or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon posts first iPhone 4 ad without ever showing phone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon posts first iPhone 4 ad without ever showing phone

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Verizon has posted its first iPhone 4 advertisement to YouTube, and readers are reporting seeing the new ad air in primetime TV broadcasts.

The new spot depicts a series of clocks ticking, building anticipation for what is revealed to be the simple text of "iPhone 4," accompanied by an Apple logo, followed by the Verizon logo in red, "it begins," "2.10.11," and a final slide featuring the carrier's "rule the air" logo.

Nowhere in the brief spot is the iPhone 4 actually ever pictured, nor are any of its features described. The only Apple product actually shown is a brief clip of a Magic Mouse and Apple keyboard portrayed next to an anxious hand with tapping fingers.

Verizon doesn't have to depict the phone or its features, because over the past three years the iPhone has become what is perhaps the best known new brand in consumer electronics on earth. All the carrier needs to do is suggest that everyone wants to get it on Verizon.

Conspicuously, however, a narrator indicates that Verizon's own customers are waiting for the iPhone, rather than hinting that the message is directed toward AT&T subscribers hoping to switch.

"To our millions of customers who never stopped believing this day would come, thank you," the voice says, making it sound as if Verizon expects more defection among its own smartphone users than switchers from AT&T.



Apple's original ads for iPhone primarily focused on its unique features, apart from the teaser aired in conjunction with the Oscars in 2007, which depicted a variety of movie clips of famous characters answering the phone. That spot at least depicted the then-new iPhone however.



Focused on functionality

Subsequent ads demonstrated how the new iPhone worked, in a series of spots that focused entirely on a closeup of a phone being manipulated by touch to place calls, look up information and browse the web.



With the release of iPhone 2.0 and the App Store, Apple next focused on apps in a series of ads that made the phrase "there's an app for that" famous.



Apple's ads for iPhone 4 focused on its new FaceTime feature, depicting families and friends animatedly engaging in video calls to the Louis Armstrong song "When You're Smiling."

post #2 of 43
I actually think this is a pretty good commercial. People have seen countless Apple commercials showing off the iPhone's capabilities so there is no need to demonstrate those. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new round of carrier-agnostic iPhone commercials from Apple in the coming weeks. This commercial is really about all those Verizon customers who have long awaited the iPhone.
post #3 of 43
Everyone knows what the iPhone is. Hell even this commercial is overdone. All verizon had to do is say "we have the iPhone". The brand is that strong and the grasp on mindshare is staggering.
post #4 of 43
It would not surprise me if this ad was produced by Apple's advertising agency and the ad space paid by Apple.

It may have been sitting on the shelf for months.
post #5 of 43
Apple's first commercial didn't show it, either. Minus the grievous lack of other Apple products, it wasn't a bad commercial.

Yes, I saw the aluminum keyboard and Magic Mouse...
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by artman1033 View Post

It would not surprise me if this ad was produced by Apple's advertising agency and the ad space paid by Apple.

It may have been sitting on the shelf for months.

You got that almost right:
Quote:
It would not surprise me if this ad was produced by Apple's advertising agency and the ad space paid by Verizon.
post #7 of 43
I think this ad has been recorded for some time and the people in it don't know what they are waiting for... lol ...to keep the secret
post #8 of 43
funny going back memory lane...and even funnier thinking now just how ridiculously crippled the iphone was on 1.0...a phone, an ipod and a web browser...lol 2007 feels like a lifetime ago now.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I actually think this is a pretty good commercial. People have seen countless Apple commercials showing off the iPhone's capabilities so there is no need to demonstrate those. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new round of carrier-agnostic iPhone commercials from Apple in the coming weeks. This commercial is really about all those Verizon customers who have long awaited the iPhone.

Agreed. It plainly said "thank you" (for not leaving Verizon for AT&T in the last four years). An alternate interpretation is "thank you for putting up with our lack of iPhone for the last four years."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Agreed. It plainly said "thank you" (for not leaving Verizon for AT&T in the last four years). An alternate interpretation is "thank you for putting up with our lack of iPhone for the last four years."

If you look at the rollout, Verizon customers are able to pre-order a week ahead of everyone else. Verizon knows its got a hit on its hand just from its existing customer base.
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

funny going back memory lane...and even funnier thinking now just how ridiculously crippled the iphone was on 1.0...a phone, an ipod and a web browser...lol 2007 feels like a lifetime ago now.

Heeey there were 11 other apps, too.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 43
the faithful are waiting on apple iphone 4 new versions appear. a craze for a growing apples
post #13 of 43
All this from a wireless company that has pretty much done everything it could do to convince it's customers the iPhone was a bad product and they shouldn't want it ... up until a couple weeks ago.

Now they're acting like it's Jesus come down from Galilee ...

p.s. I do understand competitive markets and advertising strategies, but I think it's worth recognizing the rather salient change in Verizon's public attitude towards the iPhone.
post #14 of 43
I wonder how much of an advertising blitz in general Verizon is going to put behind the iPhone. AT&T doesn't seem very interested in pushing specific phones, but Verizon has been running Android ads like a company possessed. There's going to be a fair amount of cognitive dissonance if "Android is here to shoot the gay off the iPhone with its laser gun" Verizon suddenly starts pumping out "actually, come to think of it, the iPhone totally rulest" ads and putting them everywhere.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I wonder how much of an advertising blitz in general Verizon is going to put behind the iPhone. AT&T doesn't seem very interested in pushing specific phones, but Verizon has been running Android ads like a company possessed. There's going to be a fair amount of cognitive dissonance if "Android is here to shoot the gay off the iPhone with its laser gun" Verizon suddenly starts pumping out "actually, come to think of it, the iPhone totally rulest" ads and putting them everywhere.

Money tends to do that....
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Money tends to do that....

True, but it doesn't magically erase everyone's memory. I can't really remember a time when a heavy advertising blitz designed to convince consumers that product A was inferior to product B was instantly replaced with an advertising blitz from the same vendor saying the opposite.

Although I guess the explicitly iPhone bashing ads were earlier on, so maybe it's been long enough where Verizon can just make wild claims for each platform without referencing the other.

I wonder if this means the iPhone is presently to find itself pitched as surrogate dick, since that seems to be pretty much what Verizon phones advertising is about?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #17 of 43
It gave an impression that the ad targeted their existing customers. That is kind of rare for an advertisement. I especially like the fact that they don't bash their competitors. I hate that. Hopefully the stupid my-network-is-better-then-yours-when-you-look-at-these-specific-specs battles will end. Great ad. Definitely a marketing genius behind this.
post #18 of 43
Oh no! The videos showed up in the WebM format!

Well, all I've seen so far on TV is ipad commercials.
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Heeey there were 11 other apps, too.

The iphone 4 finally silenced a lot of user complaints/requests: some sort of flash, video recording (was that 3GS), high res screen, etc.

With it came in a lot of sales.
post #20 of 43
Makes a bit of a change from this, I suppose.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

funny going back memory lane...and even funnier thinking now just how ridiculously crippled the iphone was on 1.0...a phone, an ipod and a web browser...lol 2007 feels like a lifetime ago now.

Steve had me at . The rest is icing on the cake.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

funny going back memory lane...and even funnier thinking now just how ridiculously crippled the iphone was on 1.0...a phone, an ipod and a web browser...lol 2007 feels like a lifetime ago now.

My memory is of the first mobile phone I was able to figure out how to use 100% without reading the manual since my Motorola Brick!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My memory is of the first mobile phone I was able to figure out how to use 100% without reading the manual since my Motorola Brick!

What manual? I don't think Apple believes in those
post #24 of 43
"To our millions of customers....remember....you need to buy 2 iPhones in order to get full functionality and speed".
post #25 of 43
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by timop View Post

pretty lame YouTube video, Verizon!
Wanna get eyeballs, convert users?
Get creative, go viral, and continue the dialogue with Social Messaging(TM)!
And then pre-install on all VZW iPhones the first killer mobile app:
full-featured text/IM client, super-charged with MeetMe(TM) and soon-to-be-released Point-and-Chat(TM), for messaging with 80% of all smart phone users.
Who are you going to call?
PoKos!

Huh? IM and chat? Really?
post #27 of 43
I had never seen the iPhone 4 Facetime commercial with the two people signing to each other. I, ignorantly, hadn't even thought about the power of Facetime for that application. It's a very powerful commercial. They should run that more often.
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by timop View Post

pretty lame YouTube video, Verizon!
Wanna get eyeballs, convert users?
Get creative, go viral, and continue the dialogue with Social Messaging(TM)!
And then pre-install on all VZW iPhones the first killer mobile app:
full-featured text/IM client, super-charged with MeetMe(TM) and soon-to-be-released Point-and-Chat(TM), for messaging with 80% of all smart phone users.
Who are you going to call?
PoKos!


Did you C&P your Mac Rumors post here or um the other way around?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=103

WTG Timoplatt. It is exciting to see we now get anti-Verizon trolls on all the Apple forums.
post #29 of 43
Sometimes I just don't understand the people that make some commercials.
I don't know why you wouldn't show the phone.
At least it's not as bad as the commercials where for the first 90% of the commercial I'm wondering what company the commercial is for... and then the next time I see the commercial I have the exact same reaction, because there was nothing to tie the commercial to the company, and I can't remember what the company was (or worse, think it is a competitor).


Get the insider scoop on trade show display ideas.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieAlaMode View Post

Sometimes I just don't understand the people that make some commercials.
I don't know why you wouldn't show the phone.

Who in America doesnt know what the iPhone looks like? Its the device that all other smartphones are compared against. Do you think a rotating iPhone on screen for 30 seconds with a Verizon logo underneath would actually be effective. Its not Verizons job to advertise OS features, thats Apples and those features are actually a little less than AT&T if we are going to lay them out.

There is no reason to show off what the device looks like. It would be a waste. What they did was psychological. They appealed to the non-AT&T using masses that have been waiting and waiting and waiting for the iPhone to be on a different carrier. The ad mirrors the pent up demand, the desire. It builds suspense and then shows the iPhone 4 logo followed by the Verizon logo. Its a brilliant ad.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieAlaMode View Post

I don't know why you wouldn't show the phone..

If you don't know what the iPhone is or what it looks like, you're NOT in the target demographic.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

All this from a wireless company that has pretty much done everything it could do to convince it's customers the iPhone was a bad product and they shouldn't want it ... up until a couple weeks ago.

Now they're acting like it's Jesus come down from Galilee ...

p.s. I do understand competitive markets and advertising strategies, but I think it's worth recognizing the rather salient change in Verizon's public attitude towards the iPhone.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

What does what some people thought Apple might do have to do with actual ad campaigns?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you don't know what the iPhone is or what it looks like, you're NOT in the target demographic.

I see your point... I just disagree.

People know what a bottle of Corona beer looks like, but they still show the bottle in the commercial. People know what hot chicks look like, but GoDaddy still shows them...

People also know what a diamond ring looks like... but they still show the diamond ring in the commercial.

I think of the iPhone like a diamond ring, and think it should be shown off.

Just my opinion on commercials that never show the car or the product.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieAlaMode View Post

People know what hot chicks look like, but GoDaddy still shows them...

WTF is wrong with some of you!!!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True, but it doesn't magically erase everyone's memory. I can't really remember a time when a heavy advertising blitz designed to convince consumers that product A was inferior to product B was instantly replaced with an advertising blitz from the same vendor saying the opposite.

Although I guess the explicitly iPhone bashing ads were earlier on, so maybe it's been long enough where Verizon can just make wild claims for each platform without referencing the other.

I wonder if this means the iPhone is presently to find itself pitched as surrogate dick, since that seems to be pretty much what Verizon phones advertising is about?

Keep in mind that advertising has very little to do with what a company actually believes about itself or its products (i.e. Android is superior to iPhone). All marketers know the real deal about there products.

Advertising wholly about what the customer believes. Verizon simply wants you to believe something else now.

I think its a good piece.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post

Keep in mind that advertising has very little to do with what a company actually believes about itself or its products (i.e. Android is superior to iPhone). All marketers know the real deal about there products.

Absolutely. I in no way imagine that Verizon is straining itself to sequently declare various phones as the best ever.

Quote:
Advertising wholly about what the customer believes. Verizon simply wants you to believe something else now.

Right, but my point is that it's not like Verizon was merely running "Android is cool" ads, and now they'll run "iPhone is cool" ads. They were running "iPhone is broken and possibly gay" ads. Switching that up is fairly unusual for a big US corporation, as far as I know. Like I say, I don't think it's a stretch for Verizon, who obviously doesn't "believe" anything in particular beyond selling stuff, but I do imagine there may be a bit of cognitive dissonance for consumers. At the very least I would expect to hear some gnashing of teeth from Android users feeling "betrayed."

Quote:
I think its a good piece.

in and of itself, sure, except, see above.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right, but my point is that it's not like Verizon was merely running "Android is cool" ads, and now they'll run "iPhone is cool" ads. They were running "iPhone is broken and possibly gay" ads. Switching that up is fairly unusual for a big US corporation, as far as I know. Like I say, I don't think it's a stretch for Verizon, who obviously doesn't "believe" anything in particular beyond selling stuff, but I do imagine there may be a bit of cognitive dissonance for consumers. At the very least I would expect to hear some gnashing of teeth from Android users feeling “betrayed.”

Which ads are these? The only one I remember regarding the iPhone praised it but then dissed AT&T.

Misfit Toy 1: “What are you doing here? You can download apps and browse the web?”
Misfit Toy 2: “Yeah, people will love you.”
(iPhone shows map of AT&T’s 3G coverage. Disappointing “Ohhh" from all the toys in unison)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85DM-PrQ0tU
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Which ads are these? The only one I remember regarding the iPhone praised it but then dissed AT&T.

Misfit Toy 1: What are you doing here? You can download apps and browse the web?
Misfit Toy 2: Yeah, people will love you.
(iPhone shows map of AT&Ts 3G coverage. Disappointing Ohhh" from all the toys in unison)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85DM-PrQ0tU

I'm not sure if this was a Motorola or Verizon spot (it ends with a Verizon/Google title card), but anyone who remembers it is going to be a bit bemused by happy Verizon iPhone time.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm not sure if this was a Motorola or Verizon spot (it ends with a Verizon/Google title card), but anyone who remembers it is going to be a bit bemused by happy Verizon iPhone time.

Id call any ad that prominently lists a company name as part of the advertising as their ad, even if they werent involved in the campaign since they clearly allowed it at some level. I believe Droid was licensed to Verizon, not to a particular vendor, which also points to that being a Verizon ad. Its also a decent ad (for what it is) which means it cant be a Motorola ad.

I think the Misfit Toys ad predated Verizon having the Droids on their network.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon posts first iPhone 4 ad without ever showing phone