or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley" - Page 6

post #201 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Seriously. This is gossip. And AI is reporting on gossip. Especially something as fiercely personal as this. I'd say it was an inappropriate and irresponsible choice to publish this

Not to mention completely unimportant. Really, I'm a shareholder and I could care less.
post #202 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Gay shmay. Who cares? What does sexual orientation have to do with anything?

In a perfect world it would mean nothing, however in this world it is a means to oppress a minority, discriminate against a group, make people feel like they are half citizens in a country that claims all men are created equal and entitled to the same rights. There are still a lot of people that hate others just because they are gay and feel justified to use violence and legislation to keep them down. Does that answer your question?
post #203 of 333
Only interested in tech news? Not interested in stuff that gets published by Appleinsider because it's not tech news?

We've now commented more on a topic about mentioning someones sexual preference then we have on a change of leadership at Google, and probably the vast majority of tech related articles.

Clearly those people who don't want to talk about who is gay and who is straight are in the minority here, Appleinsider currently is all about this article and people just keep feeding it.

This at least makes one thing obvious, it does matter, how do I know this? Because you all would have just shrugged and commented on another article if it didn't.
post #204 of 333
My goodness, there's a whole lot of huffing and puffing about this article. I have a few thoughts:

1) "Gossip" usually deals with something negative or scandalous. It appears that Tim Cook is already "out", so there's nothing gossipy about this article. More importantly, this article is actually saying good things about Tim Cook, rather than some coming off as some sort of salacious expose about his lifestyle or something.

2) My immediate reaction when I read the headline was "wow, cool!"

3) I agree that a person's sexual orientation is very personal, and should be a non-issue. Unfortunately, we still live in a world where people who are "different" are all too often pushed to the margins. So, articles like this one are important, even if seemingly irrelevant, because they help to nudge marginalized folks back to the mainstream. If stories of gay people were only talked about in gay publications, it wouldn't do much to help "normalize" them--they would remain in the margins; they would remain "they".

4) This article is important for closeted gay people who are concerned about the repercussions of coming out. The more stories like this they read, the more they can feel like there's nothing wrong with being who they are.

5) Those who have chosen to be offended by this article are revealing more about themselves and their prejudices than anything else.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #205 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Seriously. This is gossip. And AI is reporting on gossip. Especially something as fiercely personal as this. I'd say it was an inappropriate and irresponsible choice to publish this

Agree 100%. Drivel like this you can expect at Gizmodo but not at AI!
post #206 of 333
I was reading this thread, and most of the comments seem logical, and then I see this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's hard enough to find intelligent hard working people to work for you without worrying about sexual orientation.

If sexual orientation was a choice, then I would be worried about hiring him, because someone who would let that be done to them, what else might they do that could harm my company? But to the best of my knowledge the current science has gayness being genetic, so no worries.

Whoa.

First of all, what is 'that?' Is 'that' anal sex? Or oral sex? I hate to break it to you, but it's not an exclusively gay thing. Neither is it a sign that a person is irresponsible or immoral, someone who would 'harm your company.' This fear is so illogical and absurd, that it really is homophobic.

Which is also the word to describe people who are unhinged by 'gayness', but reconcile this fear with their feelings about actual gay individuals by thinking that it's not their fault.

No worries? On the contrary. People like this make me nervous. They have deep-seated fears that, when encountered in the real world, are suppressed by the flimsiest of rationalizations. This is a recipe for hatred and violence. Often people ask, why do gays speak of bashers as being 'phobic?' It's because it's in human nature to hate what we fear.
post #207 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Your missing the point. Tim Cook may or may not want his sexual orientation discussed in a public forum. That is his decision to make. If he, in an interview, wants to discuss it .... then it's ok to print the interview .... but AI did not try to "confirm" this with Tim, did not even make an attempt to find out if Tim wanted this discussion to take place in a public forum and for those reasons AI is wrong to have proceeded to spread these "personal" rumors.
Nobody is claiming that being gay is offensive ... only that "outing" someone who may not even want to be outed ..... that's the offensive part. Now do you understand? Peace.

Exactly.

AI,
Ryan Tate operates a sleazy enough distribution without your regurgitation of their trash. What are you doing?
post #208 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wasn't going to post in this thread because it is really difficult for a straight guy to have opinions about gay guys without being misunderstood, but after reading your post I'm going to offer an opinion nevertheless.

Your description above about the gay football player committing suicide and the feelings of being in a locker room of all straight guys actually reinforces my opinion. I have known several gay guys, worked with a few, and was even business partners with one for a time, until he was arrested for embezzling (not from me but from a non-profit he also work for). He is currently serving time for that. Anyway I have nothing against gay people. They tend to be funny and polite and fun to be around in both a business and social settings, but in my observation they also tend to be overly emotional and somewhat depressed. This I attribute to the rather stressful childhood that is all to common for gay people in today's society.

So if Tim Cook is not an overly emotional or depressed kind of gay guy then I suppose he would be fine for the CEO position considering his other qualifications, but if he is one of the slightly unbalanced types that I am more familiar with, then I would be a little concerned.

How could you be misunderstood?
post #209 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

My goodness, there's a whole lot of huffing and puffing about this article. I have a few thoughts:

2) My immediate reaction when I read the headline was "wow, cool!"

I have to say that Daniel did rein himself in a bit... the headline could have read...

Tim Cook Outed As A Poof!

I'm sure we'd be up to 400 comments by now...

The only question I have for Tim is whether he likes Judy Garland in Easter Parade more than Bette Midler in Beaches...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #210 of 333
C'mon, gay haters. Just ADMIT. IT. ALREADY.

It's not the fact that a man likes other men. It's gay sex, and the knowledge that it exists, that disgusts you.

The gay haters will NEVER admit that, although that is the entire reason they hate gays...
post #211 of 333
This article is proof that some humans (the article authors and AI's choice to publish) have not evolved much past apes ... with all due respect to our simian ancestors. This article belongs in the dumpster.
post #212 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post


BTW I did not know he was gay until this thread.

I just want to point out...nobody KNOWS that he is gay. It is based on speculation and two unverified sources.

Not to argue he isn't, but, to put it in perspective, this is GOSSIP people.
post #213 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

This article is proof that some humans (the article authors and AI's choice to publish) have not evolved much past apes ... with all due respect to our simian ancestors. This article belongs in the dumpster.

Care to explain why this article belongs in the dumpster?
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #214 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If he is gay then it is better it be revealed now rather than later after becoming CEO and/or possibly being caught in some tryst which would create much more of a stir.

mstone, i have had a lot of respect for you.

wouldn't it be much better that he "reveals" it on his own terms?

as far as caught in some "tryst." he wouldn't be cheating on someone. unless he solicited a prostitute, how would being involved with someone merit a scandalous term like "tryst?"
post #215 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So in short gay is fine just please don't ever talk about it again, because it's disgusting and shameful even though it's not. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Exactly. If people are ok with homosexuality then it's ok to talk about it and there's nothing wrong with someone being gay. A surprising amount of people seem to not like hearing someone being described as gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel-

If the article itself wasn't sleazy enough as gratuitous click-whoring, a childish comment like that from a member of the staff here just puts it over the top.

I thought MacRumors was the toilet bowl of the mac rumor sites?

Is that where you left your sense of humour? The article wording could have been better sure but it's just descriptive. I think people are being a bit too over-sensitive. As mentioned previously, if the description was 'most powerful black man', no one would care. The description is given because despite the prejudice that exists against racial or sexual groups, people can overcome those prejudices to do great things.

I also don't get why we have to wait on official announcements from homosexuals before it's ok to talk about it but don't for anyone else. He's 51 years old. It's not like it's going to make any difference.

Now fair enough, you may say how is him being gay relevant to his profile of work at Apple. Well, what if we had to assume he was a lonesome workaholic? I wouldn't call that healthy. You can assess him by his work alone but it's nice to know the people behind the icons. It's good to know that Steve has a wife and kids as well as Scott Forstall and Jonathan Ive. It most certainly impacts on their work too. One of Steve's replies about the company stance on pornography was 'if you've got kids then you'd understand' or something to that effect.

