or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"

Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small" - Page 4

post #121 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Maybe we can arrange to have Lo and Adobe's Narayen collide and explode in a huge fireball. Because that would be awesome.

Don't forget to include Ballmer.

That would make it a sweaty fireball.
post #122 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Typical PC junk-makers. At least I have to give the guy credit to at least have some kind of decency to man-up and tell it like it is.

Yes, this certainly puts and end to the speculations that this was the case. BUT what about MS? I think they are just as full of it as Samsung with the WP7 release. I havent seen an actual phone on anybody (anybody actually using it???). Mark my words those MS wp7 phones are just on the shelves mostly...
post #123 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I won't say it...

Say what ?
That its a piece of S$%t !
post #124 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My Wife, my dog and I have 3 each...

Ha.
DaHarder will not like you for this.
post #125 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

BBC and EuroNews are the most anti Apple in Europe.

Agree, BBC are notorious Apple Haters.
But I don't know why ? My only theory is that M$ pays them to do so.
post #126 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

When I first saw 22% I thought 22% my ass. I should be seeing one Samsung in the wild for every 4 iPads but I ain't seeing it. I haven't even seen one Samsung, period.

Perfect observation.
However, believe it or not I saw someone with a 7 incher this morning.
Couldn't tell by the brand, but did not look like the galaxy tab.
I too, have seen heaps of iPads, but no other tablets, maybe the 22% are off hiding in some caves.
22% utter bullshit.
If this is crap, same goes with their phones and android phones in general.
I have been bleating about this for ages.
One knows how many Apple SOLD, but no one knows how many android phones were SOLD ?
So all this about market share, one can take with a grain of salt, unless its Apple.
post #127 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

ah, a gigantic feast of crow is being served on the internets today. preceeded by a first course of egg on the face. and topped off with a heaping bowl of claim chowder.

do you think all the bloggers, pundits, and "analysts" will finally learn the difference between "shipped" and "sold" once and for all this time??

NEVER !
When it comes to anything anti-Apple, the laws of physics are no longer valid.
post #128 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This is precisely what the phandroids refuse to acknowledge. They will praise all the high-end hardware, but always gloss over the horrible gui experience in the name of "openness".

This is why (imho) the OS is as important - if not more - than the hardware. Sticking a turbocharged V8 into a Volkswagon bug is not the same thing as that same motor in a Rolls Royce.

I'm a systems-engineer and been developing software for 20+ years. I find it absolutely shameful that people try to pass of badly written software in the name of some "higher calling". It's a curiosity just for tech-heads, nerds, and geeks that continuously believe that every user should be certified in computer science in order to use computers.

Excellent post, my thoughts entirely.
I am a computer programmer (refuse to use the term software developer/engineer), and my philosophy is to write the best code that I can. Elegant, super maintainable, bug-free as possible, and simplicity. The UI is what is important, sometime the only thing, if it is crap, no matter what else you do to try and hide it, it will always rear it's ugly head.
I NEVER want to root, jail-break or spend countless hours playing around with the settings on my phone, the same way that I don't want to play with my Mercedes.
I want something that is elegant, cool, works perfectly all the time, gives me a great experience and is fun and easy to use. That is why I buy Apple exclusively and will never buy junk.
post #129 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

Judging by how many of these devices are on ebay (in the UK at least) at below retail pricing, suggests that many people have bought these (or got them as xmas presents) and are disappointed with them.

To be fair, it is difficult for Samsung to state exact sales as they follow the standard manufacturer -> wholesale -> retail route whereas Apple has direct relationships with all retailers and also picks up activation stats via iTunes.

The other angle is that it is currently Apple versus all others, and there is no consistency with the all others. Some of the others are Windoze 7 based whilst others are Android 2.x and some (coming soon) ones will be Android 3.0.

The Android ones (and to some extend Windoze ones) have some level of UI tweaking done by the manufacturers and there is no way of knowing whether the Apps in the various stores will actually work with these devices.

However, there are some silver linings in all of this, as some of the competition (I'm likely to get flamed at this point), do have some good points which Apple may view and come up with their interpretations.

For example, the App switching / multi-tasking on some is more slick than iOS, and more UI customisations to make things how you want.

We know that iPad 2 will bring new hardware features, but the big unanswered question is; where is iOS going, especially with 5.x.

