or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac Pro Purchase - Now or Wait?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac Pro Purchase - Now or Wait?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hey Guys!

I am ready to purchase my first Mac Pro. Regardless of how you feel about it's merits, just assume that I need the processing power that it can offer. I am a Composer, at least I'm studying Music Composition as my Major area of Study. I have a very large sample library that requires a machine like this.

I am looking to buy the 8-Core model with 16 GB RAM, minimum and various upgrades elsewhere.

Obviously, I am researching every bit of information I can find about the current model of Mac Pro (2010). While I adore Apple products, I can't deny that they can get expensive. So, I'm taking as many precautions as I can before purchase.

Now, I know that Mac Pro's latest update was in August 2010 - something long overdue. So, it seems fair for me to be comforted in knowing that I'll be purchasing the latest version offered for this computer. Is it, though?

I was hoping that there would be some type of Apple Event in January 2011. Why? I just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be some type of update in any aspect of the Mac Pro models, pricing, etc. Are my fears legitimate?

I realize that Apple, traditionally, likes to offer product updates every year or so. So, it would be a bit early for anything new. But, you never know! There are plenty of people out there, smarter than I, that could have a bit of information that could help me out!

So...set aside any bias you may have against the Mac Pro: Would it be wise, as a consumer hoping to purchase the latest product and have it remain so for a while, to purchase a Mac Pro at this time?

Thanks Guys!
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by compos24 View Post

I was hoping that there would be some type of Apple Event in January 2011. Why?

I was just about to ask you the same question...

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be some type of update in any aspect of the Mac Pro models, pricing, etc. Are my fears legitimate?

Not until Q4 this year, no.

Quote:
I realize that Apple, traditionally, likes to offer product updates every year or so.

Not the Mac Pro or Mac Mini...

Quote:
...Would it be wise... ...to purchase a Mac Pro at this time?

If you need it. If you feel like waiting until October-December 2011, go ahead and wait.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
What information do you have regarding 2011 Q4, Mac Pros, etc.? Is this just an estimate on your part?
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by compos24 View Post

What information do you have regarding 2011 Q4, Mac Pros, etc.? Is this just an estimate on your part?

That's when the Sandy Bridge server chips come out. We can't see a new Mac Pro before they do.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Do you think that this will be an option for upgrade when that time comes?
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by compos24 View Post

Do you think that this will be an option for upgrade when that time comes?

No, of course not. You won't be able to take out the processor tray of a current model and swap it with a Sandy Bridge processor.

If you mean that question the other way, when the upgrade comes, Sandy Bridge will be the only chips available. The current ones will be discontinued.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
So, I'll have to buy a new Mac Pro if I want to upgrade anything after they start releasing models with the Sandy Bridge chips?
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by compos24 View Post

So, I'll have to buy a new Mac Pro if I want to upgrade anything after they start releasing models with the Sandy Bridge chips?

Oh, no, just the processors.

Third parties will of course still be selling RAM for the current models, and you SHOULD (salt, grain of) be able to buy any of the graphics cards that come with the Sandy Bridge models and put them into a current Mac Pro.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Okay. But, if I want to take advantage of what the Sandy Bridge processors have to offer, I WILL have to buy a whole new Mac Pro?

I'm sorry for asking potentially juvenile questions. I'm not a Tech Guy, in the fullest sense. Not that this material really requires such a title.

My brain short-circuited, sort of, when you brought this to my attention. I remember reading about the Sandy Bridge chips as info came along. But I wasn't thinking of them.

Here I was... finally in a financial comfort zone to purchase this great system, and now the sound of the next great model looms in the distance. Of course, this is an issue we Mac folks are used to, let alone anything in Technology.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by compos24 View Post

Okay. But, if I want to take advantage of what the Sandy Bridge processors have to offer, I WILL have to buy a whole new Mac Pro?

Yep. Sandy Bridge has an entirely new chipset. It physically can't work with existing boards.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Nuts!

Any possibility that Apple will offer a Trade-In/Upgrade/Discount offer for Mac Pro systems to upscale to the Sandy Bridge models?

Does History show this to even be a possibility? I thought they do something like this with the iPhone releases, but I may be pulling stuff out of the air.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by compos24 View Post

Nuts!

Any possibility that Apple will offer a Trade-In/Upgrade/Discount offer for Mac Pro systems to upscale to the Sandy Bridge models?

Does History show this to even be a possibility? I thought they do something like this with the iPhone releases, but I may be pulling stuff out of the air.

Nope. Apple only does trade-ins on iPods. And then you only get ten percent off your new one.

If you really want Sandy Bridge, wait a year for it. But if you can wait a year for a Mac Pro, you don't really need it at all.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
(Sigh)

Well, it looks like I'll just suffer through with my Mac Pro (2010 model).

I do need the upgrade in processing power from my iMac. I would've liked to be on the latest model, but it's not required. At least I'll feel pretty cool for almost a year. lol.

Well, you've been very helpful!

Thank you for putting in the time here.
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Given the amount of public troubles on the Sandy Bridge processors, I have begun to rethink purchasing a Mac Pro now instead of later.

Answer a few questions, and help me decide.

Is it likely that an updated Mac Pro system with the SB processors will experience a similar problem?

Would there be a significant gain in performance speed and quality with this new generation?

Would buying a Mac Pro now, with faster and larger upgrades, be better than a Mac Pro model with the SB processors and "medium" upgrades?

The biggest argument to wait, I guess, is that having the SB model will allow me to upgrade. If I get a Mac Pro now, I would have to purchase a whole new system to be able to use the SB processors.

Thoughts?
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by compos24 View Post

Given the amount of public troubles on the Sandy Bridge processors

Why not read the actual releases instead of assuming the trouble is with the processors?

Quote:
Is it likely that an updated Mac Pro system with the SB processors will experience a similar problem?

No, because there is nothing wrong with the processors. It's the SATA II connectors, which have not only already been fixed, but would have been irrelevant by the time the Xeon chipsets come out.

Quote:
Would there be a significant gain in performance speed and quality with this new generation?

Define significant.

Quote:
Would buying a Mac Pro now, with faster and larger upgrades, be better than a Mac Pro model with the SB processors and "medium" upgrades?

I'd say not, but if you need a Mac Pro, you'll be buying instantly, regardless of updates.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by compos24 View Post

Okay. But, if I want to take advantage of what the Sandy Bridge processors have to offer, I WILL have to buy a whole new Mac Pro?

I'm sorry for asking potentially juvenile questions. I'm not a Tech Guy, in the fullest sense. Not that this material really requires such a title.

My brain short-circuited, sort of, when you brought this to my attention. I remember reading about the Sandy Bridge chips as info came along. But I wasn't thinking of them.

Here I was... finally in a financial comfort zone to purchase this great system, and now the sound of the next great model looms in the distance. Of course, this is an issue we Mac folks are used to, let alone anything in Technology.

Many thanks to your description! I understand this part, It is exactly what I need.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanghijx6 View Post

Many thanks to your description! I understand this part, It is exactly what I need.

I wouldn't expect Mac Pro updates for a while yet...at least another 3 months. But that is only my personal guess so take it with about as much salt as it deserves. How much does Thunderbolt mean to you because that now has to be a certainty in the next model.

For a relatively low volume product, Apple seems to hold off on smaller updates. Remember how long we waited before the 2010 revision!
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

For a relatively low volume product, Apple seems to hold off on smaller updates. Remember how long we waited before the 2010 revision!

You mean the 2008 model. 518 days. 2008-9 has nothing on that.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac Pro Purchase - Now or Wait?