or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Another report claims Apple's iPad 2 will sport a high-res display

Another report claims Apple's iPad 2 will sport a high-res display

post #1 of 147
Back-and-forth claims on the resolution of the display on Apple's forthcoming second-generation iPad continue, with a new report out of the Far East claiming it will be a 2048-by-1536-pixel screen.

Citing upstream component makers, Taiwan's DigiTimes reported Thursday that the iPad 2 will feature a resolution of 2048 by 1536, which would be quadruple the total pixels of the iPad. The current touchscreen tablet's 9.7-inch display has a pixel ratio of 1024 by 768.

For further evidence, the publication referred to previous reports that discovered icons labeled "@2x" in the iBooks application for iPad. For example, the current application's background image has a resolution of 768 by 400, while the "iPad@2x" file is 1536 by 800.

"The sources (added) that the larger resolution should provide the company's app developers more convenience, while all future applications will be able to run under any of Apple's machines including the 27-inch iMac," the report said.

It also noted that Apple should be able to ship more than 40 million iPads in 2011, and the company ordered between 1.6 million and 1.8 million devices in January. Initial iPad 2 shipments are expected to be between 400,000 and 600,000.

Though evidence exists suggesting a new high-resolution display for the second-generation iPad, one report this week claimed that such an upgrade is simply not in the cards for the 2011 model. John Gruber of Daring Fireball said on Wednesday that claims of a potential "Retina Display" in the next iPad are simply "too good to be true."

Gruber said the new iPad is expected to have a faster processor, more RAM, and better graphics performance. But he also believes it will have the same 1024-by-768-pixel display as on the current iPad.

Regardless of the resolution, as reported by AppleInsider, the iPad 2 is expected to have improved graphics capabilities with a fast dual-core SGX543 graphics processing unit included in a new, custom system-on-a-chip from Apple. The SGX543 architecture can support up to 16 cores, and the chip can push 35 million polygons per second at 200Mhz, and 1 billion pixels per second. It is also capable of handling Apple's OpenCL standard.
post #2 of 147
I'd love to see it, but I doubt it.

Either way considering this is a want and not a need, I think I've now talked myself into waiting for the doubled res, even if it takes another year.

My macbook works just fine and the reality is that while the ipad can completely replace my computing needs outside of work, I dont really need a replacement right now, so hi res or bust, I'm not one of the every-refresh buyers.

I had the original iphone until last month, when I got an iPhone 4. Never regretted that and was thrilled with the drastic improvement.
post #3 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

I'd love to see it, but I doubt it.

Either way considering this is a want and not a need, I think I've now talked myself into waiting for the doubled res, even if it takes another year.

My macbook works just fine and the reality is that while the ipad can completely replace my computing needs outside of work, I dont really need a replacement right now, so hi res or bust, I'm not one of the every-refresh buyers.

I had the original iphone until last month, when I got an iPhone 4. Never regretted that and was thrilled with the drastic improvement.

I like the way you think, my friend
post #4 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The sources (added) that the larger resolution should provide the company's app developers more convenience, while all future applications will be able to run under any of Apple's machines including the 27-inch iMac," the report said.

Bogus. Almost convincing until they throw in this garbage.

Though it has given me a thought - when the iPad moves to an x2 resolution (as it almost certainly will, even if not this year), developers may find it difficult to develop apps when their Mac screens (if <27") have a lower pixel count than the device they're trying to emulate. Scroll bars so you can see and access the entire virtual iPad screen would be rather cumbersome.

censored

censored

post #5 of 147
I'm still not convinced.
post #6 of 147
I’m with everyone else on this: Not convinced, but really want this rumour to be true.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #7 of 147
The 3GS analogy from Gruber really does seem more likely. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a faster processor -- more speed is always valued. I bet the new iPhone will also be primarily a speed bump, too.

2012 will probably be the big update for both products -- 4G wireless and retina display for he iPad; 4G wireless for the iPhone (plus more speed again)
post #8 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im with everyone else on this: Not convinced, but really want this rumour to be true.

That's me in a nutshell. Really hoping Gruber is wrong, as unlikely as it would be. Want it so that Apple shifts the goalposts almost completely beyond the reach of their competitors, but most of all want it for myself!
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #9 of 147
I pretty much doubt this screen will happen.

