or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley" - Page 3

post #81 of 333
I didn't know he was gay, and I did not need to know he was either. That is his PRIVATE business and Daniel, as a defender of your writings, I am disappointed.

Would any other of his life choices be pertinent enough to make a headline? Does he prefer wine to beer? I doubt it, and neither should his being gay, if he is, because I wouldn't have a clue, and am not interested in having a clue either.

It seems to me this feeds your personal troupe of troll-monkeys with plenty more fuel to put on the fire.

A pity.
post #82 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged110 View Post

A little piece of the Apple love inside of me just died. Guess it's time to find something else to love in the tech world.

If someone else being gay determines your love it wasn't really love.
post #83 of 333
As a gay man, I found this article inspiring and not at all offensive. Being gay is not offensive. And it sounds as if he's already out in his personal life, this is just the first time it's getting any media attention. But none of the content of this article was offensive in the slightest.

We need more people in power to be out and proud.
post #84 of 333
I think it's fantastic that so many people posted here that it doesn't matter that he may be gay.

I bet the microsoft blogsites have stepped up the hatred. Remember that audio clip from someone who played on Xbox with the alias 'gayboy' with all the other players screaming abuse at him?

I am homophobic, in that the thought of it makes me feel a bit ill, but this was meant to be a country where freedom and equality were self-evident.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #85 of 333
This is great news.

Hopefully this will encourage other young men to become gay.
post #86 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkoff View Post

AI isn't speculating that Tim Cook is gay, they are just reporting that Valleywag is profiling him as such.

As for those offended by AI "outing" him, I remind you that AI is not reporting him as being gay Valleywag is. And seeing that there has been no official confirmation from Cook himself he is hardly "out".

This is even worse. AI is reporting someone else's speculation. Gossip can damage reputations, and spreading gossip shows a clear lack of integrity and ethics on AI's part.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #87 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Spoonful of Lester View Post

As a gay man, I found this article inspiring and not at all offensive. Being gay is not offensive. And it sounds as if he's already out in his personal life, this is just the first time it's getting any media attention. But none of the content of this article was offensive in the slightest.

We need more people in power to be out and proud.

I agree being gay is not offensive but it is offensive if someone claims that you are and you aren't. What, may I ask, is inspiring about unconfirmed speculation?

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #88 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Seriously. This is gossip. And AI is reporting on gossip. Especially something as fiercely personal as this. I'd say it was an inappropriate and irresponsible choice to publish this

agreed.. someone's sexual orientation is completely irrelevant and definitely not news worthy.. at least not in a respected tech news site like AI. And by the way, being gay is not a "preference".
post #89 of 333
What a horrible article. Yes I applaud Apple for not having any prejudice's against any person's sexuality, but that is how it should be.

A person's sexuality is their personal life and has nothing to do with what they can / cannot achieve in working life.

I felt really awful reading this, the tone it is written is of the "gay people should live in their own, separate society and not mix with everyone else" type of way.

Besides that, the article is full of typo's. Seems the person writing it just wanted to do a quick job and not check their own work. Maybe if they had, they would have binned this pointless article.

"notorious manufacturing manufacturing inefficiencies" - What is manufacturing manufacturing?

"marking chief Phil Schiller" - I think that is VP or Worldwide Product Marketing

Demeter's quote "I'm just not sure that my being gay has anything to do with my business" sums up my opinion of the whole thing. He is 100% correct.

Please AI - Delete this article.

Phil
post #90 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is outrage because Appleinsider is an Apple gadget site, this crap isn't about gadgets at all. Frankly it is diving into peoples personal lives for no good reason. It is objectionable in the same way that diving into Steves health issues is objectionable. Of course many don't see the ugliness of that either, to which we can credit to being brought up in leftist households.

Appleinsider simply isn't the place for this. If one of the secretaries at Apple had a history of attending gang bangs would you want it detailed here? Seriously? For some it might be very interesting but let's face it there are plenty of sites on the net for that.

