or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Apple iPhone 'two is better than one' ad promotes Verizon, AT&T

New Apple iPhone 'two is better than one' ad promotes Verizon, AT&T - Page 3

post #81 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Microsoft made a lot of money by not excluding the Mac platform even when it only had single digit market share. It turned out to be a very smart strategy in the long run.

I am not sure why you responded to this post in such manner. I have stated elsewhere that I think that Sprint will get the iPhone since there are no technical hurdles for Apple to address; I am not so sure about T-Mobile until the LTE iPhone arrives.

Apple appears to be expanding their carrier relationships globally and I think that is a smart move.
post #82 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree with this. V & D is an infrequently used feature. It is sort of like my 4x4 SUV. I like having four wheel drive when I need it for snow or rain but most people get along just fine with two wheel drive. What is the worst thing that could happen without V & D? You miss an email for 5 minutes, have to call someone back? Not exactly a huge inconvenience.

What's the worst thing that can happen without 4x4? Maybe you hang out at the bottom of the snowy hill for the night instead of driving home, right?

The worst thing that can happen without V&D is not the delayed email, it's the loss of productivity when you are on the phone. For people for whom time is money, wasting 15 minutes staring at the wall instead of doing something productive means 15 less minutes at home with the family.

People who claim it's not a big deal invariably don't have it, so they don't understand why you would want it.
post #83 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatch View Post

"Two is," not "two are?" Where have all the English teachers gone?

I bet they went round and round with that one. 'Two' could be seen as a collective singular, though, like you would say 'two is more than one.'

But in the end, in advertising, you get to Think Different.
post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

People who claim it's not a big deal invariably don't have it, so they don't understand why you would want it.

The worst thing that can happen without V&D is not the delayed email, it's the loss of productivity when you are on the phone. For people for whom time is money, wasting 15 minutes staring at the wall instead of doing something productive means 15 less minutes at home with the family.

You talk about productivity, so you must use your phone for business. My business calls on the cell phone are usually like "stuck in traffic, be there in 5 minutes, bye." All of my important business calls are on LL, or Skype for international contacts. I probably use around 15 minutes of voice per day so even though I do have AT&T iPhone, the V&D part is no big deal for me.

Edit: I know I have argued the inverse of this topic in other threads but it is nice to have when you need it, I just don't need it that often. And now everyone has a choice.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #85 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I have stated elsewhere that I think that Sprint will get the iPhone since there are no technical hurdles for Apple to address; I am not so sure about T-Mobile until the LTE iPhone arrives.

Apple appears to be expanding their carrier relationships globally and I think that is a smart move.

I thought T-Mobile was GSM? My UK iPhone seemed to stay on T-Mobile most of the week when I visited NYC at the end of last year. I wasn't using any data though: do T-Mobile US use something different for the data? It never detected a Sprint network so I assumed they have another technology.
post #86 of 125
This comment personally retracted in order to stay on topic.
post #87 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I bet they went round and round with that one. 'Two' could be seen as a collective singular, though, like you would say 'two is more than one.'

But in the end, in advertising, you get to Think Different.

Yeah, I think collective singular is appropriate here, since it's being presented as a specific condition, "twoness", that trumps mere oneness.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #88 of 125
Quote:

You talk about productivity, so you must use your phone for business. My business calls on the cell phone are usually like "stuck in traffic, be there in 5 minutes, bye." All of my important business calls are on LL, or Skype for international contacts. I probably use around 15 minutes of voice per day so even though I do have AT&T iPhone, the V&D part is no big deal for me.

Edit: I know I have argued the inverse of this topic in other threads but it is nice to have when you need it, I just don't need it that often. And now everyone has a choice.

If you use 15 minutes per day, that works out to less than 400 per month (5 days a week). Which is smaller than ATT's smallest plan. So it should be self-evident that your usage is not typical of ATT (or Verizon) users.
post #89 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

If you use 15 minutes per day, that works out to less than 400 per month (5 days a week). Which is smaller than ATT's smallest plan. So it should be self-evident that your usage is not typical of ATT (or Verizon) users.

You are the one who said invariably. 450 minutes is probably the the most common plan AT&T offers. Still, I can count on one hand how many times I use V&D each month, and not intentionally using it. Seriously how productive can you be while on a cell call unless you have a computer as well? What is the other person doing while you are surfing the web and reading email?

post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I thought T-Mobile was GSM? My UK iPhone seemed to stay on T-Mobile most of the week when I visited NYC at the end of last year. I wasn't using any data though: do T-Mobile US use something different for the data? It never detected a Sprint network so I assumed they have another technology.

