or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small" - Page 3

post #81 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

If they forced partners (ie, carriers/retailers) to buy inventory, then there may be some legal improprieties there. But otherwise, a sale is a sale. MS and Samsung don't sell direct to consumers (for the most part). Their customers are their retailers, so yes, a sale is a sale when the inventory is transferred to the carrier or retail partner.

Now, is it misleading? Yes. Of course people want to know the actual units sold to customers, not those sold to retailers. But the retailers aren't required to divulge that info. Notice, when pressed by the analyst Samsung never actually said exactly how many units were "sell-outs" since they don't have to. They know the number, but are under no obligation to share it.

If people aren't actually buying them it means they won't be able to push two more million to the already saturated channels next time. It does matter.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #82 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Channel stuffing is when a company puts more product into the channel than they KNOW they will sell just to make the financials. We would have to see evidence of that. It's a serious misjudgment, because it is illegal to report stuffing as income for the quarter.

Maybe in the US? Are ETFs subject to the same regulations as US public companies? I don't know. Is it illegal in South Korea? I don't know that either. Anyway it doesn't matter since they came clean on the sales figures.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #83 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanMac View Post

Nothing funnier than seeing DaHarder now desperately trying to justify this hunk of junk despite the facts.

Yeah, well he may be an idiot and borderline illiterate, but apparently he's fairly wealthy. He also owns several iPads by his account and probably will buy a RIM playbook and a Motorola tablet when they come out too.

It's probably half his problem. He doesn't have to think about what to buy or if he can afford it. He just rushes out and buys the latest whatever and then spouts off about it here. He's seeking validation of himself through his purchases which probably means he used to be poor or grew up poor, or something similar.

It's the equivalent of buying the latest new car each year but taking it down to the local mall to wash it so everyone can see that you own it and admire you.
post #84 of 160
Who is buying all those tabs and what are they doing with them?

post #85 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe in the US? Are ETFs subject to the same regulations as US public companies? I don't know. Is it illegal in South Korea? I don't know that either. Anyway it doesn't matter since they came clean on the sales figures.

Yahoo search for Samsung President Jail

You will find some interesting hits.

I don't have a link but I read somewhere that the Samsung President (or CEO or founder) was given a presidential pardon because the Korean economy needed him...
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #86 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It can't be assumed that this is channel stuffing. There could have been real expectations that both WP7 and the Galaxy Tab would have sold close to those numbers, even though it didn't work out.

I commented on an older Dilger article where I pointed out he basically made up information to fit the article.

You told me that AI writers don't make anything up, and that it is simply the writers opinion coming through in the article.

I responded that it is confusing for readers as it is essentially impossible to tell what is factual news and what is opinion when it's all presented in the same feed.

Do you see how it can be confusing now?

One question. Was it Dilger that updated the article by Josh Ong with:
Update: Samsung has admitted that its "sales" figures for Galaxy Tab are actually inventory channel stuffing and do not represent real sales to consumers.?

If so, are the other writers OK with this?
post #87 of 160
well, i punished myself and went over to TechCrunch to see if they have covered the Galaxy Big Flop story yet today. (their pages run some horrible script that ties up my processor at 50% for over a minute every page load - not Flash). TC of course is Android fanboy territory (except for one token Apple guy, MGS). why even as recently as last thursday they were hyping the 2 million sales story:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/27...y-tabs-served/

but gee, nothing there yet about the Flop Heard Round The World ... except for maybe the sound of the gnashing of teeth. and they are always so up to the minute, so hip!

but i didn't troll. didn't rub it in with a comment there. they need time to lick their wound.
post #88 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My Wife, my dog and I have 3 each...

DaHarder! Where has he been? Lol.
post #89 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

DaHarder! Where has he been? Lol.

Over at Engadget trying to convince anyone who will listen how cool the "Tab" is. Apparently no one believes him.
post #90 of 160
Another iPhone/iPad "killer" bites the dust.
post #91 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What specifically about the screens was pathetic? They seemed like pretty decent screens, so I'd like more information on why you didn't like them.