Except Obama has none of those qualities. That has nothing to do with hate it is just a reflection of reality. What is sad here is that you use this forum and pathetic thread to try to elevate this man beyond what he is capable of. I'm not sure if you are trying to pull focus away from the issue at hand or what. As to the issue at hand what does gay sex have to do with Apple gadgets? That in a nut shell is the problem with this thread.


By definition they are defective, just like anybody else with a birth defect. The great shame here is that any sort of birth defect associated with sex gets classed differently than any other birth defect. There is no justification for that. You can't go around treating people as leapers simple because of an accident of birth.

As to censorship that is BS in this case. Most of us come to AI to read up on Apple hardware, software and rumors. It isn't the place to discuss anybodies sex life, in that regard AI has failed miserably to excercise editorial control. Frankly this whole thread should be pulled because it pollutes the forum with crap that has nothing to do with Appleinsiders mission.

This post is offensive top to bottom. It's the reason we need to use the word gay in public once in a while. It allows us to identify these thoughts and counter them. Others have done that point by point already quite well.
As far as outing him- there is a 0% chance he hasn't considered this. It's the second largest company in the world, it's gonna come up. It sounds like he's comfortable with himself but won't let discussions of him being gay get in the way of apple. If he's going to run apple he's going to have to have that skill. I don't think it will be much of a challenge. He has bigger fish to fry and much bigger shoes to fill. Temporarily.
post #91 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is outrage because Appleinsider is an Apple gadget site, this crap isn't about gadgets at all. Frankly it is diving into peoples personal lives for no good reason. It is objectionable in the same way that diving into Steves health issues is objectionable. Of course many don't see the ugliness of that either, to which we can credit to being brought up in leftist households.

Appleinsider simply isn't the place for this. If one of the secretaries at Apple had a history of attending gang bangs would you want it detailed here? Seriously? For some it might be very interesting but let's face it there are plenty of sites on the net for that.

Except Obama has none of those qualities. That has nothing to do with hate it is just a reflection of reality. What is sad here is that you use this forum and pathetic thread to try to elevate this man beyond what he is capable of. I'm not sure if you are trying to pull focus away from the issue at hand or what. As to the issue at hand what does gay sex have to do with Apple gadgets? That in a nut shell is the problem with this thread.


By definition they are defective, just like anybody else with a birth defect. The great shame here is that any sort of birth defect associated with sex gets classed differently than any other birth defect. There is no justification for that. You can't go around treating people as leapers simple because of an accident of birth.

As to censorship that is BS in this case. Most of us come to AI to read up on Apple hardware, software and rumors. It isn't the place to discuss anybodies sex life, in that regard AI has failed miserably to excercise editorial control. Frankly this whole thread should be pulled because it pollutes the forum with crap that has nothing to do with Appleinsiders mission.

What AppleInsider publish is up to AppleInsider and NOT you.
Your choice in the matter is if you read it or not.

You said yourself you come her to read 'rumors', you can't have it both ways!
post #92 of 333
I think it is absolutely great if Tim Cook really is gay. His success could be a source of inspiration to young gay people.

However, the problem here is that Apple Insider is reporting gossip as if it is fact. What if Tim Cook actually isn't gay. What if he's a hard-working loner who is heterosexual but just never wanted to get married or be in a relationship. He is then placed in the position of having to say, "Actually, I'm not gay"... it's difficult to deny you are gay in a way that is gracious and where you don't come off looking like a homophobic douche bag (see: Tom Cruise).

If he wants to make an issue of his sexuality by e.g., giving an interview to The Advocate then fine, report it. But don't "out" someone who hasn't asked for it.
post #93 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Seriously. This is gossip. And AI is reporting on gossip. Especially something as fiercely personal as this. I'd say it was an inappropriate and irresponsible choice to publish this

Especially from this author.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #94 of 333
Don't ask please don't tell......
post #95 of 333
I'm not sure what I think about this. It's the oddest article to have come across on AI and seems irrelevant and yet though we are used to pop stars and celebrities and increasingly politicians saying they are gay it's still very rare in the business world.

