or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iOS 4.3 adds new Photo Stream service, iPad FaceTime and PhotoBooth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 4.3 adds new Photo Stream service, iPad FaceTime and PhotoBooth - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

So you don't think Apple will sell any iPad 2's with cameras until late July? That is possible, but I think highly unlikely. I would bet the new iPad is out before the new iPhone and iOS 5.0 which is why they are putting iPad 2 hardware features in iOS 4.3.

The better question is are they really putting a rear facing camera on a tablet? Front facing is a no brainer, but are people really going to use a 9" tablet to take photos and videos?

And if you only have a rear facing camera, what is the difference between "camera" app and the photo booth app?

Btw: all iPhones will be given away for free this year - truth! With the new automatic cloud sync the new data plans START at 2 GB and go up from there. Don't worry if you go over, your credit card will automatically be billed for a reload.
post #42 of 53
MobileMe should be free. And we already pay for it. That's part of the huge mark-up we pay for buying Apple. The slight dip in profits would sure benefit the users, and give us a huge advantage over the competition.

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

MobileMe should be free. And we already pay for it. That's part of the huge mark-up we pay for buying Apple. The slight dip in profits would sure benefit the users, and give us a huge advantage over the competition.

Explain that to me. It should be free because you want it to be free? You already pay for it, but since you arent required to pay for it then why do you? And why should a company take less profits to benefit users? They arent altruistic. They sell for the sole purpose of making money.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Explain that to me. It should be free because you want it to be free? You already pay for it, but since you arent required to pay for it then why do you? And why should a company take less profits to benefit users? They arent altruistic. They sell for the sole purpose of making money.

Just like iLife, MobileMe should be included in the price of a Mac. It should be the benefit of a Mac (and iOS device). We are already paying more than enough for these machines.

Not sure why most folks on this board get wood when they see Apple make a grossly immense profit ($2billion this quarter?). Only a very small percentage of users are stockholders. The rest of us are simply paying much more than we should, and Apple is hoarding billions of our dollars in their bank account.

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Just like iLife, MobileMe should be included in the price of a Mac. It should be the benefit of a Mac (and iOS device). We are already paying more than enough for these machines.

Not sure why most folks on this board get wood when they see Apple make a grossly immense profit ($2billion this quarter?). Only a very small percentage of users are stockholders. The rest of us are simply paying much more than we should, and Apple is hoarding billions of our dollars in their bank account.

Should? Because you want something for free it should be given to you? Again, explain to us why Apple should be required to give away something it wants to sell.

Also, explain why you word the purchase of Apple products as some requirement that precludes your ability to make a choice in the matter.

From my perch in reality I see you have a choice in what to buy. If you think Apples product cost too much for the value they offer you then there hundreds if not thousands of other products to choose from. If those dont suit your needs then and you feel there is a hole in the market then this glorious free market allows those with desire, aptitude and vision to fill that void.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Should? Because you want something for free it should be given to you? Again, explain to us why Apple should be required to give away something it wants to sell.

Also, explain why you word the purchase of Apple products as some requirement that precludes your ability to make a choice in the matter.

From my perch in reality I see you have a choice in what to buy. If you think Apples product cost too much for the value they offer you then there hundreds if not thousands of other products to choose from. If those dont suit your needs then and you feel there is a hole in the market then this glorious free market allows those with desire, aptitude and vision to fill that void.

That sounds wonderful and would make an A+ lecture in Economics 101. I'll just buy a PC (my single other choice) and transfer all my Mac, iOS, and protected iTunes content right over. Incompatible? Oh crap this just got alot more expensive and involved than it sounds. This isn't as easy as buying brand X car over brand Y. Those both drive on the same roads and can be parked in the same garage. Mac, Windows, Android, etc do not always follow the same rules as buying a Kenmore dryer over a Maytag.

Making a profit is important and expected. Making a disgustingly huge profit highlights the dark nature of capitalism (yes there is one). When a company makes so much profit they don't even know what to do with it (Apple), it is time to give something back to society/your highly loyal customers.

I take it Apple should stop including iLife with their Macs for free, too. Potential for some profit there... more cash to part us with and put in the bank.

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

That sounds wonderful and would make an A+ lecture in Economics 101.

I think a course in economics would do you some good. You should look into that.

Quote:
I'll just buy a PC (my single other choice) and transfer all my Mac, iOS, and protected iTunes content right over. Incompatible? Oh crap this just got alot more expensive and involved than it sounds. This isn't as easy as buying brand X car over brand Y. Those both drive on the same roads and can be parked in the same garage. Mac, Windows, Android, etc do not always follow the same rules as buying a Kenmore dryer over a Maytag.

So you choose to use Mac OS X even though the OS isnt the most common OS and that its not licensed by another company. STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR SHORTCOMINGS!

Quote:
Making a profit is important and expected. Making a disgustingly huge profit highlights the dark nature of capitalism (yes there is one). When a company makes so much profit they don't even know what to do with it (Apple), it is time to give something back to society/your highly loyal customers.

Seriously, take a fraking economics course. Learn how the adult world works. If an item is priced too high for its value then it wont sell well. Your sidea that including the $60/year MobileMe will somehow make a PC with average retail price of $1,400 all better is ridiculous. If you dont think Macs are worth what you get for them THEN DONT FRAKING BUY THEM. If you really want the services of MobileMe without paying for them THEN USE THE PLETHORA OF FREE AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES. I dont care what you do, so long as you quit whining about it.

Quote:
I take it Apple should stop including iLife with their Macs for free, too. Potential for some profit there... more cash to part us with and put in the bank.

They dont include iLife for free. They include it as a way to HELP SELL MORE MACS. Its factored into the price. Whats not included is any new editions of iLife that come out that are compatible with the version of Mac OS X your Mac can run, save for those that purchased a Mac in the last couple weeks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Should? Because you want something for free it should be given to you? Again, explain to us why Apple should be required to give away something it wants to sell.

Also, explain why you word the purchase of Apple products as some requirement that precludes your ability to make a choice in the matter.

From my perch in reality I see you have a choice in what to buy. If you think Apples product cost too much for the value they offer you then there hundreds if not thousands of other products to choose from. If those dont suit your needs then and you feel there is a hole in the market then this glorious free market allows those with desire, aptitude and vision to fill that void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think a course in economics would do you some good. You should look into that.


So you choose to use Mac OS X even though the OS isnt the most common OS and that its not licensed by another company. STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR SHORTCOMINGS!


Seriously, take a fraking economics course. Learn how the adult world works. If an item is priced too high for its value then it wont sell well. Your sidea that including the $60/year MobileMe will somehow make a PC with average retail price of $1,400 all better is ridiculous. If you dont think Macs are worth what you get for them THEN DONT FRAKING BUY THEM. If you really want the services of MobileMe without paying for them THEN USE THE PLETHORA OF FREE AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES. I dont care what you do, so long as you quit whining about it.


They dont include iLife for free. They include it as a way to HELP SELL MORE MACS. Its factored into the price. Whats not included is any new editions of iLife that come out that are compatible with the version of Mac OS X your Mac can run, save for those that purchased a Mac in the last couple weeks.


Apple lately has in fact been making more money than they know what to do with. They simply throw it in the pile with the rest of it. Think Scrooge McDuck.

In my opinion, they could/should be using their immense profit margins and mountains of cash (no debt) for something productive. How about bringing "The Cloud" to every Apple user by shipping MobileMe "free" on every device? Would that not help sell more Macs?

I don't need to hear the party line of how incorruptable the free market and capitalism are (they certainly are not, and neither are the other isms but they all have certain merits).

I just noticed you have 21 THOUSAND posts on this forum. Wow. Seriously? Done.

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

How about bringing "The Cloud" to every Apple user by shipping MobileMe "free" on every device? Would that not help sell more Macs?.

Maybe, but thats not your call to make. Its also not what you originally stated, which was that they should do it to limit their profit because they are making way too much, IYO.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe, but thats not your call to make. Its also not what you originally stated, which was that they should do it to limit their profit because they are making way too much, IYO.

Not my call to make? Really? Darn, I thought I was CEO of Apple all this time. Aren't these forums for observations, opinions, and conjecture on Apple? What have you been doing with those 12 posts a day every day for the last 5 years if not that?

My original post was that Apple should give MobileMe away for free, and it would not impact their finances any appreciable amount. They should give away alot more, IMO.

How about real video cards in all Macs? No fun not being able to play Civ 5 on my brand new Mac Mini.

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

My original post was that Apple should give MobileMe away for free, and it would not impact their finances any appreciable amount. They should give away alot more, IMO.

As a shareholder, I completely disagree with you. Yes, I would like that mountain of cash to be made more productive but giving things away is not productive. You see, some small smidgeon of that cash pile indirectly belongs to me but not to someone who just so happens to purchase an Apple product.
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Apple could offer an expanding set of online services for messaging, syncing and storing data online, etc, exposed through APIs in iOS that any app developer can exploit without having to think about backend development. I think this idea is potentially radical and disruptive because they'd be essentially usurping the normal web paradigm.

You mean like Amazon Web Services, the Google App Engine and Windows Azure?

That sounds like a great idea! They could make it so you could purchase database time, raw storage, service time or full blown appliances. It would also be great if you only paid for what you used! You could start off really small and have the back end automatically scale with your user base.

Sorry, I know I'm being a smart ass but I'm just joking with you

My point is that it's already happening and this is no doubt the way development will move into the future. I actually do think it would be a great idea for Apple to offer something like this specially designed for iOS developers.

It's not going to be radical or disruptive though, not unless they totally undercut the others on pricing.
post #53 of 53
Is the Always Show Boomarks Bar option under Settings => Safari in iOS 4.3b2 for iPad a new feature or one that I foolishly missed? If the latter, how long has it been around?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iOS 4.3 adds new Photo Stream service, iPad FaceTime and PhotoBooth
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iOS 4.3 adds new Photo Stream service, iPad FaceTime and PhotoBooth