or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google overtakes Nokia as maker of top smartphone platform
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google overtakes Nokia as maker of top smartphone platform

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
After passing Apple's iPhone on its way up, Google's Android has now passed up Nokia's Symbian to take the top spot among smartphone platforms, ending Nokia's 10 year reign on top of the global smartphone industry, according to one research firm.

Research firm Canalys revealed Monday that the 32.9 million handsets running a Google platform, which includes Android, OMS and Tapas, sold last quarter were enough to topple Nokia's Symbian, which had sales of 31 million, from the number one place, Reuters reports.

Google saw 615 percent growth year over year, compared to Nokia's 30 percent growth. Apple came in third with 16.2 million iPhones sold, giving it 16 percent of the global smartphone market. Research in Motion and Microsoft rounded out the list with 14 percent and 3 percent of the market respectively.

Though Nokia still maintains a sizable lead as the largest handset maker in the world, it has lost significant ground in the smartphone market in recent years. Former CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo admitted last year that the Finnish handset maker had failed to make a splash in the U.S. smartphone market.

In September, Nokia went through a major management shakeup. The company first announced it would change CEOs, bringing in Microsoft executive Stephen Elop, in hopes of reenergizing the company's smartphone offerings. The company's smartphone chief announced his resignation several days later, then Nokia Chairman Jorma Ollila declared his intention to step down.

Nokia's flagship N8 smartphone saw numerous delays on its way to market. The company even went through a lost prototype debacle similar to the leak of an Apple iPhone 4 prototype that made headlines last year. Though sales of the N8 reportedly reached around 4 million units in the fourth quarter of 2010, the figures have been viewed as too little too late for Nokia.



Google's Android has seen its fair share of controversy on the way to the top. Reports emerged last year that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs felt betrayed by Google after the search giant followed his company into the smartphone business.

"We did not enter the search business. They entered the phone business," Jobs allegedly said during a company meeting. "Make no mistake; Google wants to kill the iPhone. We won't let them."

While Apple has yet to pursue direct legal action against Google, the iPhone maker has filed infringement complaints against several prominent Android handset manufacturers. The Cupertino, Calif., company sued HTC in March of last year over alleged infringement of patents related to the iPhone user interface, architecture and hardware. HTC responded with a countersuit.

Apple and Motorola are also locked in a legal dispute. In October, Motorola accused Apple of violating a number of its patents, citing the company's "late entry into the telecommunications market." Apple responded in kind, eventually adding to the suit the same patents it was accusing HTC of violating after Motorola attempted to have them invalidated.

Quarterly sales of Android passed up the iPhone in May of last year. Earlier this month, research firm comScore reported that total subscribers of Google Android in the U.S. have passed the iPhone.

In the third quarter of 2010, Apple broke into the top 5 global cell phone makers, passing RIM to place fourth. According to IDC data released last week, Apple slipped to fifth in the fourth quarter.
post #2 of 57
I see no real difference between the two, aside from one being able to evolve a little faster than the other.

Both give User Experience a back seat.
post #3 of 57
DIDN'T GARTNER SAY
ANDROID WILL OVERTAKE SYMBIAN
BY THE END OF 2014?
IT SEEMS IT HAPPENED A BIT EARLIER...
LIKE.. END OF 2010!!

WELL DONE GOOGLE!!

Now what's next?
February the 11th
Nokia embraces Android!!

(meanwhile microsoft cries outloud
cause their windows phone 7
with windows1.0 graphics
and 7000 apps failed to impress
despite $ GIGA $ marketing campaigns)

ff
post #4 of 57
Yawn.

Wake me up when someone -- other than carriers -- is actually making money off of this thing.
post #5 of 57
Why did Google ever choose Android to market a os system?
It rhymes with a physical problem I have.
post #6 of 57
Am I the only one here who thinks they're making too much of a big deal on marketshare than it really is? Nokia and Microsoft has always dominated it in smartphones and PC but that hasn't stopped Apple from growing. Apple is making more and more money and more and more devices despite lower or shrinking marketshare. Apple is making more money on one phone model alone than most Android manufacturers made as a company. OSX is a $20B+ annual business and growing. I don't know. I think if Apple really cared so much about marketshare they would've licensed iOS and OSX to others.
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yawn.

Wake me up when someone -- other than carriers -- is actually making money off of this thing.

Don't forget the OEMs. Last I read, they're all posting profits in regards to the use of Android in their devices.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #8 of 57
It seems Google is the new Microsoft. Just imagine now if there was a $50 license fee for Android. Or Google - in the future - decide to announce that? That's over $1.5B extra profit in the quarter, and growing. Before tax of course. I know Apple are cleaning up. I just wish they would catch up a bit on unit sales versus Android. If Apple lowered the price of their phone a touch they might make a bit of ground, but that could backfire on them. They lower it eventually, anyway, though.

The one thing Apple has going for them in terms of future-proofing the iPhone is the console methodology of it, which seems to work. It didn't work for PC's, but it seems to work for iPhones and iPods, and perhaps iPads.

I just hope a day doesn't come where the sheer number or Android phones out there stops some developer from making an iPhone app we all need. It probably is worth point out though, that the Mac never sold in numbers anything like the iPhone. So we probably should be Ok there.

Both platforms can co-exist. But is Microsoft going to join them at the top?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 57
This is completely expected news. Android will pause the surge a bit in this quarter due to the iPhone being carried by Verizon this February, but this is a global phenomenon, and as such, it seems unstoppable. The iPhone will win the top tier 400-600 dollar phone competition, and android will sweep the whole rest, just like what happens in the laptop business (with microsoft there for the masses).

With 80 bucks phones, android will have 70-80% market share in no time.

Fortunately, we won't have the same shenanigans we had in the nineties with MS, since android is a lot more open than windows, despite its shortcomings, and Google won't be able to monopolize the market, since there won't be interoperability issues, like there was in the 90s between windows and macs.

I think this is a good situation for almost everyone. Everyone will have a smartphone, the richer people will buy iPhones, the masses will buy android (the smartphone for the rest of us?! Ironic marketing piece, but possible!), everyone will have advanced internet access, e-reader devices, gamecenters, apps, etc.,etc.,etc.

Win win?
post #10 of 57
I don't understand how any American can support Google when they are helping asian companies rip off the IP of innovative American companies. Android does nothing to help the american economy.

Android wins, America loses IMHO.
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley__ View Post

I don't understand how any American can support Google when they are helping asian companies rip off the IP of innovative American companies. Android does nothing to help the american economy.

Android wins, America loses IMHO.

The vast majority of electronics are manufactured in the Asian countries. Using your line of logic, you might as well stop buying any and all electronics then.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #12 of 57
deleted
post #13 of 57
deleted
post #14 of 57
IP theft is already part of Oracle vs Google. Apple hasn't sued Google yet for IP theft instead choosing to sue their partners.

I do know where the iPhone and other electronics are made, but Apple makes the bulk of the money from iPhones and contributes to American exports, Google contributes nothing to American exports.
post #15 of 57
It's just bad news all the time for Nokia. I don't think their fortunes are entirely irreversible at this point, but I seriously doubt they'll ever be able to turn it around. Bad management top to bottom.
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

This is completely expected news. Android will pause the surge a bit in this quarter due to the iPhone being carried by Verizon this February, but this is a global phenomenon, and as such, it seems unstoppable. The iPhone will win the top tier 400-600 dollar phone competition, and android will sweep the whole rest, just like what happens in the laptop business (with microsoft there for the masses).

With 80 bucks phones, android will have 70-80% market share in no time.

While Android will most likely clean up the low end "feature phone" market, don't be too sure that iPhone is going to clean up the top end. There is no price difference between the high end Android phones and iPhone. And the high end Android phones have generally been better than the iPhone in hardware. People are going to decide based on OS/brand/features/value preference whether they will buy an Android or iPhone. No doubt most on this forum will choose iPhones. Many like me have decided to go with Android phones.
post #17 of 57
OMS (OPhones) and Tapas OS are based off Android, they are not "Android". There is a significant difference. Lumping those in with Android would be akin to lumping Android in with all mobile Linux systems. They are separate platforms.

They are not actually Google platforms as this report is stating, but are being included because they are based off a Google platform, which is pretty weak since Google doesn't control the direction those platforms head. OMS is actually owned by China Unicom and the other by some ex-Google employee. Both are Chinese though and meant only for the Chinese market.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #18 of 57
Wow, Nokia have really been blindsided over the last few years.

Whenever someone says "If it ain't broke don't fix it", I think of cases like this.

If it ain't broke, innovate !

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley__ View Post

IP theft is already part of Oracle vs Google. Apple hasn't sued Google yet for IP theft instead choosing to sue their partners.

I do know where the iPhone and other electronics are made, but Apple makes the bulk of the money from iPhones and contributes to American exports, Google contributes nothing to American exports.

You should really read more, Android has brought many innovations to the table that Apple used as well, including multi-tasking, folders, high-res displays, and many others. The original Droid was the first phone to use the gorilla glass used in the iPhone 4. Apple still has no answers to widgets, wifi-tethering (coming soon), or a secure way to use non-app store apps (little security for apps that aren't checked by apple). Plus the whole America argument is naive, both Google and apple are American companies and Apple has foxconn, a Taiwanese company, produce its iPhone in china. Even Motorola, another American company, produces its phones in Asia.

Quote:
While Android will most likely clean up the low end "feature phone" market, don't be too sure that iPhone is going to clean up the top end. There is no price difference between the high end Android phones and iPhone. And the high end Android phones have generally been better than the iPhone in hardware. People are going to decide based on OS/brand/features/value preference whether they will buy an Android or iPhone. No doubt most on this forum will choose iPhones. Many like me have decided to go with Android phones.

I do believe many people will choose high end android phones over the iPhone, however the past year has made it clear, people will buy the iPhone even if it has outdated hardware or missing features, so apple will always have higher profit margins. Just like with macs, the iPhone sells to people who don't need high end features but want to spend $200+ anyway. Cutting out features makes the user interface "simpler" and these users won't notice they're running year old hardware, in fact they get mad when new hardware comes out "too fast" as if they have to have the best. One of my iPhone using friends tell me that he doesn't like android because a new android phone would come out three months later making his phone "obsolete." There is a large group of people who actually think like this, and would rather not have new features if it meant their phone wouldn't be the top o' the line anymore. Its amazing.

iPhone will dominate casual users, Android will dominate everything else.
post #20 of 57
What else did anyone expect when you give your product away...

Just just proves people are whores for free stuff. People will take a few phone or highly subsidizes phone and share their personal information and and be blaster with ads just so they do not have to pay for the phone
post #21 of 57
Nokia was too lazy to innovate and invent so now nokia pays the price !!
post #22 of 57
deleted
post #23 of 57
DED should be forced to write this blog post. His spin on how this is good for Apple would be worth the laughs.
post #24 of 57
Wake me up when:
1. developers stop developing for the iphone and develop exclusively for android.

or

2. iphone sales start to stall.
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

You should really read more, Android has brought many innovations to the table that Apple used as well, including multi-tasking, folders, high-res displays, and many others. The original Droid was the first phone to use the gorilla glass used in the iPhone 4. Apple still has no answers to widgets, wifi-tethering (coming soon), or a secure way to use non-app store apps (little security for apps that aren't checked by apple). Plus the whole America argument is naive, both Google and apple are American companies and Apple has foxconn, a Taiwanese company, produce its iPhone in china. Even Motorola, another American company, produces its phones in Asia.



I do believe many people will choose high end android phones over the iPhone, however the past year has made it clear, people will buy the iPhone even if it has outdated hardware or missing features, so apple will always have higher profit margins. Just like with macs, the iPhone sells to people who don't need high end features but want to spend $200+ anyway. Cutting out features makes the user interface "simpler" and these users won't notice they're running year old hardware, in fact they get mad when new hardware comes out "too fast" as if they have to have the best. One of my iPhone using friends tell me that he doesn't like android because a new android phone would come out three months later making his phone "obsolete." There is a large group of people who actually think like this, and would rather not have new features if it meant their phone wouldn't be the top o' the line anymore. Its amazing.

iPhone will dominate casual users, Android will dominate everything else.

The iPhone doesn't always have the greatest hardware because it is on a yearly release cycle and there is always new tech released during that cycle. This is true for every manufacture that keeps a regular product release cycle -- it is not endemic to Apple only. As long as the phone continue to works fine and is regularly updated (oops, too bad for the Android phone) people don't much care when they're already tied to a contract.

Then there's also the problem of being able to manufacture the components fast enough. The iPhone is the best selling model in the world and has been since it was released. Apple has to make sure it can get the components it needs to build them. Attempting to use the newest thing extremely limits that ability.

Furthermore, if the OS isn't utilizing the hardware as best it can, then hardware specifications really don't mean much. Android is horrible at this compared to iOS, just look at how much more fluid and reactive the iOS interface is to Android, and that even when the iOS is running on a slower CPU and with less memory.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

You should really read more, Android has brought many innovations to the table that Apple used as well, including multi-tasking, folders, high-res displays, and many others.

Thats not innovation, thats progression. Youll have to make an argument that Apple had no idea how to implement nor planned to implement these things. For example, Apple didnt innovate the multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, but they were the first to use it widely in a shipping product that made it the only way for others to move forward.

Now, you can innovate methods for implementing these common and longstanding concepts, hence the patents we see from all CE companies, but simply being first to introduce some characteristic of a feature doesnt make it innovative. Apple wasnt first with copy/paste yet they are still the only one who does it right.

Quote:
The original Droid was the first phone to use the gorilla glass used in the iPhone 4.

Now youve moved into HW, not Android. On top of that Cornings Gorilla Glass is a corning innovation, not a Motorola or Verizon innovation.

Quote:
Apple still has no answers to widgets, wifi-tethering (coming soon), or a secure way to use non-app store apps (little security for apps that aren't checked by apple).

So your argument is that to be successful you have to add as feature to a spec sheet as possible regardless of how well they work?

This graph illustrates the problem with simply having a feature in name but no regard how well that feature actually works.

Quote:
iPhone will dominate casual users, Android will dominate everything else.

Dominate can mean many things. Apple dominates smartphone mindshare. We know this because all other devices are compared to it, even when its nearly a year old. You never hear about Samsung Nexus S-killers, do you?

Apple dominates revenue and profits. Same for Macs. Just like with Macs they will not have the largest number of unit shares by OS, but that was never their objective, profit is, otherwise they would have given their OSes away long ago to better compete at that level.

Android will take the lions share of smartphone OSes, and likely the entire handset OS market several years from now. Who says that Symbian is dominate force in the handset market (outside of Symbian) simply because its a free, open source mobile OS for the masses of dumb phones.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

... iPhone will dominate casual users, Android will dominate everything else.

That's pretty funny. The demographics who buy Android are:

* People on carriers that don't have the iPhone.
* People who get fast talked into buying Android instead of iPhone because it benefits the carrier when they do so.
* Apple hating psuedo geeks who (erroneously) believe that Android is open.
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's pretty funny. The demographics who buy Android are:

* People on carriers that don't have the iPhone.
* People who get fast talked into buying Android instead of iPhone because it benefits the carrier when they do so.
* Apple hating psuedo geeks who (erroneously) believe that Android is open.

You forgot one....

People who prefer Android because you can do more with it...

For example you can USB tether without having to root (jailbreak) the phone for free.....

Flash might not be great, but it is nice to use it when the various web sites do not support alternative formats ( like almost every auto site ). I am a car junky...
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's pretty funny. The demographics who buy Android are:

* People on carriers that don't have the iPhone.
* People who get fast talked into buying Android instead of iPhone because it benefits the carrier when they do so.
* Apple hating psuedo geeks who (erroneously) believe that Android is open.

"casual users" --um...that about describes 99% of the market. Those Apple hating pseudo geeks actually believe that they comp[rise the majority of the market, they are indeed the "rest"...the 1% who care about rooting their phones, custom ROMs, and a bunch other bullshit 99% of smartphone users don't want to waste their time on.

I have an original Droid...I think Android is fine. It has some things better than the iPhone, but there is no question which OS is far more of a pleasure to use. That's why I am switching to the iPhone on VZ, and I suspect a huge number of people will do the same. We had no choice, now we do.
post #30 of 57
I would like clarification on what is meant by the term platform. I have more hardware centric interests than software and so might be displaying unreasonable bias in this question, however, I have never understood the term platform to refer to only the operating system of some computing device. Resorting to at least an accessible arbiter, Wikipedia, the term platform can be defined as:

A computing platform is some sort of hardware architecture and software framework (including application frameworks) that allows software to run. Typical platforms include a computer's architecture, operating system, programming languages and related user interface (runtime libraries or graphical user interface).

If this is a reasonable definition of the term, then Google is not the predominant platform vendor. Is it in a practical sense, even a platform vendor at all?

Further, if this definition is acceptable, should Apple, which produces both the hardware and software of their platform, be regarded as the top smartphone platform by a wide margin, given this heading, if it is true:

With just 4.2 percent of the global mobile phone market, Apple's iPhone accounts for a massive 51 percent of the total profits, a new report claims.

If the term platform has been unduly and incorrectly subverted to refer only to software, perhaps one could employ any definition that suits a desired journalistic or propaganda outcome. \
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #31 of 57
650% YoY growth. I wonder where Android will be in another 12 months.
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

You forgot one....

People who prefer Android because you can do more with it...

For example you can USB tether without having to root (jailbreak) the phone for free.....

Flash might not be great, but it is nice to use it when the various web sites do not support alternative formats ( like almost every auto site ). I am a car junky...

I think you just proved my point.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

You forgot one....

People who prefer Android because you can do more with it...

For example you can USB tether without having to root (jailbreak) the phone for free.....

Wait, isn't that a carrier decision?
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley__ View Post

I don't understand how any American can support Google when they are helping Asian companies rip off the IP of innovative American companies. Android does nothing to help the American economy.

Android wins, America loses IMHO.

Supported.

In the rabid partisanship of the "fanboy" wars and the "anti-Apple is pro Android" fervour, no one seems to have noticed that the top cellular device vendor that sneaked into the top position a few days ago is ZTE, a maker of what are known as "white label" handsets.

As suspected and is now being confirmed, those 300,000 daily Android activations that Andy Rubin was crowing about recently are mainly in Asia, where the "bottom feeder" manufacturers have latched on to the free OS to their great benefit. "Other" is now listed as the top Android vendor by market share.

In its undignified and treacherous haste to secure for itself a future in the mobile market, a future that was already guaranteed ages ago, Google is unwittingly sowing the seeds of the destruction of one of its own country's greatest assets.

The race to the bottom has begun.

Peasants, start your engines...
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post


In its undignified and treacherous haste to secure for itself a future in the mobile market, a future that was already guaranteed ages ago, Google is unwittingly sowing the seeds of the destruction of one of its own country's greatest assets.

The race to the bottom has begun.

Peasants, start your engines...

Asia and America. Android is at 50% in the US, higher than its worldwide %. I dont see the Asia figures broken out.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffinder View Post

DIDN'T GARTNER SAY
ANDROID WILL OVERTAKE SYMBIAN
BY THE END OF 2014?
IT SEEMS IT HAPPENED A BIT EARLIER...
LIKE.. END OF 2010!!

WELL DONE GOOGLE!!

Now what's next?
February the 11th
Nokia embraces Android!!

(meanwhile microsoft cries outloud
cause their windows phone 7
with windows1.0 graphics
and 7000 apps failed to impress
despite $ GIGA $ marketing campaigns)

ff

No really, you may be right, Nokia may be just desperate enough to get sucked in by Google's trojan horse.
post #37 of 57
So Apple sells phones with their own operating system for $625, and sells millions. Google gives away a shell operating system to handset makers for free for them to customize. They make their money on advertising. So you are bombarded with advertising all day long. Whoever coined the term android whores hit the nail on the head.

As far as Google 'innovations' are concerned, they have never developed anything. Everything the company has ever produced has been a copy of someone else's innovation.
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

You should really read more, Android has brought many innovations to the table that Apple used as well, including multi-tasking, folders, high-res displays, and many others. The original Droid was the first phone to use the gorilla glass used in the iPhone 4. Apple still has no answers to widgets, wifi-tethering (coming soon), or a secure way to use non-app store apps (little security for apps that aren't checked by apple). Plus the whole America argument is naive, both Google and apple are American companies and Apple has foxconn, a Taiwanese company, produce its iPhone in china. Even Motorola, another American company, produces its phones in Asia.

I do believe many people will choose high end android phones over the iPhone, however the past year has made it clear, people will buy the iPhone even if it has outdated hardware or missing features, so apple will always have higher profit margins. Just like with macs, the iPhone sells to people who don't need high end features but want to spend $200+ anyway. Cutting out features makes the user interface "simpler" and these users won't notice they're running year old hardware, in fact they get mad when new hardware comes out "too fast" as if they have to have the best. One of my iPhone using friends tell me that he doesn't like android because a new android phone would come out three months later making his phone "obsolete." There is a large group of people who actually think like this, and would rather not have new features if it meant their phone wouldn't be the top o' the line anymore. Its amazing.

iPhone will dominate casual users, Android will dominate everything else.

Ahhhhh, shoot son. You just missed the train entirely didn't you? OSX already had mulit-tasking implemented - but it was disabled for iOS until Apple could ascertain the impact to battery life and then implemented in a way that made sense. Instead of course of the standard Android version which sucked the living crap out of the battery if you were careless or ignorant. Nuf said about that. Gorilla glass is fine for toughness but the tempered otical glass in the first three iPhones was fine - so your point being? Oh wait yeah it's front AND back on the iPhone not just the screen side. Ahhhh don't seen your droid phones leading the charge on that front. Fine. Let's just sit back and let the market sort itself out. Android can own the entire low end of the market and will when all is said and done most likely, unless Google gets bored and decides it likes ChromeOS better and boots Android to the curb.

See, Google ain't your best friend by driving Android - it's a means to their end. When they get bored or find out ChromeOS does what they want better, Android will be history - a lingering brief shiny moment in "open" and Google's foot into mobile ad revenue. But fans of Android keep losing track of those rather harsh realities. I stopped supporting Android when Google bought them. Because I knew that Google was buying that sweet little simple OS to dress it up and put it out on the street corner to generate ad revenue for them. And all my open source/FOSS friends went all slack-jawed and rubber-legged when they did that. You apparently are of the same naive ilk as they and welcome to your admiration - and the harsh reality that will hit when Google decides the sweet young thing isn't pulling in enough revenue for them.
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Both Oracle and Google are US companies, and the case is far from proven.

So back on topic, where's the proof your allegation of international theft?


Google doesn't make phones, and Apple imports theirs from China. What was your point?

Who is talking about international theft? I was talking about IP. Obviously you have no idea what the hell IP even means.

Why do you love Google so much? It's a spyware company!
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

What else did anyone expect when you give your product away...

Just just proves people are whores for free stuff. People will take a few phone or highly subsidizes phone and share their personal information and and be blaster with ads just so they do not have to pay for the phone

This old canard again....from somebody who thinks that USA = the world. When will you ignorant yanks start to understand that a 'free' phone is not really free?

Can you please tell me where I can get an Android device for free WITHOUT a service contract. I'd like to know. I'd love a free phone.

And if you're going to talk about only on-contract pricing, well turns out you can get iPhones for free too:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/iPhone-finder


And for your line about ads, I've got one word for you: iAds.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google overtakes Nokia as maker of top smartphone platform