or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's white iPhone 4 appears on track for spring release in AT&T system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's white iPhone 4 appears on track for spring release in AT&T system

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 
A new leak from AT&T's internal system shows a listing for Apple's white iPhone 4, suggesting that the long-delayed handset is on track for its previously announced Spring 2011 launch.

The screenshot of the carrier's internal listings, leaked to Boy Genius Report, found reference to white iPhone 4 models in both 16GB and 32GB capacities. The inclusion has led to speculation that the device could be on track for a "late February or early March" debut.

The listing comes soon after retailer Best Buy also had internal listings for the white iPhone 4. That internal information listed an in-stock date of Feb. 27.

Apple delayed the white iPhone 4 numerous times, with the most recent setback declared in October. It was then that Apple announced that the white model of its bestselling handset will not arrive until Spring 2011.

Spring doesn't officially start until March 20, 2011. If Apple does in fact launch the handset this spring, it would be 9 months after the iPhone 4 debuted in June of 2010.



When it was revealed the white iPhone 4 wouldn't be available for the device's launch, Apple said it would hit the market in July. The company said the handset had proved "more challenging to manufacture than expected," but did not provide further details.

Then, the following month Apple delayed the white iPhone 4 until late 2010. The company again cited manufacturing difficulties.

Though the white version of the iPhone 4 has not made it to market, it has not affected the popularity of the handset, only available in black. Last week Apple revealed that it had sold a record 16.2 million iPhones during the holiday buying period, representing 86 percent year-over-year growth for the handset.
post #2 of 67
I am wondering who is still waiting for this?
post #3 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am wondering who is still waiting for this?

Not many, I'd wager, but I'm sure Apple will have difficulty meeting demand when they launch all the same. I wonder why Apple hasn't developed a broader range of colors (either in addition to, or in lieu of, the white); a product(RED) version seemed like a given.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #4 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am wondering who is still waiting for this?

I would have two of each - black and white - in my family - but had to go with 4 black.

hoping there will be a 4GS or 4S or whatever - this year - so that iPhone 5 can come out next year when my two years is up. remains to be seen whether it will be a compelling upgrade for me.

more likely would be an iPad2 as my next purchase - assuming that comes out this year.
post #5 of 67
I finally got a black one after waiting for 6 months. May be iPhone 5, I will change, unless AT&T is doing free exchange.
post #6 of 67
Who's gonna buy one now (or in April) with the next generation undoubtedly being released less than 60 days afterwards?
post #7 of 67

"Though the white version of the iPhone 4 has not made it to market, it has not affected the popularity of the handset, only available in black."

I am sure it has.
post #8 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Who's gonna buy one now (or in April) with the next generation undoubtedly being released less than 60 days afterwards?

maybe the iphone 5G will be announced early along with the white iphone 5G???

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

maybe the iphone 5G will be announced early along with the white iphone 5G???

Not a chance.
post #10 of 67
If this is a calculated move on Apple's part, it's genius. If it isn't, still genius. Either way, start warming up the Brink's truck, 'cause it's going to be another huge payday for the Fruit.
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Who's gonna buy one now (or in April) with the next generation undoubtedly being released less than 60 days afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

"Though the white version of the iPhone 4 has not made it to market, it has not affected the popularity of the handset, only available in black."

I am sure it has.

One of you will be correct. Either way, Apple wins/won.
post #12 of 67
Apple should just releases the white iPhone 5 in June.
post #13 of 67
Like others have said... what's the point at this stage in the iP4's lifecycle? Certainly white is more expensive to manufacture. Why not just stick with black. Make the iP5 in white.

How many people are holding off on an iPhone 4 purchase at this point because of color? How many people could (or would) "upgrade" their black iPhone 4 for a white one? It would certainly have to be out-of-contract pricing.
post #14 of 67
Epic fail. Apple should have just let this one go. This just points to total incompetence.
post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am wondering who is still waiting for this?

Ive been waiting this whole time for the white one, i still have a white 3GS. but I've waited this long, im just going to skip iPhone 4 all together and go straight to iPhone 5 in June, HOPEFULLY there will be a white version.
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Like others have said... what's the point at this stage in the iP4's lifecycle? Certainly white is more expensive to manufacture. Why not just stick with black. Make the iP5 in white.

How many people are holding off on an iPhone 4 purchase at this point because of color? How many people could (or would) "upgrade" their black iPhone 4 for a white one? It would certainly have to be out-of-contract pricing.

When Apple announces a new iphone in June, the prior version still stays on sale for another year. Keep in mind that the entire world does not get the next version immediately either. Therefore, they might as well get the white one on sale as soon as they are ready to manufacture it.
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Epic fail. Apple should have just let this one go. This just points to total incompetence.

You don't think that "total incompetence" is a bit overboard?

And why should they have let it go if they end up selling them?
post #18 of 67
White is so passé.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

White is so passé.

And it pales in comparison to the black version.
post #20 of 67
I'm curious if there are markets where a white iPhone might have greater acceptance? For instance, would a white iPhone be particularly well-received in Asian markets?
post #21 of 67
It will be very, very interesting to see whether or not the new White iPhones have the new Verizon form factor with the newer antenna.

If they do, mad props to Ireland to calling this one a long, long time ago.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #22 of 67
The phone actually started to show up on Orange UK's website early this morning

http://www.iosnoops.com/2011/01/24/w...gement-system/
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I would have two of each - black and white - in my family - but had to go with 4 black.

hoping there will be a 4GS or 4S or whatever - this year - so that iPhone 5 can come out next year when my two years is up. remains to be seen whether it will be a compelling upgrade for me.

more likely would be an iPad2 as my next purchase - assuming that comes out this year.

Why would it matter if there is a "4GS" and then a 5, instead of a 5 and then a 6? Either way you're waiting 2 years and getting the same technologies.
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Not many, I'd wager, but I'm sure Apple will have difficulty meeting demand when they launch all the same. I wonder why Apple hasn't developed a broader range of colors (either in addition to, or in lieu of, the white); a product(RED) version seemed like a given.

I would wager that if Apple has only started with a white one , and then belatedly come out with the blackone , They would have be judged as racist

While on this theme. I think we should paint the White House all the colors of the rainbow. Imagine how symbolic that would be.



lol

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Reply

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Reply
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I would have two of each - black and white - in my family - but had to go with 4 black.

hoping there will be a 4GS or 4S or whatever - this year - so that iPhone 5 can come out next year when my two years is up. remains to be seen whether it will be a compelling upgrade for me.

more likely would be an iPad2 as my next purchase - assuming that comes out this year.

Maybe a white iPad 2...?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Not many, I'd wager, but I'm sure Apple will have difficulty meeting demand when they launch all the same. I wonder why Apple hasn't developed a broader range of colors (either in addition to, or in lieu of, the white); a product(RED) version seemed like a given.


I've wondered the same thing.
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Who's gonna buy one now (or in April) with the next generation undoubtedly being released less than 60 days afterwards?

Who's gonna buy Beatles from iTunes?
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Not many, I'd wager, but I'm sure Apple will have difficulty meeting demand when they launch all the same. I wonder why Apple hasn't developed a broader range of colors (either in addition to, or in lieu of, the white); a product(RED) version seemed like a given.

Hopefully Apple didn't do product(red) because they know how much of a scam that "charity" is.
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

And why should they have let it go if they end up selling them?

Because it isn't going to sell with its successor due out so shortly afterwards.

Not even Microsoft would be bone-headed enough to release both a product and its successor at the same time.
post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Because it isn't going to sell with its successor due out so shortly afterwards.

Not even Microsoft would be bone-headed enough to release both a product and its successor at the same time.

Are you serious?

And I suppose that no one buys the 3 or 3G anymore either?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Because it isn't going to sell with its successor due out so shortly afterwards.

Not even Microsoft would be bone-headed enough to release both a product and its successor at the same time.

Don't forget that the new phone will not have a global rollout - some countries will probably be waiting for the next version 6 months out from its release in the US.
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

...so that iPhone 5 can come out next year ...

It's hilarious that you think Apple would name their sixth iPhone "iPhone 5".

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Because it isn't going to sell with its successor due out so shortly afterwards.

Not even Microsoft would be bone-headed enough to release both a product and its successor at the same time.

That has shown not to be the case, as other posters have stated with the previous year’s model still for sale. While there is a huge surge when a new model is released, that initial surge pales in comparison to the total number of units sold annually around the world.

On top of that, if they are still having issues with production and need to QC units more frequently, this lower-than-normal demand resulting from the end-of-cycle release might be exactly what they need to keep supply and demand in balance.

Note the first 16GB iPhone arrived a little more than 7 months after the original iPhone was released (June 29th, 2007 v. February 5th, 2008). You might think, “Yeah, but that was 16GB, not 4 or 8GB”, and the rebuttal to that is, “Yeah, but that’s the elusive white iPhone, not the common black iPhone.” I assure you there will be people that care more about the color of the glass than the capacity of the flash storage.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #34 of 67
New customers are buying iPhones all the time. How many new iPhones did Apple sell last quarter again? Yeah...

If they get a white one to market, it will be that many more models and options for customers to choose from. Even if the "iPhone4GS" is 2 months after that, it won't matter. Apple will still sell several million white iPhones inside that 2 month window.
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

New customers are buying iPhones all the time. How many new iPhones did Apple sell last quarter again? Yeah...

If they get a white one to market, it will be that many more models and options for customers to choose from. Even if the "iPhone4GS" is 2 months after that, it won't matter. Apple will still sell several million white iPhones inside that 2 month window.

Here is a graph and stats from all iPhone quarters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...ter_simple.svg 2010 is particularly interesting. Even with Gizmodos leak and the 5 week (?) lead time between the iPhone announcement and release, as well as the 3 year precedence of a Summer iPhone release the iPhone 3GS was still very well.

In fact, the last 3 quarters in its release cycle as the paramount iPhone model was higher than its initial first full quarter. As a reminder the new iPhone typically has gone on sale the weekend before the the end of the quarter, but even when subtracting those 1M units the number for the previous years model are still very, very high and at a non-reduced price-point.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #36 of 67
Maybe for iPhone 5? I think I can wait.
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's hilarious that you think Apple would name their sixth iPhone "iPhone 5".

And Nikon called their 27th DSLR a D90. What a crocodile!
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Hopefully Apple didn't do product(red) because they know how much of a scam that "charity" is.

Really? Sorry, I hadn't heard that product(RED) was a scam. At any rate, it seems odd to me that Apple hasn't introduced color options for the iPhone 4. I think they'd sell well.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Really? Sorry, I hadn't heard that product(RED) was a scam. At any rate, it seems odd to me that Apple hasn't introduced color options for the iPhone 4. I think they'd sell well.

I vote pink. But it doesn't appear that Apple is interested.
post #40 of 67
both my wife and my girlfriend have been waiting patiently.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Reply
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's white iPhone 4 appears on track for spring release in AT&T system
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's white iPhone 4 appears on track for spring release in AT&T system