or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Best approach to get a huge NTFS drive usable on Mac?

Best approach to get a huge NTFS drive usable on Mac?

post #1 of 3
I have a huge 2TB NTFS drive full of stuff. I also have two 640GB drives that are free. What do you guys think would be the best way to get my data usable on the Mac?

I can set NTFS to writable? I can use NTFS-3G? I can set my 640GB files to some Mac file system (which one?) and transfer the files over? What do you guys think would be best? Compatibility with Linux/Windows would be cool but not necessary if it's going to be a headache. Just looking for some ideas and opinions because there's a lot of conflicting info out there on these methods and their positives and negatives.
post #2 of 3
You can use NTFS-3G but if you use Bootcamp, it can affect booting up - you have to disable it sometimes to boot up properly.

If this is just to migrate the data to be usable with the Mac, you should be able to read the NTFS drive so just make the others HFS+ and copy the data over. If you have enough space with the two 640GB drives + internal, copy the data then format the 2TB as HFS+ and copy it all back on.

There are a couple of Windows apps for reading/writing HFS+ - MacDrive and Paragon HFS+ for Windows. The latter is cheaper.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can use NTFS-3G but if you use Bootcamp, it can affect booting up - you have to disable it sometimes to boot up properly.

If this is just to migrate the data to be usable with the Mac, you should be able to read the NTFS drive so just make the others HFS+ and copy the data over. If you have enough space with the two 640GB drives + internal, copy the data then format the 2TB as HFS+ and copy it all back on.

There are a couple of Windows apps for reading/writing HFS+ - MacDrive and Paragon HFS+ for Windows. The latter is cheaper.

Thanks, I tried out the new commercial driver from the NTFS-3G site and it works great. I hope it's rock solid since it's a commercial product. Time will tell.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Best approach to get a huge NTFS drive usable on Mac?