or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sony to take on Apple with next-gen PlayStation Portable, Android game store

Sony to take on Apple with next-gen PlayStation Portable, Android game store

post #1 of 138
Sony will challenge Apple's iOS later this year with the just-announced next-generation PlayStation Portable, codenamed NGP, and a PlayStation Suite game store that will also be available on Google's Android mobile operating system.

Sony NGP

After hinting that the next generation of the PSP handheld gaming device would take cues from Apple by incorporating touch and motion controls, Sony unveiled the device, dubbed the Next Generation Portable, at a media event in Tokyo Thursday Engadget reports.

The device is built around five key concepts: Revolutionary User Interface, Social Connectivity, Location-based Entertainment, Converging Real and Virtual (augmented) Reality. It will also be compatible with the just-announced PlayStation Suite, a cross-platform software framework for mobile gaming.

According to the report, the NGP will sport a 5-inch touchscreen OLED display with a resolution of 960 pixels by 544 pixels, "dual analog sticks, 3G, WiFi GPS, front and rear touchpads, motion sensors, an electronic compass, and cameras on both the front and the rear."

According to the report, the handheld will utilize a quad-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU. Sony is touting the device's CPU as "the most advanced" in its class, claiming the NGP will be as powerful as the current-generation PlayStation 3.

As reported by AppleInsider earlier this month, the Sony NGP will use Imagination Technologies' SGX543MP4+, also with quad-core capabilities.

Sony announced an aggressive release target for the NGP of the 2011 holiday season. The next-gen handheld will use a user interface dubbed LiveArea with built-in social networking.

At the event, Sony demoed titles from popular game franchises such as Killzone, Resistance, Little Big Planet and Uncharted, as well as several tech demos on the new device, including how the rear touchpad will be used for gameplay.

Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney was on hand to show off the Unreal Engine 3 on the NGP, starting with the same Citadel demo from Apple's Sept. 1 media event last year, but adding a "full living environment and realtime-rendered characters."

PlayStation Suite

Sony's PlayStation Suite appears to be the content platform that the rumored Android-based Sony Ericsson 'PlayStation Phone' will use. The framework will initially include an emulator for PlayStation Portable and PlayStation 1 titles, eventually broadening to a "hardware-neutral" development framework for multiple devices.

Sony announced Thursday that an Android-compatible version of the PlayStation Suite is already in the works and should arrive later this year, though Android 2.3 or higher will be required.

In order to qualify for the PS Suite, hardware manufacturers will need to join the newly minted PlayStation Certified license program, which will ensure consistent quality across different devices.

Sony's partnership with Google Android is a first for the gaming giant, which has tended to prefer proprietary formats. According to the company's press release for the PlayStation Suite, "users will be able to enjoy PlayStation content on an open operating system for the first time in PlayStation history."

Apple vs. Sony

Sony's inclusion of a variety of input methods on the NGP: gamepad, capacitive touchpad, touchscreen, analog sticks, gyroscope, accelerometer and dual cameras seems to reflect a growing desperation from the company, resulting in 'control creep.' It appears that Sony, after watching the iPhone and iPod touch chip away at its market share for years, decided on an awkward marriage of the intuitive touch and motion controls of iOS with the legacy gamepad and analog stick controls from its previous PlaySation products. As with the PlayStation Portable and the PlayStation 3, Sony has once again turned to raw hardware specs and processing power to drive sales.

That Sony is willing to partner with Google Android, as much a rival as Apple's iOS, only adds to the evidence that both Sony and Google see Apple as a threat so dangerous that it would turn rivals into partners.

A recent report by Interpret revealed that the proportion of mobile games played on the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP had declined by 13 percent. Even more worrisome for standalone gaming manufacturers was the fact that more than 27 percent of consumers who play games only on their phones actually own a DS or PSP, but do not actively use them.

Last fall, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter went so far as to predict that "the PSP2 is going to be dead on arrival," though he, of course, made the prediction without knowing the specific details of the NGP.

In October of last year, rumors emerged that Apple was considering buying Sony. Apple CEO Steve Jobs had told analyst that the company was planning big moves with its more than $50 billion warchest.

Though the rumors were quickly dismissed, their rapid dissemination may evince the public's view that Apple is in a dominant position and that Sony is struggling. According to Reuters, Sony is expected to post a fall in profits next week when it reports its quarterly earnings. By comparison, Apple reported its best quarter in history last week with revenue of over $26.74 billion.
post #2 of 138
Instead of chasing Apple they need to simply innovate.
post #3 of 138
What? Sony's PSP was a premier portable gaming system long before Apple even thought about portable gaming, given that the system was released in Japan on December 12, 2004, and in North America on March 24, 2005.

Get Real!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #4 of 138
Sony was always known for making great hardware, and finished it off with horrible, sloppy, DRM-infested software that ruined the entire experience.

At least Sony seemed to wise-up and let someone else (Google/Android) do the OS.

Looks like it has a chance... back in pre-iPhone 2007. \
post #5 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

What? Sony's PSP was a premier portable gaming system long before Apple even thought about portable gaming, given that the system was released in Japan on December 12, 2004, and in North America on March 24, 2005.

Get Real!

What? Sega's GameGear was a premiere portable gaming system long before Sony even thought about portable gaming, given that the system was released in Japan on October 6, 1990, and in North America on April 26, 1991.

Get Realer!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 138
some technical specifications

CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 core (quad core)
GPU: SGX543MP4+ (quad core)
external dimensions: approximately 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth)
touch screen: OLED (16:9), 960 x 544 pixels
wireless communcations: 3G, IEEE 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth
other: rear touchpad, front and rear cameras, gyroscope and accelerometer

SOURCE: official news release http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...114703879.html
post #7 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What? Sega's GameGear was a premiere portable gaming system long before Sony even thought about portable gaming, given that the system was released in Japan on October 6, 1990, and in North America on April 26, 1991.

Get Realer!

What? Nintendo’s Gameboy was a premiere portable gaming system before Sega released a portable gaming system, given that the system was released in April 21, 1989, in North America on July 31, 1989.

Get Realerer!

Seriously, what problem could he have with the article. Is he really arguing that Sony’s old PSP that lost out to the GameBoy is some how a superior device simply because it was around before the iPhone? He made his typical complaint without actually stating a valid argument.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #8 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

external dimensions: approximately 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth)
other: read touchpad, front and rear cameras, gyroscope and accelerometer

SOURCE: official news release http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...114703879.html

post #9 of 138
I would like to see what the distribution of games sold in apps stores is in terms of "real" games Vs. "time wasters".

Anyways, Apple needs to buy EA to stay competitive.
post #10 of 138
Quote:

What is the point of multiple core CPUs when the target OS doesn't support parallel task execution?

While the LInux kernel used in Android supports SMP, Dalvik and the JNI interpreter do not and execute tasks sequentially
post #11 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

What is the point of multiple core CPUs when the target OS doesn't support parallel task execution?

While the LInux kernel used in Android supports SMP, Dalvik and the JNI interpreter do not and execute tasks sequentially

So are you saying that the new NGP (such a stupid name) is running Android? I HIGHLY doubt it
post #12 of 138
Quote:

an answer will be given once you can back up your claim (i.e., "the target OS doesn't support parallel task execution") with compelling evidence.
post #13 of 138
Haha, and a few months ago we were led to believe that Apple was buying Sony.
post #14 of 138
I for one am disappointed at no price release, but the specs are just mouth watering.

That and the high tier support that will surely follow from industry leaders will make this thing amazing

Im totally sold. Also, PSP on my Vibrant? Yes please!

Im sure now that the Playstation Suite will be a serious pain in Apples side. The benchmark im assuming is similar to the phone they DIDN'T announce, which is pretty average for todays smartphones being sold.

With the way Android is blowing up, and Sony partnering up with Android to push their content what will soon be the dominant OS in a couple of years, it could spell trouble not only for Apple, but Nintendo as well
post #15 of 138
OK. Dual core this, Quad core that... etc... etc...

...and if it's not DOA, the 2011 iPod Touch and iPad-2 will have it for breakfast.

It's all in the software/UI + the ecosystem.

It's announced so early that by the time of release, the specs will be old news.

Time will tell.
post #16 of 138
They have no chance. This is a sign maybe? Sega went software only. Sony is now entertaining the idea of having games not just on Sony brands but on Android now? More piracy and less sales. Sony will be the new sega long before nintendo. I still remember when apple stock was $6 a share and the rumors were that Sony was gonna buy apple to save it. Good thing they didn't because the new PSP would have nothing to copy after losing miserably to the DS. They can cram a cell processor in their new PSP and it still wouldn't sell out more than a 3DS or iPhone.

Atleast MS tries to do more effort into things like the kinect. Sony is a sad sad company any more. But I still love their stereo receivers and the TVs.
post #17 of 138
Quote:

And the battery lasts exactly for how long?
post #18 of 138
You know how people bitch about Apple Keynotes and Jobs' Reality Distortion Field and how it's all stupid and shit because he says nice things about Apple products even though people like totally know that they never innovate and it's completely over the top and whatnot?

Having seen the Samsung CES presentation and now the Sony dog and pony show, wherein the proceedings appear to have been crafted by people tripping their asses off, I have to say they make the average Apple product rollout look a meeting of midwestern Republican bankers discussing wheat futures.

Apple just puts its shit up there and Jobs says "Boom! Awesome! Look what it does! Look at how pretty! Ain't it swell?" Sony and Samsung drone on about bizarro "strategies" that involve a philosophical melding of hardware and some kind of human ascension to the next level of consciousness, or evolutionary transcendence, or cybernetic nightmare, or I'm actually not sure.

I don't think you'll ever hear anyone from Apple go "Our new products. They're part of our Hypnodigital Overload vision. Merging the now and never. Soon. Across the Universe. Gabba gabba hey."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #19 of 138
This won't even be available for purchase until the 2011 holiday season. That's 10 months away. Who is to say that other competitors can't develop a better console by then?

Quad-core is not only available to Sony to utilize. You don't show your enemy your fight weapons ahead of time, because he will know what to fight you with. But when you do that, it shows you are scared.

Sony is definitely scared. And desperate!
post #20 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You know how people bitch about Apple Keynotes and Jobs' Reality Distortion Field and how it's all stupid and shit because he says nice things about Apple products even though people like totally know that they never innovate and it's completely over the top and whatnot?

Having seen the Samsung CES presentation and now the Sony dog and pony show, wherein the proceedings appear to have been crafted by people tripping their asses off, I have to say they make the average Apple product rollout look a meeting of midwestern Republican bankers discussing wheat futures.

Apple just puts its shit up there and Jobs says "Boom! Awesome! Look what it does! Look at how pretty! Ain't it swell?" Sony and Samsung drone on about bizarro "strategies" that involve a philosophical melding of hardware and some kind of human ascension to the next level of consciousness, or evolutionary transcendence, or cybernetic nightmare, or I'm actually not sure.

I don't think you'll ever hear anyone from Apple go "Our new products. They're part of our Hypnodigital Overload vision. Merging the now and never. Soon. Across the Universe. Gabba gabba hey."

Another awesome example is when Sony spouted on and on about their marketing combination with Coke. That was an impressive E3 showing.
post #21 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

This won't even be available for purchase until the 2011 holiday season. That's 10 months away. Who is to say that other competitors can't develop a better console by then?

Quad-core is not only available to Sony to utilize. You don't show your enemy your fight weapons ahead of time, because he will know what to fight you with. But when you do that, it shows you are scared.

I see what you're saying, but gaming systems has been presented well in advance for years. It's a traditional way to build up anticipation over time. Really just about everyone in any industry is presenting things well in advance. Apple is among the few who're presenting things when they're ready to ship, building hype with the element of surprise and polish. I'm sure Nintendo will be pushing their 3DS a lot over the summer and hoping to overshine the NGP release with a great first year. And just before the release of the NGP I'm sure the enemies will try to hurt them with some press release of what's coming in 2012.

But I'm sure Sony is feeling a little desperate nonetheless
post #22 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Uh, it takes more than a few months to brew together an entire console and actually get some support behind it. No one is going to drop another handheld, not even MS.

This is a move to steer would be buyers away from the 3DS which is set to launch on March iirc.
post #23 of 138
Quote:

I would like to see what the distribution of games sold in apps stores is in terms of "real" games Vs. "time wasters".

95% shareware type/casual. There are some pretty decent quality games though if you know where to look. EAs game are top notch, Square has some good ones (some of which are iOS exclusive), and Gameloft while generally copying the ideas of other game makers can make some really good copies.

As for the playstation suite it does do something potentially do something that Google themselves so far has been able to do, gives the manufacturers incentive to get up to date on their OS patches. If they want in, they are going to have to update to gingerbread. This includes themselves because their joint venture with Ericsson hasn't been too diligent with updates.
post #24 of 138
Sony came thru from what I see but the price of the unit and then the price of the games will be prohibitive to a certain set in the iphone and touch crowd.
Moreover,the cost of developing games for the specs on the psp2 are going to be challenging at best. And the core thing needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
I read an article where the writer wrote that the Zune HD touted the core thing but he latter went on to say that unless the kernels are used properly the cores don;t mean squat.
A game dev will have to not only take into consideration the high res screen but also the battery life when making a game. Yeah, they'll be ports but the stuff made from the ground up will be a different beast. And expensive.
Good luck Sony. I'm getting one as well as the iphone 5 and the ipad 2.
post #25 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Sony came thru from what I see but the price of the unit and then the price of the games will be prohibitive to a certain set in the iphone and touch crowd.
Moreover,the cost of developing games for the specs on the psp2 are going to be challenging at best. And the core thing needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
I read an article where the writer wrote that the Zune HD touted the core thing but he latter went on to say that unless the kernels are used properly the cores don;t mean squat.
A game dev will have to not only take into consideration the high res screen but also the battery life when making a game. Yeah, they'll be ports but the stuff made from the ground up will be a different beast. And expensive.
Good luck Sony. I'm getting one as well as the iphone 5 and the ipad 2.

If the content is there and its good, people will buy it. Regarding development, i think from what was being described, many things can be ported over from the PS3 to NGP with relative ease, you'd just be taking a hit in the graphics department.

Regarding battery life, if they can get the same 3-6 hours for gaming playback id be pretty satisfied.
post #26 of 138
Sounds like it'll have the edge over Apple's next hardware in terms of raw CPU and graphics - the iPhone and iPad will probably go dual core ARM with the next release. But that's OK, because it's a pure gaming device - with a quad core CPU I'd be surprised if you'll get more than an hours gaming on battery.

When I had my PSP I always had to use it plugged in as the battery life was appalling.

Sony (the games publisher) should embrace iOS though, as companies like EA are making a mint at the moment, but Sony (the games hardware manufacturer) won't let them do that.

The Android game framework sounds interesting, but they still have to overcome the big problem of getting Android owners to actually pay for downloads, because at the moment it aint happening.
post #27 of 138
Sounds like a fantastic machine, but with al the high end hardware and moving parts it must be a lot more pricey to build than Apple's hardware.

Sounds like an X-Box business strategy, but with a foreign OS.

Anyway, they'll certainly impress the kids.
post #28 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

OK. Dual core this, Quad core that... etc... etc...

...and if it's not DOA, the 2011 iPod Touch and iPad-2 will have it for breakfast.

It's all in the software/UI + the ecosystem.

It's announced so early that by the time of release, the specs will be old news.

Time will tell.

The dual core ipod Touch and iPad? Or the secret quad core ones? Is that the Touch with the secret physical buttons and the hidden 5" screen?

This isn't for playing Angry Birds or Cut the Rope on. Althoigh it's just as capable as the Touch for doing so.

You mean the massive Sony Playstation 1,2 & 3 ecosystem? Or the Android one? Or the Playstation store already in millions of homes via the PS3?

Physical buttons are a win for nearly everyone who plays more complex games. You can only pinch, tilt and shake so much.
post #29 of 138
I would buy this! Some games are just nicer to play on with the D-pad, analog sticks and solid buttons.

I wonder if they can port a fully fledged version of Call Of Duty onto this running at 60fps.
post #30 of 138
DOA.

Batery Life, or lack thereof.

Sony needs to wake up to new market realities.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Dead Space on the same device from which I posted this.

Cheers.
post #31 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

DOA.

Batery Life, or lack thereof.

Sony needs to wake up to new market realities.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Dead Space on the same device from which I posted this.

Cheers.

And I'm sure the physical controls are a joy to use. Wait.....
post #32 of 138
Ooh, I'm shaking!

The Sony brand is now about as cool and relevant as Brylcreem.
post #33 of 138
I am very excited for this but it in no way affects how/when/if I will use/buy/upgrade my iPhone.

I don't understand all the negative stigma here. This is not out to replace the iPhone, it's simply trying to regain share of the gaming market. Which I think is entirely reasonable: as a long time gamer, I hate using the iPhone as a gaming device, but will when I have to.

This looks like an awesome step into the future for heavy portable gamers, an area where Nintendo has shown some real slack. Personally I think the 3DS is a joke. And I am a huge Nintendo fan, but very disappointed in their direction these past few years.

It seems to me that most of you are hating on Sony just because it's Sony, and aren't providing any real reasons. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I hate the way that as soon as one device pushes technology forward it's the expected standard. This device a year ago, even six months ago, would blow you out of the water. Stop being so picky.
post #34 of 138
Sony is a company that is trying to find it's way back to prominence, IMO. I hope that this new device is one of the first steps, although I have my doubts. My recent experiences with Sony have not been good. My wife had bought a DVD with a digital copy but you could not download it on a Mac. It really is something that should be simple to do but left me with a bad feeling about Sony.

Neal
post #35 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by n42 View Post

I am very excited for this but it in no way affects how/when/if I will use/buy/upgrade my iPhone.

I don't understand all the negative stigma here. This is not out to replace the iPhone, it's simply trying to regain share of the gaming market. Which I think is entirely reasonable: as a long time gamer, I hate using the iPhone as a gaming device, but will when I have to.

This looks like an awesome step into the future for heavy portable gamers, an area where Nintendo has shown some real slack. Personally I think the 3DS is a joke. And I am a huge Nintendo fan, but very disappointed in their direction these past few years.

It seems to me that most of you are hating on Sony just because it's Sony, and aren't providing any real reasons. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I hate the way that as soon as one device pushes technology forward it's the expected standard. This device a year ago, even six months ago, would blow you out of the water. Stop being so picky.

Well they copied xbox with award system (or whatever it's called). They copied Nintendo with PS3wiimotes. They are replicating the iPhone/Touch with their new gaming system. Just because they slap a crap load of buttons and controls doesn't mean it's not a copy. That goes exactly for their new motion controllers and the iPhone gaming system just announced.
post #36 of 138
Sony might have a better chance against Nintendo as they're also selling a high spec device. But Apple's lower store pricing is going to be hard to beat.

I don't see me buying the NGP or the kids a Nintendo 3DS just yet given the higher cost of the games. In fact I view the Sony's NGP and Nintendo 3DS as too expensive for my young kids.
post #37 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It appears that Sony, after watching the iPhone and iPod touch chip away at its market share for years, decided on an awkward marriage of the intuitive touch and motion controls of iOS with the legacy gamepad and analog stick controls from its previous PlayStation products.

This just floored me. You don't think the fact they are releasing games for both phones and portable console was considered? You don't suppose that the "awkward marriage" of controls as executed by the Nintendo DS that came out years before the iPhone and has shipped >140 million had anything to do with it?

You think Sony just looked at the iPhone and said "let's copy that"?

And then this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As with the PlayStation Portable and the PlayStation 3, Sony has once again turned to raw hardware specs and processing power to drive sales.

Yeah, it's just specs... well specs and a whole bunch of games and franchises that shit over anything available on iOS.

Sony make their own games. They have over 30 1st and 2nd party developers on board.

Obviously Apple get huge kudos for creating a way for devs to easily monetize their ideas, but apart from that they have done precious little for gaming on iOS.

I have no doubt that if iPod/iPhone/iPad had to compete as a "games" platform, as opposed to an "it's awesome as a phone/contacts/email/Internet browser that I can listen to my music on and heck I can play games on it as well" platform that both the PSP and NDS would wipe the floor with it.

EDIT
OK, so I've got to clarify this before a bunch of rabid lunatics start frothing at the mouth and hurling abuse at me.

I think the PSP will undoubtedly offer a superior gaming experience over iOS, but I also think it will bomb as a platform.

Just like countless other devices that were once seen as something to be purchased separately, mobile gaming has become just another feature check-box commodity of our converging electronic lives.

So let's just call a spade a spade. Yes, iOS will be a more popular gaming platform, but that doesn't mean that it's "better".

EDIT 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The NGP will certainly offer the best possible mobile gaming experience. But I am pretty sure it will be a disaster as a platform.

^^QFT
post #38 of 138
The original PSP had a large screen - physical controls - and a high specification.

It appealed to to hard-core gamers. But sold poorly. Software was patchy because developers faced full-sized development costs and lower mobile revenues.

This product repeats the exact same mistakes.

It is large and single purpose. So it's not for girls. You really need a bag to carry it in.

So if you are a casual gamer, you'll get an iPod touch or a 3DS.

The NGP is a full-on hardcore gamer machine. And if you are a hardcore gamer, then Angry Birds is not going to cut it. You'll want .. no, you'll demand! .. full games, with fancy graphics and epic production values.

Sounds good, but developers will need deep pockets to fund NGP development. And in return they'll get a smaller share of the revenues. And a much smaller market.

And while hardcore gamers say they want epic games on a handheld, they really resent paying full-sized console prices for mobile content.

The NGP will certainly offer the best possible mobile gaming experience. But I am pretty sure it will be a disaster as a platform.

C.
post #39 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I would buy this! Some games are just nicer to play on with the D-pad, analog sticks and solid buttons.

Most in this segment. As much I like the iOS, control using a touch based virtual D-pad can be sketchy at best.
post #40 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The original PSP had a large screen - physical controls - and a high specification.

It appealed to to hard-core gamers. But sold poorly.

Right, so 62 million units is now selling poorly?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sony to take on Apple with next-gen PlayStation Portable, Android game store