or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"

Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small" - Page 2

post #41 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I won't say it...

But... but... Apple's all closed and egotistical and these guys are all about openness! And people are tired of Steve Jobs 'telling them what to buy'! TIRED of it!

Well! I am just shocked.
post #42 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Do you imagine that such distinctions matter to an AI writer? This is just another Digler hit piece.

Whilst I understand everything said was technically correct, I think it is only fair to assume that they purposely choose which figures to reveal and which to hide. Perfectly legal of course but no harm in pointing out that they are indeed hiding behind numbers they know are not really relevant.
post #43 of 160
Really, why did they introduce this product? Because they had to? Because the Board of Directors expected it? Think of all the money they dumped on this. It is really a bad decision on the behalf of the management. Was it be damned if you do, and damned if you don't, so take the expensive route? Was there a market for it? Did they calculate that? Who bought this thing? Did staples say they needed a tablet, so they got this one? Didn't they know that if people looked at it, and played with it, it would drive them to buy an Ipad?

Anyone know why this product was even released?

Or is it not obvious to the people who market consumer electronics that the game has changed on them?

I am now going to become a consumer electronic product consultant. It is obvious to me what is apparently not obvious to these folks. Anyone have any leads for me to follow?
post #44 of 160
So what's the deal with Samsung using an inverted V as the A in their name? Trying to save a buck here and there? Just think how crappy Vpple, iPvd, and Mvc would look.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just curious.
post #45 of 160
Nothing funnier than seeing DaHarder now desperately trying to justify this hunk of junk despite the facts.
post #46 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

When I first saw 22% I thought 22% my ass. I should be seeing one Samsung in the wild for every 4 iPads but I ain't seeing it. I haven't even seen one Samsung, period.

Could be regional differences, of course. Maybe whatever they sell is mostly in Asia. Still, stuff that seems to be sitting in inventory at resellers does not impress a lot.

What is Apple's mix btw? How many go to resellers, how many are sold directly to customers? Do we know?
post #47 of 160
I wonder how many were purchased by our resident troll DaHarder?
post #48 of 160
Starting to get the lay of AI land finally. For example, I just knew from the headline this article was gonna have a DED byline!!

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #49 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What was Samsung thinking? How on earth did they imagine that is was going to work for them to make a big deal of millions of "sales" and then admit that sales are "quite small"?

My guess is that there's going to be some strenuous walk-back within the day, as this story blows up on line. Maybe they thought an offhand remark would slip under the radar, but they're going to have to say something. You know, executive misspoke, didn't have all the info, or just the boilerplate "We are very pleased with the performance" etc.

My guess is their lawyers told them you're probably committing securities fraud when you lie about your sales figures.
post #50 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Starting to get the lay of AI land finally. For example, I just knew from the headline this article was gonna have a DED byline!!

DED is absolutely brilliant on this one. First AI gets the trolls all lathered up with the early morning article about how Android tablets are kicking the iPad's behind. The trolls are ecstatic believing that the iPad "killer" has arrived. All is lost for "closed" Apple. Then, this afternoon, DED drops a bomb on the trolls. The iPad "killer" is actually a big pile of "caca de toro".

Brilliant Dan, simply brilliant!
post #51 of 160
I knew those sale figures were bunk when I started to see the buy one get one free Galaxy Tab ads. I doubt they're even manufacturing more for restocking the channel after the initial 2 million sold, as Best Buy and other retailers have reduced their status to "not available online" and "check stores".
post #52 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Could be regional differences, of course. Maybe whatever they sell is mostly in Asia.

Could be. I think Koreans are very nationalistic consumers. Back when Hyundai was selling crap cars, my informal survey based on casual observation was that a high proportion of people driving Hyundais in the States were Koreans.

Not anymore, to their credit Hyundais are no longer crap.
post #53 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It can't be assumed that this is channel stuffing. There could have been real expectations that both WP7 and the Galaxy Tab would have sold close to those numbers, even though it didn't work out.

Channel stuffing is when a company puts more product into the channel than they KNOW they will sell just to make the financials. We would have to see evidence of that. It's a serious misjudgment, because it is illegal to report stuffing as income for the quarter.

actually that's how it traditionally works.

they stuff the channel with version 1, few months later release version 2 and put the previous version on fire sale. Then stuff the channel with version 2.
post #54 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's a curiosity just for tech-heads, nerds, and geeks that continuously believe that every user should be certified in computer science in order to use computers.