Don't know about him but I liked the nook's IPS screen better than the S-LCD screen in the Tab. Obviously better viewing angles.
post #92 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

When I first saw 22% I thought 22% my ass. I should be seeing one Samsung in the wild for every 4 iPads but I ain't seeing it. I haven't even seen one Samsung, period.

I've seen a couple Nook Colors in the wild (outside of B&N...I've seen 3-4 customers in B&N with NCs). I've never seen a samsung. When all is said and done I bet more Nook Colors got sold this Christmas than Galaxy Tabs.
post #93 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

When I first saw 22% I thought 22% my ass. I should be seeing one Samsung in the wild for every 4 iPads but I ain't seeing it. I haven't even seen one Samsung, period.

I see them EVERYWHERE... in shop windows, and being sold by touts on street corners. I see iPads on the bus, on the MTR, on minibuses, in coffee shops...
post #94 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, well he may be an idiot and borderline illiterate, but apparently he's fairly wealthy. He also owns several iPads by his account and probably will buy a RIM playbook and a Motorola tablet when they come out too.

It's probably half his problem. He doesn't have to think about what to buy or if he can afford it. He just rushes out and buys the latest whatever and then spouts off about it here. He's seeking validation of himself through his purchases which probably means he used to be poor or grew up poor, or something similar.

It's the equivalent of buying the latest new car each year but taking it down to the local mall to wash it so everyone can see that you own it and admire you.

You assume he's telling the truth. I own an Aston Martin DB9 and a Cessna Citation X..... well, not really. But, I can look up reviews and talk about them with authority on a forum.
post #95 of 160
It's a Galaxy that is far, far, away from initial lies about sales ... Sam has sung and the tune is not very good. Glad all those crack analysts were on the their case originally with penetrating questions like "when you sales, do you mean actual sales?"
post #96 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Over at Engadget trying to convince anyone who will listen how cool the "Tab" is. Apparently no one believes him.

TechStud! We want TechStud
post #97 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yahoo search for Samsung President Jail

You will find some interesting hits.

I don't have a link but I read somewhere that the Samsung President (or CEO or founder) was given a presidential pardon because the Korean economy needed him...

alexkhan2000 is Korean and has written in a number of posts here about Samsung's behavior - none of it is flattering to Samsung.
post #98 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Mmmm...

Google "Tab sales quite small." This is a story all over the web, the headlines are typically in line with the AI piece. Just because something happens that reflects poorly on an Apple rival and AI reports it doesn't make some kind of DED spin.

My only problem with this article was DED's presumption of channel-stuffing. 2m units for a 100 country/200 carrier launch is 10k units per carrier. Optimistic? Yes, but not overtly stuffing the channel even allowing for the large disparity of what each carrier might sell.

On the other hand, the "our sell-in was quite aggressive" quote may well be a tell. Does "aggressive" mean they pushed their distribution partners into taking more product than what they really wanted?
post #99 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

TechStud! We want TechStud

He's here under one of his countless aliases.
post #100 of 160
I met a blog poster with seven wives, every wife had seven kids, wives and kids had seven iPads EACH, for every iPad they bought a Galaxy, and for every Galaxy they bought a Tab. Tabs, Galaxies, iPads kids and wives how many could Samsung fit in a channel?

Sorry-just being silly. I'm stuffed from dinner. Stuffed channel catfish,mmmmm.

My DaHarder tribute!

I miss him!!
post #101 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

My only problem with this article was DED's presumption of channel-stuffing. 2m units for a 100 country/200 carrier launch is 10k units per carrier. Optimistic? Yes, but not overtly stuffing the channel even allowing for the large disparity of what each carrier might sell.

On the other hand, the "our sell-in was quite aggressive" quote may well be a tell. Does "aggressive" mean they pushed their distribution partners into taking more product than what they really wanted?

Even at the numbers you suggest in your break-down, this was still a huge gamble Samsung made based on Apple's iPad numbers it seems. They assumed that people were buying the tablet form factor, not the Apple ecosystem. A huge error in judgement that the "sell-out" numbers demonstrated. So yes I think they were trying to coat-tail the iPad mindshare and dumped a lot of devices into their channels thinking the demand would be there. Bearing in mind also that Samsung is a parts supplier to Apple as well.
post #102 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What specifically about the screens was pathetic? They seemed like pretty decent screens, so I'd like more information on why you didn't like them.

I should have said pathetically small.
post #103 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I can spin that - it was 33 m android vs 33 m iOs ( of which 16M were phones)

Also - supply constraints. Still worrying, though.

Or count all those who wish they had one.
post #104 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

well, i punished myself and went over to TechCrunch to see if they have covered the Galaxy Big Flop story yet today. (their pages run some horrible script that ties up my processor at 50% for over a minute every page load - not Flash). TC of course is Android fanboy territory (except for one token Apple guy, MGS). why even as recently as last thursday they were hyping the 2 million sales story:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/27...y-tabs-served/

but gee, nothing there yet about the Flop Heard Round The World ... except for maybe the sound of the gnashing of teeth. and they are always so up to the minute, so hip!

but i didn't troll. didn't rub it in with a comment there. they need time to lick their wound.

It was posted earlier today: http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/31...e-quite-small/
post #105 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I wonder how many were purchased by our resident troll DaHarder?

A troll isn't someone that you don't agree with, or even someone in an Apple forum that doesn't worship everything Apple. DaHarder doesn't post to intentionally provoke or annoy people. He just loves Android.

Ironically your own post is closer to being defined as trolling.

In any case if you're actually interested (and you're not just being a jackass) why don't you just ask him? You might even want to be his friend?
post #106 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Where's the "IT guy" here that said they'd sell like hotcakes because they fit in cargo pant pockets and all his buds were panting for them?

People still wear cargo pants?
post #107 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Is that a Galaxy Tab in your pants, or are you just happy to see Charlie Sheen's porn star?

Haa.

7 inches is enough for some people I suppose.
post #108 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It was posted earlier today: http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/31...e-quite-small/

thanks. it wasn't on the TechCrunch site, and i don't look at the rest of their stable's sites.

funny tho, Coldeway didn't express any of those doubts in his post last week. ah well, what matters is he was THINKING about it - you know. that's how real "web journalists" work. the notion was in his own personal mind "cloud." where his virtually mind reality is as good as if it really happened. or as if he wrote it even.
post #109 of 160
APPL investor here.



This article = LOL all over the place!

All those stupid reports saying Android tablets were making huge gains...

By the way, I'm not clueless... I understand Android will make gains, I'm laughing more at the media.
post #110 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

A troll isn't someone that you don't agree with, or even someone in an Apple forum that doesn't worship everything Apple. DaHarder doesn't post to intentionally provoke or annoy people. He just loves Android.

Ironically your own post is closer to being defined as trolling.

In any case if you're actually interested (and you're not just being a jackass) why don't you just ask him? You might even want to be his friend?

I think the bulk of those who "love android" got there by hating apple. They just finally have a viable antithesis to latch onto
post #111 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Myself and few others (maybe you included) were calling bs on Samsung's GT sales figures back on November 22.

So... yes... vindication feels good.



(I noticed this and posted about this only starting a couple of months ago).
post #112 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Even at the numbers you suggest in your break-down, this was still a huge gamble Samsung made based on Apple's iPad numbers it seems. They assumed that people were buying the tablet form factor, not the Apple ecosystem. A huge error in judgement that the "sell-out" numbers demonstrated. So yes I think they were trying to coat-tail the iPad mindshare and dumped a lot of devices into their channels thinking the demand would be there. Bearing in mind also that Samsung is a parts supplier to Apple as well.

It was absolutely a huge gamble on Samsung's part. Regardless of their intent (they may well have thought they would ride the iPad's coattails), it looks like they stuffed the channel. Their immediate problem is the hit they will take in the current quarter but it may not be obvious if they report tablets consolidated with phones (mobile devices).

