or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Egypt goes dark

Egypt goes dark - Page 8

post #281 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Compassion alone doesn't feed anyone, doesn't clothe anyone, won't keep them warm, or heal them of disease. It doesn't educate anyone. It won't lift them from privation.

Compassion requires more than "feeling good". Compassion is nothing without the means to act upon it.

Prosperity requires sound economic principles. Sound economic principles require the exercise of free will. Prosperity enables compassion.

I appreciate Noah's words but I don't actually think my posts are about compassion. I am not upset at my posts being seen as such but I don't actually see it that way myself.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #282 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Of course I did. Bush campaigned on limited government, then implemented an unprecedented expansion of it. You're obviously not familiar with my many previous posts on the subject and I have no desire to reiterate them.

I hope you can accept my apologies. I am not all that familiar with your more dated postings.

Quote:
It's been said the one thing every President wants is a second term. Well, Obama once claimed he'd rather be a "really good one-term President" than serve two terms with mediocrity. So where is the boldness? What is his vision? The guy is an inspirational milquetoast and an intellectual midget.

I too am familiar with Obama claiming he would rather make for a good one term president than being concerned with the second term. This is where I agree with YOU that he is kind of sucking as president. He by the looks of this latest budget appears not to give a damn about the future of this country by my estimation.

Quote:
Again, I reject the "trapped" mentality. A leader inspires. He motivates. If Obama truly believes he's "trapped" then this simply demonstrates he's unworthy of the office. I learned enough about him before the election to realize this, unfortunately, millions of others were guilty of judging him solely on good looks, a winning smile, and a belief that he couldn't possibly be any worse than GWB. May we not be fooled again.

For all of the distasteful criticism he's piled on the previous administration, Obama has done nothing to right its wrongs, and even compounded those errors with more of his own. He defended Obamacare with pathetic displays of white-coated doctors and ridiculous anecdotes of people dropping dead for lack of proper insurance papers, while he allowed Congress to run amok with our economic future. He's a disgrace.

Enough with Bush. It's grown tiresome. I'm still waiting for your defense of Obama's alleged superior intellect.

Enough with all of our recent leadership. They all have failed us. I said I thought Obama was one of the smartest people in DC. I can't prove this. It is an assessment. But being politically "street smart" does not always equate to my respecting their leadership. This was true with Bush for me and it is also turning out to be quite true with Obama as well with me.

I would always opt for "whoever" is going to actually solve problems rather than just continue with making things worse and / or kicking the can down the road.

So what are your solutions? Who do you think can turn things around and lead?

Fellows

post #283 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Enough with all of our recent leadership. They all have failed us. I said I thought Obama was one of the smartest people in DC. I can't prove this. ...

Since this thread has drifted hopelessly off topic Fellowship, I posted a response here.
A is A
A is A
post #284 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

I hope you can accept my apologies. I am not all that familiar with your more dated postings.

I too am familiar with Obama claiming he would rather make for a good one term president than being concerned with the second term. This is where I agree with YOU that he is kind of sucking as president. He by the looks of this latest budget appears not to give a damn about the future of this country by my estimation.

Enough with all of our recent leadership. They all have failed us. I said I thought Obama was one of the smartest people in DC. I can't prove this. It is an assessment. But being politically "street smart" does not always equate to my respecting their leadership. This was true with Bush for me and it is also turning out to be quite true with Obama as well with me.

I would always opt for "whoever" is going to actually solve problems rather than just continue with making things worse and / or kicking the can down the road.

Fellows

There are no one really decent to run in 2012 in the GOP. they are a bunch of hypocrites and liars especially Huckabee and Barber.The problem with Obama is he has no pure guts on his decisions he makes. He always cowers to the Republicans all the time which turns me off.
post #285 of 289
With Mubarak out of the way, maybe Egypt could take some hints from another African nation:
  • Per-capita GDP of $13,700 vs. $6,200
  • Government debt 60% of GDP vs. 80%
  • Unemployment rate of 7.5% vs. 9.7%
  • Inflation rate of 2.9% vs. 12.8%
  • Below the poverty line: 8% vs. 20%
  • Investment rate of 23.8% of GDP vs. 18.4%

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #286 of 289
never mind
A is A
A is A
post #287 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

With Mubarak out of the way, maybe Egypt could take some hints from ...

That won't help them - Egypt has way too many people, not enough food, and dwindling oil. They live in a barren wasteland for the most part, maybe after 80-90% of the population leaves the country or starves to death you could do something like that.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #288 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

That won't help them - Egypt has way too many people, not enough food, and dwindling oil. They live in a barren wasteland for the most part, maybe after 80-90% of the population leaves the country or starves to death you could do something like that.

Wasn't it a 'barren wasteland' when the Egyptian empire ruled the planet?

I've never been over myself, but I think Egypt still has cards to play.
It's a younger population, with a history of enterprising commerce, and it's still a gateway between Africa and the world.

The uncertainty over there must be killing the tourist industry though, and no-one going to invest real money in a place with such sectarian strife.
But if they can work out some kind of even temporary peace, prosperity can still come to them.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #289 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Wasn't it a 'barren wasteland' when the Egyptian empire ruled the planet?

Egyptian population 2011: 82 million
High point of Egyptian civilization, dynasty VI - Egyptian population 2300BC: roughly 2 million

Farmland now: about the same, I think - the Sahara grew a lot from 8000BC to 4000BC but by 2300BC it was pretty stable. Farming methods have increased per-acre production, but also made us more vulnerable to monoculture crop failure and massive starvation. Egypt imports 40% of its food, and its oil production (and ability to pay for food) is dropping off dramatically, good luck with no strife when the population is very hungry.

Interestingly, the Sahara has been getting increased rainfall for 20 years now, all those AI posters who thought that global warming would make things more arid were wrong. I was right: warmer = more rainfall, colder = less rainfall, except in the special case of a supercontinent. So we all need to buy Hummers so that we can warm the planet enough to prevent a famine in Egypt
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Egypt goes dark