or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Larry Page to replace Eric Schmidt as Google CEO

Larry Page to replace Eric Schmidt as Google CEO - Page 2

post #41 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

That rumor doesn't even make sense, and has been debunked. He most certainly is required to put license plates on his car.

All the parking tickets that were issued to Steve for parking in the handicapped space were instead sent to this guy Robert Barbour.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

That rumor doesn't even make sense, and has been debunked. He most certainly is required to put license plates on his car.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...lateless-benz/
post #43 of 115
On this news, GOOG jumped over 1% in after-hour trading.

Just thought I'd mention it.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #44 of 115
Now that Schmidt can't spy on Apple as a member of Apple's Board of Directors, his value to Google is a lot less.
post #45 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Note the sliding door -- how cool is that?

How safe is that?
post #46 of 115
I truly fail to understand how people believe that every phone put out by another company is somehow a clone of the iPhone. They all have a touchscreen and buttons. I don't know many ways to get around that. Google could make a phone with a teleportation feature, yet it would still be a copy of Apple's ideas.
post #47 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

I truly fail to understand how people believe that every phone put out by another company is somehow a clone of the iPhone. They all have a touchscreen and buttons. I don't know many ways to get around that. Google could make a phone with a teleportation feature, yet it would still be a copy of Apple's ideas.

Guess you need to see it again. Android pre-iPhone:

Now, most smartphones are mostly touchscreen. They mostly look like the iPhone. Pre iPhone, they looked liked this:

Apple, very clearly, changed the game. Pretending like it's not true or the delusion of fanboys just makes you very obviously wrong.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #48 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Note the sliding door -- how cool is that?

Very cool indeed!

But not as cool as...

...the middle headlight that turns when you stear the car.
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
post #49 of 115
Like that pale yellow a lot more than the grapey purple, though.....
post #50 of 115
What kind of reporting is this, where you can't even include a picture of the two subjects of the article??!!
post #51 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Larry Page Replaces Eric Shmidt as CEO of Google (SpamSandwich)
Eric Schmidt steps down as Google CEO, stays on as Executive Chairman (John.B)

My original question still stands:

Does Larry get to be the creepy spy-on-our-users guy now?

Yea I guess he gets to say things like - privacy is no big deal, just change your name if you get into trouble.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #52 of 115
Quote:

Google could make a phone with a teleportation feature, yet it would still be a copy of Apple's ideas.

A copy of iPhone Scotty, as a matter of fact.
post #53 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Now, most smartphones are mostly touchscreen. They mostly look like the iPhone. Pre iPhone, they looked liked this:

Apple, very clearly, changed the game. Pretending like it's not true or the delusion of fanboys just makes you very obviously wrong.

Not saying that they didn't. I'm just saying that anything that Google adds to their phone is a copy of Apple according to some people. I own a Droid X, and I truly don't see how it's like an iPhone other "looking like it" with the touchscreen. The software is completely different. They're different phones with different features. Which is why I'll be getting a Verizon iPhone as soon as my contract expires.
post #54 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Actually, being the only guy in your entire state to not have to put licence plates on your car, pretty much puts you permanently at the top of the cool list in terms of "car cool." I can't think of any make or model of car that would make you look cooler.

C'mon, Mercedes are ugly. A McLaren would be much, much cooler.

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/mc...112410_717.jpg

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #55 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh God, my eyes!!! My eyes!!!

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #56 of 115
Perhaps I'm being too simplistic but I think the reason for the change is obvious: Google would like to make peace with Apple, and that's never gonna happen with Schmidt calling the shots. Yeah business is business, and perhaps Jobs and Schmidt do have coffee once in a while, but Steve is never gonna forget how an Apple board member betrayed him.
post #57 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

On this news, GOOG jumped over 1% in after-hour trading.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I thought you thought markets weren't often terribly rational, but sentiment-driven?

So, what would be your point?
post #58 of 115
Quote:

I think we've found ourselves another teckstud!
post #59 of 115
Quote:

Oh God, my eyes!!! My eyes!!!

Yeah very terrible looking!!!
post #60 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Very cool indeed!

But not as cool as...

...the middle headlight that turns when you stear the car.

... and a rear aircraft-cooled engine

Then there's the old joke:

The man goes into the auto dealership and says he wants to buy a new car for his girlfriend.

The salesman says: "Why not buy a Kaiser and surprise her?"

Man: "No".

Salesman: "Then buy a Frasier and amaze her".

Man: "Nah, I think I'll get a Tucker!"

Here's one of my all-time favorites.

A high-school friend's dad was restoring one of these -- could do 100 mph in 2nd gear.

Actually it was the Phaeton -- but the pic doesn't show the headers:

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #61 of 115
Quote:

You mean like this?

Seriously, these fanboys who are criticizing just because it's Google is hilarious. Maybe you should actually see what this person will do.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa, NO ONE Agree With Ya Except " NUTS " and " RETARDS "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://igadgetsreport.com/2010/12/08...of-the-decade/

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/12/09/...d-to-disagree/

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/ass...4-28D36CC51BB2

But, Thanks for Posting THE Beautiful Picture of " Mr. CEO " AnyWay!
post #62 of 115
Quote:

Not saying that they didn't. I'm just saying that anything that Google adds to their phone is a copy of Apple according to some people. I own a Droid X, and I truly don't see how it's like an iPhone other "looking like it" with the touchscreen. The software is completely different. They're different phones with different features. Which is why I'll be getting a Verizon iPhone as soon as my contract expires.

But nobody said that. As best as I can make out, you were responding to the assertion that there would be no successful Android phones without the iPhone; I think it's hard to ignore the fact that the entire smartphone segment would likely still be the limited niche that it was before the iPhone if not for the iPhone, because Apple demonstrated to the larger market what it took to make a smartphone that the general public might want to use.

Yes, now that Apple has (again) established the template, others can come in and use the basic format to make interesting products. But, again, I don't see were anyone in this thread was arguing otherwise.
post #63 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think we've found ourselves another teckstud!

I was thinking it was actually ...been on my ban list a while now.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #64 of 115
Guys, I have a simple question. What is it about Android makes it an iphone clone? Seriously.

Edit I saw the pics above. But that's not the only form factors that were out at the time. Even the pic that Daniel posted has windows phones with a large touch screen and slide out keyboard.

The first Android phone had a slide out screen and keyboard. And while it can be said that they ditched the BB format, that doesn't mean they were not planning other form factors before the iphone.
post #65 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I thought you thought markets weren't often terribly rational, but sentiment-driven?

So, what would be your point?

That the sentiment sucks.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #66 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Now that Schmidt can't spy on Apple as a member of Apple's Board of Directors, his value to Google is a lot less.

Dammit, I wanted to say that.
post #67 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That the sentiment sucks.

So, is that good or bad for Google?
post #68 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

They should give Schmidt an award for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence and then have him retire.

Or send him to Siberia.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #69 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

This kind of stuff usually happens in threes - guess Ballmer is next to go

That'll be the day. MS's board of directors is loaded with pinheads.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #70 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

The first Android phone had a slide out screen and keyboard. And while it can be said that they ditched the BB format, that doesn't mean they were not planning other form factors before the iphone.

Why don't you post a picture for us here for this slide out screen and keyboard. And what evidence did you have to believe "that doesn't mean they were not planning.."?
post #71 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Obviously Android has copied the iPhone, but you would have to believe Steve Jobs was pretty stupid to let Schmidt "spy" on Apple's board.
post #72 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Obviously Android has copied the iPhone, but you would have to believe Steve Jobs was pretty stupid to let Schmidt "spy" on Apple's board.

Do you know anything about corporate governance? When Schmidt was on the Apple board, there were no competing products. It was apparently only after Creepy Eric saw the toys Apple was building that he decided to get in on some of that action, ethics be damned, and put his guys to work copy the iPhone design and touch-based OS. He also seems to have had his team lift the programming language from a previous employer, at least according to a lawsuit by Oracle.

For reference, usually Boards of Directors actually attempt to honor their fiduciary duties to the corporations they represent. This could make a great case study demonstrating why that model is flawed.

post #73 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran00 View Post

Why don't you post a picture for us here for this slide out screen and keyboard. And what evidence did you have to believe "that doesn't mean they were not planning.."?

It's a logical fallacy to assume that just because there is no pic of that form factor that Google/Android wasn't planning to have that form factor.

And even if they did, that would have been copying HTC or WinMob from before, not Apple. Their UI also does not follow Apple's page of apps either. If there is anyone who always copies others that would be Samsung, with their TouchWiz skin.

You want to say that they (and others) copied their multi touch gesture? Sure, I'll buy that.
post #74 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Seriously, what do board members do all day? Watch their R & D departments work on toys or do business matters?

If he really had inside access the G1 would have been much more advanced and debut earlier than it did. All I see is Google taking the Danger dev group and putting their money and time behind it to make it more than a messaging phone.
post #75 of 115
Quote:

Do you know anything about corporate governance? When Schmidt was on the Apple board, there were no competing products. It was apparently only after Creepy Eric saw the toys Apple was building that he decided to get in on some of that action, ethics be damned, and put his guys to work copy the iPhone design and touch-based OS. He also seems to have had his team lift the programming language from a previous employer, at least according to a lawsuit by Oracle.

True. But Apple was surely aware that Google had acquired Danger a year earlier. Some could argue that Apple should have read the tea leaves.
post #76 of 115
The Tesla cars are sexy. Big freaking deal with Google's shuffle at the top.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #77 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

True. But Apple was surely aware that Google had acquired Danger a year earlier. Some could argue that Apple should have read the tea leaves.

Dunno. Maybe he expected Schmidt/Google to develop their own approach and not clone the work Apple had done? Like I said, fiduciary duty.

Frankly, I've never figured out why Apple legal didn't try to sue Schmidt back to the stone age for that. No matter, Google has a much more formidable foe in Larry Ellison in the Java lawsuit.

My guess is that the exposure Schmidt created for Google from that move is probably what got him bounced out of the CEO gig. But what was he going to do otherwise, actually have Google invent their own development language?

post #78 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisouth View Post

Perhaps I'm being too simplistic but I think the reason for the change is obvious: Google would like to make peace with Apple, and that's never gonna happen with Schmidt calling the shots. Yeah business is business, and perhaps Jobs and Schmidt do have coffee once in a while, but Steve is never gonna forget how an Apple board member betrayed him.

Not simplistic at all. Years ago, Disney & Pixar had gone their separate ways because then-Disney CEO Michael Eisner was an even bigger ego than Steve Jobs and refused to deal fairly with Pixar. Then came the shareholder "revolt" against Eisner, led by Roy E. Disney, and the result: Eisner was pushed into an "early retirement", new CEO Robert Iger immediately made a fair offer for Pixar, and Steve Jobs is now the largest single shareholder of Disney.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #79 of 115
Quote:

My guess is that the exposure Schmidt created for Google from that move is probably what got him bounced out of the CEO gig. But what was he going to do otherwise, actually have Google invent their own development language?

I agree with this.

Realistically, this changes little. Google is already too far down the path to step back from Android. I guess they could back down on the Chrome OS.
post #80 of 115
I can't believe how this slipped by everyone here...

The obvious reason for the shakeup: anyone here check out the new Youtube re-design???
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Larry Page to replace Eric Schmidt as Google CEO