Their bigger problem will be the next time they approach their distribution partner with an "iPad killer".

It's a good thing that Apple is a really good customer.
post #113 of 160
In my industry we call this 'sell-in' and 'sell-through'. Obviously sell-through is the only value that truly matters. Sell-in is how effective your internal marketing team was at getting Walmart to order your product at retail. I could see how Samsung could make this happen: They are Samsung for one, they are a strong brand with good retail products (TV's). Tablets are hot, as the iPad proved. And Android has a large market penetration. How could the Galaxy Tab fail? Your company should order 500k at least, just to meet the amazing demand. Hell you should get 1mill on shelves and by Christmas at that! =)

But then reality hits and these poor retailers have been duped. Customers are not buying them, the price point is too high for a compact tablet form factor, and people apparently prefer iPads anyway.

I hate it when companies lie about sell-in numbers. It's done all the time to exaggerate and inflate their value, at least in Samsung's case they had to fess up to shareholders eventually. Very typical and very pathetic.
post #114 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What you need to realize...

DaHarder == DaChannel

DaHarder DaCome, DaHarder DaFall.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #115 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Do you imagine that such distinctions matter to an AI writer? This is just another Digler hit piece.


It became channel stuffing when they claimed it as "sales" and knew how it would be interpreted. Do you think they internally forecasted production on these sales figures?
post #116 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

A troll isn't someone that you don't agree with, or even someone in an Apple forum that doesn't worship everything Apple. DaHarder doesn't post to intentionally provoke or annoy people. He just loves Android.

Ironically your own post is closer to being defined as trolling.

In any case if you're actually interested (and you're not just being a jackass) why don't you just ask him? You might even want to be his friend?

You ever read the comments at Engadget? DaHarder really gets his nasty on over there, where he has more assholes to back him up in his Apple bashing. He taunts, he belittles, he declares anyone who doesn't share his anti-Apple fanboyism as a troll before they even post. And he absolutely posts to annoy, enrage, bait, and get people mad enough that he can laugh at them. In other words, trolling. He keeps it more in check over here because there's not quite as many insufferable little pricks to cheer him on .

Frankly, his juvenile antics make me wonder about his claim to be an affluent retired person. He posts like a jacked up teenager.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #117 of 160
Wow, was this story click bait or what? Look at the numbers compared to surrounding stories. Nothing gets us Apple enthusiasts out of our holes quicker than a good "competition falls flat on it's face" story. Life is good. Now if only Netgear's Lo would slip on a banana peel on camera.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #118 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wow, was this story click bait or what? Look at the numbers compared to surrounding stories. Nothing gets us Apple enthusiasts out of our holes quicker than a good "competition falls flat on it's face" story. Life is good. Now if only Netgear's Lo would slip on a banana peel on camera.

Maybe we can arrange to have Lo and Adobe's Narayen collide and explode in a huge fireball. Because that would be awesome.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #119 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

A troll isn't someone that you don't agree with, or even someone in an Apple forum that doesn't worship everything Apple. DaHarder doesn't post to intentionally provoke or annoy people. He just loves Android.

He's certainly annoying.. with his unobjectiveness. (yes, I know most here are also unobjective but at least they are so on a appropriate site)

Good thing he's eating his crow now.

On topic, I think no one who tried the Tab will be surprised to hear the news. Contrary to everyone, I saw a few Tabs in the wild here in Thailand and I felt sorry for the owners. I'm not sure they bought it because they love Android or because the carriers heavily promoted it, or because there's no iPad on sale at the time but they certainly are ****.
post #120 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

Tablets are hot, as the iPad proved.

The thing is though that tablets aren't hot. The iPad is hot. People, myself included thought it would be mild. Maybe a new hobby for apple. But it turned out way more useful than people expected.

The iPad doesn't sell because people are buying tablets. Tablets are selling because of the iPad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small"