or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799

Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799 - Page 4

post #121 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Do you mean sloppy OS?

Why don't you reply to my point rather than change the subject.
post #122 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Typical fanboy response: Provide no data and call other people names. Ok, I'm done. It's not worth my time talking to you.

Typical lost fandroid. Go back to Android Central and bash Apple there.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
post #123 of 192
Quote:

Why don't you reply to my point rather than change the subject.

Angry Birds run very well on iOS. But sloppy OS makes blind OS zealot think the code is sloppy, rather than the OS itself.
post #124 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Why is are the Rage and Unreal engines only on iOS you think?

You mean like the Unreal game for Android - http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...e-rumours-grow ?

"Florida-based studio Trendy Entertainment has ported its Dungeon Defenders game which was built with UE3 to Android devices just days after its iOS release."
post #125 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

it will probably look more attractive when it's priced with a 2 year contract.

remember, the 3G ipad costs $629 for just a 16GB model. without expandable memory it's hard to recommend spending less than $729 on a 3G ipad.

But will contract pricing actually make a tablet more attractive?

That works for phones because everyone wants and needs a phone. But if you're looking at a subsidized Android tablet you're looking at a fixed monthly cost in addition to your phone's data plan and you're likely to think twice.

I think full price with month to month data availability is the better way to go, ala the iPad and AT&T.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #126 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

They already have - it's called 'pricing'. And Apple will sell millions on name recognition alone.

Apple`s pricing for a comparable iPAD is $30 more expensive AND not as powerful/capable as the Xoom.(According to posted specs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The base iPad starts at $499. Apple's average selling price for all iPads sold last quarter-- according to their last quarterly report-- was less than this device will cost. If you factor in first-mover advantages and word-of-mouth over the holidays, combined with Apple's huge retail presence, this tablet would have a hard time competing with the current iPad. It doesn't help matters that it will actually be competing with an upgraded iPad.

Don`t you think it`s kind of disingenuous to compare the cheapest iPad with the Xoom?
The specs of each machine would lead me to compare the Xoom to the 64gb 3G iPad which is $30.00 more expensive AND not as capable as the Xoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

How many people are buying the highest end iPad? My guess is the $499 16GB/wifi-only model is most popular based on what my friends/family have bought. No way of knowing for sure since Apple doesn't release exact sales figures.

Doesn`t matter who is buying the highest end iPad.
The fact remains when compared according to capability the Xoom is a better deal and a better tablet (According to posted specs)

In the end only tech geeks really give a damn.
The masses will continue to drop their $500.00 on the cheapest least capable iPad.
post #127 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It doesnt seem to have worked well for netbooks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #128 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

Don`t you think it`s kind of disingenuous to compare the cheapest iPad with the Xoom?
The specs of each machine would lead me to compare the Xoom to the 64gb 3G iPad which is $30.00 more expensive AND not as capable as the Xoom.

You say it’s disingenuous to compare the 16GB iPad WiFi to the 32GB Xoom with 3G*— even though he’s not comparing it to the Xoom but making a completely different and valid point — yet you then compare to the 64GB iPad WiFi+3G to claim the device introduced over a year ago is less capable and more expensive.
post #129 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Lol, no it wasn't. The demo consisted of showing a series of videos of the functionality on the device. Smoke and mirrors!

Nope

Seeing as the demos was a series of videos, I highly doubt it, at least not that would have given the journo's anything meaningful.

Perhaps, Moto plans to overcome their disadvantages and high price through merchandising:

[
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #130 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, HaHaWhatever is almost certainly tekstud. You can't fake the complete lack of reasoning abilities, the mistaken facts, the backpedaling and claims that one said the opposite of what one did, 3 posts later. "select * from tekstud_knowledge;" still returns 0 rows.

That's the first SQL joke I've seen
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #131 of 192
Quote:

Apple`s pricing for a comparable iPAD is $30 more expensive AND not as powerful/capable as the Xoom.(According to posted specs.)

Apple's pricing for a comparable iPad is $70 cheaper($729). However, I do agree with your assessment that the Xoom is the paper champ, unfortunately, real-world performance is what determines value - ouchy!!
post #132 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When is Honeycomb due?

After they resolve the Sun patent issues maybe?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #133 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Ehhhrrr.... no, no they don't. Most people buy their computers and then just use it. Most people *don't care* about OS versions. Most people don't even *know* their OS version if you ask them.

Not totally disagreeing but that is mostly PC users I think. Even my old friend who is 88 proudly tells me his iMac is now on 10.6.6, it is so simple for him to keep up to date with Apple software update.
post #134 of 192
Quote:

Do you mean sloppy OS?

Quote:

You mean like the Unreal game for Android - http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...e-rumours-grow ?

"Florida-based studio Trendy Entertainment has ported its Dungeon Defenders game which was built with UE3 to Android devices just days after its iOS release."

Ha, the Android device NEEDS twice the RAM, 200MHz faster CPU than the iOS game. Sounds like a sloppy OS to me, and from my own experience of OWNING an HTC Desire running Android 2.1, I can say Android is indeed shite!
post #135 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That works for phones because everyone wants and needs a phone. But if you're looking at a subsidized Android tablet you're looking at a fixed monthly cost in addition to your phone's data plan and you're likely to think twice.

I think full price with month to month data availability is the better way to go, ala the iPad and AT&T.

Maybe, but in the UK you can get a 32GB 3G+WiFi iPad for £199 subsidised with a 2-year contract. So nothing can make an Android Tablet look THAT attractive.
post #136 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Why do you think so many people dislike Apple? It's not the products, it's the terrible behavior of the people who use them.

Yea, like Lee Harvey Oswald at the grassy knoll with his Macbook Air and Pablo Escobar snorting coke off his Newton Messagepad screen.
post #137 of 192
Quote:

Ha, the Android device NEEDS twice the RAM, 200MHz faster CPU than the iOS game. Sounds like a sloppy OS to me, and from my own experience of OWNING an HTC Desire running Android 2.1, I can say Android is indeed shite!

Typical fanboy. Rant and rave, and when you're proven wrong, change the subject, rant and rave some more, and call other technologies names. I honestly wonder why I even bother posting here anymore, since the probability of intelligent conversation is nearly zero.
post #138 of 192
Quote:

Typical fanboy. Rant and rave, and when you're proven wrong, change the subject, rant and rave some more, and call other technologies names. I honestly wonder why I even bother posting here anymore, since the probability of intelligent conversation is nearly zero.

When was I proven wrong? The response I was replying to had nothing to do with me.
But my minimum requirements specs were straight from the developers. I didn't pull them out of my ass.

http://androidandme.com/2010/12/game...now-available/

But hey if you want to rant at me go ahead.
post #139 of 192
tawilson 1
derekmorr 0
post #140 of 192
Quote:

tawilson 1
derekmorr 0

Yep Derek,

That's the cost of being all emotional. You fire straight from the hip without thinking thugs through. :-P

Feel free to come back for another slice of humble pie anytime.
post #141 of 192
Quote:

Didn't realize you worked for Apple or AT&T. Great sales line.

This is not AT&T. You need a regular contract.

Some people don't realize when it is better to shut their mouth and hope nobody notices.
post #142 of 192
Why is that guy comparing yesteryear's 64 GB iPad with tomorrow's vapor 32GB Xoom and declare that Apple's offering is more expensive?

Rather than trolling I mean?
post #143 of 192
It is clear Moto has no experience in the PC business. If they did they would know you can't sell crap for the same price as an Apple product. You have to sell things for what they are worth. Moto needs to sell this for $399 tops. Even if it is every bit as good as an iPad. Moto is not known for making high quality products.
post #144 of 192
Quote:

Yep Derek,

That's the cost of being all emotional. You fire straight from the hip without thinking thugs through. :-P

Feel free to come back for another slice of humble pie anytime.

Who's being emotional? The original poster claimed that Android sucks b/c the Unreal engine hadn't been ported. He was wrong. Then you chimed in and moved the goalposts. There could be any number of reasons for different system requirements. It's ridiculous to overgeneralize.
post #145 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

It is clear Moto has no experience in the PC business. If they did they would know you can't sell crap for the same price as an Apple product. You have to sell things for what they are worth. Moto needs to sell this for $399 tops. Even if it is every bit as good as an iPad. Moto is not known for making high quality products.

They did the droid... I think that as far as I've seen, the iPad is the clear winner of 2011

Another issue popped up my mind when I saw the pixel count of the Xoom which is slightly higher than the iPad's, at 1200x800.

We know how desperately Apple is trying to maintain some numbers so that the usage of the OS by all apps is not destroyed by having said apps been designed with some pixel count in mind. This concern made Apple double iPhone's screen rather than go 1.2X or 1.5x or something like that. We also know that Apple is probably building a 2048x1536 screen (the real question is if whether we will get it with iPad 2 or not... Gruber doesn't think so) for that same reason. Apple will never consider a 1600x1200 screen, for instance.

Now, this screen displays a 3:2 ratio, while other tablets have other kind of screens, like 800x600 (4:3), 1024x768 (4:3), probably 960x640, etc. How does Honeycomb deal with this issue?

If iPad 3 or 4 showcases a 2048x1536, how will Honeycomb deal with a madness of a list of screen numbers, like 1600x1200, 1800x1200, 1440x1280, or even 16:9 screen estates, like 1600x900, 1200x675, etc? How will apps "smoothly" be integrated in this variety?

Without the blurry antialiasing, of course.
post #146 of 192
Quote:

I wonder why you posted here in the first place. Why do android fans come to a sites for apple owners and then start arguments? Get a life. I certainly don't want to waste my time going to a google android site and yap about how great apple is. Waste of time.
post #147 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Answer: you root it

Perhaps you could explain that in 5000 words or less.
post #148 of 192
Quote:

Who's being emotional? The original poster claimed that Android sucks b/c the Unreal engine hadn't been ported. He was wrong. Then you chimed in and moved the goalposts. There could be any number of reasons for different system requirements. It's ridiculous to overgeneralize.

There are 170+ Android devices, about 10% are comparable/slightly better than 3GS, and the rest a POS from unknown makers like Eken, 1und1, FirstOne, Forsa, MENQ, Dopod, etc. But Android zealots always brag that Android phone is better than iPhone (3GS). Now you said it is ridiculous to overgeneralize.
post #149 of 192
Quote:

There are 170+ Android devices, about 10% are comparable/slightly better than 3GS, and the rest a POS from unknown makers like Eken, 1und1, FirstOne, Forsa, MENQ, Dopod, etc. But Android zealots always brag that Android phone is better than iPhone (3GS). Now you said it is ridiculous to overgeneralize.

What? I haven't made any comments about Android hardware relative to the iPhone 3GS. What is your evidence for the 10% claim? Is there an Android device database you're referencing? And how are you measuring this 10% claim - 10% of the shipped devices or 10% of the device types? I suspect you're just making things up.
post #150 of 192
Quote:

Fragmentation is a myth. It's a non-issue drummed up to malign Android. There is zero evidence that this alleged "fragmentation" is causing problems -- Android is neck-and-neck with iOS in terms of total devices shipped, new devices activated, etc.

Quote:

It's ridiculous to overgeneralize.

it’s almost like two people using the same account but not coordinating their comments.
post #151 of 192
Quote:

its almost like two people using the same account but not coordinating their comments.

Ummm.... what? There's nothing contradictory about those statements.
post #152 of 192
Quote:

The thing is that while the iPad isn't really like an iPhone, it really does look like one. The homescreen is virtually the same and at first glance, you would think it was in fact a giant-iPhone.

While the Xoom is like the iPad in many respects, I really do like how they did the menu by actually making it suitable for a tablet to not make it look like a phone. I hope Apple does the same. It would really make it stand out even more from the iPhone.

Dress your pathetic commentary up however you want but millions of ipads will be sold for each xoom sold. Numbers talk.
post #153 of 192
Quote:

I don`t see why everyone seems to find this too expensive.