I'm old enough to remember my teenage years when the only role models I had were Danny La Rue, Larry Grayson and Liberace! Hardly inspiring for a young man trying to work out why I felt different and what that meant. So, if a gay man or woman can see that you can be in Tim Cook's position and be gay then that's a big help to those who have doubts about their own place in the scheme of things.

Having said that, I hate people being 'outed' (unless they are hypocritical gay men or women) and I have never heard of Valleywag though it sounds like some kind of Silicon Valley gossip mag. If he's acknowledged being gay already then that's one thing but I don't know much background.

However, the article has dragged a few interesting response from AI posters the vast majority of which I'm pleased to see are very adult which is encouraging amongst a load of tech geeks I had to respond to a few:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye View Post

I've been looking for an article:

"Steve Jobs, the most powerful heterosexual man in Silicon Valley"

But... I didn't find it...

Well, obviously you won't find it - everyone is automatically assumed to be heterosexual until proved otherwise. Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Seriously though, there needs to be more info on gay people that do other things besides the above to counter that stereotype! I can't stand watching all that next fashion/model/bimbo-superstar crap on TV with all the flamboyant gay men. Imagine if you're gay and you don't have a great haircut (dyed a flamboyant colour), super-snazzy outfits or a tight body... it can be tough.

Spot on and goes to my opening remarks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Well I'm a gay man, and no, I'm not offended by the headline, but yes, it is a silly story... Of course Tim Cook is gay. who cares? and furthermore, did anyone really not know that already?

..

Well, I had no idea. How would I have known that? I am in the UK admittedly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If sexual orientation was a choice, then I would be worried about hiring him, because someone who would let that be done to them, what else might they do that could harm my company? But to the best of my knowledge the current science has gayness being genetic, so no worries.

An amazingly homophobic comment. " because someone who would let that be done to them, what else might they do that could harm my company?" Let what be done to them? What has this bizarre idea to do with what else they might to do your company? This is very twisted thinking indeed.

Secondly, what the hell has choice to do with anything? The idea that if you choose to love someone of the same sex it's hideous and horrible and wrong but if genetics "made me do it" then it's OK is SO bigoted. The questions for all things humans do should be "Does it cause suffering to another?", "Who is being hurt by this?" (And I don't mean whose morals are upset). If I suddenly chose to enter a relationship with a woman would that be completely wrong because I'm genetically gay? The twisted 'logic' people use to cloak their bigotry never fails to amaze. If you think something is wrong or immoral then say so and then we can discuss it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Gay? Who cares?

The real story is that Steve Jobs requires that Tim Cook and Phil Schiller wear colla'd shirts. Only The Anointed One may wear the black turtleneck.

Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

... but AI took it upon themselves to talk about an individual without even asking permission from said individual .... at least, afaik.

When was the last time that the media wrote about someone only after they'd asked them if it was OK first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

... personally I feel like a gay CEO should be a total non-issue. However, many people (and countries) don't see it that way. In big parts of the world, homophily is still a very big taboo.
And many of those areas where it's taboo are important growth markets for Apple.

I wonder how this will affect Apple's growth in areas such as China and the Middle East. I really cannot imagine those Saudi oil sheikhs buying $2000 laptops from a company that has a "sinfull" CEO. Maybe they'll even ban Apple products...

This is an interesting point around who you are and how much of yourself you hide. What if Steve Jobs announced last year that he was gay and that the "friend" he'd taken to all those staff parties etc. was in fact his partner? Should he pretend to be someone he's not just so that Apple's share price stays high? Should he in effect say that "Yes, your bigotry in [Apple export Market X] is entirely justifiable and as you you would hate me for being me I'll pretend I'm straight to ensure our company's health and your continued purchases". This is something many music artists and other 'media people' have grappled with. I suppose Elton John is a prime example - he got married and hid everything away for years. His career has not suffered for now being completely out. Of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

What a horrible article. Yes I applaud Apple for not having any prejudice's against any person's sexuality, but that is how it should be.

