or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 282
Here is the fundamental issue, it the same as MS has always had, software companies do no do hardward. There is a saying Hardward engineers can design hardware and BTW they usually know how to wrote code as well, however, software engineers can not design hardware.

There is no way that Google can have a tight integration with the hardware, ask your self who's hardware design did Google spend all this time optimizing as they said. Was it with the Xoom or something else, who knows.

Android eco-system is starting to see the pains of windows of years pass which was it work on one system but it does not work well with another, and god forbid you loaded some software it it interfered with other software. So when something does not work, who do you call, Motorola, Samsung, .... or Google (ops forgot they do not answer support calls) or do you call the poor app developer who may or may not have the time to deal with your issue and is not convince it is even his problem.

As much as all the people talk about apple is close and proprietary and open wins every time, however, they forget that people today just want something that works, since they are tired of the MS model or pointing the fingers around.

Think about it this way, how many of you buy your car in pieces and then just to find someone who will take responsibility for it when it not working the way you expect.
post #82 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Yup, Android is chased out to Asia & Africa where RIM & Nokia are waiting.

Asia where on Q3 2010 Android surpassed Symbian?
post #83 of 282
Android fans are going to be all over this thing. It's an andronerd's wet dream.

I don't think it's better than iOS, but it is different. It's nice to see that Google didn't just blatantly copy Apple outright like M$ does.

I don't think Apple should change their tablet interface much, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like the equivalent of dashboard for the iPad, vertical scrolling of apps instead of 'page-swiping' only, and customization of size and spacing for app icons.

Looks like more fragmentation for Android OS/devices.

Interesting article with some good info, but it does have an obvious DED spin.

Honeycomb is likely to bring better productivity apps to tablets than iOS. Apple needs to step up their game in this respect. The iPad needs to be more than just a consumption device, and clearly Honeycomb is taking Android tablets in the direction of useful tools. There is no reason Apple can't do the same with iPad, and do it better.
post #84 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Flame if you want but I actually like the idea that Google have sat down, thought about how they would want a 10" tablet interface to work, and then customized Android from the ground up for that interface.

What Google have created is something distinctly different from what the iPad offers. I can't say I'm personally be interested is buying one, but I appreciate that Google are offering an alternative.

We can't Google-bash when they copy what Apple does and then Google-bash again when they don't.

What can you really tell from one screen shot and no hands on experience with it?????
post #85 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Flame if you want but I actually like the idea that Google have sat down, thought about how they would want a 10" tablet interface to work, and then customized Android from the ground up for that interface.

What Google have created is something distinctly different from what the iPad offers. I can't say I'm personally be interested is buying one, but I appreciate that Google are offering an alternative.

We can't Google-bash when they copy what Apple does and then Google-bash again when they don't.

Exactly. I love how Honeycomb brings features I'd expect on a desktop/laptop level OS into the tablet world and retains all the features of its phone version. For example, the rich notifications that fade into a simple tray icon. Gets your attention quickly, but doesn't get into your face, requiring you deal with it then and now. And the multitasking previews of where you left the app off a la Windows Vista/7.

This is definitely not just a bigger Android phone (like the Galaxy Tab is).
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #86 of 282


Way to completely miss the boat on the "Android Market, on the web".

You don't ever need to connect to your computer to install apps, you buy the app on the web store and it automatically downloads to you phone/tablet.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/02/a...tore-hands-on/


Here's the entire Honeycomb presentation available online: http://www.youtube.com/android#p/u/0/RfJuigJebRg
post #87 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Android fans are going to be all over this thing. It's an andronerd's wet dream.

I don't think it's better than iOS, but it is different. It's nice to see that Google didn't just blatantly copy Apple outright like M$ does.

I don't think Apple should change their tablet interface much, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like the equivalent of dashboard for the iPad, vertical scrolling of apps instead of 'page-swiping' only, and customization of size and spacing for app icons.

Looks like more fragmentation for Android OS/devices.

Interesting article with some good info, but it does have an obvious DED spin.

Honeycomb is likely to bring better productivity apps to tablets than iOS. Apple needs to step up their game in this respect. The iPad needs to be more than just a consumption device, and clearly Honeycomb is taking Android tablets in the direction of useful tools. There is no reason Apple can't do the same with iPad, and do it better.

I'm sorry but what are you talking about when you say "Honeycomb is likely to bring better productivity apps"? What nonsense - an app is an app, not the OS home screen, and apple wins the app game hands down. Android also has a huge issue with developers not being able to make much money because the sales channels are a mess, and because android is the favorite with the hacking community that doesn't want to pay for anything.
post #88 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Yep I'm an iPad sheep. So are my family including a 7 year old who picked it up and was comfortable in its use after 5 mins, after 30 mins became fluent.
But I guess you fandroids don't get simplicity do you.
All fail with your reasoning that computers are complicated and for serious work and definitely not for the non-IT crowd.
How guess what ? I'm a computer programmer, but I still prefer the pure simplicity of my Apple products any day.
By the way your assertion that Android is the number 1 mobile OS is actually not true, I suggest you retract this and actually do some research, but I guess fandroids don't have to, right ?
Count iPod, iPad and iPhone which all are capable of using iOS4.2 (unlike android hardware that is fragmentation hell), iOS is way ahead of android OS. Your ignorance/lies are astonishing.

i agree.
android is like Windows 95. i reboot it quite a bit whereas i don't even remember how to do a hard reboot on the ipad...(i have had one user that actually needed a hard reboot on the ipad)
i like the idea of 'playing' with honeycomb and will probably get one but that doesn't mean it is any good. plus i still can't get netflix on android.
post #89 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Honeycomb doesn't requieres dual cores.

I do believe it came straight from Google's mouths that Honeycomb is optimized to take advantage of however many processor cores you have. Whether it's a single core phone of the present or dual core tablets and phones coming out soon.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #90 of 282
I just think that Apple has a large lead on Google, right now, but with its hard-nosed stance with developers and the fact that it dictates a lot of limitations in the device anddoesn't let the users decide (as in Flash), Google is going to eventually win this race. Developers have been tired of Apple's crap for some time now. As Google Android devices become more popular, and they will, you'll see a lot more developers move away from iOS and more toward Android.

As far as one device vs. the other, I think it remains to be seen. Apple's devices have strong points, as do Android devices. Just keep dismissing Google Android like GM, Ford, and Chrysler did the likes of Honda and Toyota and watch what happens. Android is going to become the Windows of mobile devices.
post #91 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

android is like Windows 95. i reboot it quite a bit



I think people come to this forum to joke, it can't be serious
post #92 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Um, Apple borrow anything from android, are you kidding me ?
We are talking about the spawn of the devil that was stolen by Google, remember this piece of history ? If you are going to post, try and make yourself look un-trollish as possible please.
As I stated repeatedly there will be thousands of android handsets and tables, the differentiation will be so blurred by the multitude of screen sizes, that soon no one will know whether its an android phone or tablet.
Then there will be the 20 - 30, if not more, versions of the android OS.
So Mr. Joe public will know which one to get will he ? Will he chance on "X", hoping that it can play Angry Birds ? Imagine him sitting there waiting months for an OS update, while tens of new android crap ware have hit the market with OS version n.n.
Tell me genius boy, how is the general product going to choose ?
I think android will increase in popularity with regards to tablets (there are after all geeks out there and cheap skates), but will soon be so over super saturated with their BOGO, that they will be a blur in the eyes of the consumer, who will be soon tire of having to many choices and start buying the iPad. So in effect androids early popularity will be it's undoing.

By the way, a couple of things, is having the greater market more profitable, Apple certainly doesn't think so ($57 billion cash reserves), hight stock value and share prices, but I guess that is irrelevant right ?
Also Samsung were caught out in their lies on galaxy tabs shipped vs actual sales, the same applies to android phones, and why wouldn't it. So I question the myth of android taking over the smart phone market. I hardly see them, but always see iPhones everywhere.

To add to this, people should see how ipod single handedly removed every competition in the long run. Is there any andriod player in that category that can repeat the success, I guess the answer is no. Iphone lost ground due to carrier lockup, Apple did learn from that and started pushing ipad to every possible retail channel. So, that when people go out there they can see an ipad and also a competition unlike the iphone. This itself is bigger challenge to overcome for google and company than having 3d home screen with loads of widgets. People love simple solutions & is the most difficult art to master also.
post #93 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Doesn't look appealing to me, but then, I think the iPad is dumb also. Who wants a laptop with no keyboard? Who wants a cellphone you can't fit in your pocket. Ok, all those iPad sales say I'm wrong. I guess people have more money than brains.

If the iPad and other new slate-style tablets had included stylus support through the use of buying a separate stylus (nice way to make a bit more profit for Apple and the others - and avoid charging people for something they may not need) and included true handwriting input similar to that included in Windows 7 then the iPad would have been a students most prized possession.

I would have snatched up an iPad if it had this one extra feature because it would have been truly usable in the classroom as a notepad. Typing on it to take notes is just too slow, but to have the option of just writing (especially for folks who use Kanji and Hangul) would have been grand! But I guess that wasn't in Steve Job's "vision". I wonder what Apple will do in the future once Jobs isn't with Apple any longer? I am not trying to show a lack of respect for Jobs, but it is pretty obvious what is going to happen in the near future.
post #94 of 282
Honeycomb is a very solid os from what I've seen so far. It has some webos guys on the design team and it shows. iOS is no slouch either. You may call it an app launcher but that is all I need a mobile os to be. I want the apps center stage, as I will not be looking at ui for more then a second until I find an app. Sure windows 7 wants me to just look at ui to see updates etc, but I prefer being in an app to see updates and reply to them. Don't care about flashy transitions, but again some do and honeycomb is ver good at that it seems and will appeal to a lot of users.

That said iOS is very good, intuitive, simple, powerful and unified. This appeals to a lot of users as well. iPad will not be losing sales volume but if the market grows android will of course gain marketshare of this growing pie.

IOS is the best mobile os because it's based on a solid foundation instead of a jvm, plus a controlled ecosystem is better for a mobile device, so there are not rogue data use as was the case with windows phone 7.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #95 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If the iPad and other new slate-style tablets had included stylus support through the use of buying a separate stylus (nice way to make a bit more profit for Apple and the others - and avoid charging people for something they may not need) and included true handwriting input similar to that included in Windows 7 then the iPad would have been a students most prized possession.

I would have snatched up an iPad if it had this one extra feature because it would have been truly usable in the classroom as a notepad. Typing on it to take notes is just too slow, but to have the option of just writing (especially for folks who use Kanji and Hangul) would have been grand! But I guess that wasn't in Steve Job's "vision". I wonder what Apple will do in the future once Jobs isn't with Apple any longer? I am not trying to show a lack of respect for Jobs, but it is pretty obvious what is going to happen in the near future.

Here is an iPad stylus if you want one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/r...3?a=B000BUI76S
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #96 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

plus a controlled ecosystem is better for a mobile device, so there are not rogue data use as was the case with windows phone 7.

Ein? WP7 is controlled like iOS
post #97 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

That's not important point, because we can do that on iPhone or Android. Or do you think iPhone user must use iTunes to buy and download apps? Even you can download apps as big as 1.4G OTA, while Android is limited to 25M.

Think of it this way. You're browsing your favorite tech blog and it mentions a cool app you'd love to have.

iOS (option 1): Open iTunes; search for app; purchase/download; find iPhone and sync

iOS (option 2): Find iPhone; find app in App Store; purchase/download

Android: Link on blog goes directly to webstore Market; purchase; phone/tablet automatically downloads and installs app

The point is that with the webstore Market, Android users don't have to stray away too far away from their browsing at hand to install an app. The OTA method is like a hybrid of the iOS methods, using the best of both.

Quote:
The laughable point is not that, but the fact that paid Android apps only offered in 9 countries. So what's the point of adding credit card to Google Checkout?

Actually, it's actually 34 major countries.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #98 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What can you really tell from one screen shot and no hands on experience with it?????

You do know there are numerous videos of Honeycomb in action right?
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #99 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

I'm sorry but what are you talking about when you say "Honeycomb is likely to bring better productivity apps"? What nonsense - an app is an app, not the OS home screen, and apple wins the app game hands down. Android also has a huge issue with developers not being able to make much money because the sales channels are a mess, and because android is the favorite with the hacking community that doesn't want to pay for anything.

With Honeycomb they have built the frameworks and the UI for productivity apps. "If you build it, they will come." Just wait, you'll see. Hacker community is immaterial.

Look, I'm a fan of Apple/iPad/iOS, but the facts are, iPad is not ready for real productivity, it's a consumption device. Just try to print, or plug a USB device into it. Ooops.
post #100 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post



I think people come to this forum to joke, it can't be serious

This entire thread for this story is a joke... that much I know...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #101 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Doesn't look appealing to me, but then, I think the iPad is dumb also. Who wants a laptop with no keyboard? Who wants a cellphone you can't fit in your pocket. Ok, all those iPad sales say I'm wrong. I guess people have more money than brains.

Or maybe they buy what suits their needs regardless of what some idiot thinks on a message board.
post #102 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

You're a fool if you think Apple is protecting you from that. Apple's review process cannot catch any of that, as several high profile blunders have shown where people smuggled secret functionality into apps that were only pulled when people started telling Apple about it. At best, Apple can pull dangerous apps from the App Store once they get user complaints. But that's the same thing Google does with Market.

Unlike iOS, however, where your applications run largely unprotected, Android's permission system actually enforces protections for apps, so if the app doesn't request access to personal information, you can be certain that it won't get any either.

Please! They get 100,000 apps a month to review of course they aren't going to catch everything. Google lets everyone play and they still only have 100k in apps.
post #103 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I agree that as of Feb 3, 2011, there are no viable competitors on the shelves. But Apple can't rest - Android (+Honeycomb, now) is RAPIDLY growing in numbers and accumulating features.

Here's how it shakes out, in my opinion:

iPad/iOS/Apple
+Beautiful hardware, elegant software - easy to use
+Best touch experience still
+Syncs perfectly with your iTunes, iPhoto, etc.
+Best apps in both quantity and quality
+Simple compatibility/device structure
+iWork suite opens up possibilities for office use
-Restrictive app policy
-VERY little customization (folders + wallpaper)
-archaic notification system
-Wasted UI possibilities on lock and home screen

Xoom/Honeycomb/Android/Google
+Very loose restrictions
+Brand new UI with customizable pages
+Allows skins, themes, moving backgrounds, etc.
+UI is good, but not great
-many different OS versions, many different devices/compatibilities
-App quality is low
-App profitability is low (no profit = no devs)
-hardware quality is variable (I like Google, but I'm hesitant to buy a Xoom from Motorola)

Of course, they're on two different timelines so it's hard to compare directly. It wouldn't be perfectly fair to compare the Xoom (sold zero devices, OS is not released to public) to the iPad which as moved 10 million devices in 9 months or something. The fairest comparison will probably have to wait until June...

Jan: Preview Honeycomb
Feb: Release Xoom
March(?): Preview iPad 2, Preview iOS 5 and/or release beta
April: Release iPad 2
June: Release iOS 5.0 to public

I don't like the lack of software and hardware support that comes with Android devices. With Android you are just stuck like chuck if something goes wrong.
post #104 of 282
I can already tell this is going to be a mess ... sticky just like honey.

I will say no thanks and stay with Apple's iPad, iPod, iPhone and iOs. There isn't a single Honeycomb feature that is compelling, but many that will complicate my life.
post #105 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

There isn't a single Honeycomb feature that is compelling, but many that will complicate my life.

Yes? Which ones?
post #106 of 282
deleted
post #107 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Think of it this way. You're browsing your favorite tech blog and it mentions a cool app you'd love to have.

iOS (option 1): Open iTunes; search for app; purchase/download; find iPhone and sync

iOS (option 2): Find iPhone; find app in App Store; purchase/download

Android: Link on blog goes directly to webstore Market; purchase; phone/tablet automatically downloads and installs app

The point is that with the webstore Market, Android users don't have to stray away too far away from their browsing at hand to install an app. The OTA method is like a hybrid of the iOS methods, using the best of both.

This is silly case. Why the blogger provide link to Android market but only provide application name for iPhone user? Clever blogger can copy the app's iTunes link and put in his blog. When iPhone user tap the link, it will open App Store application, buy, download, then back to Safari. Second, I may have several iDevice registered with 1 iTunes account. My wife doesn't want a soccer game installed automatically on her iPod, as I don't want cooking apps on my iPhone either. That's cool Android feature, but geeky and provides almost no value.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #108 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Asia where on Q3 2010 Android, OMS and Tapas combined surpassed Symbian?

There, I fixed it for you.
post #109 of 282
deleted
post #110 of 282
deleted
post #111 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There, I fixed it for you.

They're Android.

And TAPAS was launched on Q4 so I don't think there where a lot of smartphones with it on Q3
post #112 of 282
They think the iPad is popular because of it's touch screen. What's more, they see a lot of features Apple has left out, and therefore think they can make a better device than the iPad by having a touch screen device with more features.

But they don't understand. The iPad is not popular because of it's touchscreen per se, but because of the additional simplicity a touch screen provides. And Apple's simple launch screen and single, curated App Store and full-screen apps are all part of the simplicity. If they think a touch screen is valuable per se, and will be even more valuable with features piled on top, they will soon find out it ain't so.

Technologists tend to think technologies are valuable in themselves, and sales people tend to think more features is always better. This device sounds like these two kinds of people wrote the design. They need a level-headed product guy like Steve to set them straight (which of course he already has done with the iPad, though iOS 4 has ruined the simplicity a bit).
post #113 of 282
Geeez, the reason why apple designed the ios to have a grid of icons is because they didnt want you to focus on the os, instead, you should be focusing on the apps that you actually want to use. They took away all the fuss from the homescreen, simplified it, made it standard across all ios enabled devices (ipod touch, iphone, ipad, and in the future os x).

I think thats what google and other mobile companies fail to see, regular customers dont want to read the manual, read lengthy articles or ask anyone for help especially during the critical first few hours after purchasing the device. Ever heard of people complaining how absurdly complicated a device/program is and people tend to give up on it unless they really needed to sit down and learn the damn thing.

Apple is brilliant because they created this super simple user interface, then made the shell sexy as hell, and sold it at a premium. Their marketing machine is simple as it is clever as well.

Btw, im a windows software developer by day, and a mac addict by night; and if i had a choice, and developing ios apps paid really good money, id drop c# for objective-c in a heartbeat.

just thinking out loud ladies and gents
post #114 of 282
One thing that Honeycomb makes clear is that the Galaxy Tab, and all other Android tablets based on pre-Honeycomb versions of Android are now useless junk. No developer is going to waste time developing for these tablets, and it's pretty unlikely that carriers are going to push updates to them, even assuming it is technically feasible to do so, which it may not be.
post #115 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Second, I may have several iDevice registered with 1 iTunes account. My wife doesn't want a soccer game installed automatically on her iPod, as I don't want cooking apps on my iPhone either. That's cool Android feature, but geeky and provides almost no value.

Please, stop showing how ignorant you are about Android
post #116 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

They're Android.

And TAPAS was launched on Q4 so I don't think there where a lot of smartphones with it on Q3

Sorry, you're wrong, they aren't Android.
post #117 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sorry, you're wrong, they aren't Android.

Yes, they're a fork of Android.
post #118 of 282
deleted
post #119 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They think the iPad is popular because of it's touch screen. What's more, they see a lot of features Apple has left out, and therefore think they can make a better device than the iPad by having a touch screen device with more features.

But they don't understand. The iPad is not popular because of it's touchscreen per se, but because of the additional simplicity a touch screen provides. And Apple's simple launch screen and single, curated App Store and full-screen apps are all part of the simplicity. If they think a touch screen is valuable per se, and will be even more valuable with features piled on top, they will soon find out it ain't so.

Technologists tend to think technologies are valuable in themselves, and sales people tend to think more features is always better. This device sounds like these two kinds of people wrote the design. They need a level-headed product guy like Steve to set them straight (which of course he already has done with the iPad, though iOS 4 has ruined the simplicity a bit).

I agree with you 100%

An interesting note too is that apple creates their products consistently (to a high degree), and once people start using any of their devices, say an iphone, they instantly tend to think that the ipad must be as good as well. then they see the macbook, they instantly think it must be as good as well.

lo and behold, apple is getting a lot of new first time purchasers of their macs.
post #120 of 282
deleted
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad