or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues second beta of iOS 4.3, says new gestures just a preview
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple issues second beta of iOS 4.3, says new gestures just a preview

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday released to developers the second external beta of its upcoming iOS 4.3, as well as a new pre-release copy of Apple TV software designed to support the mobile operating system's new AirPlay feature for third-party programmers. It also informed developers that some features present in the initial beta won't make it into the 4.3 release

The new beta of iOS 4.3 carries build number 9F5135d and is available for all three of Apple's iOS devices -- the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Thus far, it's too early to tell what changes may come baked into the release when compared to the first beta, released exactly one week ago.

The first beta of iOS 4.3 introduced a personal hotspot control panel, new multitouch gestures for the iPad, and updated SMS alert settings. Resource files accompanying the release also provided hints at a handful of new iPad and iPhone models, as well as a potential "Find My Friends" social networking feature.

It should be noted, however, that the multi-touch gestures that made their debut in the first beta won't be ready for prime time by the final release of iOS 4.3, according to a note to developers accompanying the release of the second beta.

"This feature will not be enabled in iOS 4.3 for customers," the documentation reads, "but we are providing this preview to gather input on how these gestures work with your apps."

Readers interested in the rest of the discoveries made last week can turn to AppleInsider's First Look at iOS 4.3.

The New Multi-touch Gestures


post #2 of 41
Quote:
Readers experimenting the new beta are free to submit their findings.

Nevermind the fact that anyone using the beta is supposed to be bound by the developer agreement and treat all information about said beta as confidential.
post #3 of 41
Just add Apps.

The major downside would be a problem with display on widescreen TV's which have a different aspect ratio to other iOS devices.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #4 of 41
I still feel that the gestures are a real preview of a new notification system. The reason they want the developers to test them is to see if it messes up their apps. Fruit ninja comes to mind.
post #5 of 41
My iPad will not be updated past the betas until these become available. They are just too useful for me to get rid of. As someone who has been stating that iPad doesnt fit me current needs well, these new gestures have altered that feeling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Nevermind the fact that anyone using the beta is supposed to be bound by the developer agreement and treat all information about said beta as confidential.

Ive never minded confidentially agreements.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I still feel that the gestures are a real preview of a new notification system. The reason they want the developers to test them is to see if it messes up their apps. Fruit ninja comes to mind.

I think so too. I think a swipe from the top down would be a great way to access that app from iOS-based iDevices.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My iPad will not be updated past the betas until these become available. They are just too useful for me to get rid of. As someone who has been stating that iPad doesnt fit me current needs well, these new gestures have altered that feeling.

Really? That's a pretty powerful statement. Too bad this announcement means I'll have to wait even longer. Maybe it's worth the $99 admittance fee to be a Dev without even being dev.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think so too. I think a swipe from the top down would be a great way to access that app from iOS-based iDevices.

I think a two finger pinch would be cool for notifications.
post #8 of 41
I just remembered that I questioned why the atypical release of new features were coming out in a point update. I suppose that makes this my fault now. \

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think a two finger pinch would be cool for notifications.

It can’t be two-finger, and probably shouldn’t be three-fingers. Safari and Photos, at least, use the two0finger pinch. I think a quite swipe down, with three or more fingers, over the menu bar would be very effective. I use this now for LockInfo on my iPhone. Very useful for bringing up iCal and weather data, but having it actually show rich notifications would be money*.



* Kids, did I use that term correctly?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"This feature will not be enabled in iOS 4.3 for customers," the documentation reads, "but we are providing this preview to gather input on how these gestures work with your apps."

Why can't Apple adopt the Google School of Software Development and unleash it upon its customers, who can beta test it on the fly?

Why take a long time to provide something good, when you can pump out mediocrity today? Just throw a BETA logo in the upper left-hand corner and call it a day.
post #10 of 41
Well that sucks ass.. I guess we'll see it in iOS 4.4 or 5.0..
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Well that sucks ass.. I guess we'll see it in iOS 4.4 or 5.0..

Id expect it in the iOS version for iPad 2 or iOS 5.0.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 41
edited
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #13 of 41
. . .
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 41
edited
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just remembered that I questioned why the atypical release of new features were coming out in a point update. I suppose that makes this my fault now. \

Very useful for bringing up iCal and weather data, but having it actually show rich notifications would be money*.

* Kids, did I use that term correctly?

This is your fault? You bastard!

