My goodness, there's a whole lot of huffing and puffing about this article. I have a few thoughts:
1) "Gossip" usually deals with something negative or scandalous. It appears that Tim Cook is already "out", so there's nothing gossipy about this article. More importantly, this article is actually saying good
things about Tim Cook, rather than some coming off as some sort of salacious expose about his lifestyle or something.
2) My immediate reaction when I read the headline was "wow, cool!"
3) I agree that a person's sexual orientation is very personal, and should
be a non-issue. Unfortunately, we still live in a world where people who are "different" are all too often pushed to the margins. So, articles like this one are important, even if seemingly irrelevant, because they help to nudge marginalized folks back to the mainstream. If stories of gay people were only
talked about in gay publications, it wouldn't do much to help "normalize" them--they would remain in the margins; they would remain "they".
4) This article is important for closeted gay people who are concerned about the repercussions of coming out. The more stories like this they read, the more they can feel like there's nothing wrong with being who they are.
5) Those who have chosen to be offended
by this article are revealing more about themselves and their prejudices than anything else.