I hope for;
1. Being able to slightly resize and adjust spacing of app icons (especially on iPad) to allow for more icons per screen.
2. Double clicking the home button to get the App switching brings up a folders type display but with scrolling so that you can see more background apps at the same time.
3. Background apps to have some processor cycles (maybe 2%) allocated to them whilst in background so that they don't take as long to wake. Once the App Switcher is activated, this percentage could increase to say 15%.
4. A simple and quick way to switch the various radios (Wireless, 3G, Bluetooth) on and off as required, and to adjust brightness / volume.
5. Better alerts and notifications.

Phil

Some good and valid points, I'm sure iOS will evolve and get better and better.
We can all learn from others, so Apple will cherry pick and then do them better, like they always do.
post #130 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

This is the same bullshit that was flung at the Mac for years.... mice, no command-line = toy!
It's the same attitude I saw for years as a MiniCAD/Vectorworks user coming from AutoCAD users....

If a thing isn't hard, it's not valid. If it's in any way pleasurable, It's not valid.
One must suffer to call something real work. Anything else is a joke.

The joke goes the other way.

Beautiful !
I am a computer programmer and my partner used AutoCad (she is an Architect).
I NEVER want to play with my phone, I have much better ways to spend my time, that is why we bought iPhones. I want my computers to work all the time, that is why we bought Macs.
My children wanted the iPad, so we bought one. My wife's relatives in Russia saw her iPad when she visited, they bought it off her, and asked us to send another one over (this was about 6 months ago). These are PC users, initial reaction to the iPad was one of curiosity, then playing with it, then begging to borrow it so they could use it in bed for reading and surfing.
The male relative sneered at it, "its just a toy" (man I wish I had a dollar every time I heard this), its too easy to use, computers have to be complicated and serious, no way will I use this.
He later asked us to ship him a 3G 64GB iPad to Russia. I think I have said enough.
By the way, AutoCad is the biggest pile of crap ever written, it is so hard to use, this means it is bad software. All software must be easy to use, otherwise, simply throw it out. This is not how to code !
post #131 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Well he hasn't spun I mean commented yet on the whole 33 million android vs. 16 million sales of iOS yet

Yep, shipped vs sold. Just like the galaxy tab, one big lie.
With Apple, no one can dispute their sales, can you mister ?
What about the adironnaks phones, how many were actually sold ? Really how many ?
My guess you think its 33 million, if so, then you also believe that 2 million tabs were sold, doesn't matter its all a big lie and samsung have been caught out big time, they are wrong but you are right right ?
Man do you fandroids never give up ?
Its like flies in the Australian summer, wave your hands around, but they never leave you alone, just put on Earth to annoy you.
post #132 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, well he may be an idiot and borderline illiterate, but apparently he's fairly wealthy. He also owns several iPads by his account and probably will buy a RIM playbook and a Motorola tablet when they come out too.

It's probably half his problem. He doesn't have to think about what to buy or if he can afford it. He just rushes out and buys the latest whatever and then spouts off about it here. He's seeking validation of himself through his purchases which probably means he used to be poor or grew up poor, or something similar.

It's the equivalent of buying the latest new car each year but taking it down to the local mall to wash it so everyone can see that you own it and admire you.

Lol ! You are so mean to him/her.
Yeah where is he/she lately ?
I tried to be his/her friend, but my invitation was not taken up.
DaHarder please come back, we all miss you. You are so much funnier than Sprockets and/or Firefly, who knows maybe you are all one and the same ?
post #133 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I commented on an older Dilger article where I pointed out he basically made up information to fit the article.

You told me that AI writers don't make anything up, and that it is simply the writers opinion coming through in the article.

I responded that it is confusing for readers as it is essentially impossible to tell what is factual news and what is opinion when it's all presented in the same feed.

Do you see how it can be confusing now?

One question. Was it Dilger that updated the article by Josh Ong with:
Update: Samsung has admitted that its "sales" figures for Galaxy Tab are actually inventory channel stuffing and do not represent real sales to consumers.?

If so, are the other writers OK with this?

Yep, I am
post #134 of 160
Quote:

A troll isn't someone that you don't agree with, or even someone in an Apple forum that doesn't worship everything Apple. DaHarder doesn't post to intentionally provoke or annoy people. He just loves Android.

Ironically your own post is closer to being defined as trolling.

In any case if you're actually interested (and you're not just being a jackass) why don't you just ask him? You might even want to be his friend?

No DaHarder is a recluse and has no need for friends, I know because I begged him to be mine.
By the way can you find the definitive description of trolling ? Not your warped opinionated version.
He does post to annoy people, are you insane ?
post #135 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

By the way can you find the definitive description of trolling ? Not your warped opinionated version.

Someone that posts to intentionally antagonise and annoy other readers. Certainly not just someone that you disagree with.

According to addabox, DaHarder acts like a jackass on Engadget, which could very well be the case (I've never read him on Engadget). However, here I've always found him to be relatively civil.

I don't often agree with him, but it's interesting to read reasonable opinions from a die hard Android fanboy that has actually used a lot of Apple products as well.

I certainly find his posts far more productive to read than your own post floods where you seem to struggle to go a day without insulting someone, calling people idiots or wankers or making some smug attempt at humour.

There is a very good reason the mods picked you up on your behaviour, and it's not because you're unlucky.
post #136 of 160
So what I get from the thread is basically that Samsung tried to spin all the media into accepting the factoid that they had sold "2 million", and now that they retract, it's all Daniel Eran Dilger's fault.

Oh and that DaHarder's 9 galaxy tabs are still a source of amusement.
post #137 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dridgisuali View Post

hi there i am new to this bbs, but possibly you can help me with a complication i'm seeing. i have w7 x64 and chrome. my error is that last time when i try to reply to a topic, my browser hangs? someone knows what this is ? any help would be much appreciated!

Curious. I have no problems with chrome. Same machine.
post #138 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

So what I get from the thread is basically that Samsung tried to spin all the media into accepting the factoid that they had sold "2 million", and now that they retract

Well... no, not exactly.

A market research firm, Strategy Analytics, came out with a report (I'm not sure when, 2011-01-31 I think) that Android had taken 22% of the Q4 tablet market share.

Bloomberg then picked up on the story on 2011-01-31. The story was reposted on AI on the same day.

Other sites like Business Insider and The Wall Street Journal picked up the story from a different angle using data from Samsung's earnings call where they confirmed the "2 million" was shipped to stores (sell-in), not to customers (sell-through) and that the Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small".

Now it gets funky. Neither Strategy Analytics nor Bloomberg are affiliated with Samsung and the Samsung earning call where they stated the 2 million "sell in" number was three days before the Bloomberg story.

It's obviously impossible for Samsung to retract spin on a story they weren't involved in three days before the story was written.

Here is the funniest part. The original AI article received the update "Update: Samsung has admitted that its "sales" figures for Galaxy Tab are actually inventory channel stuffing and do not represent real sales to consumers" when Dilger posted his own follow up article.

This is the first time to my recollection an AI article has received an update. Not that I think updates are bad, I love to see articles updated when new information comes to light... however it's notable that after the correction has come through that the Samsung exec didn't even say sales were "quite small" but actually said "quite smooth" that Dilger's article remains unedited!
post #139 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

DED is absolutely brilliant on this one. First AI gets the trolls all lathered up with the early morning article about how Android tablets are kicking the iPad's behind. The trolls are ecstatic believing that the iPad "killer" has arrived. All is lost for "closed" Apple. Then, this afternoon, DED drops a bomb on the trolls. The iPad "killer" is actually a big pile of "caca de toro".

Brilliant Dan, simply brilliant!

I agree 100%. Brilliant Dan. Keep up the good work!
post #140 of 160
Quote:

According to addabox, DaHarder acts like a jackass on Engadget, which could very well be the case (I've never read him on Engadget). However, here I've always found him to be relatively civil.

I don't often agree with him, but it's interesting to read reasonable opinions from a die hard Android fanboy that has actually used a lot of Apple products as well.

DaHarder is borderline troll on Engadget, that's true, but I have to admit he's nowhere as annoying as some of the other trolls that are infamous there, like the stupid Mike the cat guy who really gets on my nerves with everything he writes. I actually find DaHarder's contributions mildly tolerable, and as far as trolls go, he's kind of a cute troll (in a purely heterosexual, and just in what he writes kind of way of course ). But he's not objective at all and he also spreads a lot of FUD around there.
post #141 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

DaHarder is borderline troll on Engadget, that's true, but I have to admit he's nowhere as annoying as some of the other trolls that are infamous there, like the stupid Mike the cat guy who really gets on my nerves with everything he writes. I actually find DaHarder's contributions mildly tolerable, and as far as trolls go, he's kind of a cute troll (in a purely heterosexual, and just in what he writes kind of way of course ). But he's not objective at all and he also spreads a lot of FUD around there.