And yes, you used it correctly.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #16 of 41
Problem is... 4 finger gestures effectively ban developers to use more than 3 fingers, if 4-5 are reserved by the iOS. I bet 95% only use 1 point input, so it would mostly work really smooth.. But developers should be able to make apps that are free from exposé mis-swipes and override these settings... which kinda defeats its purpose.
Hard one... Great to use in most cases, but fundamentally wrong
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Problem is... 4 finger gestures effectively ban developers to use more than 3 fingers, if 4-5 are reserved by the iOS. I bet 95% only use 1 point input, so it would mostly work really smooth.. But developers should be able to make apps that are free from exposé mis-swipes and override these settings... which kinda defeats its purpose.
Hard one... Great to use in most cases, but fundamentally wrong

Wouldn't that be solved with some sort of override -just as an app that use tilt for input can lock screen orientation so that turning your car hard into a corner would not rotate the device - couldn't a given app override the 4 and 5 figure gestures? Sure it would mean a not entirely consistent user interface across the board - but much better in my opinion to have an app do what it is supposed and leave the OS functionality for times when it is not encroaching on the app's behaviour.
post #18 of 41
Is it just me or does the whole multi-finger gesture thing seem kinda lame. One I understand, two okay I can do that, three gets tricky 4 and 5 no way on an iphone. I use a magic track pad and it is bigger than an iphone and I still have issues with the multiple finger stuff, sometimes remembering how many figures yields the result I want sometimes it is more physically making the gesture without an accidental lift or bad finger contact. I wonder why adding fingers seems to be the way Apple wants to go.

I have used mouse and pen based systems that use gestures (obviously single point) that are more shaped based. This seems much more reasonable to me than the same action with more fingers. Up swipes, down swipes, left and right swipes, pinches are all fine with one finger or two now add diagonals and checkmarks and maybe X and O shapes and some other 'universal' shapes or even numeral or letter shapes that have relevance to the action, though I can see how those are more problematical given language differences.
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdarren View Post

Is it just me or does the whole multi-finger gesture thing seem kinda lame.

It's just you. If we can stop using the home button on the ipad it would sure speed navigating the apps up. The home button is the worst on an Ipad. It really doesn't work well and these gestures are the software fix for that.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Wouldn't that be solved with some sort of override -just as an app that use tilt for input can lock screen orientation so that turning your car hard into a corner would not rotate the device - couldn't a given app override the 4 and 5 figure gestures? Sure it would mean a not entirely consistent user interface across the board - but much better in my opinion to have an app do what it is supposed and leave the OS functionality for times when it is not encroaching on the app's behaviour.

It's interesting because I'm sure Apple would rather set a standard convention for everyone with their spanking new baby iOS. Maybe not, but it must drive them nuts that they ran into that problem with OSX and now you Apps like photoshop and Illustrator for instance that can't follow the standard "command + Shift + S" or "command + H" key commands. Wonder what they will do? Maybe Apple is wondering what to do too and that's he reason for the early release.

We should ask someone who has the beta if there might already be a feature to mitigate this problem in place. Solip?
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My iPad will not be updated past the betas until these become available. They are just too useful for me to get rid of. As someone who has been stating that iPad doesnt fit me current needs well, these new gestures have altered that feeling.

The Betas expire after a certain length of time which will render your iPad useless. Hahaha, I tried it once, I was left with no choice but to update.
post #22 of 41
I kind of expected developments in handwriting recognition by now. Imagine if you could take notes as an image but it would be searchable via OCR/handwriting recognition, kind of like some Google Books.

EVERY COLLEGE STUDENT WOULD BUY AN iPAD. How come they haven't done this?? Perhaps even recognition of what you're trying to draw, like shapes in flow charts. Like translating your scribbles into Visio.

Also perhaps they'll add Flash eventually. Flash isn't going anywhere, from my understanding. It's a huge business platform. Probably the most-used business platform, next only to PDF (another Adobe product) and MS Office. Adding flash to iOS would boost iDevice sales, especially iPad sales to businesses I would think. I don't understand how AAPL shareholders can let Steve Jobs sit back and leave cold hard cash sitting on the table for some weird war. Adobe's suite is one reason MacOS still exists and Apple should be (were) best friends with Adobe.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Also perhaps they'll add Flash eventually. Flash isn't going anywhere, from my understanding. It's a huge business platform. Probably the most-used business platform, next only to PDF (another Adobe product) and MS Office. Adding flash to iOS would boost iDevice sales, especially iPad sales to businesses I would think. I don't understand how AAPL shareholders can let Steve Jobs sit back and leave cold hard cash sitting on the table for some weird war. Adobe's suite is one reason MacOS still exists and Apple should be (were) best friends with Adobe.

When they are selling all that they can build, they are not leaving any money on the table. That nay be an issue in the future but it isn't right now.
post #24 of 41
Maybe it is me that is lame, that I can't do some of the multiple finger gestures with a high degree of reliability....

I do agree it would be nice to do away with the home button at least on the face of the device, that would allow either larger screen or my vote would be for a smaller bezel around a slightly smaller but higher resolution display.

I find that the ipad is physically too large for me to tote around as much as I wold like, and having used some of the 7 inch units their size is more portable for me even though I am at the point where vision is starting to degrade. I would not want to give up the functionality of the big screen. In ten years maybe I'll change my tune as my eyesight will doubtless degrade and that bigger size will be an acceptable trade off but for now a slight reduction in size and full screen use of the available area with the smallest possible bezel would make the ipad even more perfect for me.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdarren View Post

Is it just me or does the whole multi-finger gesture thing seem kinda lame. One I understand, two okay I can do that, three gets tricky 4 and 5 no way on an iphone. I use a magic track pad and it is bigger than an iphone and I still have issues with the multiple finger stuff, sometimes remembering how many figures yields the result I want sometimes it is more physically making the gesture without an accidental lift or bad finger contact. I wonder why adding fingers seems to be the way Apple wants to go.

I have used mouse and pen based systems that use gestures (obviously single point) that are more shaped based. This seems much more reasonable to me than the same action with more fingers. Up swipes, down swipes, left and right swipes, pinches are all fine with one finger or two now add diagonals and checkmarks and maybe X and O shapes and some other 'universal' shapes or even numeral or letter shapes that have relevance to the action, though I can see how those are more problematical given language differences.

Well, yes and no. I use one, two, three and four finger swipes on my MBP trackpad and find it annoying when I get on an old machine that doesn't support these gestures. But four or five finger gestures on an iPhone would be pushing it. Your digits have to be very pointy to fit four on a vertically held iphone on a downward swipe. On the iPad multi finger gestures should work fine.

It is interesting how touch and gesture based input is becoming a natural part of computer interaction. At first I found it quite unnatural. I found it hard to see beyond the mouse and keyboard. But over time that's all changed. I have an e-reader which doesn't have touch input and though I love the reader, using buttons and a 'navigation button' (left right up down) feels archaic and very 'wrong'.

I have avoided adding more gestures and input options to my magic mouse as I am unsure I'd bother to use them but I am warming to a magic track pad. Most of us have two functional arms and wrists and ten fingers and yet we spend most of the time using one arm and one wrist/hand and mostly two fingers to interact with our computer. Things will be very different 5 years from now, I suspect.
post #26 of 41
I have mixed feelings about the new gestures. My only concern is that it might limit the developers access to such gestures. So I think Apple made a good move by seeding this to developers first. This way they can test it and look for possible work arounds if it does create problems.
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I kind of expected developments in handwriting recognition by now. Imagine if you could take notes as an image but it would be searchable via OCR/handwriting recognition, kind of like some Google Books.

EVERY COLLEGE STUDENT WOULD BUY AN iPAD. How come they haven't done this?? Perhaps even recognition of what you're trying to draw, like shapes in flow charts. Like translating your scribbles into Visio.

You can!!!! Just not as part of the OS itself.

1) Squiggle into a graphic app, taking notes with a stylus ($11.96 on sale this week at OWC).
2) Upload it into Evernote.
3) Wait a few minutes. It has been OCR'ed for you!

It works with text in photos too. Once its OCR'ed it's searchable in Evernote.

Seems like this could be an Apple commercial or YouTube viral topic to get the word out.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #28 of 41
Re: gestures, seems it might be useful for apple to start using that fingerworks tech to recognise which fingers are being used. Seems like a good step to use the area of the screen being touched, and the relative angles, motion, position, dimensions, vectors to determine the specific fingers in play. Imagine it would take a ridiculous amount of testing, tweaking, especially considering problems people have just with multi-finger swipes. But then, it might work more reliably, especially if somewhat limited in scope.

Whilst the three, four, five finger gestures to bring up a notifications panel is cool, why they haven't just made a frickin panel already is beyond me. Whilst the multitasking tray is open, what is 80% of the screen is being used for? Seems like a waste for "cancel", unless there are lots of novice users accidentally invoking it.

Back to the mac? I'd like to see mission control/exposé/dashboard/live "window" previews on the multitasking screen, spotlight? There's something to the widgets and previews views of android, webOS, but it's not what they've done. It'd be great to be able to quickly pop out to mission control from mail, preview the safari/notes/whatever page I'm referencing and pop back, no switching. It's all there in Apple's repository and OS X, it'll come I guess. Just hope Steve's around to see it all released \
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post


Whilst the three, four, five finger gestures to bring up a notifications panel is cool, why they haven't just made a frickin panel already is beyond me. Whilst the multitasking tray is open, what is 80% of the screen is being used for? Seems like a waste for "cancel", unless there are lots of novice users accidentally invoking it.

I think we will see the notification system in iOS 5. Apple needed to tackle multitasking first, which they did in iOS 4. They will need a whole new API and UI for widget/notification system. My thinking is when you swipe up you get multitasking bar and when you swipe down the status bar moves down revealing the global notification system. This is possible with the iPad using four fingers but I have no idea how they can deal with it on the iPhone/iPod touch.
post #30 of 41
As a quick aside, I'll just note that I got my hands on one of the competitors 7" tablets a few days ago and was utterly unimpressed by it's sluggish response. iPad wins again.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #31 of 41
Aka they are saving them for iPad 2. Or they will release them when the release the iOS that goes along with iPad 2 for iPad 1.
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Why can't Apple adopt the Google School of Software Development and unleash it upon its customers, who can beta test it on the fly?

Because apple doesn't want to treat their customers like garbage? Sorry, but I don't want to be apple's free beta tester. I want a finished product that actually works.

IMHO google's releases fail (wave anyone?) because they don't bother to get it right at the beginning, BEFORE they release it to the world.
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think a two finger pinch would be cool for notifications.

How do you even finish this sentence without thinking, Duh, this can't happen. ?
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Just add Apps.

The major downside would be a problem with display on widescreen TV's which have a different aspect ratio to other iOS devices.

Unless you are mirroring your devices screen what you say makes no sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you? Apps that only support 4:3 aspect I assume? That's in the hands of the developer, that's not Apple's problem.
post #35 of 41
deleted
post #36 of 41
I think a cool gesture for a cookbook app would include a 'pinch of salt' and a 'dash of pepper'.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #37 of 41
I've been using an app called FlyGesture. I'd rather see something like this that I can see on the monitor rather than on an input device. I don't want to learn umpteen gestures that don't always work even after taking my eyes off the monitor.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...71003073516550
FlyGesture works a lot like Automator. You can create a single action, or chains of actions to be invoked by the simple movements of your mouse. ...
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You can!!!! Just not as part of the OS itself.

1) Squiggle into a graphic app, taking notes with a stylus ($11.96 on sale this week at OWC).
2) Upload it into Evernote.
3) Wait a few minutes. It has been OCR'ed for you!

It works with text in photos too. Once its OCR'ed it's searchable in Evernote.

Seems like this could be an Apple commercial or YouTube viral topic to get the word out.

Thanks Hiro! That's really awesome, I had not heard of this. You deserve a commission! If iPad 2 were not around the corner I would get one right now for class. But when iPad 2 comes out, I will probably get one for notes for class. This is great, worth it to me.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You can!!!! Just not as part of the OS itself.

1) Squiggle into a graphic app, taking notes with a stylus ($11.96 on sale this week at OWC).
2) Upload it into Evernote.
3) Wait a few minutes. It has been OCR'ed for you!

It works with text in photos too. Once its OCR'ed it's searchable in Evernote.

Seems like this could be an Apple commercial or YouTube viral topic to get the word out.

Okay, just DLed Evernote for iPad. What is the link to this stylus and are there better styli than the one you mentioned or is that a non-issue here.


edit:
• Ten One Design, $11.96 — http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Ten%2...ign/TIAP25102/
• Griffen, $17.29 — http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Griff...ology/GC16040/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 41
Anyone getting an unknown error 1651 when connecting their IP4 to iTunes? iTunes could not check for an update to your carrier settings blah blah.

Apple Website help is useless unless you buy the extended help plan.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues second beta of iOS 4.3, says new gestures just a preview