A person's sexuality is their personal life and has nothing to do with what they can / cannot achieve in working life.

In some way I agree but you see we are for the most part invisible. Let's say that you are gay and want to be a top footballer. You look to see what other footballers there are who you know are gay. How many do you find. 0. In the world. What is the conclusion? There are NO gay footballers. One, Justin Fashanu is still, 13 years on, the only professional footballer ever to have come out whilst he was still playing. He later committed suicide. Almost every single sports person we know to be gay came out after they left the sport with Gareth Jones as one of the very few exceptions.Why is this? Although being gay has no effect on whether you are or aren't able to play it could crush your spirit. Sitting in the changing rooms listening to homophobic abuse, hearing it shouted from the terraces at football matches and providing no role models. Imagine how it would feel if you were a straight sportsperson and every single footballer you knew of was gay? How would you feel?
post #96 of 333
So who cares if Tim Gay is a cook? It certainly doesn't affect how I see him.
post #97 of 333
I am a gay positive straight man and I think that this information is so intensely irrelevant that it defies expression. ALL I care about is that Apple continue to make me money and supply me me with good toys.
post #98 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

I'm not sure what I think about this. It's the oddest article to have come across on AI and seems irrelevant and yet though we are used to pop stars and celebrities and increasingly politicians saying they are gay it's still very rare in the business world.

I'm old enough to remember my teenage years when the only role models I had were Danny La Rue, Larry Grayson and Liberace! Hardly inspiring for a young man trying to work out why I felt different and what that meant. So, if a gay man or woman can see that you can be in Tim Cook's position and be gay then that's a big help to those who have doubts about their own place in the scheme of things.

Having said that, I hate people being 'outed' (unless they are hypocritical gay men or women) and I have never heard of Valleywag though it sounds like some kind of Silicon Valley gossip mag. If he's acknowledged being gay already then that's one thing but I don't know much background.

However, the article has dragged a few interesting response from AI posters the vast majority of which I'm pleased to see are very adult which is encouraging amongst a load of tech geeks I had to respond to a few:



Well, obviously you won't find it - everyone is automatically assumed to be heterosexual until proved otherwise. Doh!



Spot on and goes to my opening remarks!



Well, I had no idea. How would I have known that? I am in the UK admittedly.




An amazingly homophobic comment. " because someone who would let that be done to them, what else might they do that could harm my company?" Let what be done to them? What has this bizarre idea to do with what else they might to do your company? This is very twisted thinking indeed.

Secondly, what the hell has choice to do with anything? The idea that if you choose to love someone of the same sex it's hideous and horrible and wrong but if genetics "made me do it" then it's OK is SO bigoted. The questions for all things humans do should be "Does it cause suffering to another?", "Who is being hurt by this?" (And I don't mean whose morals are upset). If I suddenly chose to enter a relationship with a woman would that be completely wrong because I'm genetically gay? The twisted 'logic' people use to cloak their bigotry never fails to amaze. If you think something is wrong or immoral then say so and then we can discuss it.




Love it!



When was the last time that the media wrote about someone only after they'd asked them if it was OK first?



This is an interesting point around who you are and how much of yourself you hide. What if Steve Jobs announced last year that he was gay and that the "friend" he'd taken to all those staff parties etc. was in fact his partner? Should he pretend to be someone he's not just so that Apple's share price stays high? Should he in effect say that "Yes, your bigotry in [Apple export Market X] is entirely justifiable and as you you would hate me for being me I'll pretend I'm straight to ensure our company's health and your continued purchases". This is something many music artists and other 'media people' have grappled with. I suppose Elton John is a prime example - he got married and hid everything away for years. His career has not suffered for now being completely out. Of course



In some way I agree but you see we are for the most part invisible. Let's say that you are gay and want to be a top footballer. You look to see what other footballers there are who you know are gay. How many do you find. 0. In the world. What is the conclusion? There are NO gay footballers. One, Justin Fashanu is still, 13 years on, the only professional footballer ever to have come out whilst he was still playing. He later committed suicide. Almost every single sports person we know to be gay came out after they left the sport with Gareth Jones as one of the very few exceptions.Why is this? Although being gay has no effect on whether you are or aren't able to play it could crush your spirit. Sitting in the changing rooms listening to homophobic abuse, hearing it shouted from the terraces at football matches and providing no role models. Imagine how it would feel if you were a straight sportsperson and every single footballer you knew of was gay? How would you feel?