LOL I have never noticed this Mike the Cat guy. Funny how different posters grade us differently. DaHarder I consider a troll. Not because I disagree with him (I've disagreed with every poster on this forum whose opinion I respect, including yours on this matter) or that he doesn't even try to be objective (we all suffer from subjectivity, but the more rational posters at least attempt to see the bigger picture), but because, IMO, he antagonizing people and then when they push back he cries foul. I'm not a fan of passive-aggressiveness or double-standards.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #142 of 160
Quote:

A troll isn't someone that you don't agree with, or even someone in an Apple forum that doesn't worship everything Apple. DaHarder doesn't post to intentionally provoke or annoy people. He just loves Android. ...

Have you actually read DaHarder's posts? He certainly does post intentionally provocative bullshit to annoy people. If his behavior weren't so overtly trollish, I'd think he was a shill, but, most likely he just has no idea what he's talking about and no taste, and enjoys annoying people. His behavior is classic troll, of a certain sort.
post #143 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I think the bulk of those who "love android" got there by hating apple. They just finally have a viable antithesis to latch onto

That's true for a large number of them, but there are also other factors.

Some of them are beguiled by the "open" label and don't expend any thought on whether Android really is open or not (Hint, it isn't.) but for them, anything labeled "open" is good, everything else is bad, regardless of how much sense the label actually makes.

Then there are the people for whom whatever Google does is good. These are the people who, had they been born 10 or more years earlier would have been stalwart Microsoft fans. It's pretty much the same mentality.

And of course, the Apple haters, who hate for various reasons: Apple's success, contrariness, because they have to hate something, ...
post #144 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

No DaHarder is a recluse and has no need for friends, I know because I begged him to be mine.
He does post to annoy people, are you insane ?

Well, Firefly is here with a bit of an agenda himself. Anytime anyone posts, "a troll is not someone who disagrees with you," you can pretty much be assured that they are here to disagree with you.
post #145 of 160
Quote:

... I don't often agree with him, but it's interesting to read reasonable opinions from a die hard Android fanboy that has actually used a lot of Apple products as well. ...

That might be interesting, but we've never experienced any, "reasonable opinions from a die hard Android fanboy that has actually used a lot of Apple products as well," in these forums.
post #146 of 160
Quote:

...This is the first time to my recollection an AI article has received an update. Not that I think updates are bad, I love to see articles updated when new information comes to light... however it's notable that after the correction has come through that the Samsung exec didn't even say sales were "quite small" but actually said "quite smooth" that Dilger's article remains unedited!

What do you expect, Dilger isn't any better than the rest of the writing nitwits who steal from each other and repeat each other's nonsense. Do you expect him to say how wrong he was for writing a bunch of articles on the iPad2 "Retina display" after the real iPad2 is announced? No, no matter how misguided he is, he'll continue giving predictions and opinions... and people here will continue to blissfully take his BS as if it's manna.
post #147 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What do you expect, Dilger isn't any better than the rest of the writing nitwits who steal from each other and repeat each other's nonsense. Do you expect him to say how wrong he was for writing a bunch of articles on the iPad2 "Retina display" after the real iPad2 is announced? No, no matter how misguided he is, he'll continue giving predictions and opinions... and people here will continue to blissfully take his BS as if it's manna.

Is reporting on a rumour the same as backing said rumour?
post #148 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

If they forced partners (ie, carriers/retailers) to buy inventory, then there may be some legal improprieties there. But otherwise, a sale is a sale. MS and Samsung don't sell direct to consumers (for the most part). Their customers are their retailers, so yes, a sale is a sale when the inventory is transferred to the carrier or retail partner.

You don't know how this is booked. You don't know when it is paid for, etc. It's illegal to report sales when they are not sales. That means that unless all of those tablets were paid for in full, then they can't book the income. They then can't report them as sales. They can say that it's inventory in the channel. but not all of that is paid for right away. Much of it is paid on 30 to 90 day intervals.

Then there is sell-through, as Apple calls it, or sell-out, as the reporter called it. So there is inventory, or sales in the channel, and there is sales to end users.

It's like book sales. The store receives a number of books, they pay for part. They sell some, then return the rest, for which they are credited. How are sales represented? Sales to the end user. The rest is inventory in the channel.

Quote:
Now, is it misleading? Yes. Of course people want to know the actual units sold to customers, not those sold to retailers. But the retailers aren't required to divulge that info. Notice, when pressed by the analyst Samsung never actually said exactly how many units were "sell-outs" since they don't have to. They know the number, but are under no obligation to share it.

Misleading the press? That may not be illegal though. Nuance is allowed if they aren't actually lying.

By the way, they've stated today that there was an error in understanding the reply. They now say the word was "smooth" rather than "tiny".
post #149 of 160
Quote:

I commented on an older Dilger article where I pointed out he basically made up information to fit the article.

You told me that AI writers don't make anything up, and that it is simply the writers opinion coming through in the article.

I responded that it is confusing for readers as it is essentially impossible to tell what is factual news and what is opinion when it's all presented in the same feed.

Do you see how it can be confusing now?

One question. Was it Dilger that updated the article by Josh Ong with:
Update: Samsung has admitted that its "sales" figures for Galaxy Tab are actually inventory channel stuffing and do not represent real sales to consumers.?

If so, are the other writers OK with this?

I can't answer that question, as I don't know. But Dilger likely doesn't understand the concept of channel stuffing any more than do most people here. He's a bit too eager to use words that are over telling the story. He doesn't make things up from what I can see, but he definitely puts a fanboy twist on it if he can.
post #150 of 160
Quote:

Well... no, not exactly.

A market research firm, Strategy Analytics, came out with a report (I'm not sure when, 2011-01-31 I think) that Android had taken 22% of the Q4 tablet market share.

Bloomberg then picked up on the story on 2011-01-31. The story was reposted on AI on the same day.

Other sites like Business Insider and The Wall Street Journal picked up the story from a different angle using data from Samsung's earnings call where they confirmed the "2 million" was shipped to stores (sell-in), not to customers (sell-through) and that the Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small".

Now it gets funky. Neither Strategy Analytics nor Bloomberg are affiliated with Samsung and the Samsung earning call where they stated the 2 million "sell in" number was three days before the Bloomberg story.

Thanks for the detailed and supported reply, but there's a problem with your take on things. The problem is that this 2 million figure wasn't around since yesterday, I've seen it in Engadget quite a few weeks ago, and the jest of it was "it's selling very well, look 2 million devices shipped!"

Quote:
It's obviously impossible for Samsung to retract spin on a story they weren't involved in three days before the story was written.

It's obviously not when they were the first ones to "leak" the fact that they "shipped" 2 million devices, a common strategy when you want to bump your numbers up and you just can't use your "sold" devices figure, because it would look... small. It was their marketing strategy, not DED's. And all the media ate it.

Quote:
Here is the funniest part. The original AI article received the update "Update: Samsung has admitted that its "sales" figures for Galaxy Tab are actually inventory channel stuffing and do not represent real sales to consumers" when Dilger posted his own follow up article.

This is the first time to my recollection an AI article has received an update. Not that I think updates are bad, I love to see articles updated when new information comes to light... however it's notable that after the correction has come through that the Samsung exec didn't even say sales were "quite small" but actually said "quite smooth" that Dilger's article remains unedited!

I fail to see the "funny part" except perhaps your nitpicking Daniel for every single atomic error or incoherence on his part. I use to call that kind of "fun" petty. You seem to have a ball with it, so please be my guest and have fun. Last thing I want is to prevent others from having joy in this valley of tears anyway...
post #151 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL I have never noticed this Mike the Cat guy. Funny how different posters grade us differently. DaHarder I consider a troll. Not because I disagree with him (I've disagreed with every poster on this forum whose opinion I respect, including yours on this matter) or that he doesn't even try to be objective (we all suffer from subjectivity, but the more rational posters at least attempt to see the bigger picture), but because, IMO, he antagonizing people and then when they push back he cries foul. I'm not a fan of passive-aggressiveness or double-standards.

Yeah, that's it. And there's a mild irony to noting this in a discussion prompted by the remark that trolling isn't just something you disagree with, because at Engadget DaHarder declares anyone that doesn't share his enthusiasm for Android to be a troll, often preemptively.

And then, as you say, getting all prickly and formal if anyone calls him out, and implying that the mods have been notified, etc. Tiresome.

Although I'll agree that, like almost every other tech site, the comments as Engadget are almost unreadable in general because of the number of absolute stone crazy Apple haters who manage to flood pretty much every thread while maintaining the fiction that "fanboys" are out of control and must be crushed.

It's why I'm a bit thin-skinned about the number of purely negative posters here-- it doesn't seem like too much to ask that there might be a place on the web where Apple's customers can discuss what Apple's up to without being constantly belittled as sheep or having some twit hold their PC/Android/Xbox/Whatever Isn't Apple aloft and shriek with triumphant laughter. God knows there's a place and time for that, and it's called "the internet."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #152 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is reporting on a rumour the same as backing said rumour?

Is this what you call reporting:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...es_ipad_2.html

It's a three page feature article...
post #153 of 160
I'm sure there won't be any kind of update or retraction to the fact that nobody said the words "quite small" AT ALL in the reported story, will there?

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy...ot-quite-small
post #154 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I can't answer that question, as I don't know. But Dilger likely doesn't understand the concept of channel stuffing any more than do most people here. He's a bit too eager to use words that are over telling the story. He doesn't make things up from what I can see, but he definitely puts a fanboy twist on it if he can.

Awesome response. Thank you.

It looks like Dilger updated the article which is a credit to him personally as well as the entire site.

It would be nice if he could continue to be positive about Apple without being so "anti" everything else, but I suppose we can't win 'em all!

In any case the story updates are great to see. It certainly gives me a lot more trust in the site content.
post #155 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

I fail to see the "funny part" except perhaps your nitpicking Daniel for every single atomic error or incoherence on his part. I use to call that kind of "fun" petty. You seem to have a ball with it, so please be my guest and have fun. Last thing I want is to prevent others from having joy in this valley of tears anyway...

The incorrect title wasn't nitpicking nor was it petty. Dilger updated the article, so apparently he agrees with me.

I'm not sure where that leaves you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, Firefly is here with a bit of an agenda himself. Anytime anyone posts, "a troll is not someone who disagrees with you," you can pretty much be assured that they are here to disagree with you.

Can you point out where I wrote that? That's very misleading and has a totally different meaning to the point I was trying to make. If you can find where you quoted me from I think an update is in order

I'm not arguing semantics, the distinction between what I wrote (or at least what I tried to write!) and what you wrote is very much real and important.
post #156 of 160
They actually said the sales were "quite smooth", not "quite small"; it was misreported.

Furthermore, Samsung managed to sell a tablet that costs little more than $200 to make at $700, quite a feat, in particular given that the tablet is running a pure phone OS. They only sold 2 million units because that's all they wanted to commit to in a first run, not knowing what the market would take. That's just their toe in the water.

And you know what? The Galaxy Tab is spectacularly good: the right size, the right functionality, and it just works. I'm usually leaving my iPad at home now.
post #157 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

They actually said the sales were "quite smooth", not "quite small"; it was misreported.

Furthermore, Samsung managed to sell a tablet that costs little more than $200 to make at $700, quite a feat, in particular given that the tablet is running a pure phone OS. They only sold 2 million units because that's all they wanted to commit to in a first run, not knowing what the market would take. That's just their toe in the water.

And you know what? The Galaxy Tab is spectacularly good: the right size, the right functionality, and it just works. I'm usually leaving my iPad at home now.

You post exactly as I would expect a paid shill to post. Every post you've made.
post #158 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

Samsung has still not informed us of how many of those two million "sales" have made it into retail buyers' hands.
post #159 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You post exactly as I would expect a paid shill to post. Every post you've made.

Or he really could just think the Galaxy Tab is better than the iPad. And where's the harm in that? He doesn't post as a paid shill would, he posts as someone who has an opinion that is different to your own. If you want people to respect that you think Apple's products are better than the competition, you're going to have to respect that some people will think the opposite.
post #160 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Samsung has still not informed us of how many of those two million "sales" have made it into retail buyers' hands.

Here is the number of consumer activation of the Galaxy Tab on Dec 2010 ( one month after the debut of the device) taken from an independent market research firm.

Thats close to 1 million in one month. Therefore, that 2 million sounds about right.

http://blog.flurry.com/bid/54035/And...the-new-Wintel

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"