This profile hasn't just come out of the blue either. Remember, Steve has just taken leave so Tim is now acting CEO.
post #216 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

I didn't know he was gay, and I did not need to know he was either. That is his PRIVATE business and Daniel, as a defender of your writings, I am disappointed.

Would any other of his life choices be pertinent enough to make a headline? Does he prefer wine to beer? I doubt it, and neither should his being gay, if he is, because I wouldn't have a clue, and am not interested in having a clue either.

It seems to me this feeds your personal troupe of troll-monkeys with plenty more fuel to put on the fire.

A pity.

I agree with you, it's private.

I do still want to take the opportunity to make the reminder that this is gossip, and nobody here "knows" if he is gay.
post #217 of 333
So I read Wizards bigoted diatribe.

WOW.

Being gay by definition is "defective"? Implying that being a gay man is synonymous with a woman who habitually gang bangs?

The typical right wing extremist shot at Obama?

Wow.

As one poster said afterwards, his kind is becoming more and more the minority. And sure enough, he sure doesn't seem to be getting much support on here.
post #218 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

My goodness, there's a whole lot of huffing and puffing about this article. I have a few thoughts:

1) "Gossip" usually deals with something negative or scandalous. It appears that Tim Cook is already "out", so there's nothing gossipy about this article. More importantly, this article is actually saying good things about Tim Cook, rather than some coming off as some sort of salacious expose about his lifestyle or something.

2) My immediate reaction when I read the headline was "wow, cool!"

3) I agree that a person's sexual orientation is very personal, and should be a non-issue. Unfortunately, we still live in a world where people who are "different" are all too often pushed to the margins. So, articles like this one are important, even if seemingly irrelevant, because they help to nudge marginalized folks back to the mainstream. If stories of gay people were only talked about in gay publications, it wouldn't do much to help "normalize" them--they would remain in the margins; they would remain "they".

Gossip isn't inherently negative; it's just that gossip tends to be salacious, and often ends up with someone being hurt.

I thought it was cool as well, until i realized that it's not a verified fact.

It is personal, which is the key to the whole argument. There are people who would trash him for being gay. He would have to face his friends and family if he hasn't already. there's a lot of complexities to it. And he hasn't made the decision to address those in a business setting.

If he is gay, he deserves the respect and decency to announce it on his own terms, not to be forced to address the subject by gossip.
post #219 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djd13 View Post

Who cares if he's Gay!! Can he do the job? Yes. I'm not Gay but I think this whole artical
is BS. When Steve put him in charge I'm sure he didn't care if he's Gay. He just cared if
he could do his job.

It's just a humorous observation, that gay people want others to be happy.

Or are you unaware that back around 50 years ago "gay" meant happy?
post #220 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Not to mention completely unimportant. Really, I'm a shareholder and I could care less.

So, you care then? If you don't care, then why wouldn't you say "I couldn't care less" like the expression?
post #221 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Care to explain why this article belongs in the dumpster?

It's only purpose is sensationalizing and is not based on actual facts ... further, how many articles do we see titled "Company's Bob Smith profiled as most powerful non-gay man in Silicon Valley".

If this is newsworthy, fine. It's not. So hence, dumpster.
post #222 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

So, you care then? If you don't care, then why wouldn't you say "I couldn't care less" like the expression?

yes, grammar is the outrage here
post #223 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Gossip isn't inherently negative; it's just that gossip tends to be salacious, and often ends up with someone being hurt.

I thought it was cool as well, until i realized that it's not a verified fact.

It is personal, which is the key to the whole argument. There are people who would trash him for being gay. He would have to face his friends and family if he hasn't already. there's a lot of complexities to it. And he hasn't made the decision to address those in a business setting.

If he is gay, he deserves the respect and decency to announce it on his own terms, not to be forced to address the subject by gossip.

Good points. Having just read the linked article, it seems that it's more of a "rag" than anything else, so I have to agree that its angle appears to be more gossipy than something designed to actually enlighten us. It would have been more appropriate to report on his gayness if he had been the one to talk about it--even if only to say, "Yeah, I'm gay, but really, my sexual orientation is very personal."

