or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass

Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass - Page 2

post #41 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

He should sue whoever was responsible for surfacing the hard ground that his daughter dropped it on too.

And he should sue his daughter for carelessness.

And he should sue his wife for the bad genes which gave his daughter such weak grip.

And he should sue the government for providing an inadequate education system which allowed him to grow up to be such a moron.

post #42 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

"20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic," and is "ultradurable" having been made from the same material as the "glass used in helicopters and high-speed trains."

If Apple actually claims this, then they are in trouble.

Apple didn't invent glass and plastic. Based on engineering properties glass is Young's Modulus (modulus of elasticity) is between 50 GPa to 90 GPa while plastic is 2.5 GPa. So glass is 20 to 30 times harder/stiffer than plastic. However, glass have a disadvantage of being brittle.
post #43 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Dropping it from 3 feet is not normal use.

My Waterford Crystal vase broke when the maid knocked it off of the Louis XIV bureau... I'm suing Waterford!!!

Oh man please tell me it's a French maid and she wears the traditional outfit.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #44 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

why should americans take personal responsibility? our leaders don't. they lie, cheat and steal.

SO I SHOULD DO THE SAME, RIGHT GUYZ?!?!

Seriously, the deficiencies of America start from the bottom, not the top. And your comment is a prime example of this sorry truth.
post #45 of 303
Last night I went to bar, had a few too many, dropped my rocks glass, it hit the counter, shattered, went to the floor and cut my foot (I was wearing sandals). Ambulance came, took me to the hostpital and got 10 stitches, not before I punched out the nurse for cutting my Calvin Klein jeans off.

I'm suing the bartender for not cutting me off, the bar for hiring such an inept employee, the bar again for using glass that doesn't break, the counter manufacturer for not adding rubberized raiils to protect from such mishaps (after all, it IS a bar), the liquor manufacturer for making a product that KNOWINGLY causes an altered state of consciousness... and it burned when it hit my open wound. I'm suing the ambulance for such an expensive trip, and that friggin nurse, for destroying my jeans (seriously, they aren't onesies with built in booties... It was just a foot). Oh yeah, and the damn cops for arresting me on TWO charges: Public Intoxication and assault. Oh, and I'm sure I can name Apple for something that happened that night too.

Show me the money. I'm proud to be American.
post #46 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Dropping it from 3 feet is not normal use.

My Waterford Crystal vase broke when the maid knocked it off of the Louis XIV bureau... I'm suing Waterford!!!

Don't forget to sue Louis XIV for making his bureau so tall.
post #47 of 303
while I do think the lawsuit is stupid, I also think building a mobile phone out of glass is quite stupid too. Maybe they did it with the intention of making the back a multi-touch surface too, which is fair enough but it's too vulnerable to breakage. They use plastic camera lenses, I'm sure they could do the same with the back.
post #48 of 303
In other news, the girl also crashed her dad's car. To everyone's surprise fender and hood were dented and the windshield got a crack.

Another class action lawsuit is in the works.
post #49 of 303
Couldn't he just return it to the Apple Store and get it fixed?
post #50 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

while I do think the lawsuit is stupid, I also think building a mobile phone out of glass is quite stupid too. Maybe they did it with the intention of making the back a multi-touch surface too, which is fair enough but it's too vulnerable to breakage. They use plastic camera lenses, I'm sure they could do the same with the back.

had they used plastic, they would suffer the wrath of those who filed a class action lawsuit against them over the first gen nano that people claimed, "scratched too easily."

the scratch resistance of glass is why they used it instead of plastic, like the previous 2 iphones, due to so many complaints by people who marred the backs of the iphones. they also didnt intend for people to sue them when they break their own device, either. i dont care what excuse someone comes up with... the bottom line is that NO PHONE (other than specifically ruggedized) is guaranteed against drops.
post #51 of 303
The phone is a mobile device. One might argue that it should be able to withstand the incidents of its normal use. It is not a remote possibliity that a mobile phone might be dropped, or even knocked out of the user's hand.

No previous phone was created substantially from glass and there's probably a very good reason why. glass breaks.

Being a mobile device you shouldn't have to treat the thing with kid gloves. You shouldnt be negligent with it either but that's another matter.

My first impression with the iPhone 4 was that i was afraid to hold it. It was my friends and it felt quite slippery and it's shape made me feel like it might escape my grasp at any time.

It's a beautiful device. No doubt about it. But its use case suggests that perhaps different materials should have been used.

Should i get one - i am still on contract - it will be first time i consider a case for a phone.
post #52 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyturd View Post

In other news, the girl also crashed her dad's car. To everyone's surprise fender and hood were dented and the windshield got a crack.

Another class action lawsuit is in the works.

And it was iCar. didn't come with fender and hood. They were an optional accessory to protect the good looks of the vehicle.

post #53 of 303
Quote:

"20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic," and is "ultradurable" having been made from the same material as the "glass used in helicopters and high-speed trains."

http://http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/ sorry to tell you, i would say more, but on itouch

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #54 of 303
I spilled my McDonalds coffee on my iPhone...
post #55 of 303
Attorneys have found "bottom feeding" is more profitable than "ambulance chasing!"
post #56 of 303
I remember the first aluminum iPhone...it was like holding a bar of soap!

He should have put a case on it. Bad parenting then and bad parenting now by showing his daughter he's going to sue! What a cheese d**k!
post #57 of 303
His daughter was holding it wrong.

-S. Jobs
Sent from my Iphone
post #58 of 303
I'm surprised he didn't also file a lawsuit against his daughter.
post #59 of 303
[QUOTE=djsherly;1795549...
Should i get one - i am still on contract - it will be first time i consider a case for a phone.[/QUOTE]

I would also recommend you just replace the back glass with an aftermarket backing. My friend did this for $20 (and an hour of labor.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20019940-1.html
post #60 of 303
Quote:

I am sure they thought of it. I am sure customers know. And if they buy it, then it's their problem.

The fact that Apple sold tens of millions of them tells us that your concern about the company's 'stupidity' is unwarranted.
post #61 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Some people do prefer it cooler, but the McDonald's coffee was kept at a significantly higher temperature than 180-185F, which is also one of the reasons it tastes like crap since the flavor of brewed coffee degrades at a rate directly proportional to the temp it is kept at.

Actually, the capuccinos and espressos served in McDonalds (in the newer McDs that serve them) are surprisingly good.

Better than the bitter nonsense you get at Starbucks, as far as my palate is concerned.
post #62 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They do claim this and it's also true.

Unfortunately, if you drop a helicopter on the pavement windscreen first, the windscreen will still break. Try it.

Too funny!
post #63 of 303
As to the statistic that says that iphone 4's have a higher incidence of being damaged than the 3GS, one has to be careful about what you are actually observing. Is the issue that once the phone is dropped, it's more likely to break. Or is the issue that the ergonomics and materials on the phone make it simply more likely to drop? It's important to understand which is the case when you're trying to solve the problem. Unfortunately you can't just look at bumpered/cased phones since they affect both scenarios.

I remember when I got my 1G iphone. I dropped it the first week I had it (first week of availability so I pad full retail for the thing). It fell from approx 4.5 ft onto the concrete sidewalk. Needless to say, I was gripping badly until I picked it up and saw that the only damage was a small dent and scuffing on the aluminum on the top corner. I've subsequently dropped that phone a good half dozen times and it has come through with only a few scratches every time. Once my wife actually left her 1G on the roof of my car, when I came to the first stop, I could hear something skittering across the roof and then saw the iphone fly in front of me onto my hood and then onto the roadway. Again, go get it and the only damage is a small dent on the corner. Now that was some awesome engineering. I love the 1G so much I still have both mine and my wifes because I can't bear to get rid of them.
post #64 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, the capuccinos and espressos served in McDonalds (in the newer McDs that serve them) are surprisingly good.

Better than the bitter nonsense you get at Starbucks, as far as my palate is concerned.

Better yet get a latte at Dunkin Donuts. Its like liquid crack I tell you.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #65 of 303
Hey, dumb ass! It is glass, and twice as much as on your 3GS. Here's a thought, don't drop it.
post #66 of 303
Totally agree with you, but want to clue you into a great new doc that premiered at sundance called "hot coffee" which will completely blow you away. Turns out there is a lot more to that story of the woman who sued mcdonald's - so check it out because if you want to share the truth, it's worth knowing the whole story. http://hotcoffeethemovie.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Only in America could someone sue another party for a mistake they made and get loads of dosh for it. Reminds me of the person who sued McDonalds because of coffee being hot and won - and countless other such stories. The guy should be ashamed of himself.
post #67 of 303
Quote:

Only in America could someone sue another party for a mistake they made and get loads of dosh for it. Reminds me of the person who sued McDonalds because of coffee being hot and won - and countless other such stories. The guy should be ashamed of himself.

What's a dosh?
post #68 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

What a retard! I can't believe America is no.1 economy while it looks dumbies like this guy are multiplying here.

My house window glass broke after my neighbour's kid accidently kicked the ball in it. I am gonna class action sue window maker because when I had the old window it did not break after I kicked the ball few yeara ago.

What a moron, OMG.

I think you have a good case for that lawsuit. Remembering my own childhood, kicking a ball into the windows counts as "normal use"... like (apparently) dropping your phone 3 feet onto a hard surface.
post #69 of 303
Quote:

Actually your grasp of the facts is where the ignorance rests.
The woman you refer to had to have several surgeries just to recuperate from the severe third degree burns she suffered. The reason she won a large award (although it was reduced by an "activist judge" as "excessive," so it didn't even cover her medical expenses) was for punitive damages. Many people (scores, hundreds) had been burned in exactly the same way she was (cheap, flimsy cups not made safe for hot liquids that would fall apart in the hand.) and McDonalds had repeatedly ignored the problem, for years. They also repeatedly ignored well established guidelines for safe serving temperatures for coffee (even after previous law suit required them to change their practices.)
Today when you enjoy a hot coffee in a sturdy cup with a tight fitting lid and a sleeve you take it for granted that a paper cup of coffee was always like it is now. Coffee to go used to come in what amounts to wimpy little dixie cup like you sometimes see at water coolers and it was generally much cooler. You should thank her ever time you enjoy a good, hot coffee, and don't get burned.
[I see now I should have written faster, Manhattanlad.]
post #70 of 303
Unbelievable !
Hang on I dropped my glass glasses and they broke, I am suing.
Not only throw out this case, but fine them for wasting other people's time.
I just got an iPhone 4, guess what I immediately got a case for it. End of problem.
Are these people morons are just greedy money hungry p$%*#s ?
post #71 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

After taking an engineering law course, I think the coffee one was rather legitimate.

McDonald's instructed their franchises to serve coffee at a higher than industry standard temperature knowing that it could cause 3rd degree burns in under 10 seconds, while (going from memory here) a 3 degree drop in temperature (it might of been higher, but it was definitely less than 10 degrees) would increase the required exposure time to about a minute. The reason they served coffee at a higher temperature was to save money on coffee beans. They had basically determined that it was cheaper to pay for the occasional lawsuit than to lower the temperature the coffee was served at.

McDonalds still serves their fuc%$king coffee too hot to drink. I have to wait 15 mins before it is even sipable. It's rediculous.
post #72 of 303
Quote:

Look, the fine print with that, and ANYONE who has worked extensively with glass would know from experience, is that glass has critical break points...that isn't at all a technical term.

I have (literally) swung an 8lb sledge into the face of glass, only to have it bounce off and then "tippy tapped" the corner of the same glass to see it completely shatter.

You might say its misleading, but they probably have some fine print somewhere detailing the natural weak points of glass and are referring to the face.

My .02
post #73 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBear View Post

McDonalds still serves their fuc%$king coffee too hot to drink. I have to wait 15 mins before it is even sipable. It's rediculous.

Maybe you should sue them, its worked before.............or maybe just ask for an ice cube or two in your effing coffee.

If its not too much trouble.
post #74 of 303
Quote:

It's a case of the glass overreacting to the brittle nature of the daughter's temperament.

She being a chip off the old block, the Court will dismiss the case on the basis of father/daughter genetic abusive predicament, leaving ample room for Google countersuing the father for copyright infringement.
post #75 of 303
My helicopter fared better, but it still wasn't in perfect shape.

I think I'll sue.
post #76 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

The phone is a mobile device. One might argue that it should be able to withstand the incidents of its normal use. It is not a remote possibliity that a mobile phone might be dropped, or even knocked out of the user's hand.

No previous phone was created substantially from glass and there's probably a very good reason why. glass breaks.

Being a mobile device you shouldn't have to treat the thing with kid gloves. You shouldnt be negligent with it either but that's another matter.

My first impression with the iPhone 4 was that i was afraid to hold it. It was my friends and it felt quite slippery and it's shape made me feel like it might escape my grasp at any time.

It's a beautiful device. No doubt about it. But its use case suggests that perhaps different materials should have been used.

Should i get one - i am still on contract - it will be first time i consider a case for a phone.

I completely agree. A mobile phone is going to get dropped. You walk around with it all day, every day. Anyone who says they're never dropped their phone is a minority.
And by Apple's own design, iPhone 4 is a slippery little bastard made out of glass. I always get rubber cases for my phones so that I won't drop them. Out of the box, iphone4 is an accident waiting to happen.
post #77 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

What's a dosh?

It means he thinks lawsuits are like ATM machines -- you just push the button and money comes out.

It also means he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #78 of 303
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #79 of 303
This is Apple. The company who fights off lawsuits from the big boys. I doubt seriously that this will go anywhere. Umm, snowballs chance...
post #80 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I think you have a good case for that lawsuit. Remembering my own childhood, kicking a ball into the windows counts as "normal use"... like (apparently) dropping your phone 3 feet onto a hard surface.

Kicking Ballmer (in the balls) because of Windows also counts as "normal use".
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass