or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy

Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy

post #1 of 43
In anticipation of "unprecedented demand" that could outstrip the initial supply of CDMA iPhone 4s, Verizon Wireless has sent a corporate memo strongly urging its employees to hold off on buying the handset for themselves and their families "for the time being."

Customers and non-customers alike have waited for years to see this product on Americas most reliable wireless network. Demand will be unprecedented," wrote Verizon Wireless Chief Operating Officer John Stratton in an email sent to "U.S.-Based Management Employees," a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider.

"To help ensure we meet customer demand for iPhones, Verizon is urging employees and their families to postpone purchases of the popular smartphone, whether online or in retail stores, for the time being," the email said.

In the email, which carries the subject "Focus on Customer Is Key to Verizon iPhone Launch," Stratton highlight the Feb. 10 launch of the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 as a chance "to show those millions of people what it means to be a Verizon customer -- providing them the best network, joined by the very best customer service and support, all adding up to a world-class customer experience."

Part of that experience is ensuring were able to meet our customers needs in the midst of what will surely be unprecedented customer demand," the email continued. I know customers arent the only ones who are excited employees are, too. While I share your excitement, over the coming weeks we all need to do our part to meet our customers needs -- this means putting our customers first.

After all, thats the way we do business. Thats the Verizon Credo in action. This is an historic moment in time to rally together and show our loyal customers and new ones what our culture is all about.

Earlier Wednesday, Apple issued a press release reminding Verizon customers that they can preorder the iPhone 4 starting at 3 a.m. Eastern, midnight Pacific on Feb. 3.

Qualified customers will also be able to order the Verizon iPhone 4 on Wednesday, Feb. 9 through the Apple online store for delivery, or reserve for in-store pick-up beginning Feb. 10.

Verizon has said it will have a flawless execution of the iPhone launch, though limited supply is a concern for the carrier. Last week, the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. confirmed rumors that it had hired thousands of customer service representatives to handle the iPhone launch.

For its part, Apple admitted, during its first quarter 2011 earnings call, that it was having trouble keeping up with demand for the iPhone 4. Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said their efforts were "not enough."

"We do still have a significant backlog," Cook said. "We are working around the clock to build more." According to Cook, Apple expects "huge" results from the Verizon launch, but is unable to predict when supply and demand will equal.
post #2 of 43
No problem, there are many Android phones and they play flash.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

I am sure most of them will just wait...
post #4 of 43
Quote:

Yes, apparently there are many trolls too...
post #5 of 43
Wow.
That really doesn't sound too good. I really don't want to hear about "...unable to meet demand".
I know some people think that's a great thing because that problem illustrates (obviously) high demand. But it's really not a good thing.
post #6 of 43
While I like the thought behind it, I think it's important that the front lines at Verizon (and any provider), the salespeople are users of the phone that their customers will be asking about. It's really tough to put on an act like you know a phone when you've only used it for an hour in a group of 20 other salespeople.
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After all, thats the way we do business. Thats the Verizon Credo in action. This is an historic moment in time to rally together and show our loyal customers and new ones what our culture is all about.

Oh boy. Here is another statement with a large potential to cause embarrassment.
post #8 of 43
I'd expect a little bonus compensation for holding off on buying a phone. Otherwise I'm just another customer really.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #9 of 43
Urge all you want, but I wouldnt hold off just because someone in my family worked for minimum wage at a Verizon kiosk!
post #10 of 43
Once again, perfect timing by Apple.
post #11 of 43
I have several friends on Verizon who are ready to replace their Android phones with iPhones. None of them care about Flash.

Quote:

post #12 of 43
Its a far better situation than bragging you've shipped 10 million phones but have only sold 2 million.

We already know Apple won't be able to meet demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Wow.
That really doesn't sound too good. I really don't want to hear about "...unable to meet demand".
I know some people think that's a great thing because that problem illustrates (obviously) high demand. But it's really not a good thing.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Yes, apparently there are many trolls too...

I could be wrong, but I think fuwafuwa was trying to be sarcastic......
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Oh boy. Here is another statement with a large potential to cause embarrassment.

Exactly. What are they going to do -- get every customer that walks in the door to buy an iPhone to sign a sworn statement that they are not friends and family to Verizon employees?!
post #15 of 43
That's crazy! Their employees need to know how to use what they are selling!
Customer: Can you tell me how this works?
Employee: No, we're not allowed to have one yet.

Idiots!
post #16 of 43
Probably the opposite to that really.
Low-paid Verizon sales people will probably hold back stock for friends and families .
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly. What are they going to do -- get every customer that walks in the door to buy an iPhone to sign a sworn statement that they are not friends and family to Verizon employees?!

Probably a few Verizon employees will hide a few iPhone in the back and say they're out of iPhones.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgspb View Post

Idiots!

Are you assuming the customers are as idiot as android fanboys? Even toddlers can operate without explanation.
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I have several friends on Verizon who are ready to replace their Android phones with iPhones. None of them care about Flash.

I have 2 friends who are die hard android fans, they bought the n1 unlocked, and they do not care about flash either.
post #20 of 43
And THIS is why Verizon didn't launch before Christmas 2010. Also, the AT&T exclusivity deal was probably still in effect.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgspb View Post

Idiots!

And that, my friend, is the difference between the phones you buy and the iPhone. While I assume there is a manual for the iPhone (and the myriad other products that Apple sells) it's going to require fewer technicians in the store to support the device.

It is an awkward message from Verizon - c'mon, the appeal to the Verizon Credo?? The only reason this is news at all is because of all the anticipated hype leading up to Big Red's release of the iPhone. It's actually been less hyped than I had expected. But go Apple! I hope one day the phone is on the carrier I'm with!
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

While I like the thought behind it, I think it's important that the front lines at Verizon (and any provider), the salespeople are users of the phone that their customers will be asking about. It's really tough to put on an act like you know a phone when you've only used it for an hour in a group of 20 other salespeople.

That's my thinking. They should have has a special allotment for Verizon employees perhaps made available on 2/9.
post #23 of 43
Reply to all the comments about people not caring about Flash - I have an Android phone with Flash. I can't begin to describe what a miserable experience it is. Slow and meaningless for interaction anyway since it's not designed for a touch screen experience. It needs the precision of a mouse not a swipe or a pinch. Fie on Flash. It's a bullet point in a brochure and no more to me.
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

That's my thinking. They should have has a special allotment for Verizon employees perhaps made available on 2/9.

Not taking a stance on how Verizon employees and family should respond to this appeal by the bosses but that what training is for. How do they learn if they just got the phone themselves anyway? I'd want them to be prepared not learning from what they did on their phones the day before.
post #25 of 43
There is so much I would love to say regarding what this release article implies versus what was really said, however, I need my job.
post #26 of 43
Of course, since we're not dealing with HP "extraordinary demand" means Verizon is planning on selling more than 2,000 units (altogether).

For a phone I hear so many people bashing when I'm out and about there certainly is a lot of demand for them ... must mean there either a lot of people out there that love a phone that is inferior, or there must be a lot of haters that refuse to live in reality.
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Not taking a stance on how Verizon employees and family should respond to this appeal by the bosses but that what training is for. How do they learn if they just got the phone themselves anyway? I'd want them to be prepared not learning from what they did on their phones the day before.

I agree that training is important. However, no reasonable amount of training is going to provide the kind of familiarity that using a device will. I only said 2/9 because Apple would simply not allow more than a day - even then there would be so many unauthorized pictures and accounts it would make my head spin.
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiztdWun View Post

There is so much I would love to say regarding what this release article implies versus what was really said, however, I need my job.

Yeah? Because the article doesn't really imply anything, it just purports to be quoting directly from a copy of an email they got a hold of.

Are you saying they're misquoting the email, or that no such email was sent out?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #29 of 43
Even thought the iPhone is pretty idiot proof,you would think Verizon would want their salesmen to have the phone as well. Idk about anyone else but I know that when i personally walk into the att store in my mall, I look at the phones that the sales reps have on their waists. Unless Verizon is going to offer a discount for employees who wait I'd say screw waiting even longer.
post #30 of 43
I'll stick my neck out and predict a lack of pent up demand... This week the media will seek ways to generate hype around the Verizon iphone while next week it quickly fades. The story will be 'the non-event'. Verizon/Apple won't disclose lackluster iphone sales for several weeks while attention is diverted toward ipad 2.

Reasons being: the iphone is not new, Verizon has successfully penetrated the smartphone market, vast majority are still on contact (on all carriers), it's the old model with iphone 4g/5 around the corner, ATT owners are being given more reasons to stay, and it's one of many choices in a single form factor.

Sure, hundreds of thousands will be sold, but this will not be a launch like we are used to seeing and it won't have any considerable effect on the current trend in market share.
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah? Because the article doesn't really imply anything, it just purports to be quoting directly from a copy of an email they got a hold of.

Are you saying they're misquoting the email, or that no such email was sent out?

I am not saying the article is inaccurate. What I am saying is the email that was released.....well.....paints a friendlier version of the reality.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"we all need to do our part to meet our customers needs -- this means putting our customers first.

After all, thats the way we do business. Thats the Verizon Credo in action."

I can't recall the last time I heard such BS! Well, yes, I can, but what a load of crap!

Verizon Math! 1 + 1 = 11.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #33 of 43
It seems that many of you have forgotten that AT&T did not allow their employees to buy an iPhone when it was first launched. It was months before they were allowed to get one, but it's not like they weren't trained on the phone. They were thoroughly prepped on the hardware they were selling, and I expect that the same will be true with Verizon.
post #34 of 43
I'm starting to get goosebumps because I feel that iPhone sales are going to be huge. Somebody pinch me. With all those Flash-playing, large-display Android smartphones available with lowered prices, there's likely to be millions of Verizon subscribers begging to get their hands on an almost year-old model iPhone. Oh, the humanity for the Android fanbois who believe that Android is taking over the world and leaving Apple in shambles. I'm so anxious to see if the iPhone won't suffer from "death grip" problems and dropped calls to prove that the iPhone wasn't really the culprit but AT&T's network was at fault.

Three million iPhones sold within the first month should be easy. Supposedly, Apple has stockpiled as many as five million Verizon iPhones upon launch. Are they really anxious they'll exceed that amount? I'm sure the Android fanbois are saying it's just more of the Apple hype machine at work. Go, Apple.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiztdWun View Post

I am not saying the article is inaccurate. What I am saying is the email that was released.....well.....paints a friendlier version of the reality.

Friendlier to Apple or friendlier to Verizon employees?
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

I'll stick my neck out and predict a lack of pent up demand... This week the media will seek ways to generate hype around the Verizon iphone while next week it quickly fades. The story will be 'the non-event'. Verizon/Apple won't disclose lackluster iphone sales for several weeks while attention is diverted toward ipad 2.

Reasons being: the iphone is not new, Verizon has successfully penetrated the smartphone market, vast majority are still on contact (on all carriers), it's the old model with iphone 4g/5 around the corner, ATT owners are being given more reasons to stay, and it's one of many choices in a single form factor.

Sure, hundreds of thousands will be sold, but this will not be a launch like we are used to seeing and it won't have any considerable effect on the current trend in market share.

Don't stick your neck out too far or some angry iPhone-using samurai will use it for kubikiri practice. Hundreds of thousands? You've got to be kidding? There's 93 million Verizon subscribers and you think that only a few hundred thousand iPhones will be sold. Yeah, maybe in the first 24 hours. Jeez.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Yeah, maybe in the first 24 hours. Jeez.

I guess you wanted to say minutes.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I could be wrong, but I think fuwafuwa was trying to be sarcastic......

Yes I read it that way too.
Flash what is that ? There was once a laundry washing powder or house cleaning liquid called Flash.
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Reply to all the comments about people not caring about Flash - I have an Android phone with Flash. I can't begin to describe what a miserable experience it is. Slow and meaningless for interaction anyway since it's not designed for a touch screen experience. It needs the precision of a mouse not a swipe or a pinch. Fie on Flash. It's a bullet point in a brochure and no more to me.

Yeah, but its got Flash !
Just like the Communist youth movement in USSR that would shout pro-party slogans as mindless stooges, now its the fandroids with their "Its Open" etc. It gets so tiresome hearing this non-stop, will they ever stop ?
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Don't stick your neck out too far or some angry iPhone-using samurai will use it for kubikiri practice. Hundreds of thousands? You've got to be kidding? There's 93 million Verizon subscribers and you think that only a few hundred thousand iPhones will be sold. Yeah, maybe in the first 24 hours. Jeez.

You bit and took the bait, but sometimes its okay to respond to trolls/Apple-Haters.
I will pseudo bite by responding to him/her via your comment.
They will sell millions, no doubt, why ? Because of what happen with the previous launch of the iPhone 4, easily the most beautiful phone ever made. I bought one for my wife, and l will buy one when my contract expires with my 3GS.
A one year old or even a 2 year old iPhone 4 beats the pants of any of the android crap out there.
Saw my first android phone today up close, a HTC Legend, plastic piece of crap with some Al, what a pathetic piece of garbage, I wouldn't take one even if you paid me.
The general public loves the iPhone and will swamp the sales.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy