or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What is the state of the Union?...your comments.

What is the state of the Union?...your comments. - Page 2

post #41 of 57

Do you have any personal reaction yourself? Was it all political show? If he does any of it would you re-evaluate your opinion of Obama? Bets on how much he will actually implement?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Do you have any personal reaction yourself?

Didn't watch, listen to or read it.

Quote:

Was it all political show?

Yes, almost by definition...and not because it is Obama. In the last 10-15 years (Bush and Clinton included) I haven't seen one SOTU address that's been anything but political show.

Quote:

If he does any of it would you re-evaluate your opinion of Obama? Bets on how much he will actually implement?

Don't know what he promised. Doubt that there's enough detail in anything he proposed to make any intelligent judgements on the value of even the proposals. Ultimately I will judge him on actual actions more than words. If I see him taking actions that move the US toward greater liberty, returning back to a more constitutionally-bound federal government...these things would be surprise me and improve my opinion of him greatly. I'm doubtful though.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #43 of 57
Quote:

How are they telling you how to live yours? And how do you know they are living beyond their means? If they are making $250K and the can afford where they live (say a home in the NYC area for example) but the cost of living is higher so it compares to a person making $120K in Portland Oregon. (Just making an example, not using actual figures) Then they are not "filthy stinking rich", they may be merely comfortable where they live and are doing so within their means. Unless you feel they should live within your means?

Please. Just stop with this nonsense that people who make $250,000 are barely making ends meet. This is utter insanity. The latest statistics show the median household income in the US is $43,000. Just stop it.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Please. Just stop with this nonsense that people who make $250,000 are barely making ends meet. This is utter insanity. The latest statistics show the median household income in the US is $43,000. Just stop it.

Did I use the words barely making ends meet? A person can be well within their means and not be rich. You keep trying to change what I am saying and it is not the case. If you had said $500K I would have no problem applying the rich tag, but $250K to me does not grant that status by default anymore. If you had asked me 10 years ago, I might have agreed.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Didn't watch, listen to or read it.

Yes, almost by definition...and not because it is Obama. In the last 10-15 years (Bush and Clinton included) I haven't seen one SOTU address that's been anything but political show.

Don't know what he promised. Doubt that there's enough detail in anything he proposed to make any intelligent judgements on the value of even the proposals. Ultimately I will judge him on actual actions more than words. If I see him taking actions that move the US toward greater liberty, returning back to a more constitutionally-bound federal government...these things would be surprise me and improve my opinion of him greatly. I'm doubtful though.

Ok, so you are not even interested from a curiosity standpoint. That's fine.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #46 of 57
Quote:

Did I use the words barely making ends meet? A person can be well within their means and not be rich. You keep trying to change what I am saying and it is not the case. If you had said $500K I would have no problem applying the rich tag, but $250K to me does not grant that status by default anymore. If you had asked me 10 years ago, I might have agreed.

Well, for all the income earned up to $250k, the tax rates won't increase at all. Again, learn to marginal tax rate. Anything ABOVE it should get taxed at a higher rate. And, ADD MORE BRACKETS. Those earning $250k should pay a lower rate than those earning $500k, $1M, $100M, $1B, et cetera.

If tax rates go up on the $250k tax bracket, those sitting at $250k are, drumroll please, UNAFFECTED.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #47 of 57
Quote:

Well, for all the income earned up to $250k, the tax rates won't increase at all. Again, learn to marginal tax rate. Anything ABOVE it should get taxed at a higher rate. And, ADD MORE BRACKETS. Those earning $250k should pay a lower rate than those earning $500k, $1M, $100M, $1B, et cetera.

If tax rates go up on the $250k tax bracket, those sitting at $250k are, drumroll please, UNAFFECTED.

I understand that point. I was simply debating the use of the word rich to mean anyone who is making $250K /year or more. I make less than half that, and where i live, that amount (250K) would make me what I see as being quite well off, perhaps even rich. But that is not the case everywhere. Peace man.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #48 of 57
If you've ever tried to run a small business you know that it's mostly about being tired a lot, and sacrificing your spare time and you need costs and taxes to be low or you just won't make it otherwise. And if you follow large companies like Apple you see that they make supplier contracts years in advance and they need as much legislative predictability of the future as possible.

Obama comes in and creates the exact opposite of this environment, he enacts massive reforms that blow everybody's assumptions out of the water. So of course everybody has to put their plans on hold. That should have been obvious to anyone who has ever run a business. So economic growth goes down.

Arthur C Clark said any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. And to Obama, who has never run a business, economic growth is magic. So the only way he knows to cause economic growth is to make a speech asking people to do magic - snap their fingers and invent the next big thing. But of course there's no such thing. There is only the hard work of many individuals over many years, which he seems determined to make harder to do with his every action.

The best thing he could do is imagine himself in the shoes of that small businessman and enact everything he can to make that person's life easier.
post #49 of 57
Quote:

In NYC this is one of the most expensive cities to live in the world.People who are making $250,000 are in good shape financially believe me.I never made that in my life.
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

In NYC this is one of the most expensive cities to live in the world.People who are making $250,000 are in good shape financially believe me.I never made that in my life.

As a single person you can make it many places for much less than a family of say 4 or 5. There are more people than single people in the world. You cannot base all numbers on one demographic or location. I also stated that NYC was only an example location and there might be better examples. Also, being in good shape financially is not the same as being rich.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #51 of 57
Anyone else notice that President Obama's slogan for the evening shortens into the acronym WTF?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Anyone else notice that President Obama's slogan for the evening shortens into the acronym WTF?

Um yes... someone else noticed. Some moron from Alaska named "Payline" or something. Of which I'm sure you're aware. Hope you vote for her in the next Republican primary, it seems you're ideologically intertwined.
post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Plus he ripped it off.

Barack Obama Stole His Empty State of the Union Slogan From Newt Gingrich

post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Obama gave a big tax cut to that couple of yours. Do you not even know that?

Come on. He did nothing of the kind. There are only two possibilities to which you refer. One is the Making Work Pay credit. That couple I described would get a maximum of $800. In fact, I think at $200,000 that might not get the full amount, or any at all. I would have to look it up.

The other is the Bush tax cut extension. This was not a tax cut. It was an extension of CURRENT rates. All he did was sign a bill that prevented that couple from paying thousands more in taxes.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #55 of 57
Quote:

No one claimed that. We just claimed they weren't "filthy stinking rich." Your term.

Quote:

That's not a bad idea. I would rather see a system that doesn't punish success. I would either like to a see a flat tax with exemptions for the poor (and few if any deductions) coupled with a tax on the super rich (those above say, $2,000,000 a year). Or, scrap income taxes completely and replace the whole system with a VAT. I think most of us would end up paying about the same in taxes while government revenue goes through the roof. This is a tax that cannot be avoided. It can also be reduced at times to stimulate economic growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

"Good shape" is not "rich." When good apartments cost $5,000 a month and parking spots cost $500 a month or more, $250K doesn't make one rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Um yes... someone else noticed. Some moron from Alaska named "Payline" or something. Of which I'm sure you're aware. Hope you vote for her in the next Republican primary, it seems you're ideologically intertwined.

I thought that was hysterical. Can't believe she actually pointed it out. I know you may think otherwise, but I pray she doesn't run. I think she's more intelligent than portrayed, and a person I would love to know. I also agree with many of her positions. But I don't see her as Presidential material at all. I suppose my vote would depend on her opponent. I would vote for her over Obama because of the way he's handled things, but probably not over a truly moderate Dem with fiscally conservative credentials. In the primary, there is no way I'd vote for her.

By the way, I think she's a MILF. Does that count for anything?
post #56 of 57
For those who are old enough to remember, the orbiting of the Sputnik had a profound impact on the US. It was the height of the Cold War. The US and the USSR were in an arms race developing ICBM's and to be the first to launch an artificial satellite. The USSR launched theirs in October 1957 and it was a wake up call for the US. At the time the Navy later NRL and Army competed between each other to be the first. After Sputnik,NASA was created to head space research for the US. Through the late 1950's and early 1960's the US seemed to trail the USSR in space exploration. Kennedy's speech of sending man to the moon in 1961 galvanized the US and space effort.

Palin completely misunderstood Obamas Sputnik Moment
Quote:
As part of his call to "out-innovate, out-educate, and out-build the rest of the world," Obama referenced the historic so-called "Sputnik moment," a time when America seemed to lag behind the Soviet technological advantage in the Space Race.
However, within ten years, America rose to the challenge and eventually edged out the Soviets to be the first and only nation to send men to the Moon neatly winning the Space Race.
For a generation, this "Sputnik moment" was the impetus for students to pursue careers in math and science and galvanized the nation to make crucial investments for its future. Now, it seems as though America is finally losing its global competitive edge built up over the last few decades to other countries more interested in pursuing the latest and most innovative scientific projects....
All of these points seemed to be beyond Sarah Palin last Wednesday as she spoke about Obama's reference to the "Sputnik moment." Indeed, Palin did not seem to be interested in the historical facts, but rather seemed intent on blindly attacking the President.
"That was another one of those WTF moments, when he so often repeated this Sputnik moment that he would aspire Americans to celebrate," Palin said.
Quote:
"And he needs to remember that what happened back then with the former communist USSR and their victory in that race to space, yes, they won, but they also incurred so much debt at the time that it resulted in the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union."

Obama's "Sputnik Moment"
Quote:
The lesson from the 1950s is that it takes more than private enterprise to revive American innovation. It takes lots of government spending....
"This is our generation's Sputnik moment," Obama said. As a result, we need to fund "a level of research and development we haven't seen since the height of the space race," with particularly strong investments in biomedicine, information technology, and clean-energy technology. In the same section of the speech, he likened this funding effort to "the Apollo Project," which later put a man on the moon.

Obama's state of the union address: US must seize 'Sputnik moment'
Quote:
Barack Obama warned of the threat to US economic power and global influence from China's rise as he appealed for Republicans to abandon demands for huge budget cuts and back the biggest government investment programme since the 1960s space race.
In the annual state of the union address, the US president appealed for the Republicans to co-operate to "win the future" and said the present generation faces its "Sputnik moment", requiring government investment in research, infrastructure and education.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

For those who are old enough to remember, the orbiting of the Sputnik had a profound impact on the US. It was the height of the Cold War. The US and the USSR were in an arms race developing ICBM's and to be the first to launch an artificial satellite. The USSR launched theirs in October 1957 and it was a wake up call for the US. At the time the Navy later NRL and Army competed between each other to be the first. After Sputnik,NASA was created to head space research for the US. Through the late 1950's and early 1960's the US seemed to trail the USSR in space exploration. Kennedy's speech of sending man to the moon in 1961 galvanized the US and space effort.

Palin completely misunderstood Obamas Sputnik Moment

Obama's "Sputnik Moment"

Obama's state of the union address: US must seize 'Sputnik moment'

His entire premise is absurd. We're not talking about the space race. We're talking about the economy. Government does not create wealth and prosperity. Government does not create private sector jobs. Please.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What is the state of the Union?...your comments.