I have to say now, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I stand by my original statement that gay issues are important, and should be "out" in the mainstream. And yet, there are few issues more personal than one's sexual orientation, and it's not really appropriate to make an issue about it if the person profiled doesn't want to discuss it. But, the article isn't clear about whether he is "in the closet", or whether he's just being quiet and reserved, because it talks about how he is "as reticent to acknowledge his sexual orientation as he has his prowess in overseeing the company supply chain."

One of the side effects of being among the leadership of one of the most successful companies in the world is that you're a public figure. And, for better or worse, people are gonna want to know what makes you tick, professionally as well as personally.

There's nothing wrong with being gay, straight, or something in between. Tim Cook seems to be a good guy. I just hope that he is okay with how the article portrays him.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #224 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurm5150 View Post

well..

Apple is a type of fruit.

lmao!
post #225 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

as far as caught in some "tryst." he wouldn't be cheating on someone. unless he solicited a prostitute, how would being involved with someone merit a scandalous term like "tryst?"

Sorry, I was not aware of the scandalous connotation of the term. If you are ok with him having a gay lover then there should be no problem with a rendezvous. Just thinking stockholders may not be as open minded.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #226 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Good points. Having just read the linked article, it seems that it's more of a "rag" than anything else, so I have to agree that its angle appears to be more gossipy than something designed to actually enlighten us. It would have been more appropriate to report on his gayness if he had been the one to talk about it--even if only to say, "Yeah, I'm gay, but really, my sexual orientation is very personal."

I have to say now, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I stand by my original statement that gay issues are important, and should be "out" in the mainstream. And yet, there are few issues more personal than one's sexual orientation, and it's not really appropriate to make an issue about it if the person profiled doesn't want to discuss it. But, the article isn't clear about whether he is "in the closet", or whether he's just being quiet and reserved, because it talks about how he is "as reticent to acknowledge his sexual orientation as he has his prowess in overseeing the company supply chain."

One of the side effects of being among the leadership of one of the most successful companies in the world is that you're a public figure. And, for better or worse, people are gonna want to know what makes you tick, professionally as well as personally.

There's nothing wrong with being gay, straight, or something in between. Tim Cook seems to be a good guy. I just hope that he is okay with how the article portrays him.

I agree. Should Mr. Cook choose to take a stand as a public gay figure, I think it would be GREAT. But he hasn't made that decision yet (he may not even be gay!)
post #227 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

It's only purpose is sensationalizing and is not based on actual facts ... further, how many articles do we see titled "Company's Bob Smith profiled as most powerful non-gay man in Silicon Valley".

If this is newsworthy, fine. It's not. So hence, dumpster.

I agree with your criticism of the article's "sensationalizing" angle. But, highlighting a person as "the most powerful non-gay man in Silicon Valley" is a non-issue, because non-gay, aka: straight, is considered "normal". Gay/Bi/Lesbian/etc. is still considered "alternative", and, as I said earlier, I'm very much in favour of moving them from the margins to the mainstream.

I like rainbows.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #228 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry, I was not aware of the scandalous connotation of the term. If you are ok with him having a gay lover then there should be no problem with a rendezvous. Just thinking stockholders may not be as open minded.

hmmmmm... let me check my calendar... nope, still says 2011.

Whew! I thought I was having a 60s flashback!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #229 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Since you asked, Obama rode into the White House thanks to the financial blessing of wall street, and the slobbering television media. Also the unelectable opponent.

What an embarrassing joke that was.

not to mention the only candidate backed by the kennedys in the last 50 years... cough cough.
post #230 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Whenever a minority accomplishes something that was unthinkable not too ago it IS worth reporting. I don't think Mr Cook is being "outed" here but I doubt he feels obliged to wear is orientation on his sleeve.
We have all heard "you can grow up to be president some day" now gay teenager can believe they can grow up to be the most powerful man or woman in business.

Excellent point.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #231 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Whenever a minority accomplishes something that was unthinkable not too ago it IS worth reporting. I don't think Mr Cook is being "outed" here but I doubt he feels obliged to wear is orientation on his sleeve.
We have all heard "you can grow up to be president some day" now gay teenager can believe they can grow up to be the most powerful man or woman in business.

hold on now. nobody said there's a problem with a powerful woman in business being gay, just as long as she's hot.

