or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T to expand tethering data cap to 4GB for $45 per month

AT&T to expand tethering data cap to 4GB for $45 per month

post #1 of 41
AT&T on Wednesday announced that "select smartphone customers" will be able to access the AT&T Mobile Hotspot application for sharing a handset's 3G data connection with other devices, offering 4GB of data per month with tethering for $45.

The press release sent out by AT&T made no mention of the iPhone 4 or its Personal Hotspot feature expected to be introduced with iOS 4.3. The company noted that the first handset to support the new tethering plan will be the HTC Inspire 4G, launching in its stores on Feb. 13.

On Feb. 13, AT&T will automatically add an additional 2GB of monthly data use to smartphone customers who are already on its $20-per-month tethering plan. The additional data will be given at no extra charge.

Customers on the existing $25-per-month DataPro plan will remain with 2GB of data per month. Those who opt for the $20 tethering plan will be given the additional 2GB of data, which will be applied to collective use among all devices.

For users who go over the monthly data cap, AT&T will charge the standard overage fee of $10 per gigabyte.

"Our customers want to connect as many devices as possible to the nation's fastest mobile broadband network, which is getting faster with 4G," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "We want to extend the benefits of an additional 2GB to smartphone customers on our tethering plan. This delivers more value today for the price they're already paying - and that's what our customers want."

The expanded data plans with tethering will debut just three days after Apple's iPhone 4 launches on the Verizon network in the U.S. on Feb. 10. That handset will launch with the Personal Hotspot feature built-in.

AT&T launched its DataPro plan with a 2GB cap for $25 per month in June of 2010, replacing the previous $30 plan for unlimited data. At that time, the carrier also began offering the ability to tether an iPhone's 3G data connection via Bluetooth or USB for an additional $20 per month, but offered no extra bandwidth cap space.
post #2 of 41
An overage charge of $20/GB? Is that right? I believe the current overage charge is $10/GB.
(article now corrected)
post #3 of 41
Still too much...The last thing I'm going to do is give ATT another $20/month. I already pay $120 for my iPhone 4. Too, too much!

Best
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Still too much...The last thing I'm going to do is give ATT another $45/month. I already pay $120 for my iPhone 4. Too, too much!

It's not another $45 - it's an additional $20 over the $25 for the current 2gb data plan.
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

It's not another $45 - it's an additional $20 over the $25 for the current 2gb data plan.

Understood! Thanks DJ. I'm already paying $30 for my iPhone 4....another $20 is still too much. Best.
post #6 of 41
The title is very misleading. There is no increase for those of us that currently have the tethering plan. For those that do not, you pay an additional $20 / month for tethering above the 2GB data plan (which is $25 / month).

The title seems to indicate that there is an additional charge (or at least that is how I took it).
post #7 of 41
AI: Is it too much to ask to actually link source material? Seriously, it's getting really old, and honestly, it's becoming laughable how poorly you cite your articles.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...115124609.html
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Understood! Thanks DJ. I'm already paying $30 for my iPhone 4....another $20 is still too much. Best.

Well if you're paying $30, it sounds as if you're grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. There's no mention of this in the AI story, but I assume you'd have to switch to a capped data plan in order to be eligible for tethering. The upshot of that is that it would only be an additional $15
post #9 of 41
At least you get some data for your tethering fee now.

$25 for 2GB on the phone, and $20 for an additional 2GB that can be shared between all the devices.

You can argue that $45 for 4GB is too high, but it's better than before!

What would be better is if you didn't have to pay for tethering at all:

$25 for 2GB, $45 for 4GB, and tether or not at your own discretion...

I would use the tethering function occasionally, but not enough to require additional bandwidth.

Of course, I suppose I would have to give up my $30 unlimited plan too...
post #10 of 41
Ingenious people who refuse to be extorted are pirates.
Think Different - but only if it doesn't hurt the bottom line... then we prefer you don't think at all.

Lots of love

- Corporate America

xo
post #11 of 41
If they made tethering as easy as activating/deactivating 3G on my iPad I'd consider adding it on an as needed basis. I'd even drop my grandfathered $30 plan to do so.
post #12 of 41
And people wonder why we want the carriers reduced to being Dumb Pipes! What is this 'select customer' bullshit? Either offer it to everyone, or don't offer it at all (even if it's not a great deal.)

Given all the games these companies play with plans and pricing and availability, I imagine their salespeople must have a 2" binder full of all the various options and their contradictory offerings. Meanwhile Apple, the most valuable tech company on the planet at this point, keeps their product inventory down to 'what can fit on a conference table', and continues to find ways to consolidate product overlap.

Whenever I hear 'select customers' the first word that comes to mind is 'capricious'.
post #13 of 41
I'm only surprised they didn't use the marketing gimmick:

Call NOW....the first ten fools..., er, customers who call will receive the deal. But you must call now (operators are standing by - actually unfathomable voice-mail is standing by to further frustrate you).

I just spent 2 HOURS trying to get my office ATT account straightened out, after two previous hour long calls last week, so I don't think I'll be rushing to the phone to take advantage of this "bargain".
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

$25 for 2GB on the phone, and $20 for an additional 2GB that can be shared between all the devices.

<B>$25 for 2GB, $45 for 4GB, and tether or not at your own discretion...</B>

I would use the tethering function occasionally, but not enough to require additional bandwidth.

Well... isn't that exactly what it is? If you ignore the tethering capability, ATT is giving you 2 GB for $20 and 4 for $45. You get free tethering with that higher plan now. Look at it that way and it appears that your wish is granted.
post #15 of 41
My cell phone costs maybe $9 a month on a family plan. These data costs are insane. I use the internet heavily at work and home. That does not mean I need it while driving. My iTouch works great on the $0 per month data plan. Unlimited bandwidth.
post #16 of 41
Will we be able to tether our non-3G iPad to the iPhone now?
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Well... isn't that exactly what it is? If you ignore the tethering capability, ATT is giving you 2 GB for $20 and 4 for $45. You get free tethering with that higher plan now. Look at it that way and it appears that your wish is granted.

Actually, it's even better. If you ignore the GB limits and ignore the prices, then you are getting unlimited bandwidth and unlimited tethering, all for free.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post

Will we be able to tether our non-3G iPad to the iPhone now?

This should be possible with the iOS 4.3 update and it's WiFi hotspot capability.
post #19 of 41
So Att wants $20 to enable wifi hot spots on its phones (probably the first phone mentioned is android based) when $30 from the good old days was unlimited for the phone? I guess now if you tether now you just use the wifi hot spot feature.

Sad.
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

If they made tethering as easy as activating/deactivating 3G on my iPad I'd consider adding it on an as needed basis. I'd even drop my grandfathered $30 plan to do so.

I'm with you. Occasionally this would be very useful, but I dpn't need it every month.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

$25 for 2GB, $45 for 4GB, and tether or not at your own discretion...

I won't give up my $30 unlimited plan but

$30 Unlimited plan + $15 for tethering/hotspot hmmm
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

from what it looks like you can only do tethering if you have the $20 datapro plan.
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

So Att wants $20 to enable wifi hot spots on its phones (probably the first phone mentioned is android based) when $30 from the good old days was unlimited for the phone? I guess now if you tether now you just use the wifi hot spot feature.

And it has been almost 2 years since they promised tethering for iphones to computers and they still haven't enabled it? Now this?

Sad.

It has been enabled for like a year...You seem rather confused...
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

This is the one reason I would go to Verizon. Unlimited data for the phone + capped tethering is fine. Why AT&T makes me give up my unlimited data to get tethering is beyond me..
post #25 of 41
As much as I can understand why carriers would want you to pay extra for tethering if they offer you a really unlimited data plan, I find it absolutely outrageous that they make you pay for the data twice like AT&T did. I wouldn't be surprised if this newfound extra bonus bandwidth that comes with the tethering option wasn't to thwart class action lawsuits.
Meanwhile, I'm OK with my grandfathered "unlimited" 5GB at $30 (another rip-off and class action waiting to happen, can you say deceptive advertising?) and jailbroken iPhone 4 with MyWi. Screw AT&T. They're getting enough money from me already!
post #26 of 41
As usual, AT&T looks to cheat its customers. How many times are they going to try to sell a customer THE SAME DATA !
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

It has been enabled for like a year...You seem rather confused...

Ok found that they did it when they changed the data plans originally. Still lame.
post #28 of 41
I have a Palm Pixi Plus and I pay $29 for unlimited data and FREE wifi hotspot capability for up to 5 devices. I had an iPhone with ATT but had to switch to Verizon September of last year. Have to admit that the WebOS isn't half bad and I'm liking the small, lightweight size of the phone. Doesn't have nearly the apps, but the free hotspot is a much better trade off for when I meet with a client or travel.

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

post #29 of 41
Well I have the grandfathered $30 unlimited plan, but I travel enough with my macbook air and ipad that I really do want this feature.

So...even though I am going from $30 unlimited to $45 for 4 gig with tethering...it's not a problem if I don't need more that 4 gig a month.

That is a lot of data isn't it?
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Ingenious people who refuse to be extorted are pirates.
Think Different - but only if it doesn't hurt the bottom line... then we prefer you don't think at all.

Lots of love

- Corporate America

xo

If you cannot afford it don't buy it.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

As usual, AT&T looks to cheat its customers. How many times are they going to try to sell a customer THE SAME DATA !

How so?

I see $40 for 4gb of data and $5 for tethering. The rest is just complaining just to complain.
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Well, to be fair, you're at least getting double the bandwidth, which they arguably should have done from the beginning. Paying extra and not getting extra data was a dumb decision on their part. It jives with Verizon's hotspot features which runs $20 for 2gb, however AT&T's overage cost is far less than Verizon's at only $10 per GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Well I have the grandfathered $30 unlimited plan, but I travel enough with my macbook air and ipad that I really do want this feature.

So...even though I am going from $30 unlimited to $45 for 4 gig with tethering...it's not a problem if I don't need more that 4 gig a month.

That is a lot of data isn't it?

Best way to find out if 4 gigs will be enough for you is to head over to AT&T's website and check out your data trends. In almost 3 years of owning a smartphone I've never gone above 3gb in a single month (average around 1.5), and that's when I'm purposefully trying to use it up. I don't watch a lot of video on 3G save for youtube, but I do occassionally stream live radio from TWiT and Pandora.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post

I have a Palm Pixi Plus

I think you're the only one.
post #34 of 41
Too much free WiFi in the world for me to care.
post #35 of 41
How about roll over GB? When I had a 3G card in my notebook I generally used only a few hundred MBs per month - but when traveling for work it was more like 2GB on average with an occasional 5GB month.
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

If you cannot afford it don't buy it.

Ahh yes - the ol' bend-over and take it like a man argument.
Nothing like stripping people of rights - then trying to sell them back to them.
This must be the famous 'American Dream' we all hear so much about.
post #37 of 41
Quote:

Nothing like stripping people of rights - then trying to sell them back to them.

Addendum: If you can't afford it, don't buy it. When enough people refuse to pay for it, they'll be forced to change.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #38 of 41
Quote:

Ahh yes - the ol' bend-over and take it like a man argument.
This must be the famous 'American Dream' we all hear so much about.

Yes, I believe the right to have goods and services sold to you at rates you find equitable is enshrined in the Constitution. It's a shame, how in the intervening years since the signing of that noble document, we have degenerated into this "charging what I think I can get" mentality. It's troubling to note that Hitler got his start running a fruit stand and demanding insane prices for the bananas. Coincidence?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #39 of 41
I'm on the 25$ data pro plan with 2 gigs of data. How exactly do I get 4?
post #40 of 41
My understanding is that you can turn tethering on and off as needed. You'll be billed something like 80 cents per day I suppose.

My question: How do they determine how much data can be consumed per day if you only have it on for 24 hours? Does all your data consumption for that day including NON-tethered access count against the total?

Thanks...
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T to expand tethering data cap to 4GB for $45 per month