or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says

54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says

post #1 of 104
More than half of Verizon's current Android and Blackberry users indicated they are likely to switch to the iPhone when it arrives on the Verizon network on Feb. 10, according to a new survey.

Online sample company uSamp, which conducted a "highly profiled online panel" of more than 700 smartphone users in late January, published the results Thursday. The survey found that 54 percent of respondents who have an Android or BlackBerry smartphone on Verizon are either very likely (25 percent) or somewhat likely (29 percent) to purchase the Verizon iPhone when it arrives next week.

The report could signal particularly grim news for Research in Motion, as BlackBerry users demonstrated higher interest in switching to the iPhone, with 66 percent indicating a probable switch, compared to 44 percent of Android users. RIM's BlackBerry has lost significant share on Verizon as the carrier has heavily promoted its Android offerings. With the arrival of the iPhone, the BlackBerry on Verizon has been relegated to third place.

Also of note, 26 percent of AT&T customers reported plans to purchase the Verizon iPhone on launch day. A larger survey from ChangeWave in January found that 16 percent of AT&T users were planning to switch, though 26 percent of AT&T iPhone users said they would change to Verizon.

For AT&T users intending to jumping ship, dropped calls were the main reason for leaving, with 48 percent of AT&T customers who plan to buy the Verizon iPhone citing dropped calls as the cause.

When the first reviews of the Verizon iPhone emerged Wednesday, reviewers indicated that the Verizon iPhone drops significantly less calls than the AT&T iPhone.

uSamp's survey also found that men are more likely to switch to the Verizon iPhone: 32 percent of males compared to 20 percent of females. As expected, younger respondents indicated they were more willing to wait in line on launch day, as well as more likely to switch overall. According to the report, among Verizon BlackBerry and Android smartphone owners, 71 percent of respondents aged 18-24 and 60 percent of those aged 25-34 are planning to switch.

uSamp reports a 3.6 percent margin of error for their results.

Apple and Verizon will begin selling the CDMA iPhone 4 at 7 a.m. on Feb. 10, though preorders for the device began on Thursday.
post #2 of 104
Android is being chased out to Asia & Afrika where Nokia and RIM are waiting
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
post #3 of 104
I know it is only one survey...but this can't be good news to RIM. The BB is starting to look stodgy, thick and "too many buttons" and RIM is looking clumsy and rudderless. Rather like MS and Google of late.

Edit: Not a criticism. Just an observation!
post #4 of 104
Maybe it's all those teenage executives running large corporations and the Whitehouse.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...7&postcount=16
post #5 of 104
I'm not surprised. The day that absurd claim of stealing so many AT&T customers I called this exact reality before any surveys.

Verizon won't be stealing AT&T Customers in droves, they will see the iPhone taking a large portion of their smartphone providers from within against Android and RIM options.
post #6 of 104
Most folks obviously can't afford Ferraris or Lamborghinis but an (arguable) luxury like an iPhone is within reach for many folks due to the subsidies and a relatively affordable increase in the phone plans.

People do appreciate quality products that work well. Android devices are cheap pieces of landfill junk, their OS while capable, just does not have the polish of iOS along with the hardware.

Put both phones side-by-side and and there is just no comparison in terms of fit, finish, usability, and quality. People will pick the most that they can afford and that will usually end up being Apple products.

Android fanboys will do everything and anything (from the comfort of their parent's basement) to tell you otherwise that an overly complex, micromanaging phone that requires a computer-science degree to manage is what you want. They'll tell you anything to make them feel like you'll have to provide them job-security to administer your Android system.

iOS simply works. It looks good, works great, and let's you use your spare time to do other things.
post #7 of 104
You gotta admit, that's a little bit funny.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #8 of 104
Told yas.

Those who understand Apple saw this coming.
post #9 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Most folks obviously can't afford Ferraris or Lamborghinis but an (arguable) luxury like an iPhone is within reach for many folks due to the subsidies and a relatively affordable increase in the phone plans.

People do appreciate quality products that work well. Android devices are cheap pieces of landfill junk, their OS while capable, just does not have the polish of iOS along with the hardware.

Put both phones side-by-side and and there is just no comparison in terms of fit, finish, usability, and quality. People will pick the most that they can afford and that will usually end up being Apple products.

Android fanboys will do everything and anything (from the comfort of their parent's basement) to tell you otherwise that an overly complex, micromanaging phone that requires a computer-science degree to manage is what you want. They'll tell you anything to make them feel like you'll have to provide them job-security to administer your Android system.

iOS simply works. It looks good, works great, and let's you use your spare time to do other things.

But, but, but..It's not OPEN!! *rollseyes*
post #10 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I know it is only one survey...but this can't be good news to RIM. The BB is starting to look stodgy, thick and "too many buttons" and RIM is looking clumsy and rudderless. Rather like MS and Google of late.

But wait, the BB is so awesome ... "It has a real keyboard so users can text with their thumbs, iPhone will never succeed"...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #11 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Android is being chased out to Asia & Afrika where Nokia and RIM are waiting

I thought the fact that the Android OS has been used, modified and stripped of Google's ads and released in China was pretty significant news, if not ironically humorous. That's what 'open' is all about I guess.
post #12 of 104
Rim = rip
post #13 of 104
I'm tempted, but I see little reason to pay $200 for practically the same phone I already own. I'll wait for the iPhone 5.
post #14 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

But, but, but..It's not OPEN!! *rollseyes*

You're right... Not open for attack and being compromised!
post #15 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm not surprised. The day that absurd claim of stealing so many AT&T customers I called this exact reality before any surveys.

Verizon won't be stealing AT&T Customers in droves, they will see the iPhone taking a large portion of their smartphone providers from within against Android and RIM options.

I think you're pretty much spot on, but they will pick up a lot of AT&T's business from NYC and San Francisco, where their networks are weak and the the tech blog offices are located. Outside of those markets, a lot of AT&T customers have no more complaints than those of any other network.
post #16 of 104
does anyone have a link to the original survey results? i wonder what the breakdown of the percentages is between the two.
post #17 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerPlanck View Post

I think you're pretty much spot on, but they will pick up a lot of AT&T's business from NYC and San Francisco, where their networks are weak and the the tech blog offices are located. Outside of those markets, a lot of AT&T customers have no more complaints than those of any other network.

Agreed.

All the tech journal whining comes from businesses directly in those markets. You don't see them whining about Seattle, for instance. If they did, they'd have a lot of explaining to do as AT&T Wireless was centered in Kirkland/Redmond.
post #18 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Maybe it's all those teenage executives running large corporations and the Whitehouse.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...7&postcount=16

Well the people at the White House act like teenagers, does that count?
post #19 of 104
Quote:

Why did you type edit if you wrote that all in one sitting, without having to go back and edit?

post #20 of 104
Ouch.
post #21 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

But wait, the BB is so awesome ... "It has a real keyboard so users can text with their thumbs, iPhone will never succeed"...

I dunno about you other iPhone users, but when I see my BlackBerry-Wielding friends using those keyboards, my brain splits in two. I can't comprehend using such a cramped, fiddly keyboard with such an uncomfortable, unsatisfying feeling. It's far more off-putting to me even than software keyboards apparently are to them.

In my experience, a soft-keyboard is significantly easier and more pleasant to use than a too-small physical one. But what do I know, eh? I advocate quiet, low-travel physical keyboards on computers. You know, like the ones Apple makes? I can't tell you how thrilled I was when Apple started making my perfect keyboards

They really are the absolute masters of human interfaces. Nobody does them better.

post #22 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahaj View Post

does anyone have a link to the original survey results? i wonder what the breakdown of the percentages is between the two.

Looks like the survey results are on Usamp.com
post #23 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I dunno about you other iPhone users, but when I see my BlackBerry-Wielding friends using those keyboards, my brain splits in two. I can't comprehend using such a cramped, fiddly keyboard with such an uncomfortable, unsatisfying feeling.

Well, that's beauty of choice that you get with Blackberry or Android -- if you want a physical keyboard, you can get one. If you don't, you don't have to have one (and on Android you can swap out the soft keyboard with another, like Swype). It's much nicer than being forced into The One True Way.
post #24 of 104
"to purchase the Verizon iPhone when it arrives next week

I expect the bulk of switchers to iPhone to come later, as contracts expire. Cheaper that way!

Id think that the early sales would be mainly to new smartphone owners, and to new Verizon smartphone owners (AT&T switchers).

Then again, my Android friends have had such mediocre experiences that they churn through new Android phones way faster than their contracts! Maybe theyre used to paying full price...
post #25 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You're right... Not open for attack and being compromised!

What are you talking about? Apple routinely patches dozens of security bugs in early iOS release. For example, here are all of the security patches in iOS 4.2 - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4456

According to the Wall St. Journal, both Android and iOs apps report private data to third parties - http://blogs.wsj.com/wtk-mobile/

Security is an issue for all mobile platforms. iOS isn't immune.
post #26 of 104
After the long wait, I still can't get an iphone due to a last minute job change and the need of a basic phone and verizons 14 exchange I like may other long time customers are stuck waiting out a contract for up to 2 years or shelling out an extra 400 bucks FU VERIZON the phones do not cost there outrajus prices i feel a class action law suit coming on, they cost 187 to build
post #27 of 104
So we can all agree that DROID DID?
post #28 of 104
Quote:

Most Verizon users eligible at our office are switching to the iPhone from BB. One is moving from Droid.
post #29 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I'm tempted, but I see little reason to pay $200 for practically the same phone I already own. I'll wait for the iPhone 5.

You're right. I can't buy one now anyway, so I might as well wait for iPhone 5. If Apple does go to plastic, which they did with the 3GS, then I can buy the "cheap" one and get stainless steel and glass. I'm just hoping they keep this model around for another year and a half.
post #30 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

After the long wait, I still can't get an iphone due to a last minute job change and the need of a basic phone and verizons 14 exchange I like may other long time customers are stuck waiting out a contract for up to 2 years or shelling out an extra 400 bucks FU VERIZON the phones do not cost there outrajus prices i feel a class action law suit coming on, they cost 187 to build

I probably seem like a complete idiot replying to to this, since this seems to fall under the category of "trolling just for the sake of trolling," but on the off-chance you actually mean it, here's my two cents.

First off, if there ever is a class action suit over this, I hope the lawyer has the brains to charge by the hour.

You said "FU Verizon." Good! That's well within your right as a consumer. But how exactly is charging outrageous prices grounds for a class-action lawsuit?
post #31 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why did you type edit if you wrote that all in one sitting, without having to go back and edit?

Don't know....sometimes I even reply to my own posts!
post #32 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

That $187 is the BOM cost for Apple and does not include a lot of other expenses. Verizon pays Apple over $600 per phone.
post #33 of 104
I grow more and more concerned with our society with everyday that passes by. It's as if we are becoming a nation of sheep who want things closed off and controlled by a single entity. This is why I can't bring myself to buy an iPhone or iPad even though I've been a proud Mac owner for almost twelve years now. I'm seeing a shift towards a one-hundred percent Apple controlled system and I really hope this does not leech over into the Mac OS. If it does I will leave the platform/company and never look back. I know others within the company that also feel this way.

Seeing this many people wanting to completely ditch an open platform for one that is closed and notorious for it's over the top rules and bullshit really makes me sick. I would prefer to not be a tech-nation that is driven by the products of one company. I don't want any one entity to have that much direct influence on any given part of my day to day life, but it seems as though Apple is trying more and more everyday to creep into all of our live with more and more shit rules that we really dont need. Honestly, I'm going to violently smack the next person I hear talking about using the iPad as any kind of replacement for a standard desktop/notebook machine. This whole "I'm going to mandate what you can and can't do on your own shit because I made it" mentality is the exact opposite direction that any developing technology should be moving in.

The Mac OS will be controlled in this manor within three years and people will just lap it up because it's Apple. Mark my words.
post #34 of 104
The Verizon worship is way overboard. A backlash is coming when lofty expectations are not met.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #35 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

I grow more and more concerned with our society with everyday that passes by. It's as if we are becoming a nation of sheep who want things closed off and controlled by a single entity. This is why I can't bring myself to buy an iPhone or iPad even though I've been a proud Mac owner for almost twelve years now. I'm seeing a shift towards a one-hundred percent Apple controlled system and I really hope this does not leech over into the Mac OS. If it does I will leave the platform/company and never look back. I know others within the company that also feel this way.

