or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Your ideas, hopes and links for green travel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your ideas, hopes and links for green travel. - Page 8

post #281 of 318

Looks to me like he's implying that wind power only works when there's wind blowing. And that's essentially correct.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #282 of 318

Ah yes, the "technically and superficially correct but completely oversimplified, thus missing the goddamn point and failing to ask intelligent, appropriate questions" argument.  

 

Better go tear down all the solar panels because they don't work at night, too.  Yes, let's all use the logic and reasoning ability of a two year old.  That'll serve our country well.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #283 of 318

What might serve your country better is an ability to reason and discuss matters calmly among people with whom you disagree. For example, you could have simply posted a study or discussion paper showing how wind energy limitations compares to other forms of energy production.

 

Or simply and calmly pointed out that wind can supplement, but not entirely replace, other sources.

 

There's a time for anger and sarcasm. But using them 24/7 - as you do here - does not help anyone.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #284 of 318

I see BR is angry and bitter. Again. If only we could harness his bitterness and anger as an energy source we need not want for energy every again.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #285 of 318

Ah, MJ's catchphrase these days when he knows his arguments are childish and would rather focus on my tone to sidestep the criticism.  

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #286 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What might serve your country better is an ability to reason and discuss matters calmly among people with whom you disagree. For example, you could have simply posted a study or discussion paper showing how wind energy limitations compares to other forms of energy production.

 

Or simply and calmly pointed out that wind can supplement, but not entirely replace, other sources.

 

There's a time for anger and sarcasm. But using them 24/7 - as you do here - does not help anyone.

I assume you will say the same thing to MJ?  Or is your partisan hackery showing again?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #287 of 318

What criticism? I pointed out a pertinent fact. You responded by basically dismissing this fact*, picking a nit on a minor spelling error and calling me dumb and childish. There's not much to respond to there except to observe the anger and bitterness that appears to motivate nearly all of your posts. Especially those aimed at me.

 

You'd crack me up if I didn't feel so sorry for you.

 

*Actually you would have been on better footing if you had at least done that (explicitly). Instead you simply jumped to insults.


Edited by MJ1970 - 5/22/13 at 4:10pm

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #288 of 318
Quick, alert the engineers that wind-powered energy sources don't harvest energy when it's not windy! If not for MJ pointing this out, it's unlikely anyone would have even thought of that, let alone incorporated that fact in their designs and energy production projections! Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Thanks, MJ. You sure saved us from disaster there with your amazing, not at all totally fucking obvious insight.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #289 of 318

How delightful...a strawman and sarcasm in one post. Congratulations! Your posts are becoming more vacuous by the day.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #290 of 318

Funny.  Your entire post was really the strawman acting as if you made some fucking profound point.  What's ironic is that your comment, with the silly, sarcastic use of the image, is one of the most most vacuous arguments against utilizing wind power that exists.

 

MJ, when building your house, it's great to have large windows to let light in.  But, you know when windows don't help?

 

night-sky.jpg

 

Take that, you pro-window people!

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #291 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Funny.  Your entire post was really the strawman acting as if you made some fucking profound point.

 

Try to keep up sweetie. Stating a fact is not a straw man. Try again.

 

Furthermore, I'm so sorry that the statement of this fact has upset you so deeply. Perhaps some counseling will help.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

MJ, when building your house, it's great to have large windows to let light in.  But, you know when windows don't help?

 

Take that, you pro-window people!

 

1rolleyes.gif

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #292 of 318

No, the strawman is painting the designers as being FUCKING IDIOTS who never thought that wind power doesn't work when it's not windy.  

 

Your profound revelation was fucking obvious and pointless to even bring up, cupcake.  It was just as worthy of an eyeroll as my comment about windows.

 

You know when water wheels don't work?

 

.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbEvRl5CADgzwAULnElQosQEpAThZB4Efed9RnDPfxN9E3JZ_A1g

 

That's some varsity MJ level profundity right there.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #293 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

No, the strawman is painting the designers as being FUCKING IDIOTS who never thought that wind power doesn't work when it's not windy.

 

Sorry darling, you can't make your inference my straw man.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Your profound revelation was fucking obvious and pointless to even bring up, cupcake.

 

And yet, you've spent so much of your anger, bitterness and energy responding to it. Pointless as you think it was, you've made a point out of it. How ironic is that?

 

Well, I suggest counseling for your anger, bitterness and obsession with repeatedly responding to what you believe to be pointless comments that you could easily ignore.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #294 of 318

Cars have an Achilles heel.

 

fuel-tank-empty.jpg

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #295 of 318

I suggest that MJ's attitude of dismissing green technology based on arguments that demonstrate the depth of insight of a remedial toddler is far too pervasive and accepted in American culture.  These are ridiculous arguments in the most literal sense--they are arguments that are worthy of ridicule.  People need to be called out for the ignorant shit they say.  

 

I'd lean toward giving someone who is truly ignorant the benefit of the doubt, but MJ has a track record of looking the evidence in the face and still dismissing it.  He still won't comment on the age of Earth after having been informed of the scientific evidence.  That level of obstinate science denial cannot be allowed to go unchallenged--not necessarily that he will change his mind, but that those reading quietly on the sidelines will maybe learn.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #296 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Cars have an Achilles heel.

 

fuel-tank-empty.jpg

 

Quite true. Of course, the solution is usually only a couple blocks away in a (usually) fully-stocked gas station.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #297 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

People need to be called out for the ignorant shit they say.

 

I agree 100%. Which is why I so frequently feel the need to call you out.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I'd lean toward giving someone who is truly ignorant the benefit of the doubt, but MJ has a track record of looking the evidence in the face and still dismissing it.  He still won't comment on the age of Earth after having been informed of the scientific evidence.

 

I understand that you don't have anything real or substantial to hold against me. And you clearly have an obsession with me, but must you continue to lie about me? This only makes you look foolish (and not a little desperate.) Again, perhaps some counseling may help.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #298 of 318

Shocking that something so obvious would be taken into account and infrastructure designed around it.  No way that line of thought would happen within the green energy sector.  Shit, you better stop blabbing here on this forum and go sell yourself as a consultant to those wind energy companies.  They need your genius insights and will undoubtedly pay you heftily for them.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #299 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

I agree 100%. Which is why I so frequently feel the need to call you out.

 

 

 

I understand that you don't have anything real or substantial to hold against me. And you clearly have an obsession with me, but must you continue to lie about me? This only makes you look foolish (and not a little desperate.) Again, perhaps some counseling may help.

How old is the Earth?  "I don't know" is a willfully ignorant answer because you have been shown the age, which is thoroughly backed by scientific evidence.  If you have forgotten, the wikipedia entry is correct.  You can use your adult reference skills to find it again.  Any response other than the number backed by scientific evidence demonstrates you are the unrepentant liar.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #300 of 318

The sense of sight has an Achilles heel.

 

19EAM.jpg

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #301 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

How old is the Earth?  "I don't know" is a willfully ignorant answer because you have been shown the age, which is thoroughly backed by scientific evidence.  If you have forgotten, the wikipedia entry is correct.  You can use your adult reference skills to find it again.  Any response other than the number backed by scientific evidence demonstrates you are the unrepentant liar.

 

I'm sorry that my completely honest answer of "I don't know" is unacceptable to you and that my unwillingness to be brow-beaten by you into giving an answer based on evidence you have presented but which I've not taken the time to thoroughly review and interpret upsets you so deeply. Again, this part of your obsession could be remediated through counseling or, possibly, medication.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #302 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

I'm sorry that my completely honest answer of "I don't know" is unacceptable to you and that my unwillingness to be brow-beaten by you into giving an answer based on evidence you have presented but which I've not taken the time to thoroughly review and interpret upsets you so deeply. Again, this part of your obsession could be remediated through counseling or, possibly, medication.

 

 

Quote:
Earth
Planet
Earth is the third planet from the Sun, and the densest and fifth-largest of the eight planets in the Solar System. It is also the largest of the Solar System's four terrestrial planets. It is sometimes referred to as the world or the Blue Planet. Wikipedia
Radius3,959 miles (6,371 km)
Age4.54 billion years
Mass5.972E24 kg
Area196.9 million sq miles (510.1 million km²)
Surface area196.9 million sq miles (510.1 million km²)
Population6.974 billion (2011) World Bank

 

How old is the Earth?  There's really no debate unless you are a crazy religious nut.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #303 of 318

Counseling BR. Give it some serious consideration.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #304 of 318

Being so suspicious of science that even something as thoroughly supported as the age of the Earth is seriously questioned without contradicting evidence is not normal. But on religion it is. Religion. Not even once.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #305 of 318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Artist renderings look cool (they always do.) Wind power, however, has an Achilles heal:

 

That's why we need new alternatives like the Stockholm skyscrapers. In some places turbines look great and in other places they don't. I'm sure the same will be the case with this.

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #306 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That's why we need new alternatives like the Stockholm skyscrapers.

 

I think that project looks great. Quite cool in fact (if you'll pardon the seeming pun.) It is definitely an unique and innovative idea. I hope it works out to achieve their goals.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #307 of 318

Has anyone posted LFTR yet? (Please excuse my brief skim past lots of pages if it was)

 

 

The achilles-heel of that would be the availability of Thorium, Uranium, nuclear stockpiles, nuclear waste, etc. 


Edited by sp0ngebath - 6/12/13 at 8:30am
post #308 of 318

Here's a site that has many guides and links on how to convert energy DIY.

_ _ _

 

More in line with the topic, here's one of my favorite "green" travel methods 

The guy's site, with build-instructions...

_ _ _

 

I have actually looked into making a fossil-fuel to electric conversion business along the lines of http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-your-own-Electric-Car/, but you wouldn't believe the paperwork and startup fees, licensing, etc. involved in just taking engine, fuel-systems, and radiator out of a car, and replacing them with an e-motor, voltage-regulator, and batteries. For some real savings, I would then take a small diesel-generator and recharge the batteries on the go, just like diesel-trains have been efficiently doing for the last 100 years.

 

Gee, I wonder why there are almost no companies doing this kind of stuff?

post #309 of 318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0ngebath View Post

Here's a site that has many guides and links on how to convert energy DIY.

_ _ _

 

More in line with the topic, here's one of my favorite "green" travel methods 

The guy's site, with build-instructions...

_ _ _

 

I have actually looked into making a fossil-fuel to electric conversion business along the lines of http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-your-own-Electric-Car/, but you wouldn't believe the paperwork and startup fees, licensing, etc. involved in just taking engine, fuel-systems, and radiator out of a car, and replacing them with an e-motor, voltage-regulator, and batteries. For some real savings, I would then take a small diesel-generator and recharge the batteries on the go, just like diesel-trains have been efficiently doing for the last 100 years.

 

Gee, I wonder why there are almost no companies doing this kind of stuff?

 

Good for you! I'm sure you can make it work if you keep at it. 

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #310 of 318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0ngebath View Post

Has anyone posted LFTR yet? (Please excuse my brief skim past lots of pages if it was)

 

 

The achilles-heel of that would be the availability of Thorium, Uranium, nuclear stockpiles, nuclear waste, etc. 

It's been discussed here whilst I've been here, to a degree. Either the Fukishima or Climategate threads probably- http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/120466/failsafe-nuclear-power-stations-fail-in-japan  or http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/104998/climategate

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #311 of 318
Thread Starter 
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #312 of 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

The RYNO, pictured, is a one-wheeled, battery-powered scooter that can travel of speeds up to 25mph.

 

I love that we live in world with such advanced technological capabilities as this. This is one of those things where you realize how amazing software and modern semiconductor chips really are. Those are the things that make possible things that are virtually impossible without them. Not just this example but some many others...cars that are much more efficient (hybrid or not). Airplanes that are significantly better, faster and more efficient than would be possible without such technology. Telecom systems. Manufacturing plants. Etc. Etc. And it keeps getting better as the technology gets cheaper and smaller and so on and as more people come online from all over the world like China and India and others to be software and hardware engineers to make all of this happen. Add to this stuff like cheap 3D printers in the hands of more and more creative and inventive people that was ever possible before and we'll see even more amazing products (high and low tech.)

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #313 of 318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

I love that we live in world with such advanced technological capabilities as this. This is one of those things where you realize how amazing software and modern semiconductor chips really are. Those are the things that make possible things that are virtually impossible without them. Not just this example but some many others...cars that are much more efficient (hybrid or not). Airplanes that are significantly better, faster and more efficient than would be possible without such technology. Telecom systems. Manufacturing plants. Etc. Etc. And it keeps getting better as the technology gets cheaper and smaller and so on and as more people come online from all over the world like China and India and others to be software and hardware engineers to make all of this happen. Add to this stuff like cheap 3D printers in the hands of more and more creative and inventive people that was ever possible before and we'll see even more amazing products (high and low tech.)

Couldn't agree more. 

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #314 of 318
Thread Starter 

"With streets and Tube trains packed with workers and tourists jostling for space, central London can be anything but relaxing.

But an oasis of calm away from packed public transport could soon be on its way with a piece of countryside set to land on the River Thames.
Thomas Heatherwick, the creator of the London 2012 Olympic cauldron, has unveiled plans for a £60million bridge full of trees and flower beds to span the river from Temple to the South Bank.
It would be the first new crossing across the Thames since the 'wobbly' Millennium Bridge opened in 2002 and London's answer to New York's High Line, where a disused train line has been transformed into a lush aerial park."
 

A computer-generated image shows how a garden bridge across the River Thames could look. Olympic cauldron designer Thomas Heatherwick is looking for backing for the £60million project

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2377506/London-Olympic-Cauldron-designer-Thomas-Heatherwicks-60m-plan-Thames-pedestrian-garden-bridge.html

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #315 of 318

We used to have a specific thread for train and monorail ideas, but I figured that instead of dredging up the old one, this thread will do.

 

Elon Musk presents the Hyperloop. Seems like of amusement park-ish to me, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work.

 

It is focused on the LA to San Fran route, but up here it could easily be the solution for the high speed train between Toronto and Montreal they keep threatening to build every decade or so.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #316 of 318

Cheap way to get around  town.
 

post #317 of 318

All these fixed infrastructure ideas fail at the first and last mile. Trains, busses and the like only run on their schedule not yours. These solutions might see a resurgence if they can run on request and the self driving car can solve the first/last mile problem. 

post #318 of 318

You are correct have some type of courtesy and not be curt to others.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Your ideas, hopes and links for green travel.