/sarcasm
post #232 of 333
I thought it was a great article. As a gay man I enjoy reading about people being successful in the traditionally homophobic boys club of big business. Cook has had such success in his personal and corporate life that it would be hard to see him being upset by this overwhelmingly positive discussion. And it is relevant because it speaks to the corporate culture at Apple where people are celebrated for their performance and their ideas.

If I could suggest one improvement it's that the word "preferences" (as used in this article) is a very loaded term. "Orientation" is a better fit, at least while there are still those whose minds have been twisted into a knotted snarl, espousing, against all human experience and a body of scientific evidence that it is a choice.
post #233 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberben View Post

.... Clearly those people who don't want to talk about who is gay and who is straight are in the minority here, Appleinsider currently is all about this article and people just keep feeding it.

Clearly, you "don't get it". The majority of the comments are not about who is gay and who is straight , but rather, if AI was correct in publishing what amounts to nothing more than gossip without even trying to do the right thing by contacting Tim Cook and see if he was OK with the article. Any reputable news organization would have done so, but as we all should know by now .... AI is only concerned with eyeball count ..... at the expense of anyone. I doubt that they even know the meaning of "reputable".
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #234 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

hmmmmm... let me check my calendar... nope, still says 2011.

Whew! I thought I was having a 60s flashback!

Right. You can continue to check your calendar from now until we have an openly gay US president and the result it is unlikely to be any different.

High profile public figure caught with gay lover = 6 o'clock evening news lead story, national newspapers and tabloids front page, and if that figure is the CEO of a publicly traded company expect the stock to sell off sharply.

Has nothing to do with my personal opinion, just a reality check.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #235 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

hold on now. nobody said there's a problem with a powerful woman in business being gay, just as long as she's hot.

/sarcasm

LOLz
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #236 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I think you guys are missing my point - from what I can tell the original article was written from the gay perspective - ie a gay man wrote it.

Some gay activists make it their life's work to "out" other gay people, as a way to further their activist agenda. It doesn't make it right.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #237 of 333
Homophobia can only flourish when aided and abetted by ignorance. The stigmatization of homosexuality is a double edged sword-- it constrains the lives of those so stigmatized, while allowing the larger to culture to project its fears and sexual anxieties on a blank canvas. If you can keep people from freely acknowledging their sexual orientation, you can suppress the fact that most gay people (like most everybody) are fairly boring and contrary to stereotype.

Even better, those individuals with a penchant for public acting out and exhibitionism (as exist in every community) can be made to serve as synecdoche for gayness at large (as in the case of the endlessly circulated videos of Gay Pride day parades featuring drag queens or leather boys).

The secret shame of fabulous gay land is that it looks a lot like the rest of America, it's just that some of America hasn't quite figured that out yet because they're strenuously pretending that it isn't so.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #238 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right. You can continue to check your calendar from now until we have an openly gay US president and the result it is unlikely to be any different.

High profile public figure caught with gay lover = 6 o'clock evening news lead story, national newspapers and tabloids front page, and if that figure is the CEO of a publicly traded company expect the stock to sell off sharply.

Has nothing to do with my personal opinion, just a reality check.

Gay lover??!! If he's gay then he'd have a gay partner!!

Oh what's the use...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #239 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

High profile public figure caught with gay lover = 6 o'clock evening news lead story, national newspapers and tabloids front page, and if that figure is the CEO of a publicly traded company expect the stock to sell off sharply.

These days, the only time this kind of thing makes news is if the "high profile figure" is a "family values"-touting politician who has gone on record as being "morally opposed" to homosexuality. It's the hypocrisy that puts them on the news, not simply that they were caught with a gay lover. There are plenty of openly gay public figures whose "gay lifestyles" never make the news--because their lifestyles are more or less consistent with their stated orientation/beliefs/choices.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #240 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Remember, Steve has just taken leave so Tim is now acting CEO.

I believe I read that Steve is still acting CEO, he’ll just be working from home. IOW, Cook did not blow jobs from his CEO chair.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley"