or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad - Page 4

post #121 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yes, they're a fork of Android.

Fork you!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #122 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So basically Android 3.0 is Geek/Tech Savvy optimized. iOS is grandma, mom, sister, kid, doctor, accountant, numb nuts, George W. Bush, Jessica Simpson, the dude who's got better things to do than f*#k around with widgets customization, and pretty much everyone else optimized.

True but with one correction.

One doesn't have to be a dumbass to be an iOS user, one just has to be someone who doesn't understand detailed technological management and just wants the device to work like the information appliance it really is.

So, you could be a genius but still not know about computers.

This is the classic mistake that all geeks make. The idea that people who don't know or care about the technical side of computer management are "dumb," when in fact they are just people who care about different things.

All kinds of scientists and nobel prize winning writers and artists (with IQ's higher than most of the guys who actually program Android!), are in this camp. They use Macs and now iOS devices only because they don't want to spend time learning all the ins and outs of computer stuff. That doesn't make them dumb.
post #123 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

True but with one correction.

One doesn't have to be a dumbass to be an iOS user, one just has to be someone who doesn't understand detailed technological management and just wants the device to work like the information appliance it really is.

So, you could be a genius but still not know about computers.

This is the classic mistake that all geeks make. The idea that people who don't know or care about the technical side of computer management are "dumb," when in fact they are just people who care about different things.

All kinds of scientists and nobel prize winning writers and artists (with IQ's higher than most of the guys who actually program Android!), are in this camp. They use Macs and now iOS devices only because they don't want to spend time learning all the ins and outs of computer stuff. That doesn't make them dumb.

And why with an Android phone do you have to spend time learning all the ins and outs?
post #124 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yes, they're a fork of Android.

With all the stuff that makes Android Android removed.
post #125 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

With all the stuff that makes Android Android removed.

Yes? Which stuff?
post #126 of 282
Not really related to this discussion, but the New York Times is reporting a rumor that Nokia plans to abandon Symbian and adopt Windows Phone 7 for its smartphones: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/te...y/04nokia.html

Quote:
BERLIN Shares of Nokia, the mobile phone market leader, climbed for a fourth day on Thursday amid speculation that the company may be poised to announce a software alliance with Microsoft designed to revive its struggling U.S. smartphone business.

Nokias shares have risen more than 4 percent since Monday when an analyst, Adnaan Ahmad of Berenberg Bank in Hamburg, urged the Nokia chief executive and former Microsoft executive Stephen Elop, to form an alliance that would put Microsofts Phone operating system on Nokias advanced smartphones.
post #127 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I don't think it's better than iOS, but it is different.

Android has been ahead of iOS on pretty much everything since day one: multitasking, security, input methods, widgets, app integration, ease of development. Give it another year or two and Apple will talk about widgets as if they invented them.

Quote:
Looks like more fragmentation for Android OS/devices.

No more than iPhone/iPad: there are a few apps that run only on high-end devices, everything else runs on all devices.
post #128 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

You're a fool if you think Apple is protecting you from that. Apple's review process cannot catch any of that, as several high profile blunders have shown where people smuggled secret functionality into apps that were only pulled when people started telling Apple about it. At best, Apple can pull dangerous apps from the App Store once they get user complaints. But that's the same thing Google does with Market ...

For someone calling others a fool, you are sure making some illogical statements here.

For starters, the idea that Apple can't stop malicious apps because some of these have already gotten through and been discovered after the fact in no way at all proves your hypothesis. You imply that there are possibly apps that have "gotten through" that no one knows anything about and also that the fact that they got through at all means that Apple has no way of stopping such things. But you have no data and no idea of how many apps might have been "caught" by Apple and therefore never released. That data isn't available, so you simply can't know it.

The data that is available proves the reverse of what you are asserting. What *actually* happened is that out of hundreds of thousands of apps, a very tiny number "got through" with some unknown of malicious content. These however, were immediately discovered and removed or altered until they were harmless again.

Needless to say this is a record of great success, not one of failure as you claim.
post #129 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yes, they're a fork of Android.

Which are meaningless for Android app developers.
post #130 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yes? Which stuff?

All of the proprietary Google stuff, including the Marketplace, and they have their own separate SDKs.

These OSs are simply not part of the Android ecosystem.
post #131 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

All of the proprietary Google stuff, including the Marketplace, and they have their own separate SDKs.

These OSs are simply not part of the Android ecosystem.

Ups, Google stuff is not part of Android
post #132 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezmo View Post

Honeycomb looks very slick to me. One thing they got right is to not require a home button. It makes no sense in a tablet, specially in portrait mode....

You obviously know nothing about industrial design.
post #133 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Please! They get 100,000 apps a month to review of course they aren't going to catch everything. Google lets everyone play and they still only have 100k in apps.

Be that as it may, the fact remains: security is a much bigger concern on iOS than on Android, because the only thing between you and a Chinese data thief on iOS is an overworked app reviewer who has already shown they are completely incapable of catching anything.
post #134 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So basically Android 3.0 is Geek/Tech Savvy optimized. iOS is grandma, mom, sister, kid, doctor, accountant, numb nuts, George W. Bush, Jessica Simpson, the dude who's got better things to do than f*#k around with widgets customization, and pretty much everyone else optimized.

iOS requires you to install iTunes and sync regularly. Android phones and tablets do everything over the air; you turn them on and they just work, sync, and update automatically.

Most people have better things to do than futz around with desktop apps and syncing just in order to read a book or browse the web.

iOS's tedious integration with iTunes (which is itself a p.o.s.) is one of the reasons I'm using my iPad less and less.
post #135 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

If you are happy with your Tab, then go away. All 15 million iPad users are probably not as smart as you are and Steve Jobs will be phoning you in a few minutes for advice on how to save Apple computer. Please help.

Steve Jobs has other things to worry about right now. And if you look at the sales numbers, iPhone is already losing market share, and it's going to be the same with iPad.

Apple rushes premium and premium-priced products to market to cash in on new trends. It's what the company has been doing since their very first products. The market always belongs to someone else in the end.
post #136 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

This is silly case. Why the blogger provide link to Android market but only provide application name for iPhone user? Clever blogger can copy the app's iTunes link and put in his blog. When iPhone user tap the link, it will open App Store application, buy, download, then back to Safari. Second, I may have several iDevice registered with 1 iTunes account. My wife doesn't want a soccer game installed automatically on her iPod, as I don't want cooking apps on my iPhone either. That's cool Android feature, but geeky and provides almost no value.

I figured they could do the same. But with their link method, you still have to go the extra step of syncing your iDevice with iTunes before the app actually appears on the device, yes? Google has automated and made the sync wireless for you. That's where the value is added.

As for your comment about not wanting apps appear on other devices. It seems the webstore Market allows for you to select/deselect which device you have registered to your Google account to download to when you hit the install button. It's not a "spam all devices under the user account" deal.

Apple is all about the "magical" right? Then for this case, tell me what's more magical. Having to attach the device to the desktop/laptop with a cable to sync the information to the device. Or have the information appear on the device without having to touch it?

I really don't see why you're so set against it.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #137 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Ups, Google stuff is not part of Android

An interesting argument, but, in fact, it's the proprietary Google stuff that makes Android Android. Without that all you have is just another Linux smartphone.
post #138 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

An interesting argument, but, in fact, it's the proprietary Google stuff that makes Android Android. Without that all you have is just another Linux smartphone.

No, without GMail or Google Maps you have only an Android device withouth those programs, nothing less, nothing more.
post #139 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

Steve Jobs has other things to worry about right now. And if you look at the sales numbers, iPhone is already losing market share, and it's going to be the same with iPad.

Apple rushes premium and premium-priced products to market to cash in on new trends. It's what the company has been doing since their very first products. The market always belongs to someone else in the end.


iPhone's market share dropped only because Apple couldn't supply enough of it to satisfy all demand, and that there are inevitably people who find BOGO or some other similar discounted deal more important than the device itself. Those will turn out to be poor customers for the apps and contents in Android markets.

So you think markets always belong to someone else because Apple products are "premium priced". Remind me who owns the portable music player market right now, and how soon will Apple be completely driven out of it.
post #140 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post

You created this account to type this

So someone is interested in the discussion, creates an account just to share their thoughts, and then you crap all over their very first post?
Who's the fool then? I don't think it's her/him.
post #141 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

No, without GMail or Google Maps you have only an Android device withouth those programs, nothing less, nothing more.

Okay... so tell me this...

Can you install Android 2.2 or any other Android os other than Tapas on a Tapas phone?
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #142 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

No, without GMail or Google Maps you have only an Android device withouth those programs, nothing less, nothing more.

And what do you have without Android apps or the Android Marketplace?

OPhone (OMS) and Tapas are much much less Android than Ubuntu is Debian.
post #143 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Okay... so tell me this...

Can you install Android 2.2 or any other Android os other than Tapas on a Tapas phone?

Ein? If there are drivers yes, but this porting doesn't mean nothing about OMS or Tapas being Android or not.
post #144 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You're in the wrong place. Try MacRumors or MacWorld.

This is a ridiculous comment. MacRumours in particular is a fan-boy shouting match. AppleInsider is one of the least biased rumour sites out there, and I've visited most of them daily for many years now.

Also, even though it's likely no one will believe it, Daniel's articles (arguably the most editorial on the site and therefore potentially the most biased), are actually not that biased at all. He has been caught in direct mistakes perhaps twice in the whole time he's been writing for Apple Insider, and while he does editorialise, he only really gently exaggerates a few things here and there, and usually by omission.

Try it yourself. Go through his articles either here or on his own site and try to disprove the things he says. While you might find a lot of slightly misleading stuff, he hardly ever directly lies or makes a mistake and overall the accuracy of his predictions is quite high. He also has a great historical insight and is able to "place" topics within that history so they are more understandable.

People are fond of dumping on him, but if you check the facts the story looks a bit different. It's just that the average Internet troll or fandroid doesn't have the intellectual capacity, and isn't willing to spend the time to check the details out, they just scream "fanboy!" and run away.

Writing detailed insightful articles and making sense is actually a lot harder than most trolls assume it is.
post #145 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Ein? If there are drivers yes, but this porting doesn't mean nothing about OMS or Tapas being Android or not.

It would make it a separate os if you can't port any other Android system to a Tapas phone... wouldn't it?
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #146 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

He has been caught in direct mistakes perhaps twice in the whole time he's been writing for Apple Insider, and while he does editorialise, he only really gently exaggerates a few things here and there, and usually by omission.


Really? Only on this article there is a bunch of mistakes and omissions.
post #147 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It would make it a separate os if you can't port any other Android system to a Tapas phone... wouldn't it?

No, it only means that you doesn't have all the drivers for this hardware
post #148 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

No, it only means that you doesn't have all the drivers for this hardware

Are you absolutely positive about this?
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #149 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Are you absolutely positive about this?

Yes, you can port Android to HTC H2 or iPhone 3GS but it doesn't mean they are Android phones.

You can't port now Android 2.3 to Galaxy S but it doesn't mean it's not Android
post #150 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yes, you can port Android to HTC H2 or iPhone 3GS but it doesn't mean they are Android phones.

You can't port now Android 2.3 to Galaxy S but it doesn't mean it's not Android

Okay... so this really supports the fragmentation argument and backs up somewhat what Anonymouse is trying to say... without the Android/Google ecosystem these phones become less and less like Android phones and more like some other animal... regardless of the fact that they are android variants.

At least that's how I see it... and I'm your typical iOS user... smart (I know that's in question but at least my iq is above average) but can't be bothered with all the technical wizardry.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #151 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yes, you can port Android to HTC H2 or iPhone 3GS but it doesn't mean they are Android phones.

You can't port now Android 2.3 to Galaxy S but it doesn't mean it's not Android

Interesting. Can you tell us exactly what makes a phone an Android phone?
post #152 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Interesting. Can you tell us exactly what makes a phone an Android phone?

One which is sold with an Android OS?
post #153 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

One which is sold with an Android OS?

So not Tapas...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #154 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

At least that's how I see it... and I'm your typical iOS user... smart (I know that's in question but at least my iq is above average) but can't be bothered with all the technical wizardry.

I haven't questioned intelligence of anyone. People who question intelligence for using some phone (Android, iOS, etc) defines themselves.

Ah, my wife doesn't bother about technical wizardry and she has a Nexus One and hasn't spent time learning how to use it.
post #155 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So not Tapas...

Tapas is an Android variant.
post #156 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Doesn't look appealing to me, but then, I think the iPad is dumb also. Who wants a laptop with no keyboard? Who wants a cellphone you can't fit in your pocket. Ok, all those iPad sales say I'm wrong. I guess people have more money than brains.

Not at all. A lot of very smart folks get iPads for a number of reasons. All related to what it can do, rather than what it can't. The larger size, no requirement for a physical keyboard or pen are part of the appeal.

Even tv has picked up the tablet game and more and more shows, especially crime stuff, are showing folks flipping through digital crime scene photo collections etc. And yes many are using iPads not faked out devices.

The problem with many of these other boys is that they are designing based on what the iPad is not. It is not something that fits in the pocket, we'll make our small enough that it does. It is not supporting Flash, ours does (forget that mobile Flash rather sucks at the moment). It does not make phone call, well ours does. In the end those things don't win over the masses. Just as this new OS likely won't. Time will tell if it wins enough of the geeks etc to be a challenger in those worlds.
post #157 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Tapas is an Android variant.

a fragmentation, if you will...

post #158 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

One which is sold with an Android OS?

So, you aren't sure?
post #159 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, you aren't sure?

I'm sure, the interrogation is a expression form only
post #160 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrolu View Post

I didn't say that. An iPhone user can't browse iTunes on the computer and have it automatically load to the phone. That was my point.

What is the real difference between the Google way and just using the phone itself to buy stuff (without needing a computer at all). For most folks the difference is none.

Quote:
You are right, but again, that's a different point altogether. The point the author made was about iTunes accounts and credit cards, not worldwide presence.

so can I link my paypal to my Google account. Can I grab a gift card paid with cash at the grocery store and apply it to my Google account. On my device even. For much of the public this is a big deal cause they are paranoid about putting credit cards and bank links online
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad