or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple and News Corp to hold Feb 2nd event to launch The Daily

Apple and News Corp to hold Feb 2nd event to launch The Daily - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Are there any left-wing cellular providers I can choose? Those right-wing ones like AT&T and Verizon are horrible how they make profits and then spend money upgrading their networks to new technologies like 4G.

One with a free 4G data plan and unlimited minutes paid for by someone else would be nice. And an iPhone with a bumper case made from hemp too.

Good point, except it is not really 4G. They call it that so they can sell it as that. Again just a bunch of made up lies.
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I'm not looking forward to The Daily, I am however looking forward to the subscription feature to be added. Then the publishers can start offering cheaper subscription for their iPad contents. I just can't pay $4.99 per issue.

Regardless of your political leanings, what is impressive here is that Murdoch decided to price a digital distribution at an appropriate price. I think The Daily might do very well at 99¢ per week and, hopefully, leads the way to other periodicals adopting the platform.
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you will be able to subscribe to written content...

Shouldn't you be able to subscribe to:

-- Music content
-- Video/Movie content
-- Artistic content

-- App and Games

The answer is obviously yes and this should demonstrate that Apple has the technology to provide these option. However, your first two suggestions involve the studios who are so terrified of Apple that they would rather people steal from them than allow Apple to provide workable and profitable solution.
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Propaganda from Rupert 'I only became an American to control your media' Murdoch?

Pass.

Wow, that's original ... you said the exact same thing in another post. Think of something original?

Edited: Well bigpics called you out, but oh well, it's still true.
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

So long, "Acerbic."

Nice. You didn't change a word from your yesterday post on the topic. Guess that cut and paste thing is a real boon.

Using newspapers and TV stations to influence elections?!? My god, this has certainly never happened before! Certainly the New York Times and MSNBC would never stoop this low. Quick, call the FCC! This must not stand!!!

Actually, to be "fair and balanced," there is one at least that plays the "social responsibility" card: Credo No iPhones, but lotsa' Droids for all you guilt-ridden types. A good liberal friend of mine had it - limited selection, uses, I think the Sprint towers, but she was driven to the evil side of the force by a shiny, squeaky iPhone.

post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Re:Fox News is a disgrace to impartial journalism.
Agreed, and is there anyone on the planet who disagrees with this, including the presenters at Fox? Fox news is an embarrassment to news reporting, even though it's a 'news' program, it is more of an infotainment program than the Daily show, a comedy program, which effectively lampoons it regularly. This is all general knowledge.

So you going to call out the MSNBC? Another ridiculous and heavily slanted/opinionated, so called 'news' station? Why call out only Fox, eh? Why not tear up MSNBC? Oh that's right cause they spew your flavor of news, so they must be alright ... my bad.
post #47 of 57
Wonder if Gizmodo got an invite? Seems this event is more News Corps' than Apple's - no Steve and a NYC location.
post #48 of 57
I feel another Class Action Lawsuit coming on.

Yep, soon the local newspaper will be available for your iPad, and you know sure in shit, some kid is going to throw it up on the porch, and break the Glass, and say, Hey, I've been throwing newspapers the same way for years,and never had a problem
post #49 of 57
Murdoch basically owns the media and controls the news. Great, now he's directly connected to Jobs. Hopefully Steve isn't gonna get sucked deeper into the control thing.
post #50 of 57
Quote:

Baa-a-a-a..Baa-a-a-a..

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbas View Post

Baa-a-a-a.. Baa-a-a-a..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Baa-a-a-a.. Baa-a-a-a..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

Baa-a-a-a.. Baa-a-a-a..

Quote:

Baa-a-a-a.. Baa-a-a-a..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Baa-a-a-a.. Baa-a-a-a..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin View Post

Baa-a-a-a.. Baa-a-a-a..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Baa-a-a-a.. Baa-a-a-a..

Wow. I'm afraid to say, the fact that you felt you had to interject your political opinions and add little (or nothing) else to the conversation officially makes you nutjobs (way to make your voices heard). Somehow I'm not surprised to find intolerance to other opinions reflexively regurgitated at the spinal cord level from those who often claim otherwise. The lack of insight continues to astound me. Anyway..

As much as I would like apple to exert more control over, and dramatically improve (eg Pixar), content, I believe that 'content' is not 'clean' enough for apple, and I agree with their position. I think what they are doing with newscorp is perfect: be engaged with, and possibly invest in, content providers to ensure quality controls and establish content streams for their amazing products. Rather than buy content providers outright, I hope to see apple establish more symbiotic relationships with (or buy influential pieces of) content providers.
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

As much as I would like apple to exert more control over, and dramatically improve (eg Pixar), content, I believe that 'content' is not 'clean' enough for apple, and I agree with their position. I think what they are doing with newscorp is perfect: be engaged with, and possibly invest in, content providers to ensure quality controls and establish content streams for their amazing products. Rather than buy content providers outright, I hope to see apple establish more symbiotic relationships with (or buy influential pieces of) content providers.

Interesting idea. Do you think Apple could actually have leveraged some control over what goes into The Daily? That would be new territory in publishing.
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

Wow. I'm afraid to say, the fact that you felt you had to interject your political opinions and add little (or nothing) else to the conversation officially makes you nutjobs (way to make your voices heard). Somehow I'm not surprised to find intolerance to other opinions reflexively regurgitated at the spinal cord level from those who often claim otherwise. The lack of insight continues to astound me. Anyway..

Thank you for teaching us about tolerance for other opinions by rounding them up and characterizing them as the bleating of sheep.

And no, your lack of insight doesn't surprise me in the least.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #53 of 57
deleted
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

So you going to call out the MSNBC? Another ridiculous and heavily slanted/opinionated, so called 'news' station? Why call out only Fox, eh? Why not tear up MSNBC? Oh that's right cause they spew your flavor of news, so they must be alright ... my bad.

Agreed, I classify myself center-right, as do most people in this country. With that said I have no ill-will towards those who proclaim themselves "on the left." MSNBC could announce a similar subscription tomorrow and I could care less, and most of the people who "run in my circle" feel the same. Why is it those who proclaim the ideas of "political freedom" the most are the ones who blast outlets such as Fox?

Other than a failure to accept reality because the news coming from Fox isn't what they think it should be, there is no other reason except they are ridiculous and childish...
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Murdoch basically owns the media and controls the news. Great, now he's directly connected to Jobs. Hopefully Steve isn't gonna get sucked deeper into the control thing.

Really? How much of "the media" does he own and how much of "the news" does he control?

Granting that he's the Chairman and a major stockholder in publicly traded Newscorp (not "the" owner), and just considering the US, does one broadcast net of the big four provide "control" of the media? How about one cable news and one business news outlet (and is it through nefarious means that the one news net gets higher ratings than the others)?

Is his smattering of mostly second tier newspapers (other than the Wall St. Journal) controlling the New York Times/LA Times/Boston Globe, USA Today, Washington Post, the Chicago, Miami, San Francisco and other big city papers, Time, Newsweek, the AP, Reuters, Bloomberg, etc., etc., etc.?? Any of the major politically-oriented blogs? The list of what's neither controlled nor owned goes on (and on) (and on). And the fact that over 90% of journalists vote for Democrats totally belies a Fox-controlled "press."

Also, not much is published about Steve Jobs' politics, but there's a general impression that Steve is hardly a Tea Partier or a conservative Republican, and since he's more into CREATING Reality Distortion Fields (for marketing purposes, not political ones) than being sucked into same, I really doubt Apple's media efforts have now fallen into right-wing clutches.

Finally, I'm never going to turn a thread about Apple's products, technology or strategies into a political thread on my own, but I"m also no longer going to sit on my thumbs when intolerant idjits from the "peace, love and tolerance" crowd jump into one and start promulgating either bizarre cabal theories (as here) or call for outright censorship of points of view other than their own.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I wouldn't buy anything produced by Murdoch. He is the worst kind of media mogul. He uses his newspapers and television stations to influence national elections then tries to use that influence to strong arm our elected politicians into giving him what he wants. Here in the UK his newspapers like The Sun slavishly follow his editorial line regardless of the facts or the truth. Fox News is a disgrace to impartial journalism. Our elected dimwits are too scared to take him on so it's up to the rest of us. I wouldn't soil my beautiful iPad with this piece of crap.

It's good for reference, Now I got it, Thanks for your sharing!
post #57 of 57
The lead story yesterday did seem more like an op-ed piece than straight news. The first few pages were devoted to how the president is spineless in foreign policy and how his secretary of state is quitting after this term. It wasn't presented as "news" at all.

Other than that though, I've been fairly impressed with The Daily's journalism.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple and News Corp to hold Feb 2nd event to launch The Daily