It`s only $70 more than the closest comparable iPad with what seems to be superior specs and abilities.

Honeycomb looks sweet and this thing can do things the first gen iPad can`t.

Apple better come up with something good in the second gen iPad.

Hard to say that it can do things the iPad can't since nobody has really seen it in action yet. The demo in Vegas was not really a demo, only a video. It seems to me that if it is going to ship in Feb. that they should have been able to show it in action.
post #154 of 192
Quote:

A
The fact remains when compared according to capability the Xoom is a better deal and a better tablet (According to posted specs)

Maybe according to posted specs it is a better deal and a better tablet, but the key words are "according to posted specs." Nobody has gotten their hands on the Xoom yet so we don't really know.

Besides that, the typical argument against Apple products has to do with the Apple tax and that you can buy something more customizable, upgradeable, and capable for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.
Why aren't we seeing something with the specs of the Xoom available for less than $400.
post #155 of 192
after seeing the demo of android 3 i think this is going to be the first "real" competition its a very smooth operator to the ipad. but timing is everything and with the ipad 2 due. this competition has really got a long way to go.
post #156 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Dress your pathetic commentary up however you want but millions of ipads will be sold for each xoom sold. Numbers talk.

Sorry for making a suggestion to the oh-so-holy Apple Inc.
post #157 of 192
Quote:

Name one. Aside from Angry Birds (an issue that appeared to be due to sloppy code), I haven't heard of any.

Lets see. Maybe TweetDeck. Oh, and how about the fact Google of all developers went for awhile without their search app on the Android store until they coded a new "old" version! All because they broke something fundamental between 2.1 and 2.2. Something that wasn't a bug and wasn't a planned deprecation related change. They had to fragment their flagship app just to get it to run, pulling it off the store so it wouldn't accidentally update and break running older versions. Yeah, good QA on that one. This is just the user part of the story: http://searchengineland.com/android-...-android-56582

These are only the easy-to-dig-back-up-out-of-a-whole-grunge of app dev or user complaints.

Yeah, there's no fragmentation. Google decided they were going to not offer a 2.1 version of their Search App after 2.2 shipped. Yeah, you keep telling yourself there's no fragmentation.
post #158 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Lets see. Maybe TweetDeck.

Huh? The Tweetdeck developers specifically said that developing for Android wasn't a problem : http://www.businessinsider.com/tweet...e-jobs-2010-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Oh, and how about the fact Google of all developers went for awhile without their search app on the Android store until they coded a new "old" version! All because they broke something fundamental between 2.1 and 2.2.

You don't know what you're talking about. No one "broke" anything from 2.1 to 2.2, and the Google Search app is present. You're talking about Voice Actions.

The article you linked to is very poorly written and the author clearly doesn't understand how to use his phone. If you want to install a new search widget, for say, Bing or Yahoo, all you have to do is download it from the Market. To change the default search engine in the browser, go to Menu -> More -> Settings and scroll to the bottom. There's an entry labeled "Set search engine."
post #159 of 192
Quote:

Sorry for making a suggestion to the oh-so-holy Apple Inc.

The whole point of the iPhone and iPad is that they ARE so similar. Introducing a whole new interface causes issues for the MAIN purchasers of Apple products, the 99.99% of buyers who are not 'techies'. This is the reason that Apple is taking these elements to the Mac in 10.7, as it creates a more consistent interface across all of their products and leads to easier adoption by users.

Apple don't make products for the techie geeks they make products for the masses, yet you fail to grasp this and somehow think that you can do better than a multi billion dollar business can.
post #160 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

So Apple's going to sell billions of iPads if Moto sells only 1,000 Xoom units? Hardly.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Xoom will outsell the iPad - or even come close. But discarding it out of hand is foolish. It looks like the first real competition that the iPad will face. Sure, iPad2 is just around the corner and Apple's ecosystem and UI are hard to beat, but SOMEONE is going to be #2 - and Xoom looks like it has a decent shot at doing that.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799