Seeing this many people wanting to completely ditch an open platform for one that is closed and notorious for it's over the top rules and bullshit really makes me sick. I would prefer to not be a tech-nation that is driven by the products of one company. I don't want any one entity to have that much direct influence on any given part of my day to day life, but it seems as though Apple is trying more and more everyday to creep into all of our live with more and more shit rules that we really dont need. Honestly, I'm going to violently smack the next person I hear talking about using the iPad as any kind of replacement for a standard desktop/notebook machine. This whole "I'm going to mandate what you can and can't do on your own shit because I made it" mentality is the exact opposite direction that any developing technology should be moving in.

The Mac OS will be controlled in this manor within three years and people will just lap it up because it's Apple. Mark my words.

Such a whiny person.

Darwin is Open Source.

LLVM is Open Source.

Clang is Open Source.

WebKit is Open Source.

Everything on MacOSForge from Apple is Open Source.

The overwhelming history of Computing has NEVER BEEN OPEN SOURCE.

Open Source has augmented the markets. Where it makes sense it has been added to the business plans for corporations down to individuals.

Nothing in Android will do for Open Source what Linux itself has done for Open Source.

Without Linux where would Android be?

All of this code below is Open Source:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/

OS X 10.6.6 foundation is All there.

Quit your whining.

Apple has bent over backwards to make itself Open Source and incredibly prosperous. Too bad you can't handle it, but the World is better off with Apple.
post #36 of 104
Quote:

We don't want junk. We're willing to pay for a quality experience. Android aint it. Windows Mobile 2 a la Google aint it.

Yes, and we'll lap it up BECAUSE it's Apple. Exactly. Precisely because it's a controlled system. Because we like an end-to-end turnkey solution that requires no work. Because we like lively yet predictable interfaces that even a 3-year old can manage in a few minutes, but which a CEO can take delight in because it saves time and is a breath of fresh air. Because we appreciate a tech company that actually pays attention to detail - down to the last pixel. Because we are willing to eschew "open" in favour of "elegant", "easy" and "convenient." Because we like tech that is meant to work for us - all of us - from kids to adults to grannies to tech-savvy to the tech-newbie. Because we like regular, uniform updates, no matter what device we have. Because we like a company that has enough respect for their OS to not allow junk-purveyors to get their hands on it.

Apple finds their market, finds their place in tech, and flourishes among the "open" options precisely because OPEN = BROKEN. There is no overarching standard with "open." No one to say "No." No one to implement any unifying vision that ties the entire ecosystem together. Android is a mess. Not all the open in the world is worth waiting for a fix, because a fix isn't coming. It can't come. Apple succeeds because they fix all this, and there is demand (in fact, substantial, unprecedented demand) to fix all this, and there always has been.
post #37 of 104
Quote:

First of all, no one is forcing anyone to buy Apple's stuff, so your histrionic handwringing over total control is ludicrous.

Secondly, your "open" platform is an advertising vehicle. If you're concerned about corporations creeping into more and more of your life, you need look no further than Google, which would like to be at the center of each and every part of your life, and use what they learn to sell you to the highest bidder.

Finally, what kind of champion of freedom feels the need to smack people for using their hardware however they want?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #38 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Well, that's beauty of choice that you get with Blackberry or Android -- if you want a physical keyboard, you can get one. If you don't, you don't have to have one (and on Android you can swap out the soft keyboard with another, like Swype). It's much nicer than being forced into The One True Way.

Yeah, I was forced at gunpoint to choose an iPhone. It was ugly. I felt violated. If only I had a choice.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

So we can all agree that DROID DID?

More like DIDN'T.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 104
Quote:

You are seriously delusional and are in desperate need of professional help for your aggression towards people that CHOOSE a technology based on THEIR needs and NOT yours!

The 3 people that I bought the first iPad for, consider me... not SJ or even Apple... a godsend for steering them towards it... because it was simple and DOES EVERYTHING they want to do on a computer; desktop, laptop, netbook or any clusterf***-conglomeration there of.

You lay a hand on my parents, my nephew, or my GF... and you'll have some serious problems on your hands, besides your remorse for being a complete idiot!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • 54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says