This is the same bullshit that was flung at the Mac for years.... mice, no command-line = toy!
It's the same attitude I saw for years as a MiniCAD/Vectorworks user coming from AutoCAD users....

If a thing isn't hard, it's not valid. If it's in any way pleasurable, It's not valid.
One must suffer to call something real work. Anything else is a joke.

The joke goes the other way.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #55 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

BBC and EuroNews are the most anti Apple in Europe.

Agreed. The BBC tech coverage is embarrassingly anti apple. They often state such nonsense they make themselves look stupid.
post #56 of 160
Quote:

My Wife, my dog and I have 3 each...

But.....where are they - oh, you say the Dog ate them?
post #57 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Mmmm...

Google "Tab sales quite small." This is a story all over the web, the headlines are typically in line with the AI piece. Just because something happens that reflects poorly on an Apple rival and AI reports it doesn't make some kind of DED spin.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #58 of 160
Quote:

At least I have to give the guy credit to at least have some kind of decency to man-up and tell it like it is.

At first, I thought so too. After reading the whole article, I realized that this was a response to a question during quarterly conference call. And there, you don't lie; there's always a risk of a shareholder lawsuit if you do!
post #59 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

I happened to be in an Office Depot the other day waiting on some printing work, and noticed a Galaxy display, so thought I'd play for a minute. A minute was all it took to walk away in aggravation. The touch and slide interface on that thing is horrible to say the least. I had to tap things 3 and 4 times to select. And the sliding with your fingertip was choppy and almost unusable.

No wonder this POS went down in flames. You don't realize the elegance of the iPad/iPhone until you use something like this. I love Samsung LCD's. They should be ashamed to disgrace their branding with this hunk of dung.

I was actually thinking of buying that Samsung POS So I went to BestBuy and spent 1 frustrating hour trying and failing to use the damn thing. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to turn off that annoying key clicking sound - I spent a full 10 minutes trying to navigate that unintuitive interface in the utilties function OMG who are these folks at Samsung trying to fool. As a result I am not selling my apple shares and am look forward to riding them up to over 400 this year once the sales figures for the iPad are released and the Galaxy tab burns and dies.

You people who haven't demoed the Samsung go do it now and you will see what I means for yourself. It is a disaster!
post #60 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree with the comment above... When will they learn? Yes, they had a "form factor" from which to reverse engineer, thanks to Apple's ipad, but you have to offer at something close to equal usability for the user. It's called "quality!"

MS, Dell and others are notorious for rushing a subpar product to market and then wonder why it flops.

So true.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #61 of 160
Quote:

The BBC has been ever since the toy called the BBC Micro was released.
post #62 of 160
I just hope this iPad wannabe crap is recyclable.
post #63 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Why all the noise about Galaxy Tab when it couldn't compete.
Jobs was right about problems with the form factor.

bollcks

the form factor was great

the price was the stupid part, plus the contracts - if you have a phone, nobody wants to have an extra friggen contract for a tab - apple realised this to start with
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #64 of 160
I’m surprised Daniel wrote this article based on the title. I expected something like, "Samsung admits center of Galaxy Tab is a black hole of disappointing sales". I like the over-the-top headlines. They are funny.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #65 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just hope this iPad wannabe crap is recyclable.

That is a subject that does irk me. Here we are in a world where everyone plays the eco-green card. Exactly what happens with all that crap inventory? Even if they sell them for one dollar, they will end up being used for five minutes and then gather dust in some drawer, only to be tossed away in a landfill.

Companies (including Apple) do charge a "recycling" fee on these kind of purchases. Perhaps we should expect the same with folks that build this garbage, only to end up being said-garbage.
post #66 of 160
Quote:

That's a bizarre comment. The BBC will not run this because it's really not much of a story, especially whilst Egypt is getting ready to catch fire.
post #67 of 160
deleted
post #68 of 160
But you can fit one in your hand and it plays flash. At least that was what the girl at Costco told me. Like I said in the previous article - go to a store that sells both and they'll tell you the iPad outsells the galaxy 50 to 1.

By the way, I stopped at an AT&T store and asked about phones, and the guy told me their #1 seller is the iPhone - by far. That's why I think all these research firms are full of sh*t. Talk to people with first hand knowledge.
post #69 of 160
Where's the "IT guy" here that said they'd sell like hotcakes because they fit in cargo pant pockets and all his buds were panting for them?
post #70 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Where's the "IT guy" here that said they'd sell like hotcakes because they fit in cargo pant pockets and all his buds were panting for them?

He was pants?
post #71 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

This is the same bullshit that was flung at the Mac for years.... mice, no command-line = toy!
It's the same attitude I saw for years as a MiniCAD/Vectorworks user coming from AutoCAD users....

If a thing isn't hard, it's not valid. If it's in any way pleasurable, It's not valid.
One must suffer to call something real work. Anything else is a joke.

The joke goes the other way.

Well somebody has to make all those iOS apps. Apple and their UI can take care of the rest.
post #72 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im surprised Daniel wrote this article based on the title. I expected something like, "Samsung admits center of Galaxy Tab is a black hole of disappointing sales". I like the over-the-top headlines. They are funny.

Well he hasn't spun I mean commented yet on the whole 33 million android vs. 16 million sales of iOS yet
post #73 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Remember Palm? They were reporting good sell-in numbers (did not specify how much Pre though) and then dropped to almost nothing? They managed to keep the illusion for two earnings reports, and then... As far as I remember, their shares dropped from $18 to $4 in a week or so.

Remember Zune? Microsoft promised to sell one million units during the first year, ending in the summer. Many "journalists" tried hard to make people feel this is a huge number, although Apple was selling an order of magnitude more - every quarter. Then Microsoft reported that they met their target almost a month early, in June. But those were "sold-in", not "sold-out". In December you could buy those 1st gen Zunes with 50% to 70% discount. You know how the Zune story ends.

Back to now. It will be easier to paint the Galaxy Tap sales dropping to zero as a result of new Android tablets coming to the market. But this won't be the whole story. And we will never know the truth.

Ahh...

But, we have gained from the experience -- no longer will we accept manufacturer's and analyst's numbers at face value. They will have to substantiate their numbers to actually have the desired effect -- otherwise they will be open to ridicule, or worse.

I wonder what the analyst and his company will do to earn a living next year -- same for the PR/Marketing execs at Samsung.

Why don't we ask the analysts about the numbers that comprise "iOS Sales" and "Android Sales". Where do they get these numbers? How do they verify them? Why should we believe them?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #74 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Well he hasn't spun I mean commented yet on the whole 33 million android vs. 16 million sales of iOS yet

I can spin that - it was 33 m android vs 33 m iOs ( of which 16M were phones)

Also - supply constraints. Still worrying, though.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #75 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

True, but it is clearly a misrepresentation of sales data. Samsung made it seem as though their product was actually selling to customers. Now they're stuck with a full channel and more than likely won't be able to "sell" as many in the following quarter. This is probably why they're warning investors of small actual sales numbers now. And the possibility of many left in the channel being dumped when newer Android tablets hit the market.

If this was a misrepresentation of sales, then every manufacturer that does not sell directly to the public misrepresents sales every quarter.
post #76 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

LOL Yeah I remember Daharder said that. Does he show up here anymore? I know he's very active on Engadget saying the same BS!

I knew all along it was just channel stuffing. I can't stop laughing at them.

MacRulez seems to have taken his place today.
post #77 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

LOL Yeah I remember Daharder said that. Does he show up here anymore? I know he's very active on Engadget saying the same BS!

I knew all along it was just channel stuffing. I can't stop laughing at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

MacRulez seems to have taken his place today.

What you need to realize...

DaHarder == DaChannel
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #78 of 160
Quote:

Typical PC junk-makers. At least I have to give the guy credit to at least have some kind of decency to man-up and tell it like it is.

Just a head's up: The Lee in the story is Samsung's Lee Young-heea she.
post #79 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Is that a Galaxy Tab in your pants, or are you just happy to see Charlie Sheen's porn star?
post #80 of 160
Quote:

My Wife, my dog and I have 3 each...

My Wife, my dog and I have 3 each, and each one has 3 Tabs of their own....

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"