It's GSM and UMTS, just like all iPhones between June 2008 and January 2011. Unfortunately it still needs additional HW for it to be a fully compatible device on T-Mobile USA's network. IOW, the HW would need to be updated for Apple and T-Mo to partner in the US.

T-Mobile USA uses the wonky 1700Mhz AWS band for UMTS. Despite having 5 UMTS radio spectrums inside, of which only 4 are currently in use, it would need to add a 6th or replace one before T-Mobile USA will give better than EDGE for data.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #91 of 125
Quote:

You are the one who said invariably. 450 minutes is probably the the most common plan AT&T offers. Still, I can count on one hand how many times I use V&D each month, and not intentionally using it. Seriously how productive can you be while on a cell call unless you have a computer as well? What is the other person doing while you are surfing the web and reading email?

From being in a hold, to looking up a movie or address, or getting or sending an MMS or email from someone you're on a call with, to looking up reading a website for various other data to relay to "relayee" from the caller.

I suppose you can say thing about smartphones.... and people have until they decided to get one and now can't live without it. Technology moves from luxury to necessity, from want to need. It's the way of things.
post #92 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

From being in a hold, to looking up a movie or address, or getting or sending an MMS or email from someone you're on a call with, to looking up reading a website for various other data to relay to "relayee" from the caller.

I suppose you can say thing about smartphones.... and people have until they decided to get one and now can't live without it. Technology moves from luxury to necessity, from want to need. It's the way of things.

Oh I understand your points, and don't disagree. I'm just saying my life isn't that complicated. When I'm out and about, I'm usually in transit somewhere or occupied in some activity, almost never idly seated somewhere that would make it convenient to juggle various communications. The one time I might need it is to verify a location with someone on the spur of the moment due to missed connection meet up etc. Then yes. I realize I may have different usage patterns than many here but I don't think my phone usage is at all uncommon with the general public.

Remember I'm not arguing against it, I just don't see it as a deal breaker for Verizon customers.

post #93 of 125
Quote:

Nice anecdote. What we are interested on this site is how any of this affects the sales of iPhone devices.

you see the evidence is

1) Verizon is the biggest carrier in the US regardless of it's lack of V&D
2) Verizon is the biggest carrier in the US because people do care about coverage.
3) AT&T is attacked in technical blogs, newspapers, and on TV (the Daily Show) for it's poor coverage in Urban areas. And US rural coverage.
4) There has been no flocking of Android users to AT&T to get this feature.
5) There is an expected large amount of AT&T iPhone defectors to Verizon because of the coverage issue.

Facts. Not anecdotes about your life. Tell us about your cat sometime.

Actually, dont.

If this mattered to any significant number of people it would be an issue, Verizon would be losing customers and the company would spend money, much more money, on upgrading their networks.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #94 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Tell us about your cat sometime.

Solipsism has a cat? Hey, tell us more. Does your cat have its own iPhone? iPad?

What type of food do you feed your cat? Do you go for walks together? How old is the cat?

What's its name?

Cool... you've got a cat...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #95 of 125
Quote:

Remember I'm not arguing against it, I just don't see it as a deal breaker for Verizon customers.

Its obviously not a deal breaker for Verizon customers or they wouldnt be Verizon customers in the first place. Im sure its not a deal breaker for many UMTS-based customers around the world either. Personally, the slower speeds of Verizon are more of a deal breaker for me than the SV&D, but that might be because I now use my iPad a lot more in public since the 4.3 betas have a hidden multi-tasking feature. Yeah, that feature got me into the iPad as an every day device.

I bet the majority that are using phones with that feature fall into the category of A) not even realizing thats a feature to B) not realizing thats not a feature all carriers offer to C) not thinking its a big deal.

What sucks about having this feature and all such technological evolutions is once you no longer have it you may miss how important it was to you, even for the very few times you used it. We may very well see this with AT&T customers that move to Verizon for the iPhone. Perhaps something along the lines of I didnt think Id miss SV&D but now that Im on Verizon I realize just how much I used without realizing it/I took it for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Nice anecdote. What we are interested on this site is how any of this affects the sales of iPhone devices.

Seriously, learn WTF an anecdote is. If you can figure out how to post on this forum you can figure out how to look up a fraking word on dictionary.com. I shouldnt have to tell you twice.
post #96 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Solipsism has a cat? Hey, tell us more. Does your cat have its own iPhone? iPad?

What type of food do you feed your cat? Do you go for walks together? How old is the cat?

What's its name?

Cool... you've got a cat...

I have a funny story about my cat allergies.

I’m afraid to ask what his “evidence” of all these defectors to Verizon for the iPhone as I’m sure I’ll just get an irrational, juvenile response that makes absolutely no sense. Who would defect to Verizon for the iPhone before it comes out? Why were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone? Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks?

FYI: asdasd, that would have been an anecdote.
post #97 of 125
Quote:

Im afraid to ask what his evidence of all these defectors to Verizon for the iPhone as Im sure Ill just get an irrational, juvenile response that makes absolutely no sense. Who would defect to Verizon for the iPhone before it comes out? Why were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone? Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks?

Hello Solipsism,

I don't know who you are. I have read many of your posts. I admire the way you argue a point. You generally have decent facts to back up your point of view. Its a good give and take. But what I can't understand is when someone doesn't eventually give into your point of view, you resort to name calling and a general childish way to attack a person's personality. It looks bad.

I'm not trying to change you. Obviously you are happy with the kind of person you are. I just wish you would stop the name calling. It lowers your point in my opinion. Specifically, does your debater have to have a "juvenile response" to answer your opinion.
post #98 of 125
Quote:

Seriously, learn WTF an anecdote is. If you can figure out how to post on this forum you can figure
out how to look up a fraking word on dictionary.com. I shouldn’t have to tell you twice.

I know what an anecdote is. I explained it to you. I can not do any more. Your meandering half-witted discussions about how you use the V&D are anecdotes of little relevance to anybody, my list of reasons why none of this matters to real people included a list of ( admittedly forward looking) statistics.

Quote:
I’m afraid to ask what his “evidence” of all these defectors to Verizon for the iPhone as I’m sure I’ll just get an irrational, juvenile response that makes absolutely no sense. Who would defect to Verizon for the iPhone before it comes out? Why were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone? Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks?

FFS. It's like talking to a real dumb two year old with learning problems. I continually mentioned that analysts were predicting a movement to Verizon from iPhone users, like in this easy to search for article. Already posted on this website.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...erizon-iphone/

Obviously I, and every other poster on the forum know that the Verizon iPhone has not gone on sale yet. Thats why I talked about predictions.

That link is an analyst prediction of 6M iPhone using defectors to verizon. It is also a statistic - not a story about how I use my iPhone. Try that sometime.

Quote:
hy were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone?
Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks

WTF does any of that mean, outside of the voices in your head do you think it makes the slightest bit of sense? 2 weeks? What? Do you think thay anybody who defects has to in the next two weeks? Do you think that people might wait until their contract is up?

Over time this year as analysts are predicting, people will move their existing iPhones to a Verizon contract, or get new iPhones on an Verizon contract because they prefer Verizon. Why? Because they care about coverage, and not at all about V&D, your stories about how you use the phone are therefore irrelevant. Except to you. Go write a blog.

And since I cannot deal with morons - go to ignore.
post #99 of 125
Quote:

Im afraid to ask what his evidence of all these defectors to Verizon for the iPhone as Im sure Ill just get an irrational, juvenile response that makes absolutely no sense. Who would defect to Verizon for the iPhone before it comes out? Why were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone? Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks?

No it wouldnt. What that is a jumbled up set of sentences which makes no sense in the sane world. But - to ignore.
post #100 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

So far, ATT doesn't carry any good Android phones, and the one-size-fits-all iPhone is very limited in capabilities.

The Samsung Galaxy S is one of Android's flagships, AT&T has one of the variants.

I guess it just goes to show how bad Android phones really are if you think AT&T doesn't have any good ones.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #101 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Good for you.

So for those that only use about half a GB you can get a 1GB plan in Australia for $1656 ($69/month) over 2 years.

Or you can get a 4 GB plan for $2400/2years.

In effect, you are paying ($2400 less $199 less $1656) over $500 for the iPhone if you are the average data user.

And note, in America, for $199 iPhone you can virtually call over 300 more people for free and get unlimited data. Plus a lot of other things you may want or not.

I pay $59 a month with 2GB a month with a free iPhone 4 16GB, $700 worth of calls, unlimited SMS/MMS and unlimited calls to two Australian networks.

I've never come close to using 2GB.
post #102 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The original iPhone did not have simultaneous voice and data. That came with 3G. Even modern AT&T iPhones will lose simultaneous voice and data when falling back to the GSM EDGE network.

Is that like the original Android phones not having multitouch i.e. irrelevant?
post #103 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

Hello Solipsism,

I don't know who you are. I have read many of your posts. I admire the way you argue a point. You generally have decent facts to back up your point of view. Its a good give and take. But what I can't understand is when someone doesn't eventually give into your point of view, you resort to name calling and a general childish way to attack a person's personality. It looks bad.

I'm not trying to change you. Obviously you are happy with the kind of person you are. I just wish you would stop the name calling. It lowers your point in my opinion. Specifically, does your debater have to have a "juvenile response" to answer your opinion.

Add him to your IGNORE list and the site becomes a much better experience without the gobbledygook he spews. And his name calling- his modus operandi. There is a reason for his 22,000 posts- but I refuse to engage in obvious name calling. Perhaps he thinks he'll win some sort of prize.
post #104 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The Samsung Galaxy S is one of Android's flagships, AT&T has one of the variants.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

The last time I checked, they had nothing worth considering. Motorola Backflip? Only a moron would buy one of those.

Is the Samsung the only hot Android they sell? Does it have some sort of overlay, or does it have a real Android interface? One of these days I'll go take a look at it. For the time being, however, I'm locked into the iPhone.
post #105 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFirst View Post

Anyone notice that they didn't do a Safari page load time comparison but just a double-tap to zoom?

Content from iTunes. Sequences shortened.
post #106 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Is that like the original Android phones not having multitouch i.e. irrelevant?

I don't know, and I don't really care.
All I was saying was that simutaneous voice & data is a GSM 3G feature, but the original iPhone was EDGE only, and current AT&T iPhones still fall back to EDGE in less populated places where AT&T has no 3G service.

I have found it indispensable when I'm on the phone and someone asks me to look something up on Google or Maps. I don't have to say, "let me look that up and call you back."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #107 of 125
Quote:

Hello Solipsism,

For another point of view:

If you want to see name calling then stick around and read a few of my posts.

I don't agree in the slightest with what you are saying about Solipsism. In this case he's dealing with a guy who is obviously acting moronic and whose only objective is to get Solipsism's goat.

I think your problem is that you can't see obvious trolls. Maybe that's Solipsism's only sin... he answered a troll... but, hey, sometimes it's fun to play with them.

[... and... think about this... you, in turn, said that Solipsism resorted to a generally childish way... maybe that's only in your own mind, maybe you are now insulting Solipsism using a personal attack... maybe you are projecting.

Just my 2 cents.

... and now back to regular programming...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #108 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entire last page of this thread

off-topic nonsense

So... how about that iPhone? \

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #109 of 125
Quote:

Hello Solipsism,

Quote:

I don't agree in the slightest with what you are saying about Solipsism. In this case he's dealing with a guy who is obviously acting moronic and whose only objective is to get Solipsism's goat.

I think your problem is that you can't see obvious trolls. Maybe that's Solipsism's only sin... he answered a troll... but, hey, sometimes it's fun to play with them.

[... and... think about this... you, in turn, said that Solipsism resorted to a generally childish way... maybe that's only in your own mind, maybe you are now insulting Solipsism using a personal attack... maybe you are projecting.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been visiting AI for 4+ years and I find Solip to be one of, if not the, most objective and open minded posters here. He brings up very good points, provides good insight and statistics with plenty of proof to back it up, has great command of the English language (although in his haste to post, he sometimes neglects to proofread) and doesn't flip-flop on issues. I may not contribute very often but I observe rather extensively.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #110 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So... how about that iPhone? \

Actually... by giving a second opinion about Solipsism's comments I was staying truer than most about the topic at hand... Two is better than one.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #111 of 125
I miss the days of the Think Different ads. Apple ads have been so \ lately
post #112 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I miss the days of the Think Different ads. Apple ads have been so \ lately

The 'Think Different' ads were largely a branding campaign. Apple's brand is now well-known so it makes sense that the current ads stay more focused on products.

I think this ad is well-done. As I suspected, Apple chose to be assiduously carrier-neutral. Someone mentioned above that they did not show actual browsing and I am certain that was a conscious decision so as to not suggest either carrier has better performance.

This ads are simple: the iPhone is now available on two great (big) American networks and works great on both.
post #113 of 125
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

I have been reading Ai for several years. I have contribute to the conversation on a few rare occasions. I have many posters I admire for the way they conduct a debate and the points they make. I hold Solipsism in the highest regard. He often has the best points with facts to prove his view.

But like many on this site, he falls into the trap of responding to people who are obviously trying to "get his goat" as you say. Thats the beauty of a debate. Can you argue your point without lowering yourself to your opposite. I was only trying to encourage him to be the better man. When you resort to name calling and derogatory terms, you are admitting to your debater he has gotten you riled up. Maybe thats good. Maybe you want that blood boiling. But for me reading this back and forth exchange, I quickly lose interest. Its like when I was a kid and I engaged in a debate over something trivial with some kid. Eventually, I would run out of anything decent to say. As a last resort, I would say "yea, well your mama". That was my escape hatch. Thats how I feel when so many posters on this site run out of something decent to say. Then they resort to name calling. Thats when I have to check out.

I realize this is the new world of the internet. Score points and "ignore' people who disagree with you. I like the debates. I just hope we can keep it away from "your mama" stage of rebuttal.
post #114 of 125
these iphone ads are gay beyond belief
post #115 of 125
also lol@ the mo's arguing
post #116 of 125
Delightful ad. Such a nice way to say "F*** YOU AT&T YOU BLEW IT!!!"
post #117 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatch View Post

"Two is," not "two are?" Where have all the English teachers gone?

"Two is better than one" is correct, not "Two are better than one"... "Two birds are better than one" would be correct.
post #118 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Add him to your IGNORE list and the site becomes a much better experience without the gobbledygook he spews. And his name calling- his modus operandi. There is a reason for his 22,000 posts- but I refuse to engage in obvious name calling. Perhaps he thinks he'll win some sort of prize.

At the rate everyone is saying that everyone else is on their ignore list, there should be a lot less posts on AI Forums. Which doesn't seem to be the case.
post #119 of 125
I understand that ads like this one are made with digital compositing, particularly the screen image which doesn't usually film well. But...

Why is it that we see a black woman talking to an Asian woman over Facetime, but the hand holding each phone is that of a white male?

I suppose they could have been the hands of very controlling boyfriends.
post #120 of 125
We should probably make an important distinction to clear up this "anecdote" argument.

There is nothing wrong with anecdotes when used simply as anecdotes. Duh

The problem (and a quite frequent one on the internet) is when people use "anecdotal evidence" to try to prove their point or defend a sweeping, general claim.

For example:

AT&T has terrible service, wherever I go I fall back on EDGE or don't have an service at all. Sometimes I have to go to the end of my driveway to make a call. AT&T obviously doesn't care about improving its network or its reputation.

That is using "anecdotal evidence" to support your claim. Not very effective among intelligent people.

I like having simultaneous voice and data. I don't know how many times I have been driving in the car, talking on the phone, and needed to look up directions to where I was going. It was definitely helpful there.

That's simply an "anecdote". Nothing wrong with that.

As far as the iPhone goes, I have never really thought that Apple set out to make the best "phone" out there. I don't think anyone would ever try to say that it was the "best reception device", even when only compared to other devices' performance on the AT&T network. The iPhone is about everything - phone, apps, speed, fluidity - all coming together in one device. That being said, I really do believe that the iPhone was made with the strengths of AT&T's network (and other GSM/UMTS networks) - speed, simultaneous voice and data - in mind. The experience on Verizon will invariably be less when viewed in light of what Apple's goal is - a fluid experience.

Prediction - the defections from AT&T to Verizon will not be as large as expected.

Prediction - a large portion of iPhone users that defect will get to Verizon and realize that they are giving up significant amounts of speed and capability (SV&D) and many will return to AT&T.

Prediction - negativity towards Verizon will rise significantly after launching the iPhone. iPhone users are generally a very demanding bunch. One of AT&T's PR problems right now is that their iPhone users expect different things, fair or not, from their network than those on Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile do... partially due simply to the fact that Apple tends to rank very high in customer satisfaction themselves. I don't believe Verizon will be able to live up to these expectations either.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Apple iPhone 'two is better than one' ad promotes Verizon, AT&T