd be cool to see the interior...though I suppose the view might just be the battery, and not quite as impressive as the gears of a watch.

It's a design term. Some schools of design take the position that a material should always be used as what it is and that this is "more honest design."

So if you ascribe to this, then plastic should never be made to appear as wood, or metal (as in fake woodgrain or "pretend" metal bits etc.), and every material is just used plain, as it is. Paint is especially considered "fake" in that it's not required, it merely "dresses up" the design. The iPhone 4 is a great example of this way of thinking in that it uses primary materials like steel and glass and uses them in a very straightforward way.

I'm probably not explaining it very well but the idea is to use materials as what they are with the properties that they would naturally have as a result of that. So the black glass falls into this in that it's not really black glass, it's just regular glass with black paint on the back and the paint is technically not necessary for the phone to function, but is instead more of a decorative touch.

It's a minor quibble I know.
I'm just saying that I would buy one (and possibly 0.01% of the addressable market is with me).
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I suspect many more than that were holding out but will now merely wait 3 extra months for an iPhone5.
Lost opportunity.
post #15 of 37
Papermaster?
Quote:

Besides I wouldn't call it a fiasco if QC caught the issue before release. Whatever that problem might have been. Anymore I'm not sure which rumor to believe about the delay.

In any event I'm surprised that they are even bothering. IPhone 5 isn't that far away. I say that sitting here with a white iPhone 3G too.
post #16 of 37
What's with the Flash ads that are overlayed right onto the AI home page?
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

What's with the Flash ads that are overlayed right onto the AI home page?

Sshhhh don't ask that- you might awaken him.
post #18 of 37
The 27th is a no go. Mark my words, won't happen. The 26th perhaps but not the 27th. They would want to maximize sales potential with two weekend days.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #19 of 37
Didn't we hear this before?

The 'White iPhone' is the Mac G5 IBM PowerPC "Within 12 months, we will be at 3GHz," Jobs said. "Believe me, this architecture has legs." of our day.

Believe it when we see it!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #20 of 37
I am one of those two. My 3GS is still going strong. I'm just going to wait for June/July.

Quote:

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Part of the problem has been due to light leakage (if we can believe previous stories). Clear tends to be even more difficult to use as a light barrier than white. I would tend to think a redesign would be required (maybe not major) which makes it much more than just leaving the paint off. Also the thickness of the paint is taken into account, or possibly not, in this case, when building this type of device so that creates another sticking issue. (Sorry for the puns, I couldn't help myself.)
post #22 of 37
I was thinking why now as rumors of iPhone 5 pervail but I guess if they did come out with 5, they'd punt the 3GS and lower the 4 to it's price point.
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

That's not true. I enjoy black, asian, hispanic and white women.
post #24 of 37
I've never seen the appeal of a white iPhone. The 3GS with a black front and white back looks particularly weird to me. The completely white iPhone 4 doesn't look weird, but I still wouldn't want it.
post #25 of 37
Less than six months away from the release of the iPhone G5. They did that with the Verizon iPhone but wasn't much of a case change. It's release may indicate that the G5 won't be a major case redesign. Why would it be anyway since that design will only be a year old then anyway?
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's so much fun to be on his ignore list.

Yeah, it's great--until everyone quotes him...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

He can't resist; hence my ignore list.
post #28 of 37
I really don't see how this is of any real significance. There are quite a few sites that allow you to order replacement parts on your iphone 4 cheap and also customize it in the process-everything from cases to the glass back (change colors etc.) for $12. Im more concerned with the stock taking a nose-dive after the health concerns of the founder. I know it will bounce back (as I hope Job's does too) but "white iphone" ...who really cares?
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Folks that troll and provoke like iLiver can't help it. They lack the social skills necessary to be productive with real people in the real world, hence they need to feel like somebody by infesting forums like AI.

It's a badge of honor to be on his ignore list. He's one of the more persistent smudges out there.
post #30 of 37
Why do these Best Buy Mr. Blurrycam photos continue to generate news? Contrary to reports, the Best Buy data entry CLERK does not have a red phone connected to Apple HQ.
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That's not true. I enjoy black, asian, hispanic and white women.

Yes, Grasshopper .... but do they enjoy you? .....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Yes, Grasshopper .... but do they enjoy you? .....

Hahaha....who cares. They're paid to leave when done, not stick around.
post #33 of 37
Quote:

Quote:

I suspect many more than that were holding out but will now merely wait 3 extra months for an iPhone5.
Lost opportunity.

I Am Not Holding Out.

I Will Be The Owner of Both White and Black ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?

Simply Because " PRECIOUS & FEW "!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Have NO INTEREST in i-Phone 5!

Probably I'll Take i-Phone 6, But NO THANK i-Phone 5!

Even If It's Upgraded, THEY'RE Incremental Additions!

ONLY i-Phone 4 Can Claim ITSELF To Be " Epoch-Making Super Unpararrelled Smart Phone EVER "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMOKO View Post

ONLY i-Phone 4 Can Claim ITSELF To Be " Epoch-Making Super Unpararrelled Smart Phone EVER "

I'd like you to tell me that you know this is a joke, please. It's impossible to determine outright.

Also, I'd like you to stop using millions of the wrong type of exclamation mark, but one step at a time.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd like you to tell me that you know this is a joke, please. It's impossible to determine outright.

I'm Wondering Where You HAVE BEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Now You Can TELL Me WHAT WAS YOUR ESTIMATE of i-Pad Selling Before Its Actual Launch, Shall We?????????????????
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMOKO View Post

I'm Wondering Where You HAVE BEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Now You Can TELL Me WHAT WAS YOUR ESTIMATE of i-Pad Selling Before Its Actual Launch, Shall We?????????????????

No. I couldn't care less. What does it matter? It has nothing to do with this thread.

post #37 of 37
Who's going to buy a white iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 is already around the corner? What a waste of digital space.
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Evidence points toward potential Feb. 27 launch of Apple's white iPhone 4
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Evidence points toward potential Feb. 27 launch of Apple's white iPhone 4