Noooooo, Kilted! Not Larry Grayson!!!

Used to know a guy at school who would always do Larry's leg kicks when he left a room -- and he's married now with kids. If that man isn't sneaking out at night, I'm a monkey's uncle.
post #99 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged110 View Post

A little piece of the Apple love inside of me just died. Guess it's time to find something else to love in the tech world.

I suspect some other parts inside of you were already dead.
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #100 of 333
Hopefully this will repel teabagger losers away from Apple and enhance the community even more.
post #101 of 333
I might be wrong in this, but could this simply be about a headline which draws more comments, talk and speculation then the CEO of Google changing? More page impressions and all that? Perhaps Appleinsider thinks, we do normal stuff but also every now and again some impression creating thingy just for extra hits? Possibly?
post #102 of 333
Big effing deal. Comments much more interesting than the story.
post #103 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaster73 View Post

If this was a story about the most powerful minority or female CEO in the US, everyone would be proud that Apple was getting this attention. (How many stories did we hear about Carly Fiorina when she took over at HP?)

This is why this story is powerful and needed, especially to many young gay kids who need good role models. Seeing one of the most successful companies have a gay man treated as an equal by Steve Jobs and the rest of the executive team is a powerful message. It also continues to breakdown stereotypes.

My only hope is he is out and this didn't 'out' him to the world against his wishes.

I think that is the major issue -- are they outing him against his wishes.

If they are, then your prior point about "young gay kids needing good role models" is put in jeopardy.

How can you be a role model if you are gay and not out?

If you are gay and choose not to be out, will success in your area of endeavor, subject you to being outed against your wishes.


I am 71 years old. I have seen prejudices and stereotypes of all kinds -- some demonstrated by society, friends and family.

I admit I have my own set of prejudices.


During those 71 years I have seen many "accepted prejudices" mitigated if not resolved.

Sometimes, it takes a bold public stance by a group or individual to bring attention to the issue.

Other times it takes an "in-your-face" attitude.

Still, other times, thoughtful discussion is required.

Sometimes, doing nothing (or little steps) while society catches up -- is in order.


Hopefully, someday, society will cast off its prejudices and those that practice them will be relegated to the fringes.


But, we must never lose respect for the individual and his wishes.


IMO, AI and DED have violated that respect by publishing this article.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #104 of 333
What the hell? This is supposed to be an Apple fansite and they have a great big headline calling one of the execs "gay."
post #105 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Hopefully this will repel teabagger losers away from Apple and enhance the community even more.

In which case Mac Daily News will be a ghost town today.
post #106 of 333
This article and many of ignorant comments (that I'm sure the writers would dismiss as jokes) are very disappointing. There is no honor or value here. Whether a person is gay or not is only meaningful to those who are naively "offended". I was hoping sites like AI would be above stirring hate.
post #107 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

This is actually the most relevant post in this entire topic if you ask me.

I have a few gay friends, and personally I feel like a gay CEO should be a total non-issue. However, many people (and countries) don't see it that way. In big parts of the world, homophily is still a very big taboo.
And many of those areas where it's taboo are important growth markets for Apple.

I wonder how this will affect Apple's growth in areas such as China and the Middle East. I really cannot imagine those Saudi oil sheikhs buying $2000 laptops from a company that has a "sinfull" CEO. Maybe they'll even ban Apple products... I really hope I'm wrong though, as to me, Tim Cook seems like an extremely capable guy that would be a very worthy successor for Steve Jobs, and I wish him all the best in running this company.

And I, together with many of the people here, hope that one day being gay will be a complete non-issue all over the world.

Funny you stated exactly what I was thinking: someone is taking... uh... ya... very low-blows... trying to bring down Apple's growth.

I can foresee kids getting beat up for liking their "fag-phone". This is just pathetic, as well as the story being regurgitated and thrown up here at AI, of all places. Link-Bait sucks!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #108 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Just because it wasn't slanderous doesn't mean it wasn't potentially embarrassing. There is such a thing as being concerned for a person's right to privacy.

Sure, but profiling a person and simply stating that they are gay is not and should not be considered embarrassing or an invasion of his privacy..

Now, if they were slandering him for being gay, and going on about details of his sex life and sexual partners, then yes, I'd consider that an invasion of privacy.. Being gay is a big part of who a person is, and without being invasive or going into details, this article listed plenty of other things about his life... He is dedicated, he is a workaholic, he is a fitness nut, and yes, he also happens to be gay.. big deal..
post #109 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that is the major issue -- are they outing him against his wishes.

If they are, then your prior point about "young gay kids needing good role models" is put in jeopardy.

How can you be a role model if you are gay and not out?

If you are gay and choose not to be out, will success in your area of endeavor, subject you to being outed against your wishes.


I am 71 years old. I have seen prejudices and stereotypes of all kinds -- some demonstrated by society, friends and family.

I admit I have my own set of prejudices.


During those 71 years I have seen many "accepted prejudices" mitigated if not resolved.

Sometimes, it takes a bold public stance by a group or individual to bring attention to the issue.

Other times it takes an "in-your-face" attitude.

Still, other times, thoughtful discussion is required.

Sometimes, doing nothing (or little steps) while society catches up -- is in order.


Hopefully, someday, society will cast off its prejudices and those that practice them will be relegated to the fringes.


But, we must never lose respect for the individual and his wishes.


IMO, AI and DED have violated that respect by publishing this article.

As always DA to the rescue! +100 to infinity!

Read it again all you close-minded freaks! Pointing at you Wizard69 & Friends with your pseudo-science definition crap!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #110 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Your idea of "offensive" might be different if the story was about you, no?

Absolutely not. I don't consider there to be anything even remotely 'offensive' about being gay.
post #111 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

What a horrible article. Yes I applaud Apple for not having any prejudice's against any person's sexuality, but that is how it should be.

A person's sexuality is their personal life and has nothing to do with what they can / cannot achieve in working life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

In some way I agree but you see we are for the most part invisible. Let's say that you are gay and want to be a top footballer. You look to see what other footballers there are who you know are gay. How many do you find. 0. In the world. What is the conclusion? There are NO gay footballers. One, Justin Fashanu is still, 13 years on, the only professional footballer ever to have come out whilst he was still playing. He later committed suicide. Almost every single sports person we know to be gay came out after they left the sport with Gareth Jones as one of the very few exceptions. Why is this? Although being gay has no effect on whether you are or aren't able to play it could crush your spirit. Sitting in the changing rooms listening to homophobic abuse, hearing it shouted from the terraces at football matches and providing no role models. Imagine how it would feel if you were a straight sportsperson and every single footballer you knew of was gay? How would you feel?

I emphasized the last few sentences because they really moved me.

I like to think that I can put myself in someone else's shoes -- and look at the world from his perspective.

I don't think I would even imagine the situation you presented.

How would I feel?

What would I do?

Questions to ponder...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #112 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Seriously. This is gossip. And AI is reporting on gossip. Especially something as fiercely personal as this. I'd say it was an inappropriate and irresponsible choice to publish this

I am not typically the overly politically correct type, but I agree with this. If he isn't out yet, it is kind of a poor decision to talk about it and discuss the situation. Bad move AI
post #113 of 333
I see valleywag is a Gawker Media site, the same folks who give us Gizmodo. They definitely have shown they have an axe to grind with Apple. I hope Tim Cook was out already if he is indeed gay. If Gawker waited until a time like this in his professional life to out him publicly then they are dirt. Doesn't matter to me at all if Tim Cook is gay or not. If the Apple Insider summary of his life is accurate he sounds like a pretty decent guy, the kind of guy you'd want to have running Apple.
post #114 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Sure, but profiling a person and simply stating that they are gay is not and should not be considered embarrassing or an invasion of his privacy..

