or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon offering 3 a.m. Eastern Feb. 3 iPhone preorder to all existing customers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon offering 3 a.m. Eastern Feb. 3 iPhone preorder to all existing customers

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
With less than a week to go before preorders for Apple's iPhone 4 on Verizon commence, the carrier has launched a new teaser countdown page for existing customers, telling them to come back at 3 a.m. Eastern on Feb. 3.

Though Verizon sent out emails to business customers earlier this week notifying them of the 3 a.m. start, the new page is the first time that all existing customers were informed of the time. Verizon customers will, of course, still need to check with the carrier to verify that they are eligible for an iPhone upgrade.

Verizon's iPhone frequently asked questions page still states that preorders will begin "on or around February 3rd 2011" and will be sold on a "first come, first serve" basis.

While a 3 a.m. Eastern time may seem an odd time for Verizon to begin taking iPhone 4 preorders, it's the earliest time where all contiguous states will have reached Feb. 3.

The 16GB iPhone 4 model will cost $199, while the 32GB model will cost $299, each with a 2-year contract. A leak on the Apple website Wednesday revealed that Verizon's voice plans for the iPhone 4 will start at $39.99 per month, with unlimited data for $29.99, and the option of 2GB of data tethering for an additional $20. According to one Verizon executive, the company's unlimited data plan will only be available for a limited time before being phased out for a tiered pricing structure.



After years of speculation and rumors, Apple's successful smartphone officially goes on sale through Verizon on Feb. 10.

In preparation for the launch, Verizon has also begun carrying cases for the CDMA iPhone 4 on its website. Apple recently began offering a universal bumper case that fits both the GSM and CDMA models of the iPhone 4, since the new CDMA iPhone has a new antenna design that necessitated moving the mute switch slightly.

Verizon Chief Financial Officer Francis Shammo told investors Tuesday that the carrier has invested significant resources into the long-awaited launch of the iPhone. "We are not going to have any flaws on the execution of the iPhone launch," he said.
post #2 of 61
Any predictions on the number of pre-order sales, how fast they’ll sell out*, and if they will experience any AT&Troubles with their pre-order system?


* I can’t imagine they won’t sell out, but I am still reading several people swearing up and down that no one will buy an iPhone 4 halfway through the standard release cycle despite excessive evidence to the contrary.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 61
Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.
post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any predictions on the number of pre-order sales, how fast theyll sell out*, and if they will experience any AT&Troubles with their pre-order system?


* I cant imagine they wont sell out, but I am still reading several people swearing up and down that no one will buy an iPhone 4 halfway through the standard release cycle despite excessive evidence to the contrary.

I'll bet at least 1.5 million (through Feb 10 - not just Feb 3). Same as AT&T last summer. I'll be one of them.
post #5 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.

Wonder how long before we have "Dueling Banjos" speed comparisons between iPhone 4's from the two carriers - side-by-side at the same spot....wait - we are right next to a (ATT or Verizon) cellphone tower, so the competitor's phone looks much slower, and we get youTube videos ad nauseum with these comparisons, until the lame Consumer Reports gets to put their drivel in the news again. (I can hear it now - "We can't recommend EITHER phone, even though both are the best of breed, because of blah, blah, blah.") \
post #6 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I'll bet at least 1.5 million (through Feb 10 - not just Feb 3). Same as AT&T last summer. I'll be one of them.

Last year AT&T and Apple for AT&T took 600k pre-orders. On the opening weekend, Thursday through Sunday, they sold 1.7M units, but that number includes 5 countries, which I think includes several more carriers for those 4 non-US countries.

I think Verizon can easily do 600k pre-orders. Getting 1.7M sales open weekend, Thursday, Feb 10th through Sunday, Feb 13th, seems too far to reach. I have doubts they’ll have more than 1M units on hand for Verizon’s opening weekend.

If they beat AT&T’s opening for the iPhone 4 I’ll laugh at the naysayers. If they beat all iPhone 4 opening sales for 5 countries and all associated carriers I don’t know what I’ll do… maybe buy more stock.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Last year AT&T and Apple for AT&T took 600k pre-orders. On the opening weekend, Thursday through Sunday, they sold 1.7M units, but that number includes 5 countries, which I think includes several more carriers for those 4 non-US countries.

I think Verizon can easily do 600k pre-orders. Getting 1.7M sales open weekend, Thursday, Feb 10th through Sunday, Feb 13th, seems too far to reach. I have doubts theyll have more than 1M units on hand for Verizons opening weekend.

If they beat AT&Ts opening for the iPhone 4 Ill laugh at the naysayers. If they beat all iPhone 4 opening sales for 5 countries and all associated carriers I dont know what Ill do maybe buy more stock.

You should probably buy more stock anyway. If you can afford it when the price keeps rising.
post #8 of 61
At least a million probably more, considering that Foxconn will be working through the lunar New Year. Anticipate long lines and high demand.
post #9 of 61
Of course if you want to actually see the countdown, you'll need a device capable of running Adobe Flash.
post #10 of 61
My upgrade isn't until April 1st should I just wait 2 months for the newer iPhone? And this is assuming it will come out for both carriers, or all...
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

My upgrade isn't until April 1st should I just wait 2 months for the newer iPhone? And this is assuming it will come out for both carriers, or all...

Yes it will come out for the two carriers at the same time.
Apple is good with their execution, and that's the right thing to do.
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.

The only time people worry about early termination fees is when they get laid off. I know they're just covering for the subsidized phone, but really... I could see this if I had a Droid or iPhone. Why do I get whacked if I have what is called a 'feature phone'?
post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

The only time people worry about early termination fees is when they get laid off. I know they're just covering for the subsidized phone, but really... I could see this if I had a Droid or iPhone. Why do I get whacked if I have what is called a 'feature phone'?

Verizon has a trade-in program that will likely cover pretty much everyone’s ETF for undamaged.

http://www.trade-in.vzw.com/ edit: Probably can make more selling it on eBay or Craig’s List, but the trade-in is always an option for those desperate to switch but don’t want the hassle of selling.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSeattle View Post

Of course if you want to actually see the countdown, you'll need a device capable of running Adobe Flash.

I'm not that 'tech' minded, but did we really need flash to see apple's app store countdown?
post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Verizon has a trade-in program that will likely cover pretty much everyones ETF, expect maybe 3GS phones that were bought after the iPhone 4 was announced, but I cant people who would get an old model iPhone wanting to get get the iPhone 4 immediately now and pay a hefty ETF to do it. Its just not a consistent pattern to be a common maneuver.
http://www.trade-in.vzw.com/

I love Solipsism, but I don't know what that means... I would be starting a 'new' contract, whether it's with AT&T or Verizon.
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I'm not that 'tech' minded, but did we really need flash to see apple's app store countdown?

Hes referring to Verizons counter. It uses Adobe Flash. Apples countdown timers are all done in modern webcode.

I didnt check out the most recent clock for 10B App Store purchases, but the previous counter for 1B apps less than a year ago is described and shown here.
http://cnanney.com/journal/code/apple-style-counter/ This next link is the filnstrip PNG Apple used for the counter. Its basically a single image used for each digit and 5 other images between showing a transition between each number. They run this image from top to bottom, staying on an area for a set amount of time based on the vertical pixel position and the window for the visual part of the image to be shown.
http://d1bokfw8ixuryt.cloudfront.net.../filmstrip.png (large image) Google also uses this for their clever animations in their google.com logo for notable days.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 61
There are alot of people out there walking the Earth (in this country) who aren't under any contract. They're on ATT, sprint, Tmobile or Verizon and they want iPhones. Many Verizon customers get a cheap non-contract or short-contract Android phone just waiting and biding their time for this release.

Hell I was contractless for a while after my 2 years were up with the original iPhone. I waited for a significant upgrade which turned out to be an iPhone 4. I really don't know why everyone assumes that just because you have a cell phone you also have some kind of draconian contract. I'm sure many don't and will jump ship at the right time for the right product... ie, this one.
post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.

My contract ends in July - I would not buy iPhone4 anyway - waiting for iPhone5. The signal is great in my area, never had significant problems so I'll stay with ATT later on as well.
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
post #19 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I'm not that 'tech' minded, but did we really need flash to see apple's app store countdown?

We're not talking about Apple's countdowns, and no, Apple does NOT use Flash for them.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #20 of 61
I'll be going back to Verizon, of for no other reason then coverage. My Sprint service, well it comes close to Sucking here (in Maine). I was a nice Dad, and did it because my son wanted a - hell I don't even know what phone he got, HGC 4 or some damn thing.

In any case, we (all 6 of us, get poor reception, but he's got his damn ).

I travel a fiar amount, my son-in-law is a tanker driver, who drives New England (and some way the f%$#k, out of the way places in NH, and VT, and he doesn't get service in 40% of his driving area. So when the time comes (although Sprit says they are adding towers to Maine), we'll be switching back, unless of course they in-fact do add more towers and reception is no longer an issue.

Skip

PS. We'll likely end up with 4 maybe 5 iPhones if we switch.
post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.

Well, the ETF isn't a bad deal. I always hear the common gripe about signing 2-year contracts, but they are far the best deal. I shake my head when I see someone paying full retail price to avoid a contract. The point is-- no matter what, one has to pay for monthly service regardless whether contract or no commitment (month to month).

AT&T iPhone = $600 no contract /$200 contact. EFT= $325 & decreases $10 each month in contract. So, after 12 months, ETF is $205. Total cost to cancel after a year would be $405, almost $200 cheaper than without a contract.

Similarly, Verizon iPhone= $650 / $200 2yr / $350 ETF.

And the deal can even get better.... AT&T offers me a upgrade after 1 year in conjunction with resigning another 2yr. Thus, I have been able to get new iPhone every year, as I have had all 4. I know friends that have sold their 1 year old iPhones for $300, buying new for $200, netting $100 extra. Without a contract, the last 3 iPhones would have cost $1800 total, whereby a 2-year contract $600 total. I guess the bottom line is that you have to pay for monthly service no matter what for the phone to be of any use, and a two agreement offers significant discounts. If one has a change of heart, the most it will cost is 325, least 85, and considering the resale value of the iPhone, it may actually not result in any monetary loss to switch providers.
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicipad View Post

...be a 4G device (probably HSPA+ on AT&T and LTE on Verizon...

So how will it make calls on Verizon? LTE is data only.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Well, the ETF isn't a bad deal. I always hear the common gripe about signing 2-year contracts, but they are far the best deal. I shake my head when I see someone paying full retail price to avoid a contract. The point is-- no matter what, one has to pay for monthly service regardless whether contract or no commitment (month to month).

AT&T iPhone = $600 no contract /$200 contact. EFT= $325 & decreases $10 each month in contract. So, after 12 months, ETF is $205. Total cost to cancel after a year would be $405, almost $200 cheaper than without a contract.

Similarly, Verizon iPhone= $650 / $200 2yr / $350 ETF.

And the deal can even get better.... AT&T offers me a upgrade after 1 year in conjunction with resigning another 2yr. Thus, I have been able to get new iPhone every year, as I have had all 4. I know friends that have sold their 1 year old iPhones for $300, buying new for $200, netting $100 extra. Without a contract, the last 3 iPhones would have cost $1800 total, whereby a 2-year contract $600 total. I guess the bottom line is that you have to pay for monthly service no matter what for the phone to be of any use, and a two agreement offers significant discounts. If one has a change of heart, the most it will cost is 325, least 85, and considering the resale value of the iPhone, it may actually not result in any monetary loss to switch providers.



Funny how AT&T's smartphone ETF is called insanely high yet V's is higher.
post #24 of 61
Like many others, I have been waiting for years for this. But I have some questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. I know the i4 will run on the Verizon 3G network, but will the upcoming i5 run on the 4G? That would be worth waiting for, would it not?

2. If I get an i4 now, when the i5 comes out, can I get one of those for someone who is on my Verizon family plan and is eligible for a new phone, and then trade phones with them, and get Verizon to swap phone numbers?

The Verizon i4 timing is a little weird; seems like it would have made more sense for the Apple and V to wait until the i5 was ready.
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZorro View Post

Like many others, I have been waiting for years for this. But I have some questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. I know the i4 will run on the Verizon 3G network, but will the upcoming i5 run on the 4G? That would be worth waiting for, would it not?

2. If I get an i4 now, when the i5 comes out, can I get one of those for someone who is on my Verizon family plan and is eligible for a new phone, and then trade phones with them, and get Verizon to swap phone numbers?

The Verizon i4 timing is a little weird; seems like it would have made more sense for the Apple and V to wait until the i5 was ready.

Welcome to the forum. I dont expect an iPhone with LTE to arrive until at least Summer 2012.

I dont there was a single smartphone sporting LTE that was even close to the iPhones size. Companies either tried to impress with a huge phone sporting LTE or a super-small phone besting the iPhone 4 as the worlds smallest/thinnest. I didnt see any that tried to do both.

They we have to consider Apples desire for a good battery and LTE being less built out this year than AT&Ts 3G when Apple introduced the original iPhone with no 3G.

Then there is the timing. The reason is so Apple can capitalize on sales of this new product (from and engineering PoV). This post-holiday release is exactly what was expected for a Verizon iPhone. They need to slowly build up supply, while trying to keep a handle on demand. They just cant do that when trying to release an iPhone 5 GSM for the world while also trying to accommodate all of Verizons consumer interest. It would be a nightmare in more ways than one which makes me wonder if the Verizon iPhone 5 will be released along with the AT&T iPhone 5 for this first year.

Also note that demand for the iPhone doesnt sharply drop off after its release. In fact, for the iPhone 3GS the demand increased in later quarters. I fully expect the Verizon iPhone to sell more than AT&Ts customers bought last Summer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any predictions on the number of pre-order sales, how fast theyll sell out*, and if they will experience any AT&Troubles with their pre-order system?


* I cant imagine they wont sell out, but I am still reading several people swearing up and down that no one will buy an iPhone 4 halfway through the standard release cycle despite excessive evidence to the contrary.

1. A server meltdown is most likely to happen.
2. They will reach the limit of their preorders in one day or two.

Mah predikshions
post #27 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

1. A server meltdown is most likely to happen.
2. They will reach the limit of their preorders in one day or two.

Mah predikshions

1) I predict a slowdown, but I dont expect pre-orders to be out of service the way AT&Ts pre-order service was last year. My reasoning: Verizon is in a position that it has to maintain a feeling of reliability even if that means paying way too much money for a temporary rush of new customers come February 3rd at 3AM EDT.

2) I think they will reach their pre-order limit before 9am EDT. A whole 6 hours.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSeattle View Post

Of course if you want to actually see the countdown, you'll need a device capable of running Adobe Flash.

ROFLing here
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I'm not that 'tech' minded, but did we really need flash to see apple's app store countdown?

Of course not All animations and videos on Apple.com have been Flash-free for at least a few years now.
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I predict a slowdown, but I dont expect pre-orders to be out of service the way AT&Ts pre-order service was last year. My reasoning: Verizon is in a position that it has to maintain a feeling of reliability even if that means paying way too much money for a temporary rush of new customers come February 3rd at 3AM EDT.

2) I think they will reach their pre-order limit before 9am EDT. A whole 6 hours.

I think AT&T screwed up every launch since the first gen iPhone. As far as selling your iPhone to cover ETF, this website was paying $410 for a like new iPhone 4.

http://www.gazelle.com/
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I predict a slowdown, but I don’t expect pre-orders to be out of service the way AT&T’s pre-order service was last year. My reasoning: Verizon is in a position that it has to maintain a feeling of “reliability” even if that means paying way too much money for a temporary rush of new customers come February 3rd at 3AM EDT.

2) I think they will reach their pre-order limit before 9am EDT. A whole 6 hours.

Yeah, come to think of it, forget what I said about two days. I'd give it at least 12 hours though. Because of server issues muah ah ah aha ha... (yeah, I'm evil. We should spare a thought for the poor system admins that have to sit through this. They're probably dreading the whole event. Plus they have to work through the night).

I know Verizon is trying to spread the load by starting in the wee hours of the morning but that's a hell of a lot of resources to be put into doing things through the night, essentially, and the whole day.

Well, best of luck to everyone.
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

I think AT&T screwed up every launch since the first gen iPhone. As far as selling your iPhone to cover ETF, this website was paying $410 for a like new iPhone 4.

http://www.gazelle.com/

Ooh, thats $50 more than Verizons highest value.

I dont know if we can say AT&T screwed it up just yet. We can certainly say they were overwhelmed with each new iPhone release, but to say they screwed it up might be like saying Indonesia screwed up in 2006 by not planning for a tsunami of that magnitude. Sometimes, there is never enough you can feasibly do to prepare yourself.

Well likely see February 3rd and 10th if Verizon will have any issues. If they do, despite their assurances then perhaps we can see that such rushes are not easily avoided. If they do meet or exceed AT&Ts volume without incident then, and only then, will be I feel we can reasonable say AT&T screwed up.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ooh, thats $50 more than Verizons highest value.

I dont know if we can say AT&T screwed it up just yet. We can certainly say they were overwhelmed with each new iPhone release, but to say they screwed it up might be like saying Indonesia screwed up in 2006 by not planning for a tsunami of that magnitude. Sometimes, there is never enough you can feasibly do to prepare yourself.

Well likely see February 3rd and 10th if Verizon will have any issues. If they do, despite their assurances then perhaps we can see that such rushes are not easily avoided. If they do meet or exceed AT&Ts volume without incident then, and only then, will be I feel we can reasonable say AT&T screwed up.

You may be right. It would be kind of funny if Verizon's systems crash with all of the demand........ well, it will be funny AFTER I get my order in.
post #34 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah, come to think of it, forget what I said about two days. I'd give it at least 12 hours though. Because of server issues muah ah ah aha ha... (yeah, I'm evil. We should spare a thought for the poor system admins that have to sit through this. They're probably dreading the whole event. Plus they have to work through the night).

I know Verizon is trying to spread the load by starting in the wee hours of the morning but that's a hell of a lot of resources to be put into doing things through the night, essentially, and the whole day.

Well, best of luck to everyone.

Didnt AT&T also start their pre-orders in the middle of the night last year, yet still had trouble only a few minutes in causing them to not sell out until the following day do these transaction server issues? Thats how I remember it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 61
The reason why it they are doing it at 2am my time is because they are scared of the traffic that could happen at 10am.
post #36 of 61
I might go for a Verizon iPhone 6. I think their voice quality is a lot better than AT&T. I am not like some others here that hate AT&T, I just don't like it when people say "What did you say I couldn't hear you?" I don't really get any dropped calls just poor voice quality. I think I can give up some data speed and simultaneous V & D for better voice quality.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont know if we can say AT&T screwed it up just yet. We can certainly say they were overwhelmed with each new iPhone release, but to say they screwed it up might be like saying Indonesia screwed up in 2006 by not planning for a tsunami of that magnitude. Sometimes, there is never enough you can feasibly do to prepare yourself.

Didn't we determine that AT&T was using some decades old servers to process the orders? I think it was Netscape Enterprise Server based on the error messages received when it went down. Hopefully Verizon is using something newer.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I predict a slowdown, but I dont expect pre-orders to be out of service the way AT&Ts pre-order service was last year. My reasoning: Verizon is in a position that it has to maintain a feeling of reliability even if that means paying way too much money for a temporary rush of new customers come February 3rd at 3AM EDT.

2) I think they will reach their pre-order limit before 9am EDT. A whole 6 hours.

What was the previous bid Bob....? 6 hours.
I'll bid...6 hours and one minute.
Wish me luck in the showcase showdown.
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

What was the previous bid Bob....? 6 hours.
I'll bid...6 hours and one minute.
Wish me luck in the showcase showdown.

Might I lower the bid by a WHOLE 2 hours, instead of penny pinching, to 4 hours? LOL
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

..* I cant imagine they wont sell out, but I am still reading several people swearing up and down that no one will buy an iPhone 4 halfway through the standard release cycle despite excessive evidence to the contrary.

Those same folks not wanting one in the middle of the cycle are those same folks that would never buy anything unless it came with a matte-screen, blu-ray, 10TB ram, coffee-making machine.

Millions of people will still be buying iPhones regardless. Now, they have Verizon to include into that mix. The more tech-affluent folks may not buy one since they read all the news, but the joe-consumer will not care.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Verizon offering 3 a.m. Eastern Feb. 3 iPhone preorder to all existing customers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon offering 3 a.m. Eastern Feb. 3 iPhone preorder to all existing customers