And DigiTimes track record of being right is atrocious.
post #10 of 147
Just a thought, but maybe there will be an "entry level" model with the original res and a higher end premium model, with retina type display.
post #11 of 147
I'm sure they are working on a 2x screen and there are plenty of prototypes. But I still think that is for 2012 and it couldn't be ready for 2011 (production constraints, cost constraints, adding too many features too soon)
post #12 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Bogus. Almost convincing until they throw in this garbage.

Though it has given me a thought - when the iPad moves to an x2 resolution (as it almost certainly will, even if not this year), developers may find it difficult to develop apps when their Mac screens (if <27") have a lower pixel count than the device they're trying to emulate. Scroll bars so you can see and access the entire virtual iPad screen would be rather cumbersome.

The simulator can be scaled
post #13 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post

I'm sure they are working on a 2x screen and their are plenty of prototypes. But I still think that is for 2012 and it couldn't be ready for 2011 (production constraints, cost constraints, adding too many features too soon)

I agree from the cost side alone. I'd love a 2x screen but I can't imagine what that will add to the cost of the unit.
post #14 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

That's me in a nutshell. Really hoping Gruber is wrong, as unlikely as it would be. Want it so that Apple shifts the goalposts almost completely beyond the reach of their competitors, but most of all want it for myself!

Ditto.
post #15 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The 3GS analogy from Gruber really does seem more likely. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a faster processor -- more speed is always valued. I bet the new iPhone will also be primarily a speed bump, too.

2012 will probably be the big update for both products -- 4G wireless and retina display for he iPad; 4G wireless for the iPhone (plus more speed again)

sorry, i think you mean 4G*

*not an actual 4g network, just 3G that goes faster

BTW i agree with the people who are waiting for the res bump, but i think if they bump it, like someone said about developers they will bump is 1.5 times current rez, not twice the amount (but i don't really screw with rez much, so that idea might not even be possible)

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #16 of 147
Just a thought, but it's quite possible that the iBooks programmers haven't got a clue, and they just added the 2X graphics to cover the possibility that the rumors are true.
post #17 of 147
All I know is that the constant back and forth on this issue is wearing me down. Usually we get whispers here and there suggesting a possible new feature, but I can't recall seeing a daily back and forth of contradictory reports by "insiders" who are so sure of their claims. It almost seems like an orchestrated plan of mis-information. Eventually we will know, but at this point it is very frustrating.
post #18 of 147
Just want to point out that the Gruber column didn't present any new facts to argue that there will be no increase in resolution, just reasoned argument based on facts that almost all of us have.

I agree that the likelihood of a dramatic increase in resolution with iPad 2 seems low, but I'm hoping.

A few additional points:
1. if there is an increase in resolution, doubling the resolution (4x pixel count) seem like the way to go. Makes using original size graphics and programing changes EZ like the change to the retina display on the iphone.

2. High resolution is much more important on the iPad than a mac display you a tablet much closer to your eyes than a computer display.

3. The 2048x1536 display (when and if it comes) will be startling. It will permit changes to safari and many other apps. Things like viewing images side-by-side and at smaller size will be possible and beautiful. As others have noted, this approaches retina resolution when the iPad is held at a comfortable distance, so increases above this resolution won't add much. But getting to this resolution will be a quantum change. Bigger than the change to the retina display on the iphone which was huge.

4. Retina on the iphone shows that Apple understands all of this; If they can't get to high-resolution in the coming iteration of the iPad, they will as soon as possible.

Crossing my fingers.
post #19 of 147
Like I say: if we do get more RAM and better processor and graphics - if the display doesn't change - we will notice the performance improvements.

My number 1 request for iPad 2 = more RAM.

My number 2 request for iPad 2 = physically lighter.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #20 of 147
I also agree with the general consensus here. The thing that keep me thinking that this might happen is that it would be a very typical Apple move. It is just the kind of surprise they love to spring. And it makes a lot of sense in terms of stepping ahead of the competition. It also makes sense in terms of Apple's alleged investment.
post #21 of 147
This hasn't been debunked yet? While I would like to see a 2x screen on iPad, history shows mostly minor evolutionary upgrades on Apple products, with Apple doing 'shock and awe' only occasionally. I see the potential for a minor resolution increase to 1280x960, but not double - 'course I was wrong about the VZ iPhone4, so who knows? I think 2048x1536 is coming, but not for a few more years.
post #22 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just a thought, but it's quite possible that the iBooks programmers haven't got a clue, and they just added the 2X graphics to cover the possibility that the rumors are true.

Gruber touched on that believable scenario.
Quote:
But so what’s the deal with those double-resolution UI graphics in iBooks? I don’t know, but my guess is that it’s just the work of a UI designer thinking ahead. Sooner or later, the iPad will get a retina display, and I remain convinced that it will be exactly double the current resolution. (There are 2048 × 1536 iPad prototypes in Cupertino. They’re not the iPad 2, though.) Double-resolution graphics created now are double-resolution graphics that don’t have to be created under a tight deadline later, when such an iPad actually ships. (I suspect it’s an oversight that these graphics were actually included in the app bundle at this point.)

I think it makes more sense than many other possibilities I’ve heard. Especially when you compare it to iOS 4.3 having a camera-related images that are only 1024x768. I would think iOS for iPad devs would be more aware of the next iPad HW than the devs for iBooks.

That said, it doesn’t rule out Apple releasing both the 1024x768 display for cheaper, entry-level iPads and the double-resolution iPad for thoe who want the premium model. There is certainly a case to be made for that and the support for apps likely wouldn’t be an issue. The demand would be hugh enough to warrant devs updating their apps in fashion similiar to the iPhone 4, and for those who spend most of their time in iBooks, Safari and other native apps it would look brilliant. Of course, that ignores actual cost and performance needs of such a display.

PS: Ireland, why the HUGE font? We read your posts. You are not ignored.
post #23 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Also, they continually under-water equipment indoors in case there is a tsunami. Thats what I believe.

No. The iBooks rumour was started by the existence of this 2X graphic, and of course people in Apple don't code or design to external rumours. They can ask people.

I am dubious about the rumours, however nobody has adequately explained the iBooks2X. Certainly not Gruber ( I know! based on no information whatsoever and fixing no bug report in Radar I will design a 2X image off my own bat! even though it cant be tested unless I have a screen with double res and if I make a mistake an include that in the latest build it will cause a rumour which may harm sales of the exiting unit! Score!).

The guy who did this was asked to do it. Why, we don't know. COuld be an internal prototype, as to when it is released I don't know.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #24 of 147
I might be that this new report only confirms that some of these sources are reading the Apple rumor sites, too. It might just be that they're human. In the old print days, this might count as independent confirmation. These days, it might just be the same report repeated by a lot of people, gathering steam without actually gathering evidence. We'll see soon enough. The faster processor is what I'm looking forward to (not because the iPad is slow but because, well, I'm a guy I'm I always want a faster processor)
post #25 of 147
Quote:

Im with everyone else on this: Not convinced, but really want this rumour to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

My reasoning tells me no -- but my intuition tells me yes!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #26 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post

3. The 2048x1536 display (when and if it comes) will be startling. It will permit changes to safari and many other apps. Things like viewing images side-by-side and at smaller size will be possible and beautiful. As others have noted, this approaches retina resolution when the iPad is held at a comfortable distance, so increases above this resolution won't add much. But getting to this resolution will be a quantum change. Bigger than the change to the retina display on the iphone which was huge.

I hope they don't use increased resolution as an excuse to shrink things. After I hit 40, my eyes started going to hell in a handbasket. Increased detail is okay. Just don't shrink things. 100dpi is starting to seem like "retina display" for me
post #27 of 147
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the resolution of a high-quality magazine? I'd imagine that this would roughly be a resolution end-point.
post #28 of 147
I think a few people over the last couple of days have given us a few new ideas about what may actually be going on. Let's explore those a little closer.

I saw someone suggest yesterday that Apple might be calling their new iPad the iPad Pro. I also see today that a couple of you are suggesting that there might be two models coming out this year, an entry level model with improvements over last year and then a better model.

My question is, why not?

How many different iPods are available right now? Why wouldn't Apple introduce a Pro model with all the major upgrades being discussed at a higher price point while offering the "regular" upgraded model at last year's pricing?

Apple's current price line is $499, $599 and $699. Is it unreasonable to think they may now introduce a brand new product at the $799 and $899 price? The Mac Book air starts at $999. Apple will effectively fill all the price points they now have missing while introducing a much better iPad.

If price and price margins are the ONLY reason it can't exist, then why not simply make something way nicer than the current models for a $100 or $200 more.

Think Macbook and MacBook Pro and you get the idea.

Parents can buy $499 models for the kiddies and a $799 wi-fi Pro model for themselves.

It expands the market while making it even less possible for others to compete. Doesn't that make sense?

IPad2 and iPad Pro, BOTH coming your way this April...
post #29 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I am dubious about the rumours, however nobody has adequately explained the iBooks2X. Certainly not Gruber ( I know! based on no information whatsoever and fixing no bug report in Radar I will design a 2X image off my own bat! even though it cant be tested unless I have a screen with double res and if I make a mistake an include that in the latest build it will cause a rumour which may harm sales of the exiting unit! Score!).

The guy who did this was asked to do it. Why, we don't know. COuld be an internal prototype, as to when it is released I don't know.

I think that if there is a prototype at double the resolution on the campus, iBooks would be the perfect candidate to test it... This improved resolution will profit reading the most.

Hence, the x2 images from the iBooks app.

Everybody agrees that such a prototype exists and is being tested on campus.
What we do not know is wether it is iPad 2 or 3.

My bet is on iPad 3.

Mac.
post #30 of 147
Let's assume that the iPad 2 ships in April.

When will they announce it?

Who will give the keynote?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #31 of 147
I'm with Gruber on this one.

While maybe a nice to have on many wish lists, it is not at the top. Seems like this is a good one to save for later.

Not critical upgrade.

Production of Pad1 was constrained by display supplies early on. Can they really get 40 million advanced displays like this? Why risk another shortage when they have just spun up production of the current displays?
post #32 of 147
Ok, I'll throw my hat in the 'it will be higher res' corner. Not sure how high but much higher. I also bet Apple have locked up the supply chain for some considerable time.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #33 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwall7 View Post

Just a thought, but maybe there will be an "entry level" model with the original res and a higher end premium model, with retina type display.

Possible. I think Apple would be loath to sell a "lesser display" though. A slower processor, less storage, lesser connectivity - sure, they would (and always have) offer such options, in the name of price flexibility. But a display is right there in your face all day, whereas the other 'lesser' options are hidden. Therefore, offering a better screen on one model would diminish the other, and Apple traditionally (or at least since Jobs returned) has never done something like that.

Still, if a higher-res screen exists but is in too constrained a supply to offer all comers, this would be the only way to bring a higher-res screen to market at this time. And there certainly would be people willing to pay the freight, and those sales would only encourage the ramping-up of production for those screens.

So there is much that recommends the idea, even if it does go against the grain for Apple.
post #34 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Let's assume that the iPad 2 ships in April.

When will they announce it?

Who will give the keynote?

My guess is the team that Steve normally brings on during his, Phil, Scot and Bertrand will do it between them and Phil will probably host and give the Keynote. I wonder of Tim Cook will make a small appearance perhaps on sales data?
post #35 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I hope they don't use increased resolution as an excuse to shrink things. After I hit 40, my eyes started going to hell in a handbasket. Increased detail is okay. Just don't shrink things. 100dpi is starting to seem like "retina display" for me

Right there with you buddy on the 40 year old eyes. I do however agree that they need more ram. I also think the most needed improvements are the software. The iPad, although, an iOS device is really a different type of computer and needs different software. I have always thought they need to give us some sort of sand boxed file system and an SD card where we can access, store, transport, copy any file we want.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #36 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right there with you buddy on the 40 year old eyes. I do however agree that they need more ram. I also think the most needed improvements are the software. The iPad, although, an iOS device is really a different type of computer and needs different software. I have always thought they need to give us some sort of sand boxed file system and an SD card where we can access, store, transport, copy any file we want.

The iPhone 4 went retina and the OS simply scaled the graphics we didn't see more real estate and smaller icons.

p.s. You think 40 year old eyes are old? OMG! LOL
post #37 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The iPhone 4 went retina and the OS simply scaled the graphics we didn't see more real estate and smaller icons.

Sure just saying I already can't see the pixels.

post #38 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Also, they continually under-water equipment indoors in case there is a tsunami. Thats what I believe.

No. The iBooks rumour was started by the existence of this 2X graphic, and of course people in Apple don't code or design to external rumours. They can ask people.

The guy who did this was asked to do it. Why, we don't know. Could be an internal prototype, as to when it is released I don't know.

Despite looking at MacRumors and AppleInsider archives, I never once saw a story about 2x images being found in any of the iOS 4.0 betas, despite the fact that we know they made them. I would not take their absence in the 4.3 beta to be a reason to confirm that the iPad 2 isn't getting a high res screen.
post #39 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Higher res doesn't have to make everything smaller, think iPhone 4, the OS scaled the contents.
post #40 of 147
Quote:

PS: Ireland, why the HUGE font? We read your posts. You are not ignored.

He just wants to be loved! Is that so wrong?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Another report claims Apple's iPad 2 will sport a high-res display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Another report claims Apple's iPad 2 will sport a high-res display