Now, if they were slandering him for being gay, and going on about details of his sex life and sexual partners, then yes, I'd consider that an invasion of privacy.. Being gay is a big part of who a person is, and without being invasive or going into details, this article listed plenty of other things about his life... He is dedicated, he is a workaholic, he is a fitness nut, and yes, he also happens to be gay.. big deal..

It IS a BIG deal because as you can see on this thread, there are people that will hold being gay openly or privately, against the person and against the company and his/her achievements. That's just the way it unfortunately "still" is.

For those that have "lost a little love for Apple", may I suggest you just quit consuming anything entertainment wise... at all. No TV, music, movies, newspapers, magazines... nada. Oh... and don't forget to go naked everywhere, unless you made your clothes and shoes yourself.

Why? Because the entertainment, publishing, ad agency, and fashion business creates darn near nothing without having at least 1 (most times many more) extremely talented gay designers behind the scenes.

I'm not going to state my sexual preference one way or the other, but I've been involved in all of the businesses above for 30+ years, and ya know what? Those I most enjoy working with are talented, hardworking, dedicated, individuals. Many of the very best among those individuals happen to be gay. The bad part is that very often those individuals to be deemed the best for the next rung up on the ladder, or to be the front-facing person of the company... don't get the chance due to investors or owners being afraid of the "gay" backlash.

Is that bias justified? I would say most definitely: no. But just look at the problems this thread has already dredged up out of the "Imbecile Gutter of Thought".

"Those that supposedly have balls, just don't know how to use them when it counts".

Leave it to SJ to know how to get it right though. Is he really the only visionary business leader on earth? Really? How demoralizing.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #115 of 333
I am ashamed that I spent two minutes of my life reading this article.

AI -- get your act together or you're off my bookmarks and RSS feed.
post #116 of 333
Quote:
Sitting in the changing rooms listening to homophobic abuse, hearing it shouted from the terraces at football matches and providing no role models. Imagine how it would feel if you were a straight sportsperson and every single footballer you knew of was gay? How would you feel?

@Dick - it's most surely an experience, I can tell ya. Imagine being made fun of, and having to prove your personal talent in a room full of very talented gay people. My life story... but I would have it NO OTHER WAY! Made me not only a better designer, but a better person, and able to shrug that "fly-over-country" jock attitude I landed in LA with, mighty fast!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #117 of 333
OMG, sell the stock and run for the hills. This is 2011 - is this necessary as a story? Does it impact the fact I dumped my iPhone because I despised ATT? Get passed it, will you.
post #118 of 333
So, let me get this right, Daniel Eran Dilger: You wrote an article that's based on tabloid gossip about Tim Cook, and then you verified the veracity of that gossip by including everything that you knew would support that gossip, stopping short of outright confirming that gossip but clearly indicating that you know the gossip to be true.

What kind of human being are you?

I bet you wrote this article thinking that you were doing something good, not realizing that you were doing something harmful to another person. Your priorities are not what you think they are. What you've done is truly despicable, and you yourself have my contempt.

If today you do not issue a public and personal apology to Tim Cook, this will be the last day that I read Apple Insider.
post #119 of 333
Change the name of the site to Apple OUTsider. C'mon guys, slow news day? Even if it's true it's not worth spreading. If he is gay, I hope he comes out professionally, but it should be on his terms.
Do you have Perez Hilton writing articles now?
post #120 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Gay or not, he seems to know how to lead the team troops when Steve is unavailable. I am amazed that gender, race and sexual orientation are even an issue when assessing someone's ability to lead a company. People should be considered on their merits.

Personally I consider this a non-issue. What does Cook's sexual orientation have any relevance to the running of Apple?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley"