or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Netflix: Apple TV streaming more movies than iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix: Apple TV streaming more movies than iPad

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
Within Netflix earnings release, the company noted that Apple TV's support for its Watch Instantly video streaming has already passed up iPad users in viewing hours.

The revelation comes as somewhat of a surprise, given that Apple has now sold over 15 million iPads, while Apple TVs capable of playing Netflix have just recently sold over a million units. The previous generation of Apple TV first launched in 2007, but doesn't stream Netflix content.

The capability to play content from Netflix debuted last September with the new iOS Apple TV, making it less than four months old. In contrast, the service has been available on iPad since April.

Apple TV connects to user's HDTVs directly, making it easier to watch hours of content without the potential for interruption, while iPad users are more likely to check their mail, play a game, or have their device commandeered by a spouse or child before they can finish a full length movie.

Netflix noted that iPad use is "also-growing," and that its iPhone app is also "very popular," although the most popular devices for using its service were identified as being ones with "large installed bases," specifically Windows PC and Macs, the Sony PS3, Microsoft Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.



Netflix hasn't given up on Google TV

Apart from built in support for Netflix, Flickr and its own MobileMe, Apple doesn't yet support the capability to add third party apps to Apple TV. The company identified Google TV and Internet connected BluRay players and smart TVs as "big growth categories," noting that while Google's efforts have "not yet gone mainstream," the concept "is powerful."

On the subject of TV devices using Android or Chrome OS, Netflix added that "were confident that they will be very successful, and we are investing in our Google TV application."

So far, Google TV has been a poorly managed disaster that consumers don't seem to see the value in, but Apple's own TV product also took years to gain adoption.

Jobs on Smart TVs

Last summer, Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs responded to a question about the future of smart TV by saying it was a difficult problem to solve because cable companies "give everybody a step top box for free, or for $10 per month. That pretty much squashes any opportunity for innovation, because nobody's willing to buy a set top box."

At the time Jobs quipped, "Ask Tivo, ask Replay TV, ask Roku, ask Vudu, ask us, ask Google in a few months," challenging the wild exuberance then supporting Google's newly released plans to take over the living room with Android-based Google TV devices.

Jobs has long referred to Apple TV as a "hobby," and stated that the market for smart TVs is "not a problem with technology, not a problem with vision, it's a fundamental go to market problem."

Cable operators offer a "balkanized" global network of different standards and different government approvals needed to act in the role of a broadcaster. "I'm sure smarter people than us will figure this out, but that's why we say Apple TV a hobby; that's why we use that phrase," Jobs said.
post #2 of 57
So basically this means people prefer to watch movies on something connected to their TV, instead of on their lap? Bravo!
post #3 of 57
I love Apple TV. I bought it and thought I will return it if I don't like it. Now we are hooked. Netflix, AirPlay, and iTunes streaming are most used feature (in that order).
post #4 of 57
I'm pretty sure that it wasn't Steve Jobs who described ATV as a hobby.
post #5 of 57
How many third party apps does Apple TV have?

1 = Netflix

When people turn on their iPad there are a few hundred thousand more distractions.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I love Apple TV. I bought it and thought I will return it if I don't like it. Now we are hooked. Netflix, AirPlay, and iTunes streaming are most used feature (in that order).

I was planning on returning mine if it sucked but now my family is hooked. We love it!. ATV is perfect for Netflix!
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist2170 View Post

I was planning on returning mine if it sucked but now my family is hooked. We love it!. ATV is perfect for Netflix!

As soon as they add support for Hulu Plus, I'll be jumping on the bandwagon.
It's got tons of potential.
post #8 of 57
"The revelation comes as somewhat of a surprise, given that Apple has now sold over 15 million iPads, while Apple TV has sold in the low millions." I'm not sure why the AppleInsider author Daniel Eran Dilger is somewhat surprised at this revelation when a vast number of iPads have been sold around the world where Netflix is unavailable. Sometimes these authors spout phrases that are nonsensical.
post #9 of 57
I have 2 ATV's - The older one upstairs (160 gig hard drive) and now the new one hooked to the downstairs big screen. The new one has fantastic streaming abilities! iPads as a remote are amazing - I also like the older one with built-in hard drive . . . Even when computers and TV are off downstairs, I can play content synced onto the hard drive in the bedroom - In my opinion, ATV has a bright future - Go Apple!
post #10 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How many third party apps does Apple TV have?

1 = Netflix

When people turn on their iPad there are a few hundred thousand more distractions.

Uhm, it's more than 1. Flicker, YouTube and netflix.
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

"The revelation comes as somewhat of a surprise, given that Apple has now sold over 15 million iPads, while Apple TV has sold in the low millions." I'm not sure why the AppleInsider author Daniel Eran Dilger is somewhat surprised at this revelation when a vast number of iPads have been sold around the world where Netflix is unavailable. Sometimes these authors spout phrases that are nonsensical.

And you're American. Well played.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't Steve Jobs who described ATV as a hobby.

Yes, it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs concluded by saying "I'm sure smarter people than us will figure this out, but that's why we say Apple TV a hobby; that's why we use that phrase."

post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

As soon as they add support for Hulu Plus, I'll be jumping on the bandwagon.
It's got tons of potential.


I feel the same way, so I contacted Hulu. They said they were "working on it" and "in communication with Apple".

Not sure why it's taking so long, there must be some reason why it hasn't happened yet.....
post #14 of 57
Four peeves with Netflix.

I do find problematic Netflix's lack of ability to allow the movie to be partially downloaded prior to watching. Given that it appears to be a pure streaming service, sometimes, this leads to stuttering (if that's the right word) and freeze-ups. Often happens on Friday nights where I live. I guess a lot of people are online then.

Two, there seems to be no option to fast forward (or rewind).

Three, unlike Youtube, there's no airplay option from the iPad or iPhone.

The final small peeve: rather limited choices for streaming (most are still available only as DVDs by mail).

So far, it's not too bad for $7.99/mo. If these don't improve soon though, I'll probably drop it.
post #15 of 57
It's a surprise that more people want to watch Netflix content on their large TVs rather than on their smallish iPad? Doesn't surprise me one bit. While the stupid analysts at IDC/Gartner are creating this trumped up "media tablet" moniker, it's a different kind of "media" IMO. Smallish content is what these guys do best - not 43 minute TV shows much less 2 hour movies. Sure, they can view that content, and it's great that they can, but I doubt the iPad is the primary vehicle for viewing that kind of content.

Netflix did it right - put streaming into devices that are in the home theater - blueray/dvd players, tv's, etc. That's where people want to watch their content.

Apple should let Netflix sign a few more streaming deals with the studios/publishers, then buy them. Then they couldn't stonewall Apple any more like they're doing now. iTunes would be streaming and renting (and subscribing) a lot more video content if the studios/publishers would work with Apple.
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Three, unlike Youtube, there's no airplay option from the iPad or iPhone.

The Youtube app on both the ATV and iPad/iPhone are controlled by Apple so they could add airplay to the iPad/iPhone version. The Netflix app on iOS isn't Apple's app, and developers are just now getting access to Airplay APIs, so until Apple ships iOS 4.3 (or whatever the # will be) Netflix can't do Airplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The final small peeve: rather limited choices for streaming (most are still available only as DVDs by mail).

Complain to the studios/distributors - they're the ones that keep Netflix from streaming more content. It's the same problem Apple has - getting those guys to allow streaming for a reasonable cost is a huge time sink. Netflix is a bit ahead of the curve on this.
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I feel the same way, so I contacted Hulu. They said they were "working on it" and "in communication with Apple".

Not sure why it's taking so long, there must be some reason why it hasn't happened yet.....

Maybe it has to do with Comcast buying out NBC (and Hulu), and Comcast not wanting competition for its streaming video. They may cripple Hulu just enough so the FCC won't fine them, but Hulu won't be as good as it could be.
post #18 of 57
I like the Apple TV, but like the Airplay option with iPad even more. The iPad is the ideal interface to find what I want to watch while sitting on the couch...and then just hit Airplay. I wonder if Netflix, ABC, etc. will incorporate this feature into their Apps after the next IOS release.
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post

The Youtube app on both the ATV and iPad/iPhone are controlled by Apple so they could add airplay to the iPad/iPhone version. The Netflix app on iOS isn't Apple's app, and developers are just now getting access to Airplay APIs, so until Apple ships iOS 4.3 (or whatever the # will be) Netflix can't do Airplay.



Complain to the studios/distributors - they're the ones that keep Netflix from streaming more content. It's the same problem Apple has - getting those guys to allow streaming for a reasonable cost is a huge time sink. Netflix is a bit ahead of the curve on this.

OK. What about peeves 1 and 2?
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post

Netflix is a bit ahead of the curve on this.

Can you elaborate. For instance, I can rent the third of the Millennium Trilogy, or, say, RED, as of today on iTunes. Neither seems to be available for streaming on Netflix when I just checked.

In what way is Netflix ahead of the curve?
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post

The Youtube app on both the ATV and iPad/iPhone are controlled by Apple so they could add airplay to the iPad/iPhone version. The Netflix app on iOS isn't Apple's app, and developers are just now getting access to Airplay APIs, so until Apple ships iOS 4.3 (or whatever the # will be) Netflix can't do Airplay.



Complain to the studios/distributors - they're the ones that keep Netflix from streaming more content. It's the same problem Apple has - getting those guys to allow streaming for a reasonable cost is a huge time sink. Netflix is a bit ahead of the curve on this.

The irritating irony here is that If I wanted to, I could easily steal DVDs sent to my house (with handbrake and the 15 year old technology of DVD burning), yet streaming is much harder for an amateur like myself to steal (if not impossible) ... so what is the hold-up?

I pay ~90 a month for cable internet and I only watch about 2 shows (plus sports, which I would give up) - the wife wants to watch other channels. I'd gladly pay double my nextflix subscription cost to get more movies and current shows (even if they were a month lagged behind or something)
post #22 of 57
Quote:
"I'm sure smarter people than us will figure this out, but that's why we say Apple TV a hobby; that's why we use that phrase," Jobs said.

This is a bitch slap to all the stupid people in Hollywood, Comcast, NBC, etc., (i.e., content owners).
post #23 of 57
No surprise people would rather watch a movie on the big screen.

Netflix is a great idea and priced right. I just wish they'd have a category for NEW movies. Meaning the ones that recently were in theaters.

To me, Tom Hanks' Big isn't a new movie, even if only recently offered on NF.
post #24 of 57
How about some numbers comparing the install base of Google TV/Apple TV and Netflix.
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post

Apple should let Netflix sign a few more streaming deals with the studios/publishers, then buy them. Then they couldn't stonewall Apple any more like they're doing now. iTunes would be streaming and renting (and subscribing) a lot more video content if the studios/publishers would work with Apple.

Many of the content deals do not allow transferring any licensing. This is what happened when Apple bought Lala - they got the IP but none of the content.
post #26 of 57
Gee, uh, I stream Netflix to my HDTV regularly and I don't even own an ATV.

Edit: I'll add that I'm more hampered by Comcasts 250Gb data cap than anything else. I can easily double that in a month only by streaming Netflix movies. But Comcast is quick to assure that for that much data I can send 100s of 1000s of emails!
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can you elaborate. For instance, I can rent the third of the Millennium Trilogy, or, say, RED, as of today on iTunes. Neither seems to be available for streaming on Netflix when I just checked.

In what way is Netflix ahead of the curve?

The GIrl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest became available on Netflix last night. I watched it.
What a great series.
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The irritating irony here is that If I wanted to, I could easily steal DVDs sent to my house (with handbrake and the 15 year old technology of DVD burning), yet streaming is much harder for an amateur like myself to steal (if not impossible) ... so what is the hold-up?

I pay ~90 a month for cable internet and I only watch about 2 shows (plus sports, which I would give up) - the wife wants to watch other channels. I'd gladly pay double my nextflix subscription cost to get more movies and current shows (even if they were a month lagged behind or something)

I believe the reason is money... The movie industry makes the most on DVD purchases, then movie tickets, then rentals and lastly pay per view. I think i have that correct.
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The GIrl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest became available on Netflix last night. I watched it.
What a great series.

Have you seen OS117: Nest of spies? It's very funny!
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Within Netflix earnings release, the company noted that Apple TV's support for its Watch Instantly video streaming has already passed up iPad users in viewing hours.

Yea i think im responsible for at least half that.
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

How about some numbers comparing the install base of Google TV/Apple TV and Netflix.

Or better yet, how about AppleTV vs Playstation 3 and Wii?
post #32 of 57
Surprising news, indeed.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Four peeves with Netflix.

Two, there seems to be no option to fast forward (or rewind).

On an iPad, you just drag the button, on the time bar on the top that shows you how far along you are in the movie, forward or back.

On an Apple TV, the remote forward button gives you the options of three different fast forward speed. I think it only goes backward at a single speed when you hit the back button.

Or you can hit pause on the remote and then hit the down button and the movie time bar is split up into about 20 segments (with time) and you can hit the forward or back button to the segment you want and hit play.

Maybe these don't work that well when you have a slow connection. But i can fast forward a Netflix movie from beginning to end almost instantly on an iPad and in less than 15 seconds with an Apple TV.
post #34 of 57
Cable companies are a bunch of monopolistic bastards.

I'm surprised they haven't come down on services like Netflix and AppleTV trying to break into the content delivery business by saying, "and by the way, we'll give you all the TV, pay-per-view, and on-demand channels you want for one low price, but we're going to charge per gigabyte for cable modem service" which I think would be blatantly anticompetitive.

I know they haven't done that yet, but it wouldn't be beneath them to try it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #35 of 57
It could be so much more than a hobby if Apple were to give it an App store. Console gaming is still fun.
post #36 of 57
If you really want to tap some potential of iOS Apple TV, use Seas0n Pass to jailbreak, then install XBMC, ATV Flash Black, Groovy, and you will see Apple made a huge mistake not doing an Apple TV App Store first, before worrying about a Mac App Store... The new emerging markets are where they should have focused first, IMHO.
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It could be so much more than a hobby if Apple were to give it an App store. Console gaming is still fun.

Maybe they want developers to focus on making new apps for the iPad now, in addition to the bread & butter iPhone/Touch apps..
Once the iPad apps hit 100k to 150k they might release the Apple TV SDK.

Of course this is wild conjecture.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Four peeves with Netflix.

I do find problematic Netflix's lack of ability to allow the movie to be partially downloaded prior to watching. Given that it appears to be a pure streaming service, sometimes, this leads to stuttering (if that's the right word) and freeze-ups. Often happens on Friday nights where I live. I guess a lot of people are online then.

Two, there seems to be no option to fast forward (or rewind).

1- I am thinking that you have a very slow Internet connection because once I make my selection, the movie begins to load. If I pause (or view the slider after the movie has started) you can see where it is loading it ahead.

2- Use the slider. Works perfectly. You can fast forward, rewind, jump to any part. It is actually very easy to use.
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblife View Post

I have 2 ATV's - The older one upstairs (160 gig hard drive) and now the new one hooked to the downstairs big screen. The new one has fantastic streaming abilities! iPads as a remote are amazing - I also like the older one with built-in hard drive . . . Even when computers and TV are off downstairs, I can play content synced onto the hard drive in the bedroom - In my opinion, ATV has a bright future - Go Apple!

I have a similar set-up. I have 3 Apple TV's: 1 in Master Suite (1st Gen), 1 each in daughters room & Family/Media Room (2nd Gen). They do what they were designed to do quite well and the Airplay is just awesome on the (2nd Gen)! Whole house audio, different movies playing at the same time on multiple TV's-all wirelessly. Keep up the good work Apple!
post #40 of 57
I love Netflix on the new AppleTV. That and Airplay make it. I love that so many are HD and stream without any hickups, knows where I left off, keeps a history, recommends for me too. Great documentaries on Netfilx as well.

iTunes - meh. Too expensive and that time window for rental is ridiculous.

I still wish Apple would add Netflix at least to the old AppleTV. It seems odd that if you can stream from iTunes you could also stream from NetFlix on it.

And the new ATV is so much easier to turn off and not thermal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Netflix: Apple TV streaming more movies than iPad